Carlos Tevez

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Bloxy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

There were just rumors of Rooney joining City, the only source of it was Stan Collymore.
  2. Mar 22, 2012

Oggmonster Full Member

You seem to be being very naive about Rooney's situation here. You're making out like he didn't benefit from what he did.

He came out and said he wanted to leave the club because we're not ambitious enough with signing players (which was his bollocks way of probably wanting more money) the only clubs who you'd imagine would give him these "ambitions" are City, Madrid and Chelsea. Therefore it's not beyond the realms of possibility he would of joined City.

Rooney might of wanted to stay at United but he was out of order, he used excuses and slated his own team to benefit himself and get himself a massive new contract, the club did bend over backwards for him. It's not a bad thing because he is an amazingly gifted footballer and hopefully the scenario doesn't happen again. I don't think he's as bad as Tevez and I don't think he'd of ever refused to play, but he's hardly an angel. Like I said before, footballs a fickle world, as soon as he next scored and kissed the badge or whatever most people forget the contract stuff because it's irrelevent, same happened with City fans and Tevez. He got an assist and played quite well so they're going to be happy.
  3. Mar 22, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Add to that moaning about how he wanted to leave the club for at least the two previous transfer windows. Absurd to claim Rooney disrespected United anything like as much as Tevez did City. Very different scenarios.

Mind you, it's no great surprise that the people defending Tevez are the same people who were speaking up for him when he was acting like a total prick before and immediately after leaving United.
  4. Mar 22, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Not sure if aimed at me or not. But I did say what Tevez did was a lot worse, but that the sitations could be compared. I think that is fair.
  5. Mar 22, 2012

Rado_N Grinner ruined my tagline

Rooney had singed a new deal less than 24 hours after SAF came out with his statement and never slagged off the club, the differences between his stupidity and Tevez' is night and day. No shock to see people continue to paint them as the same though.
  6. Mar 22, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    If you want to draw comparisons that tenuous, why not compare him to Rio or Keane? I mean they both played hard-ball over new contracts. I mean, that's more or less the same thing as walking out on your club halfway through the season and swanning round Europe posing for photos with executives of other clubs, whilst slagging off the club be plays for and the city it's based in, right?
  7. Mar 22, 2012

towcester_red Full Member

Some massively rose tinted glasses here. Of course the two scenarios are different but Rooney completely disrespected us and the club in order to get himself a huge pay rise.
  8. Mar 22, 2012

Godfather Full Member

To say the club had no ambition is cuntish though. What tevez did is much worse no doubt about it, makes rooneys behaviour no better mind.
  9. Mar 22, 2012

I'm not naive about this Rooney situation, you can look at my posts through the Rooney saga and I was one of his biggest critics of how he handled himself throughout that saga. However Gerrard did the same thing to Liverpool, Keano and Rio did the same thing here. Many footballers has done the same thing to gain a new contract, however admittedly Rooney did took it to extreme levels. However, even still after one year from that saga in which he has given it all and said the right things, people still have a bitter taste from that.

Tevez won't commit his long time contract, was pictured with Galliani, openly his bad mouthed the manager and the fans and continuously did it for months, but yeah just because he got one assist against Chelsea, everything is fine and this stuff happens in football, all the time.
  10. Mar 22, 2012

It would be if he'd done that. He acted like a tool there's no denying that but there's a lot of exageration about what he actually said. He questioned the clubs ability to continue to attract top players, he did not question the ambition.
  11. Mar 22, 2012

RedLars Full Member

That's the absolute biggest different between Tevez / Rooney. SAF publicly kept the door open for a turnaround. If he had closed it, there would have been no way back whatsoever.

Obviously doesn't work like that for Mancini, which makes him and City look like right tossers. All credit to them if they take the title, but they'll still look like tossers.

If Tevez gets them the title, it'll be like marrying that hot chick who cheated on you with your best man, and everybody attending the ceremony knows it. But hey, at least you're getting hitched to a hot chick.
  12. Mar 22, 2012

I think Rio got off very lightly with fans after his meeting with Kenyon. I recall making post on here saying I would struggle to ever consider him a legend because of that. Especially after sticking by him with the missed drug test. Many posters shot me down.

Keane I think was genuinely torn on a move abroad. So it was going to take large contract to convince him to stay.
  13. Mar 22, 2012

Trionz Banned

The difference between Rooney & Tevez saga, for me, is that one was all mouth, as a strategy to earn a big contract & force the club to invest; and other actually walked out on his employer, and was outright disrespectful.
  14. Mar 22, 2012

Oggmonster Full Member

Fair enough mate, I'll take your word for it re Rooney saga and your views on it (wasn't around at the time so wouldn't of seen the thread.)

I'm not saying Rooney is as bad as Tevez but I can see why people do compare it. Rooney didn't act to well during the whole scenario though which is why people will compare it. Rooney pretty much used a scenario to get a huge pay deal out of United which is never good to see, he said he wanted to leave the club so automatically loses a lot of respect from people. To my knowledge people like Rio and Keane never said anything like that.

Gerrard is a valid point but lets have it right, whenever Gerrard came to OT after the transfer request he got chanted at and was never allowed to forget it, people pretty much slating him for not being loyal due to his contract saga, Rooney is no different to that and yet it's kind of forgotten about because it's something people aren't happy with.

My point isn't that it's fine for Tevez to do what he did, he's a knob and I've no respect for him at all, my point is that football and football fans tend to be fickle, whether it be City, United or Liverpool, it's all the same. Tevez comes on to a mixed reception, gets an assist and was probably cheered off the pitch. You will get some who stand their ground and fair play to them for doing so and sticking to their guns but if Tevez scores 10 goals in the next 9 games and wins City the league with them they won't REALLY be arsed about the whole contract stuff because it's a huge achievement for them. He will probably leave in the summer and be remembered quite well.

My only comparison I made with Rooney saga is similar to the one of Gerrard you said about, people slagged them off for saying they want to leave etc and then as soon as the u-turn is made and they score a goal it is forgotten. Gerrard probably being the most memorable one.
  15. Mar 22, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

I think people are forgetting the main difference in the Rooney / Tevez sagas is that the clubs handled it differently.

City have bent over and allowed Tevez to continually take the piss and now have completely succumbed and have installed him in the team for the important games of the run-in). Apart from smacking of desperation it will only intensify the internal conflicts between Tevez, the boss and the likes of Ballotelli and Dzeko who have both argued with Mancini. Nobody respected the club in the first place as it is basically just seen as an eternal cash cow, and the first time they hit the shit in an away match I can see it descending into chaos. We've already seen them kicking off with each other and the manager on numerous occasions. I believe the act of rolling over for Tevez after all he has done will be the catalyst for a major escalation in the mercenary fuelled meltdown that that club is on the edge of.
  16. Mar 22, 2012

Hectic Moderator

Well, to be fair he basically did just that. Not that I think the situations are that comparable, Tevez is clearly the much bigger cnut, and hasn't really done anything to change that.

"I met David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad," Rooney said. "I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract. For me, it's all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified."

Reading between the lines of what he's said, it's pretty clear. But then that was his statement, not neccessarily the actual truth, it's more likely he wanted a bigger wage, rather than Wayne genuinely wondering if United had lost the ability to attract top players and win trophies - which is completely and utterly retarded.
  17. Mar 22, 2012

Skywarden Full Member

Isn't it? Many who argue the two situations are comparable, forget that one aspect and neglect SAF's personality.
  18. Mar 22, 2012

Drifter American

Some on here never liked Tevez from the start.
  19. Mar 22, 2012

Really?

Does that hurt you?
  20. Mar 22, 2012

Hectic Moderator

I wish I had their foresight, although the warning signs were there. He is is a stupid cnut though.
  21. Mar 22, 2012

Drifter American

Nope.
  22. Mar 22, 2012

I think he means he was one of them and that was a "I told you so" post.
  23. Mar 22, 2012

Nah, he is a big Tevez fan.
    Oh and btw, Tevez was well liked on here. I think Pogue even created a thread over why Tevez is better than Rooney, if I'm not wrong.
  24. Mar 22, 2012

After his 1st season it was hard not to like him
  25. Mar 22, 2012

I think there's a fairly big difference between asking if the club is still in a position to attract top players from around the world and questioning the ambition of the club. As I say I'm not defending him, he acted a dick without doubt, but I don't think the club's ambition was questioned, more the actual ability to match that ambition on a practical level.
  26. Mar 22, 2012

Hectic Moderator

Who cares though? Look at the guy he is now, the person he is. He's a mercurial, bastard of a footballer who has as much respect for a club as the size of the cheque he's receiving in return. He's done nothing to earn people's respect, and has done everything to throw whatever he had away, it's astounding that City fans are able to accept him with open arms after what he has done, I'd have felt great satisfaction at seeing him rot on the bench at a time when his input was needed most.
  27. Mar 22, 2012

SmashedHombre Moderatus Anonymous

Not that it matters, but I didn't. Dwayne and myself almost e-fell-out. Was serious business. Couldn't believe City's reception for him yesterday. Plastic as feck
  28. Mar 22, 2012

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

is Tevez's mum still here to defend him?
  29. Mar 22, 2012

unitedbhoy Full Member

Am I the only one who couldn't give a shit about what Tevez has done to City and how the fans received him last night?
  30. Mar 22, 2012

Drifter American

No you're not.
  31. Mar 22, 2012

Sparky_Hughes Donkey Buggering Tyrant who cheats at Monopoly

Actually it wasnt, at the risk of coming off smug I never liked him and quite honestly think the ebola virus is too good for the self absourbed odius mercenery little feck weasel.
  32. Mar 22, 2012

finneh Full Member

The main distinction from my point of view is the reaction from the club. Mancini came out and said he'd never play for City again; him reneging on this assertion shows weakness.

If Fergie came out after Rooney was a knob and said "He's questioned the ability of his team-mates and my judgment as a manager, he will not feature for Man Utd again". I'd then be mortified if a couple of months later he was played by Fergie and was cheered by our fans.

I'm still 50-50 about Rooney now.
  33. Mar 22, 2012

IL_DUCE Full Member

I have no idea what Rooney really meant and what he wanted to achieve, but I suspect that the talks with Gill was something like ;)

Rooney:
    Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand and Neville are old. Before I sign a new contract, I would like to have your word that our owners will make available funds to replace these players in a satisfactory manner. You see, I want to win more trophies before I retire.

Gill:
    I understand where you are coming from. Me and Alex have discussed this a long time and have agreed on a good strategy for this. Instead of buying expensive and established players, we are going to specialize in development of wonderkids. You see, this is the value in the market! I can almost guarantee that this will pay off very soon.

Rooney:
    Right. But, are you really sure that this is an appropriate strategy and not just an excuse as you do not have funds available?

Gill:
    Yes sure! See how things have developed for you and Cristiano! You will see that Manchester United is the place to be in the future-especially for those who want to win trophies.

Rooney:
    OK. I'm glad we had this conversation. I am a little bit worried about how it would go with me and the lady if I had to move. I am also unsure as to how the skin would have withstood the strong sun in the southerly latitudes. See you....

Gill:
    Wait one second.....I really appreciate your concern for the club. Maybe it's time we adjust your salary in relation to the recent inflation.

Rooney:
    Thank's. I appreciate that. But, don't forget the trophies...

Gill:
    Of course not. I think the club and our fans are just as concerned about this as you. And, as I said. I think I can guarantee you trophies already this season, and many new fantastic colleagues in the future. This will give you an opportunity to learn how to count up to 30...

One more thing. Try to get the newspapers to write about something other than your sex life. I'm sure the press will be derived for example, if you show them more of your personal vanity or something

Rooney:
    It's a good idea! I think this could appease my wife also. I'll think of something. And, thanks again...

Trophy was received as promised
    Money was received as promised
    New fantastic colleagues arrived as promised

Rooney has learned how to count up to 20, and are now struggling with 21
    He has postponed the language course one year
    Manchester United have healthy operating costs
    Rooney is still married

In other words, the basis for being satisfied are well anchored.

I'm not so sure that City / Tevez / Mancini feel the same way
  34. Mar 22, 2012

You hated him like that after his 1st season for us?
  35. Mar 22, 2012

VivaRonaldo7 Full Member

Embarrassing the way they all love him again.

Pathetic.

That is all.
  36. Mar 22, 2012

Snake Plissken Aka LTS10

Have the Utd support forgiven Rooney?

I can understand people laughing at City for getting back onside with Tevez, but didn't Rooney effectively hold Utd to ransom for more money?
  37. Mar 22, 2012

Liam147 On Probation

On the whole, yes, but that took a while. What I found really sad is when the fans cheered him onto the pitch against Wigan, I found it utterly pathetic. That was the last straw for me with him. I didn't particularly like him before, and I don't like him now, but it doesn't cloud my judgement of him as a player. Anyway, I'm going off track, welcoming a player who has done something like that to your club is ridiculous. And for the record, what Tevez has done was worse than Rooney IMO. Refusing to play, then pursuing a career in amateur golf whilst your team mates are slaving away week in week out, after asking numerous times to leave.

I do think all those having a go at the City fans when they immediately welcomed Rooney back are massive hypocrites.
  38. Mar 22, 2012

towcester_red Full Member

Thats my main point.

What Tevez did was worse but the principles are the same.
  39. Mar 22, 2012

redevil2 Full Member

That's an idiotic statement. Did Rooney refuse to warm up when asked to get on the pitch in a game? Did Rooney not play for the club for 6 months and come back after no clubs were willing to take on him (either they couldn't met his term or other reasons).

It's daft to compare him to Rooney.
  40. Mar 22, 2012

SteveJ all-round nice guy

There's also a big difference in the aftermath of the Rooney/Tevez debacles: from recent photographs alone, it's obvious that SAF & Rooney get on well & that there's mutual respect for their respective talents, whereas it's equally obvious that Tevez has no time at all for Mancini. Tevez's sense of entitlement and lack of care for his club is utterly transparent, to the embarrassment of all; Rooney, for all his faults, is still a 'team player'.