Can any other manager pull off the Juve result under similar circumstances?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by DeGea, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Nov 8, 2018

DeGea Full Member

I have always been a Jose fan. Now, I do accept that at some point if things go really bad he will have to go (same goes for any manager), but at the moment I am a big fan of him.

The reason is that he is probably one of the handful of managers in world football at the moment apart from Pep, who can pull off a result like last night, under similarly difficult circumstances. SAF was the same. What I mean by this, is that when things go south, he can get a result. He has had a lot of criticism over the last few months, the media are on his back, he is not getting the transfers that he wanted and the team has come under a lot of flak too.

Despite all of this, he gives us moments to remember. A win against Juventus, the tournament favourites, away from home. Call it luck if you want, but the team still needed to play well enough to not get battered and do a smash and grab.

This ability of his to make the right substitutions and get a victory against all odds is why I think he should be backed and given more time, it is clearly no fluke that he has had the career that he has. He clearly makes the correct analysis and understands the problems within a match and how to fix it, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to make the correct substitutions and successfully change a game plan on multiple occasions.

What does everyone else think?
  2. Nov 8, 2018

L1nk Full Member

Pull off what exactly, we should of been 3-4 goals down, we won from a good Mata freekick and then a lucky free kick which by all accounts shouldn't of gone in if Szczenesy wasn't in goal. It's not like we had a dominate away performance full of grit and determination or a Mourinho masterclass, we got lucky free kicks, and if Juventus had their shooting boots on or we wouldn't of had Dr Gea, as I said, we'd of been 3 or 4 down, I mean they hit the bar twice as well. I don't understand why everyone is praising Mourinho wholeheartedly for this, we played like a small club against a big club, I would say the only thing he really did was bring on Mata and Fellaini, but arguably it was Allegri's mistake in switching to the back 3 that allowed us to put on a bit more pressure, even the commentators picked up on this error. It certainly wasn't a 'masterclass' in any way shape or form, in my opinion.
  3. Nov 8, 2018

coolredwine lameredboots

We shithoused the win. It isn't that much on the manager given we hardly created chances during the 90 minutes and had their players miss 2 (open) goals. A win is a win but let's not pretend this was achieved via the genius of Jose Mourinho.
  4. Nov 8, 2018

11101 Full Member

I wouldn't say it was some managerial masterclass but the fact is time and again Jose has pulled off these results against the odds. It's not all down to luck. When you are up against it there is no better manager.

Unfortunately as Manchester United manager we're not supposed to be up against it.
  5. Nov 8, 2018

DeGea Full Member

So then, who else, given the terrible situation the team were in after half time, can get a win in that match? I understand all the "ifs and buts", but the fact of the matter is, this is not the first time he managed this. If it was SAF, we would be lauding him for "never giving up" and pushing his players to perform 110%.

I am interested in names of other managers who would be able to deliver the same "lucky" outcome.
  6. Nov 8, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

:lol: fecksake
  7. Nov 8, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

Anyone can. Because the players did the work not Jose. They are being professional. Jose is an average manager whose done an average job comparable to Moyes and LVG. He is outside the top 4 and needs to be sacked ASAP so a real manager like Zidane can come in.

I don't care what Zidane's agent said, we are man utd and we love entertaining football. I'm sure he'd want to come with us and bring his brilliant domestic consistency to our club, like he did in his final season with Real. Because he won the Champions League there, its basically certain he will do the Same here.

feck Jose and his average anti football tactics. I'm not entertained by anything he does or his changes during the game. He doesn't coach players. Something something Martial Pogba something promote Carrick to manager as interim.

Doing it right?
  8. Nov 8, 2018

Chesterlestreet Man of the crowd

Manager of the year wrapped up already. If he goes on like this, he'll be up for a couple of Nobel prizes (at least).
  9. Nov 8, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

This.
    /thread
  10. Nov 8, 2018

Judas Open to offers

Alright this is all getting a bit over the top. Jose was the devil this time yesterday.
  11. Nov 8, 2018

Pagh Wraith Full Member

Is this a serious thread?
  12. Nov 8, 2018

Ronaldo's ego New Member

I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
    It was a smash and grab against a far superior side. It wasn’t exactly a 0-1 shut where we completely nullified everything they tried. If we come away from City with three points then I might start believing things are turning around
  13. Nov 8, 2018

septic Full Member

Juve were the tournament favourites?
  14. Nov 8, 2018

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate

I think people are looking for too much validation. We won a game where the opposition missed huge opportunities, while we struggled to create or even keep the ball. That reality doesn't mean that we can't enjoy the win, France enjoyed it against Germany in 2016 and Madrid against Bayern last year. There is nothing to take from this game other than the 3 points which is plenty enough.
  15. Nov 8, 2018

Bubz27 ACMarket employee

Darren Moore.
  16. Nov 8, 2018

Mainoldo Full Member

Yes because we made them look like god’s at Old Trafford. Little did the rest of the world know. We were just crap.
  17. Nov 8, 2018

Posh Red New Member

With the bookies they were I believe yes.
  18. Nov 8, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

If Jose Mourinho personally put a hex on Juventus which contributed to their shithouse finishing causing Cuadrado to punt every ball infront of him like he was kicking a 50 yard field goal, then no. No one else could do that. Only he could win a game through such sorcery. Jose is God. Jose Godinho.

We played a bit better than the Juve game at OT, and the equaliser was a nice goal. There were positives, but their wastefulness and them switching off in the last few minutes was very lucky. We're all obviously thrilled about it, quite rightly, but that's it. You celebrate a fluky win like any other, but trying to apply credit in specifics is a bit silly. If we tore them apart up top and completely nullified their attack then there'd be a point to be made and Jose would be due some pats on the back, but that didn't at all happen. The best thing Jose did last night was take the piss out of the FA.
  19. Nov 8, 2018

TsuWave Full Member

this fecking forum man :lol:

fluke a win and all of a sudden it’s “can another manager pull off the jive result?” wtf
  20. Nov 8, 2018

Renegade New Member

Embarrassing isn’t it.
  21. Nov 8, 2018

RedorDead21 Full Member

Nah as a team we were several steps ahead of where we have been previously. Some players played well. Manager subs again did well. That result will give them a lot of confidence and keeps momentum.
  22. Nov 8, 2018

SER19 Full Member

All these threads do is create another outlet for the over the top internet moaners. It will descend into the same as every single manager thread within 1 page.

Of course what many wont admit is that they wrote absolutely everything off pre Newcastle and were forcing lost dressing room and internet 3rd season myths down peoples throat.

The double standard is great too. We drop points with a raft of missed chancrs and its a sign of ou shit forwards and bad coaching. Juve do and its our good luck.
  23. Nov 8, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Sounds like how we won a Champions League final in 1999.
  24. Nov 8, 2018

WensleyMU New Member

We should have been X amount of goals down.... What does this even mean, it's a nothing statement. How should we have been X amount of goals down? Juventus scored once, chances do not equate to goals. This is really really basic stuff people. One of the simplest aspects of the game.

Being close to scoring in football earns you no plaudits, there's no points awarded for it.

It's just another one of these ways for "United" fans to try and downplay our victory.

Could another manager have pulled it off, I am sure there are some. All I know is United did, and honestly, it wasn't as if we turned up, offered nothing and stole a win, until they scored it was a good away European performance, almost out of the old United textbook, then Juventus rallied after scoring for a short while. The game was always in the balance however and United smelt blood. Jose got his subs and tactics spot on, he did what he is paid to do and the players did what they are paid to do.
  25. Nov 8, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Plenty of history of random upset results in the group stages of the Champions League. Spurs beat Real Madrid last year. City beat Bayern when City had Pellegrini and Bayern had Pep. We got knocked out of the group stages under Sir Alex twice to mediocre teams. There are countless examples if we're being honest. Spurs last year thought they could go toe to toe with anyone because they beat Madrid, but look who got knocked out in the first knockout round and who won their 3rd successive Champions League?

Sometimes, especially in the group stage, it is all about motivation, but doesnt say much more than that.
  26. Nov 8, 2018

shamans Hoser

Okay it was an amazing win but let's calm down now. Chelsea won a Champions League in similar fashion.
  27. Nov 8, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

They were favourites before even kicking a ball at OT. Their record at home in CL also makes them favourites against any side in the world at the Allianz.
  28. Nov 8, 2018

Mihai Full Member

Pull off what exactly, we should of been 3-4 goals down, we won from a failed clearance and a lucky poorly struck shot from Giggs which shouldn't of gone in and another corner by Beckham who took the germans by surprise. It's not like we had a dominate away performance full of grit and determination or a Ferguson masterclass, we got lucky corner kicks, and if Bayern had their shooting boots on or we wouldn't of had Big Pete, as I said, we'd of been 3 or 4 down, I mean they hit the bar twice as well. I don't understand why everyone is praising Ferguson wholeheartedly for this, we played like a small club against a big club, I would say the only thing he did was bring on Ole and Sheringham, but arguably it was HItzfelds mistake to bringing o Fink for Matthaus. It certainly wasn't a masterclass in any shape or form.
  29. Nov 8, 2018

septic Full Member

I’d have City and Barca both ahead of Juve in terms of being favourites for the tournament. Maybe even PSG.
  30. Nov 8, 2018

septic Full Member

How many leagues and cups had Fergie won for us prior to 1999 compared to what Jose has achieved so far for United?
  31. Nov 8, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

This.
  32. Nov 8, 2018

A-man Full Member

Lately, it has however mostly been weak opponents who have, against the odds, beaten United.

It was a good victory, but more credit to the players on the pitch who never gave up and managed to create some possession and good football after 80 minutes of Juve domination.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  33. Nov 8, 2018

BrianMcClair'sBarnet New Member

We had 3 moments last night and we took 2 of them,the other being Rashford's 1v1 (awful shot by the way).Before that the performance in general was pretty bang average.
    Even after the win I cant say one player had a particular standout performance.

Look there's no doubting Juve's ability. Arguably the best side in Europe and yet we still made it comfortable for them until the changes were made,credit Jose for the changes as both Mata and Fellaini made a vital contribution.But I feel last night was more on how lazy and arrogant Juve got in the final 10 minutes than it was with us turning the heat on with quality football.
  34. Nov 8, 2018

ash_86 Full Member

It was a good smash and grab and we needed it more than Juventus with current state of our club. Juventus has lost 2 times in 50 games and are favorites to go deep in the CL. They added a GOAT to their Starting 11 just to win he CL and can play 10 men every week to get the domestic league wrapped up. Let's not down play our win yesterday. These are the nights we look forward to as a Manchester United supporter.
  35. Nov 8, 2018

Mihai Full Member

Ferguson had 15 trophies plus we already had won the title and FA Cup when we played Bayern. So, 17 (including 5 community shields, 1 Cup Winners Cup and 1 super cup).
  36. Nov 8, 2018

Mihai Full Member

@abdo99 would include Liverpool and Spurs (and Chelsea, if they were in CL).
  37. Nov 8, 2018

Mihai Full Member

It was, and had it been under SAF, I am sure every United supporter would praise the team and manager. But, unfortunately, the hate for Jose is bigger and there're people who can't even enjoy an away win against one of the most in form teams in Europe.
  38. Nov 8, 2018

flappyjay Full Member

A Jose masterclass consists of stifling the opponent and getting some goals on the counter. Yesterday were inches from a serious spanking. We had a lot of luck nothing to do with Jose tactics. They hit the bar, the post and had other clear cut chances.
  39. Nov 8, 2018

Buster15 New Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Really quite similar and of course SAF was given massive credit for that unforgettable win - and rightly so.

But to put things in perspective, this fantastic result was in the group stage and under José who we are told is a dinosaur.

Both wins were primarily down to good coaching and team spirit.

I am waiting for the outcome of the City game. To my mind a significantly harder challenge than Juventus. Any sort of result and I would respectfully expect all the Mourinho hate boys to publically apologise to him and his players.
  40. Nov 8, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

I wouldn't compare it to that match in terms of significance, but a win is a win. I remember oppo fans talking about us fluking our way to the CL trophy. It takes a whole matches worth of effort to ensure you have more goals than the opposition. It's not a coin flip or a hand of cards.