Bodyguard- BBC 1 | Show has fully aired, so beware of 'spoilers'

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Habs, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Aug 28, 2018

Habs Full Member

Anyone else caught the first two episodes of this?

Just started last night, from the creators of Line of duty. Thought the first two episodes were really good, definitely worth a watch.
  2. Aug 28, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

I've seen both, really enjoyed both. Highly recommend it, best programme BBC have put out for about a year.
  3. Aug 29, 2018

esmufc07 Elvis has theft the building Scout

Just starting this. Robb Stark looks completely different.
  4. Aug 29, 2018

Alock1 Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

Haven't started this yet but looking forward to it.

Not enough people on here have seen Line Of Duty.
  5. Aug 29, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Just watched the first two eps. It's very very good.
  6. Sep 23, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Finale just been on. Thoughts?
  7. Sep 23, 2018

Heardy Full Member

The dasarming of the vest was pretty tense, but i was disappointed by the finale in the main.

i thougjt it had been a good series, but it didnt plan as i expected. i expected Julia to be alive and there to have been more made of the conspiracy within the secret service.
  8. Sep 23, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Yeah they didn't really go into this.

I get the Aitken/Superintendent thing but then why were the security services so dodgy. I assumed they had been working with Julia and supplied her with the compromat so she could seize power from the PM but then she died and they had to make sure that didn't come out?
  9. Sep 23, 2018

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

The very last twist was a tad too far IMO. Almost comic book movie shlock. And even if we go with it as a plausible motivation...

Why admit to it? In a long Bond villain monologue no less? There was no reason other than the show needed to wrap it all up

That bit was pretty daft from all angles, really.

Still, largely excellent show otherwise. And it’s always hard to stick the landing. Even Line of Duty has had a few silly finales. But as an otherwise top tier show, it was a pretty underwhelming ending.

How he’s managed to write this, plus a whole new Line of Duty in under 2 years though is frankly sickeningly productive. I much prefer my creatives to be as lazy and procrastinatory as me.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  10. Sep 23, 2018

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Kind of wish they kept a few loose ends at the finish line and somehow linked it with the security services too. There is a second season so hopefully that gets expanded on. Cracking series all-round though.
  11. Sep 24, 2018

Un4givableB Full Member

I downloaded the whole series l will start to watch it, in the next few days. I hope it lives up to the hype.
  12. Sep 24, 2018

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

Enjoyed it. As with the consensus above, some minor issues with the actual ending but you can foresee the secret service involvement being the main driving force for S2.
  13. Sep 24, 2018

Thomas A.Anderson Full Member

First three episodes were pretty good but after that they just ran of steam. Pretty forgettable at the end.
  14. Sep 24, 2018

Heardy Full Member

Surprised this thread hasn't had much traffic - i thought the show has widely watched, so expected more opinions on it tbh.
  15. Sep 24, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

Really big fan but thought the finale was poor. Seemed a bit rushed, and some of it just seemed ridiculous, like him being able to run on foot from the police after ditching the vest.
  16. Sep 25, 2018

Reddy Rederson Full Member

Just binged the series. Really good show I thought, with the exception of
    that last twist. Seemed a bit trying too hard to be twisty just for the sake of being twisty.
  17. Sep 25, 2018

SteveJ all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian Scout

18. Sep 25, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

:lol: Just what I was thinking.
  19. Sep 25, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I finished it yesterday. Far-fetched in places certainly, but a good enjoyable romp, and very tense in places.

A couple of things bugged me that haven't been mentioned as far as I'm aware:

Budd's out for a drink with the dodgy girl who was sacked from Montague's office. She's trying to deceive and ultimately trap him, but she arranges to be picked up by a baddun in a massive black car just outside the cafe where Budd can snap away at the plate. Could be she did it purposely to lull him in, but why wouldn't he think something's amiss with being given that info so easily? Strange either way for me

The corrupt female officer is asked 'so you told them about Budd's kids?' and she says 'no, I'd never do that to one of my team' and she's instantly believed and Budd's suspicion moves immediately to Nadiya, 'the only one who knew about my kids'. So the dirty cop would sell police officers out in just about every other way, putting them at risk of losing their lives, but definitely wouldn't have mentioned his kids because she says so? Seemed off, and little more than a quick way of getting to the reveal
  20. Sep 25, 2018

Zen Full Member

The finale was so long I got insanely bored and stopped caring.
  21. Sep 25, 2018

theyneverlearn and this one probably never will

Also there is no way it would have taken them so long to link Budd to the shooter he was in the army with. That would of shown up immediately on the systems they have these days.

Also, the bomb vest could have been cut away once the DMS was secured. The straps were not booby trapped, and as shown by how fast he could remove it, it wasn't on tight.
  22. Sep 25, 2018

Yeah I think loads of people have said Budd would most probably have been linked to Andy far earlier as the connection would have been checked as matter of routine as soon as they were involved in the same incident on top of the tower. Once he becomes a person of ever-increasing interest in the investigation it's certain the link is exposed earlier. Mercurio said on Newsnight something like 'they were not in the same regiment so the link may have stayed hidden for longer' but nobody's buying that.

As for the vest didn't he say something about a booby trap set across various components, which was why he couldn't tamper with or remove the vest himself? My memory's not too good on the specifics of that so I could be wrong. Either way I happily bought that as a decent excuse to stage the classic wire cutting scenario, which is what we all wanted as soon as we saw him trussed up in the vest, let's face it.
  23. Sep 25, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

Very good series all in all, despite running somewhat out of steam towards the end.

Have they confirmed a season 2?
  24. Sep 25, 2018

Yes I think it was booby trapped, that's why he had to disable the power source first.
  25. Sep 25, 2018

Maybe you or @Habs should edit the title, spoilers abound in this thread.
  26. Sep 26, 2018

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    I enjoyed the series despite it requiring a massive suspension of disbelief. I didn't hear any of the speculation until the final episode - when they were talking about it on the radio.

The popular speculation that the Home Secretary was still alive didn't even occur to me. I guess because I was so impressed when they killed her off, I'd have been disappointed if that had been a fake.

The final reveals did all seem rather Scooby Doo. But then Agatha Christie built multiple characters/stories on that idea - it's a great British tradition.

The plot twist I was "hoping" for got more or less killed in the radio speculation.

The radio chat said another series was planned. That made it unlikely that Budd was the bad guy, albeit the mentally ill bad guy. Up until then I'd had a vague hope that we were building up to an unreliable narrator finale - if only because it would have been such a change for a BBC cop show.

Anyway, despite the misgivings and the implausibility I still enjoyed it. I probably enjoyed it even more because it was episodic TV and everyone was watching at the same time. More like live football and less like box-set binging.
  27. Sep 26, 2018

beedoubleyou Full Member

Yes. Where did the helicopters go?
  28. Sep 26, 2018

Is the Bodyguard thread safe to go into yet? :D
  29. Sep 26, 2018

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

It's 'BBC good'. Compared to the quality shows on other networks/subscriptions it's just diverting, well-structured but nonsensical tosh. Like Line of Duty.
  30. Sep 27, 2018

NinjaFletch Full Member

It's a shame that ending was so terrible because it was a good show up till then.

Worse still, perhaps, is it that the Nadiya character was a ridiculously shallow caricature of at least three different stereotypes. Making her the mastermind to go 'hah, weren't you ridiculous for thinking this woman was being manipulated' simply trades one stereotype for another.

Presumably the second series will focus on the actions of the intelligence community, so I don't see why we needed the loose end of who the bomb maker was tied up so unsatisfactorily.

Moreover, is 'being an engineer' all you really need to make bombs as sophisticated as the devices the show told us these bomb were? It seems at best implausible that someone who clearly wasn't flagged up as suspicious in anyway would be so highly skilled.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  31. Sep 27, 2018

Memo to Bodyguard writers: Muslim women are more than victims or terrorists ~
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...amophobic-attacks-muslim-terrorist-stereotype
  32. Sep 27, 2018

I can see what the writer is saying. There is no doubt we need TV and film with better portrayals of Muslims outside of the binary victim/aggressor stereotypes, which the elements of the Riz test would help us to do.

However as I said in the Fear of Muslims/Islam thread I have concerns about Riz's wholesale adoption that I don't have about other inclusivity tests such as Bechdel. In my opinion where the latter is a simple set of rules geared towards having films and shows reflect positively the reality that women do occasionally talk about issues which don't concern a man, Riz when followed fundamentally would negatively skew reality by prohibiting screenwriters from including Muslim characters that are victims, aggressors and indeed terrorists. We need less Islamic stereotypes and a richer blend of others portrayals, not an arbitrary ban on the former.

Therefore while I agree with much of that article and appreciate the writer's "[hope] that the writers would change the narrative and make her the unsung hero" derives from an exhaustion with seeing the same old shit about herself and her people, which I don't share and cannot fully understand, where Mercurio decided to go with the Nadiya character isn't inherently wrong in my opinion.
  33. Sep 27, 2018

NinjaFletch Full Member

Even if you ignore the author's general point about wider representations I think it can be agreed that it was just cheap.

We've had a world of corruption, intrigue and crime going right to the top in a show that's done a pretty good bait and switch on the Islamic extremism front. We have a lose end to be sewn up and the confusing behaviour of the intelligence service to be explored.

Instead of doing any of that we had a 2d cardboard cutout of an Islamic extremist and a lol feck you guys it was terrorism after all ending. If you wanted one final twist and to make Nadiya the bad guy there were ways of doing it far better and which could have salvaged her character.
  34. Sep 27, 2018

I agree, the way it was done wasn't to my tastes either. The political intrigue that had simmered for the best part of six hours was dropped too quickly and Budd bought the dirty cop saying 'I wouldn't do that to my own team' absolutely at face value and jumped immediately towards Nadiya.

I'd stop short of saying I felt cheated by a 2d extremest and a lol terrorism twist though. As said I think it's a perfectly legitimate way to go, the actress did perfectly well moving from pitiful to powerful (I admit I'm a sucker for any kind of Primal Fear-esque transformation in a character) and though it's obviously not the positive representation the author of the Guardian piece is talking about the way Nadiya scolded Budd and his colleagues for letting her manipulate them by playing a stereotype was interesting in of itself for me.
  35. Sep 27, 2018

Tarrou Full Member

not sure why but just didnt take to this, gave up after the second
  36. Sep 27, 2018

A bit harsh, I'd have at least watched for a full minute before bailing.
  37. Sep 30, 2018

Dirty Schwein Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album

I enjoyed it. Thought it stated really strong then lost steam once he started boning Montague but then picks up again. Agreed, the final twist was a bit Scooby Doo but the episode was fine.
  38. Oct 31, 2018

baskinginthesun Full Member

Netflix picked it up here in the US. Not sure about other regions. Just finished it yesterday.

Decent TV show. Agree with most people here that the end was a bit of a "really?" moment. They probably wanted to do more but, were committed to 6 episodes so they needed to get it finished. Not sure what they could do in the 2nd season besides doing a brand new story. I think the storyline in season 1 is finished and there isn't much room to expand on.

Could have done without the physical relationship between Budd and Julia. I think it could have been better had they stuck with "sexual tension" and some underlying feelings for each other. Otherwise, this relationship is just sex and he somehow then becomes all "emotional" for her when she dies. Plus, with all the supposed surveillance and security, surely this would have been exposed much quicker.
  39. Nov 3, 2018

Acrobat7 Full Member

Please help me out. Hiw could Nadya give info on his kids to the terrorists when she was in police custody the whole time? What am I missing?
  40. Nov 3, 2018

The fact that Mercurio is a hack.