Cameron Borthwick-Jackson | Leeds Loan Watch

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by MyOnlySolskjaer, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Sep 16, 2017

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

8 games in Leeds are Top of the Championship.

Anyone following how he's doing?
  2. Sep 16, 2017

Nick7 Full Member

Grand total of 82 minutes game time and one appearance in the league.
  3. Sep 16, 2017

MJJ Full Member

Really don't understand why we don't put in a recall clause or some sort of playing time agreement
  4. Sep 16, 2017

Nick7 Full Member

Because to be quite honest, he's not going to make it here. This is probably his last loan before being sold.
  5. Sep 16, 2017

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Ah... Not good.
  6. Sep 16, 2017

MJJ Full Member

Still its not good for the player's development.
  7. Sep 16, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

Wonder what it is that separates the likes of Borthwick-Jackson and Varela from the likes of Lingard and Cleverley for example?

From what I could see of them in a United shirt, they didn't look out of place at all. I even remember some games where I'd probably say they were our best player on the pitch. And yet somehow months later they're deemed "not good enough"

We need to build more homegrown stars instead of always letting them go (Keane)
  8. Sep 16, 2017

Nick7 Full Member

Because the managers actually work with them and see them everyday to notice their weaknesses. Varela was crap and had an awful attitude anyway. If BJ was half as good as people think he wouldn't be struggling terribly to get a game in the championship two years on the trot.
  9. Sep 16, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

Harry Kane struggled for minutes at Leicester and Norwich.
  10. Sep 16, 2017

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Tbf the championship season is long. He will eventually get playing time I feel
  11. Sep 16, 2017

Jaybomb Banned

We shouldn't ever do business with them. They're in the Liverpool/City bracket for me.

Except the hatred isn't mutual on our side. We just pity them these days.
  12. Sep 16, 2017

Nick7 Full Member

You could pick out an expection for everything. BJ was horrible last season. Started the first few games and was in horrid form before losing his place and not even getting into the Wolves reserves. He's simply just not good enough.
  13. Sep 16, 2017

But I'm sure they still hate us. So loans to them never make sense. It was like our loan of Januzaj to a big club like Dortmund. Once they knew they had zero chance of signing him, they made it a point to stall him. And it seems their plan worked....
  14. Sep 16, 2017

We've sent him on two questionable loan deals. Rather than deals that guarantee him the required game time he needs to develop
  15. Sep 16, 2017

Nick7 Full Member

Was Wolves a questionable loan deal? It seemed like a fine place for him and he was getting regular game time at the start until they realised he wasn't good enough and was costing them.
  16. Sep 18, 2017

Yes. Why would anyone trust Paul Lambert with their young players? Furthermore, no one will convince me Borthwick-Jackson was 'costing' Wolves games. Yet he played a season for us at a higher level not costing us games.
  17. Sep 18, 2017

KN5 Full Member

Keane isn't a star. Not even close.
  18. Sep 18, 2017

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

He didn't though. He broke his leg early into his Norwich spell and then was recalled shortly after coming back. He was the loaned out to Leicester a few weeks later and played there.

Even if he did struggle for minutes, it doesn't really prove anything. For the vast majority of time footballers who struggle for minutes at weak teams don't get to become stars at much bigger clubs.
  19. Sep 18, 2017

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

We've sent him to Championship teams. He was playing at Wolves before it turned out he was a poor player. If he cannot get time in that league he won't make it here.
  20. Oct 31, 2017

pascell Full Member

Sorry for the bump, any idea how this loan is going? Given our LB problem I thought he might be an option next season for at least a spot in the first team squad.
  21. Oct 31, 2017

Bwuk Full Member

22. Oct 31, 2017

pascell Full Member

Cheers for that mate! After playing around 7 games for Wolves for the entire of last season, I guess he isn't going to make it at United unless a drastic turn around. Fortunately for him he's still only 20 so has time on his side, I'd rather see Mitchell get game time ahead of him though but they both have looked very bright in spells.
  23. Oct 31, 2017

Green_Red Full Member

Used to be fiery rivalry in the 90s. Easy to forget how big that game was.
  24. Oct 31, 2017

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    He looked half decent when LvG gave him a game, thought he had a great left peg on him and looked like he could whip a decent cross in. Shame he's not played more.
  25. Oct 31, 2017

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Cameron's more of a natural defender than Demi, I'm genuinely surprised that Jose hasn't given him more of a go. Given our struggles at left back, and the fact Borthwick-Jackson is a big lad (which Jose clearly likes in a player), I thought he might go on tour and get a chance. Two summers running the boss has shown limited interested in the kid. Not looking good for his chances of making it at Man Utd is it?
  26. Oct 31, 2017

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

Leeds were flying without him, but once they hit a rough patch I hoped they might decide to freshen things up with his inclusion. They didn't and he's played nothing like enough football these past 18 months.
  27. Oct 31, 2017

pascell Full Member

I thought the same, not to mention that he is a great crosser of the ball like he showed when he played under LvG, something which would benefit Lukaku greatly and give us another threat down the left side. I hope we recall him from his loan at Leeds and send him somewhere where he will get minutes as he's just stagnating at the moment, which isn't good for the player. His chances are looking really, really slim which is a shame as we could have two/three promising LBs in Borthwick-Jackson, Mitchell and Shaw, none of them look like making the grade.
  28. Oct 31, 2017

Nickosaur Full Member

Supports:
    United/Brighton & Hove
    Fecks sake, another wasted loan for the lad.
  29. Oct 31, 2017

SambaBoy Full Member

He's quite weak though, he used to be a CB coming up through the Academy but got moved to LB when approaching the U18's as he was getting bullied playing in the centre. He's a very good crosser of the ball and decent enough going forward, was quite ropey defensively at times.
  30. Oct 31, 2017

Zlatattack Full Member

It is odd really. I think he looked reasonably good for us playing under LvG. I also wonder if the championship is a good place to loan young some young players, especially those who aren't as physically mature as others. I reckon he might have been more suited to a foreign league to develop the game experience for a couple of years and then maybe a stint at a championship team or a premier league team.
  31. Oct 31, 2017

I personally do not understand loaning a kid like that to a hated rival who stand a chance of promotion. There is zero chance of them developing the player for you. I don't care how good he is. As a club we need to pick consistently better loan deals than we currently do.
  32. Oct 31, 2017

Nickosaur Full Member

Supports:
    United/Brighton & Hove
    Yep. Leeds seemed a bizarre choice when the news broke.
  33. Oct 31, 2017

RU Devil Full Member

Possibly he preferred to stay in a domestic league vs going to another country? I can see where a player of his seeming ability & rather slim physique is more suited to develop in another league. Maybe he's better off playing LW instead of LB?
  34. Oct 31, 2017

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Doubtful, he has come up playing at CB and still has even played CB for Leeds. His attacking game pretty much starts and ends with him just smashing crosses in with whip.
  35. Dec 9, 2017

Irrational. Full Member

He needs to be recalled. Leeds are taking the piss - one appearance in the league all season. Not even in the squad the majority of games.
  36. Dec 9, 2017

Brophs The one and only

It really is an odd one. He looked good for us in some of his appearances but he’s barely kicked a ball since. The number of managers since LVG who have decided he wasn’t for them would suggest he’s not up to it, but loans can be tricky. Managers often want to use their own players even if they’re not quite as good as their loan players. Though his lack of any sort of game time would hint at that not being the issue either.
  37. Dec 9, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

They pretty much only played him in the League Cup, which they're now out of. We could have done that.

I didn't really see much impressive about him when he was here though. Looked a bit slow to be a full back and too slight to be a centre back. I thought Riley was a better prospect, but he doesn't seem to have kicked on at all.
  38. Dec 10, 2017

I knew that was a terrible loan idea. We really need to improve our loan destinations
  39. Dec 10, 2017

prath92 Full Member

Pretty sure the players and their agents choose such loans.
  40. Dec 10, 2017

11101 Full Member

What we really need to do is follow the oil clubs and partner with/buy our own lower tier club somewhere so we can loan our players and force playing time. That, or the FA could pull its finger out and allow B teams.