Carabao Cup semifinals

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Samid, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jan 10, 2019

ErranMorad Full Member

It's a bit of fun, isn't it? Didn't think there was anything wrong with it. The kid did alright.
  2. Jan 10, 2019

RochaRoja Full Member

Would make more sense to have only Football League clubs play in it to be honest.

In terms of the FA Cup though, if you seed it then all the small clubs that get through to the third round could be guaranteed a pay day against a Premier League club, while you don’t get anyone coasting through to the later stages playing weak opposition. The majority of the games you get now with the open draw are fixtures nobody wants.
  3. Jan 10, 2019

Reddy Rederson Full Member

Meh, is what it is. If he doesn’t give the youngsters a run out in the 2nd though, he’s a knob. IMO of course.
  4. Jan 10, 2019

WensleyMU New Member

Oh yeh, forgot about that one.

And yes, the 2008 game was the enjoyable one.
  5. Jan 10, 2019

Andrew Wolf New Member

Supports:
    Manchester City
    Just Scott the Red, the biggest United fan of all. Never does anything cringeworthy. Stands and applauds every goal for 5 seconds then remains seated incase he looks bad to others.

Exactly why people are poking fun at an event that happens every home game andis solely aimed at children, I don't know.

Liverpool fans got hold of a video of it last year at the CL game and were convinced we were trying to emulate their bus "welcome" :rolleyes:
  6. Jan 10, 2019

dogwithabone Full Member

Completely agree, why should City have eased up ? There's all sorts of biggest win records they could have smashed and if I was one of their players I'd have wanted to be part of a team entering the record books that could stand for years and years to come, never mind the individual scoring possibilities that were in the offering.

Pep is right, the disrespectful approach would have been to deliberately ease up at the just about palatable scoreline of 6-0. That would be taking the p*ss but to put on a first class performance and keep your foot to the floor and win by 9, although hard to take for Burton, is the most honourable way City could have played it.
  7. Jan 10, 2019

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    That's extremely embarrassing, Burton.
  8. Jan 10, 2019

.Rossi ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

It's tough at the top, isn't it?
  9. Jan 10, 2019

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

It is not that it was unprofessional but, it is just terrible to watch. When we destroyed Roma in 2007 and when Germany destroyed Brazil that was great spectacle since Roma actually beat us in the first leg and Brazil were home and the favorites when they got destroyed by Germany. See two teams that should be able to go toe to toe with each other and in one side getting curb stomped is shocking. But, when City destroys a side like Burton all you can think about is the vast difference in terms of wages between the two sides. And make you feel sad and empty about the current state of Football.
  10. Jan 10, 2019

Oggmonster Full Member

It's all harmless but it is equally something people will take the piss of, the fact City deleted it implies people took the piss and they took it down. I think it's a bit cringing how they do stuff like this personally, part of the reason is because City have become everything they hated about United and stuff like this (ending in walking through tunnel club) just sums it up really.

Feel a bit bad for the kid he's a young lad and I'm sure plenty of tweets were sent taking the piss of him which is a bit harsh but City doing all this is just embarrassing in my opinion.

Didn't see the game but can't see how people want them to ease up, it's sport and Burton got there on merit so they deserve to have City play at their best and that's what they got. I don't think they expected anything less.
  11. Jan 10, 2019

Nogbadthebad Full Member

Burton are my local team.

The starting eleven cost less than a £1million.

Cities cost £580 million.
  12. Jan 10, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

It's absurd to criticise a team for piling the goals. Call out the lack of gametime for the youth players all you want, which is far, but can't see a logical reason for the former.
  13. Jan 10, 2019

We should have scored 2 and sat back.

Also beating arsenal 8-2 was a disgrace. Shoud have stopped at 4-2.
  14. Jan 10, 2019

It's amusing how people like professionalism and managers/ players who push themselves to the limit but see an issue with this. Surely, you'd want Martial and Rashford to be trying to create/score/make things happen even if we're 5-0 up? I'd want Martial to go try and get his 15th and 16th goals of the season.
  15. Jan 10, 2019

since 1977 New Member

Demolishing a team in a cup match (especially a lower league team) is very very different from hammering a team in the league. In a league season goal difference can be crucial. If City had only beaten United 0-1 instead of 1-6 in the 2011/12 season then we would have been champions and not them.

I think its fair enough to keep your foot on the gas in the league.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2019
  16. Jan 10, 2019

TheLord New Member

The opposite. If it is a competitive fixture, then I don’t understand how a team becomes disrespectful by demolishing the opposition. In fact, it is disrespectful to your own set of fans if the winning team starts “throwing away” goals.

I can understand not demolishing opponents in non-competitive friendly matches or matches played for charity etc.
    I can also understand slowing down in competitive sports like boxing if you fear you might seriously injure the opponent.

But in competitive football matches, hell no!
  17. Jan 10, 2019

Edinburgh New Member

Supports:
    Man City
    You are a Liverpool fan - perhaps you were worried they were going to break your 10-0 League Cup record!! Did you go to that? Remember it? It was 1986 when Liverpool were at their peak. There were 13000 there - so you probably would have been ok getting a ticket. Anyway, what were you saying? Oh yeah, City’s 32000 was a joke
  18. Jan 10, 2019

Edinburgh New Member

Supports:
    Man City
    City have a first team squad of over 20 but can only play 11. If you play players “21-31” rather than “12-20” like a number of them last night were - when do those squad players get a game - or do they just get thrown in to a league game being really rusty?

3 under 20s played. Seems fine to me.
  19. Jan 10, 2019

dogwithabone Full Member

What City did to Burton, in current league standings, is no different to Norwich (2nd best team in championship) beating Tranmere (9th two divisions below) 9-0 in a cup semi. No one would have expected Norwich to slow up and no one should have expected City to ease up either.

Burton aren’t a team bottom of L2 about to exit the Football League. They're a team with a very realistic chance of being in the mix to get promoted to the Championship.
  20. Jan 10, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Yes of course, I'm not suggesting they should have fielded the complete U23 team but my point was they played a bit of a dead rubber and, when you're 4 up at half time surely you bring on as many of your youth players rather than Danilo and B Silva. And why not start Foden as well.

This kind of links into my hope that we one day abandon the current League cup format and make it more like the an U23's cup, basically forcing PL teams to use this as a way to develop younger players and give them game time. Would also be awesome for fans to actually see a range of prospects coming through from all positions as opposed to fleeting appearances on the bench in the first team and, especially looking at attendance figures, I doubt it would impact who turns up to be honest. In turn, makes the FA cup more prestigious as that becomes THE domestic cup for senior players. Bit of an aside but think it links into this example quite well.
  21. Jan 10, 2019

Dirty Schwein Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album

Football is a competition. Who cares about feelings.

In 5-a-side there was this player once who played with us and was clearly leagues above us. He rounded the keeper on a 5-a-side pitch... TWICE! He literally scored at any moment he wanted.

I kept seeing his face every time I closed my eyes for about a week :lol:

But I don't hold it against him at all.
  22. Jan 10, 2019

robinamicrowave Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger

Supports:
    Man City
    If we'd played a bunch kids we'd have been criticised for not taking the semi-final seriously enough. We played a strong team, battered the opposition and were still criticised for not being kind enough to our opponents. Damned if we do and damned if we don't - I'd rather we did, which we did. Now the second leg is a formality and we can look forward to our sixth cup final in eight years.
  23. Jan 10, 2019

Pfmpd New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    No I didn't go, I wasn't born.

And yeah, city never sell out. Rarely get close to selling out. Even your CL games you get poor attendances.
  24. Jan 10, 2019

dbs235 Full Member

Think that was more for the stupidity of risking Kane being injured.
  25. Jan 11, 2019

starman Full Member

You are completely missing the point on what was said, never said they need to score xx goals to play youth players. The example was to continue to keep scoring, dont show mercy on your opponent they many in this thread were complaining about. Be "ruthless"

But anyway, carry on..
  26. Jan 11, 2019

stevoc Full Member

Ok fair enough mate, but to be fair to me if you re-read your post it's easy to see how it could be interpreted the way i did interpret it.

And i was just being a bit of a sarcastic cnut, i wasn't entirely serious.