Brian McClair interview | Ex-United academy director talking Lingard, McTominay and Pogba

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by United_We_Stand, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mar 2, 2018

United_We_Stand Full Member

2. Mar 2, 2018

pascell Full Member

Wouldn't mind reading the whole thing and see what he says about Ravel.
  3. Mar 2, 2018

United_We_Stand Full Member

Check the screenshots in the second tweet.
  4. Mar 2, 2018

Bastian Full Member

What I find most interesting about that is that he puts Scott in the group with Marcus and Jesse as the best players in their age groups all the way through their development. Most people on here would tell you that Scott was never anything special and only got the nod from Jose because of his size.
  5. Mar 2, 2018

poleglass red Full Member

Players that are special is not what we need right now, we've enough of them, what we don't have are enough team players. That been one of our criticisms this season, that we play like a bunch of individuals. Players like McTominay and even Lingard aren't blessed with outrageous skill, but they are team players. No surprise that Matic played his best game since the start of the season v Chelsea with McTominay in alongside him. Playing v his old team didn't hurt either but having McTominay in there helps him massively. He could also help Pogba as well in that regard. Both players very brave as well, that whack McTominay took the other week. Got hit, took his treatment and then back into the mix, great to see. Even City for all their skill, they still need a Fernandinho in there as well. Teams need a balance of skill and grit. Pogba's confidence a bit low right now, but with a solid platform of Matic and McTominay in a 3 with could be crucial, certainly in big games until the end of the season.
  6. Mar 2, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

What a load of shit, he got the nod because we needed someone in midfield because of the injuries and issues we had, McTominay was clearly the best player for that and he took his chance and showed Jose he was right to put his faith in him. Nothing to do with size at all.
  7. Mar 2, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Great stuff, I'll have a read later.

Also Brian has got a very strong look going on.
  8. Mar 2, 2018

Bastian Full Member

I agree. But I did see plenty of those posts.
  9. Mar 2, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

It doesn't surprise me to be honest, people tend to look at things from a skewed perspective.
  10. Mar 2, 2018

mark_a Full Member

Very strong. In fact, is he actually now Aidan Moffat?
  11. Mar 2, 2018

Infra-red Full Member

Always comes across as a thoughtful, intelligent chap.
  12. Mar 2, 2018

ValenciaRocks New Member

Could not agree more with this.

Absolutely spot on. It's the players that know the club through and through that usually provide that grit. The academy players who have both underlying determination and accompanying skills to provide the core of the team, and foreign mavericks who provide the team with unrivalled flair.

Like you said, the key is balance. It's unlikely that the first 11 are going to be academy players (unless your Barcelona) but you hope that at least 3 or 4 of them are.

It makes us prouder as fans to have these sorts of players coming through and it also segregates us from our neighbours.
  13. Mar 2, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

He's talking shit if he said that. McTominay has got the nod because his competition was Redmond and Willock in which Redmond is rubbish and Willock is decent technically but not much else. He has obviously impressed in training and has been OK in his appearances. To claim he was up with Rashford and Jesse as the best players in their age group is just non-sense though. Axel is at the top of his age group, McTominay has never been spoken in the same breath as him. Unless he is considering Axel as the next year in which case McTominay's year group was just a bit shit and CBJ was probably the highest rated.
  14. Mar 2, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Well, that's the thing. Maybe the internal views on him did not lead to external hype. He's obviously talking about his whole youth career with us, so it's not just the last 2-3 years where other players have looked good, as he said, he's had an injury (didn't he?) and the growth spurt that stalled him a bit.
  15. Mar 2, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

There are numerous posters here who know internal staff and who is rated highly from all age groups all the way down. McTominay was never in the bracket with Rashford or Lingard.
  16. Mar 2, 2018

mav_9me Full Member

I find it hard to believe that the coaches internally thought Mctominay was the best or one of the best in his age group. He has been fine, did well for us in a limited role. But to say he was always thought of as the best??? Highly doubt that. Think he just threw his name in there.

Unless @jb8521 or @khoazany or one of the other more knowledgeable posters know more about it.
  17. Mar 2, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Would be interesting to clear that up.
  18. Mar 2, 2018

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

He does look like he was the runt of the litter doesn't he?
    No wonder he's impressed a few managers. He's obviously had to battle it out a bit.
  19. Mar 2, 2018

pascell Full Member

Oh yeah, thanks!
  20. Mar 2, 2018

djdhrubs Full Member

What a beard!

He used to infuriate the hell out of me always shooting too close to the goalkeeper. Also he had one of the most boring diaries which he used to write for some United fanzine back in the day, called 'Choccie's diary'.
  21. Mar 2, 2018

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

Choccy's diary was mint.
  22. Mar 2, 2018

clarkydaz Full Member

I find this ironic when it appears this is what Jose expected him to be
  23. Mar 2, 2018

Ali Dia Full Member

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    Best thing about the magazine for me!
  24. Mar 2, 2018

Same. Choccy's sense of humour was always spot on. I wonder why he hasn't gone into punditry. He would be great in it.
  25. Mar 2, 2018

ValenciaRocks New Member

Please can you name a player (in recent times) that is from the academy of any club in the EPL, which has demonstrated the maturity and tactical awareness of McTomminay. The lad is beyond his years.

Plus, how do you know axel was rated higher at youth level? Just curious
  26. Mar 2, 2018

Denis' cuff Full Member

Yep, always looked forward to the latest Chochys Diary. Best part of the mag.

That pic... almost shocked to see him look like that now.Looks a far cry from his cheerful, youthful demeanour.
  27. Mar 2, 2018

Beaucoup Full Member

McClair is one of the reasons our Academy was still in the dark ages until the recent revamp.
  28. Mar 2, 2018

RedNed77 Full Member

So we are now taking the words of ITK's rather than the person who ran our academy for 15 years :houllier:
  29. Mar 2, 2018

kundalini Full Member

McClair's quote relates to the youngest age groups. He does not say McTominay was the best in his age group. He says if you asked the coaches of the youngest age groups (meaning primary school age kids 7-11), they would say Rashford, Lingard and McTominay.

There is an article in the Guardian today which contains a passage that supports McClair's opinion regarding McTominay's ability as a child. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/02/scott-mctominay-manchester-united-road
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  30. Mar 2, 2018

jb8521 Full Member

I think he's talking about what the scouts/coaches saw in him in the younger age groups. He was always in the squads or the foreign tournaments and played up an age group in some which is usually a good sign that the coaches rate a player. In terms of what they actually showed on the pitch I'd say Henderson, Borthwick-Jackson, Riley & Mitchell were probably the stand outs from his age group.
  31. Mar 2, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

I love how a forum can decide what McTominay was like at youth level despite the majority not watching our youth sides. Don’t mean you btw @jb8521

McTominay is a very good player. People who don’t see it don’t understand football. There’s a reason he’s starting for us and both the SFA and English FA are trying to cap him.
  32. Mar 2, 2018

Bwuk Full Member

Why do you think Riley never kicked on? Always felt he did ok in his limited first team appearances?
  33. Mar 2, 2018

jb8521 Full Member

I think he's stagnated a bit from staying at u23s level too long although he was unlucky with the injury he got on loan last season. Personally I thought he deserved more first team chances after how well he played when he got his chance.
  34. Mar 3, 2018

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

This. The talent is very clear to see. But for some reason people decide he's average because he doesn't make defence splitting passes.
  35. Mar 3, 2018

nokillingmoths Full Member

It was the official united magazine. I've got them all.
  36. Mar 3, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Loved Choccy wish he was still at the club.
  37. Mar 3, 2018

wolvored Full Member

He did used to fudge it sometimes though
  38. Mar 3, 2018

Fully Fledged Full Member

Because he's national performance director for Scotland.

I've just seen he left the post.
  39. Mar 3, 2018

Everyone in here knows what I think of ex players coming back as coaches mainly because of their connection with the club. However, when Choccy returned I was happy. Jeez I missed his diary whom I read religiously up until the mag got too ridiculously expensive to buy.

I find most players to be either stupid (Owen and Savage), with an axe to grind (Hargreaves), boring (Phil, Becks etc) or psychos (Keane). Choccy was damn funny and with a tinge of some solid know how of what he's talking about. That's a rare thing in football.
  40. Mar 3, 2018

Fully Fledged Full Member

I loved him when he was here.