Best goalkeeping performances in the club's history?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by klayton88, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dec 3, 2017

klayton88 Full Member

Not even DDG can save him getting a ban.
  2. Dec 3, 2017

Charlie Foley Full Member

Noooo please can we keep him
  3. Dec 3, 2017

Traub Full Member

:lol: now I feel bad
  4. Dec 3, 2017

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't see how DDG yesterday was up there with the best performances in history.
    Only the double save was truly extraordinary. And the save from Lukaku was pretty good. Most of the other saves were pretty comfortable for a good GK.

Arsenal fans are kidding themselves if they think it was DDG who made them lose IMO.
  5. Dec 3, 2017

Prodigal7 Full Member

I am being completely serious when I say that you should go and see your Gp. I worry about your health.
  6. Dec 3, 2017

Klopp_De_Klown Full Member

Hmmm not that i disagree about all his deserved praise but having watched it twice in full and the highlights twice.

I say he had only 2 real saves to make, as above, the double save and the Lakaku one. The rest of them, most good keepers would have got. So to bang on and on about all these saves. I think its just playing into the arsenal notion of "only for DDG, we'd of..." Of course, he was magnificent and it should be acknowledged for the display. But how amazing were our defenders they blocked 12 shots.

And he could have came off his line for the goal i mean like he just stood there. What the hell are we paying him for?

Woody what ever the wage offer in the new deal is per week, just up it by 20K get him signed and fast!
  7. Dec 3, 2017

Acole9 Outstanding

Quite a few years ago now but the Southend keeper against us in the League Cup was phenomenal. We peppered their goal and he wasn't letting anything past him.
  8. Dec 3, 2017

berbatrick Full Member Scout

Didn't see the away game at Madrid mentioned here. The save from Coentrao is one of his best ever, one with his feet on the line, there was a deflected shot from khedira and he just held it with others lurking, and probably 10 "routine" saves.

9. Dec 3, 2017

If he goes on a spree am I liable for setting him off accidentally?
  10. Dec 3, 2017

SpyLuke10 Full Member

I kind of agree, for me his performance against Arsenal didn't quite stand out too much. Arsenal fans acting like they dominated and deserved to win but I can hardly think of many occasions where they really tested our keeper, a lot of forced shots but stupid angles and distances but hardly any clear cut chances. I mean aside from that double save and the save to that big Lacazette chance in the first half (maybe another one somewhere), I wasn't blown away at all by any of the saves he made. Maybe my standards are higher because I'm just so used to seeing De Gea pull out world class saves, likewise Arsenal fans are used to Cech, who is well and truly past his best imo, not a top 6 level keeper.

Anyway there are two performances that stand out to me the most out of all of the goalkeeper performances I've ever seen (I'm too young to have seen Schmeichel), De Gea vs Everton 2014 and De Gea vs Liverpool 2014. De Gea vs Everton sticks out especially because that is the game where it first dawned on me how good he actually was, where I was like wow this guy might actually be the one of the world's best. That amazing 1v1 save, the save to Baines' penalty, the unreal double save late in the match (the save to the second shot is the best save I've ever seen). I literally felt after watching that that we could easily have lost 4-2 or something like that and yet somehow we won 2-1. De Gea single handedly carried the team on that day imo. He won us the 3 points.
  11. Dec 3, 2017

Redknapp going on about De Gea's critics. Having spent the season saying Hart was better
  12. Dec 3, 2017

MuranoLover Full Member

David De Gea made 14 saves last night...
    No goalkeeper has made more in a single Premier League game in HISTORY
  13. Dec 3, 2017

Whiteside1985 Full Member

This was the best goal-keeping performance I've seen.
    Not just the saves he made, but the importance of the match and the pressure they put us under.
    This performance changed the momentum of the title race and one of those rare 10/10 performances for me.

DDG was fantastic on Saturday, but this was my 'all time' best I've seen from a United 'keeper.
  14. Dec 3, 2017

Moby Dick

This is a classic. :lol:
  15. Dec 3, 2017

Holy shit his profile says he's 47
  16. Dec 3, 2017

Coxy Full Member

Really? Just watched the video and there’s only 2 saves..? And yeah they were good but de Gea’s saves were outstanding
  17. Dec 4, 2017

What impresses me most about those Newcastle saves is the physical power he has. I don't know another keeper who could smother the ball on that first Ferdinand chance like that. The one a few minutes later, such strong wrists. What a monster he was.
  18. Dec 4, 2017

Mciahel Goodman Worst Werewolf Player of All Times Staff

Look at his support section.

How any of you took this clown seriously I'll never know.
  19. Dec 4, 2017

Stobzilla Official Team Perv

And it's wrong as well. Bergkamp took the penalty.
  20. Dec 4, 2017

lex talionis Full Member

I can appreciate the point that some of the saves Dave had to make yesterday were fairly routine for a keeper of his level, but it's hard to imagine any other keeper on the planet keeping Arsenal down to one goal yesterday. A keeper of Mignolet's level would have conceded at least four. I honestly can't see even Courtois keeping it under three.
  21. Dec 4, 2017

meamth Full Member

You know what? That Lacazette goal is like a measure of how intimidating he is.
    Ramsey must be thinking, "He will save this, i'll pass to Lacazette to give him no chance". The pundits were saying that Ramsey is gutless, not a scorer.
    But put yourself in that position, scary thought, I'd do the same.
    It's like a dark souls boss battle in impossible mode.
    All hail De God.
  22. Dec 4, 2017

can't see it on my phone, what's it say?
  23. Dec 4, 2017

Decomposing In Paris Full Member

Supports:
    United, & Coleraine FC
    Yes, best GK performance I've ever seen, and that includes Schmeichel against Newcastle.
  24. Dec 4, 2017

Steven7290 Full Member

The double save against Lacazette/Sanchez, especially that foot save was truly and literally breathtaking. Everyone in the bar just had their eyes and mouths wide open in complete disbelief :lol:
  25. Dec 4, 2017

Murray3007 Full Member

Was Truely a world class performance, hes had that many great games now for the club, the one v Liverpool few years back and also against Everton where he was fantastic. said a few years back if he can keep up these performances he would be the best GK ever and he just keeps getting better and better.
  26. Dec 5, 2017

Class of 63 Full Member

De Gea's performance on Saturday was right up there with Mark Bosnich's heroics in the 1999 Intercontinental Cup against Palmeiras in Tokyo.
  27. Dec 5, 2017

Mal donaghy Full Member

Schmeical against Newcastle away 96.
    Also the euro 92 final against Germany, I doubt there has ever been a match won by a keeper like that game, the whole tournament was his really.
  28. Dec 5, 2017

Paz ex-Goldman Sachs Janitor, Martial hater

Schmeicel was immense in this game:

29. Dec 5, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

Growing up watching Big Pete and the performances he put in, I always thought we'd never have a keeper like it. DDG is there right now and has the opportunity to surpass Big Pete, which would be incredible!
  30. Dec 5, 2017

youngrell Full Member

A couple of unbelievable stops but most of the rest were routine for a top 'keeper.

Excellent display, but maybe not even his best, never mind best of all time for the club.
  31. Dec 5, 2017

Ish Lights on for Luke

Just seen this :lol:
  32. Dec 5, 2017

Billy Blaggs No mates but his cousins love him

Me too. Comedy gold.
  33. Dec 5, 2017

DCP New Member

DDG was awesome against Arsenal on Saturday, that save against Lacazette was out of this world, and he looked disappointed in himself that he didn't save the goal.

However, yes he made 14 saves, the rest was fairly routine... which goes to show how amazing he is. You expect him to save everything.

Chelsea in the cup a few years ago, vs Real, vs Everton....you could literally name dozens of matches.
  34. Dec 5, 2017

Ish Lights on for Luke

Some right gems all over the Caf at the moment Billy.
  35. Dec 5, 2017

ghagua Full Member

De Gea's performance against Arsenal is the best goalkeeping performance I have seen from any United goalkeeper. I saw nearly every game Schmeichel and Van Der Sar played, but this was the best performance for me.
  36. Dec 5, 2017

Pyroblazer That's a hot jacket, man

The one vs Arsenal is probably my top one too. It's difficult to compare his performances with Schmeichel or VdS because they rarely needed to save us that much, while Dave is/was our keeper when we were a bit shit, I still think there aren't many keepers who can save you as many points as he did. He is a match winner like strikers who score 2 or 3 for your team, just amazing.

The Pool game under van Gaal which we won 3-0 was amazing too, we played great on that day, but so did Pool and it could have ended 4-3 or something, but Dave made sure that we won it comfortable.
  37. Dec 5, 2017

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

Yeah its hard to beat that one.

It blew my tiny mind back then, I remembered they showed about 20 replays of it and each time I was mystified as to how he did it.
  38. Dec 5, 2017

Billy Blaggs No mates but his cousins love him

I'll keep a look out.:D
  39. Dec 6, 2017

buchansleftleg Full Member

An Amazing save but for me Big Pete's against Rapid Vienna was the best ever....i knocked over a table of drinks i was so shocked....worth every penny!
  40. Dec 8, 2017

keithsingleton New Member

I never thought i'd see the day that i saw a better goalkeeper than Schmeichel at Old Trafford. For me DeGea now just edges it, only just mind. :D