Castles: Mourinho given green light to spend in January

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Adisa, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017

Cristiano Lell Global FA Rules Expert

Supports:
    Bayern München
    Besides, he signed a new contract literally three months ago.
  2. Dec 6, 2017

Jaybomb Full Member

Everyone has a price. They would sell for 60M
  3. Dec 6, 2017

whatwha Where's my diarrhea damnit

Forget about fecking Perisic.
  4. Dec 6, 2017

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

A right winger should be our main priority, with a 10, centre midfielder and a left back in Summer.
  5. Dec 6, 2017

Gusjaros New Member

Supports:
    Several teams
    I think he's worth more than 60 million, with today's inflated prices in mind. He won't be cheap.
    It's the same with Candreva.

Perisic, Icardi and Candreva are simply not for sale. They rack up points after points for Inter.
  6. Dec 7, 2017

Devil may care Full Member

It makes sense to try and get something done in January as it's a World Cup year so the summer will be hectic and difficult.
  7. Dec 7, 2017

Ali Dia Full Member

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    I wonder how our transfer targets are identified and signed now ribalta is at the club. Does he draw up a list and Jose picks from it or does Jose tell him to find players for x y and z positions? Or does Jose tell him to scout particular players? I guess this is more a post about ribalta and his role in our transfers more than our having money to spend in January!

Ozil and Goretzka would be an amazing window but I don’t think either club will sell to us easily. They would be very exciting additions to a squad that’s not very far away from being top class again. I wouldn’t be heartbroken to see miki/mata leave and Carrick to hang up his boots and the aforementioned players were signed. I’m glad we are looking at more German players. They have been producing top players for a long time.

I think pulisic would be my favourite signing. The Dortmund jinx aside I think he’s a great age, he has WC potential in a position we need to improve and hed be a dream from a marketing perspective. If we could get him for 50/60 million and include mata or miki in any trade I’d be very happy with that.

I wouldn’t sign AG7. He’s having a terrible season and I have a feeling he may have peaked. I could be way off but that’s my feeling at the minute. Happy to be proved wrong as long as it’s for us!
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. Dec 7, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

It's just lazyness. How much was Salah bought for? Intelligent buying involves signing a good player ready to explode into a top class one. Signing a Griezemann or Mbappe will obviously cost a fortune. There's no mandate to go for obvious options though.
  9. Dec 7, 2017

I've admired him for a long while now but also been unsure as to us he fits in. The only way it makes sense is if the 352/343 is the future. Even then, I really feel we need another playmaker more than we need yet another striker.

If we do want to sign we absolutely must make sure he isn't on the decline even if is gradual.
  10. Dec 7, 2017

Ali Dia Full Member

Pulisic!
  11. Dec 7, 2017

Hawks2008 Full Member

Alex Sandro is reportedly available for 50m in January. If true we should not pass that up, we would have a top 3 LB in the world just entering his prime years.
    Other than that, maybe try to sort out a pre-contract thing with Goretzka. We need midfield depth, and quality player with his age and potential for free would be shrewd business. I hear Bayern have been circling around for him, but I don't see why we couldn't gazump them. As for Mesut Ozil, I think Wenger would let him walk for free instead of willingly selling him to Mourinho and United.
  12. Dec 7, 2017

As a right winger/right sided forward? I guess. I've not seen much of him to be honest. I still do feel we need that one technical playmaker whether in midfielder or in the hole ala Veratti or Silva.
  13. Dec 7, 2017

Cantonagotmehere Full Member

He'd sure sell a bucket load of kits.

I'd love to have him too.
  14. Dec 7, 2017

Ali Dia Full Member

I think Pogba is our playmaker now. Another top young player who has a bit of magic, can beat a man with pace or skill, can spot a pass and knows where the goal is - has to be welcome in our squad. I think we are even strong enough that we could give him a season to bed in too, rotating him with what we already have there. The best young signings in the world please while we continue rebuilding!
  15. Dec 7, 2017

2 Man Midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

He's been amazing for them by all accounts. Huge part of the reason they sit top of Serie A.

Can't see them selling their second best player and blowing their chance to get out of the wilderness.
  16. Dec 7, 2017

roonster09 Full Member

Which makes Jan window even more difficult unless a player with world cup aspirations is warming the bench like Mata did.
  17. Dec 7, 2017

Greck New Member

Future transfers I'd like to see:
    A left footed player for LB/LWB. Young is in great form but our build up play on that wing suffers from having no one that can hug the touchline or feels comfortable going on the outside. Young isn't particularly great till he's fed the ball in the final third.

A high workrate/destroyer type CM to cover for Pogba when he loses the ball or loses his man. Preferably strong in the tackle and competent passing forward a la Kante. This should be Herrera but he has struggled this season to do any of these consistently
  18. Dec 7, 2017

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    I wonder if we will fill the number 7 void in January ?
  19. Dec 7, 2017

P-Nut0712 fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Griezmann already out the CL. No reason for him to stay
  20. Dec 7, 2017

Bestietom Full Member

Ozil and Rose can play in Champions League and FA cup.
  21. Dec 7, 2017

JPRouve can't stop thinking about balls

He has more reasons to stay than leave. He can try to win the Europa League particularly with the additions of Diego Costa and Vitolo, he is pretty much in his country, he loves his current city, his family is settled and he already earns a lot of money. Also he isn't eligible for the CL.
  22. Dec 7, 2017

Adisa Full Member

I thought rose played in their last game?
  23. Dec 7, 2017

Green_Red Full Member

Its the Caf, does it ever end?
  24. Dec 7, 2017

Bestietom Full Member

Sorry, You are correct, he did @Adisa .
  25. Dec 7, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

:drool:
  26. Dec 7, 2017

Ikon Full Member

I think, that Mourinho will try to get both Ozil & Rose in January, resolving the #10 and #3 issues.
    This could allow the whole Summer window to be dedicated to landing a marquee #7 such as Griezmann or Dybala.....:rolleyes:
  27. Dec 7, 2017

onemanarmy Full Member

I'm expecting a very underwhelming transfer window in general. Can't wait to be proven wrong though. :drool:
  28. Dec 7, 2017

Crashoutcassius Full Member

Just don't see it as a massive january priority given that we have Herrera who was arguably our player of the season last year. Mourinho not big on rotation in CM and then when our back up CM comes in he looks rusty... not a big shock to me personally. But buying another player urgently in January to sit on the bench and look rusty when he does play isn't a priority in my opinion
  29. Dec 7, 2017

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    This Savic kid from Lazio looks like a beast. Id say he would enjoy playing with Matic and Pogba in the middle. Maybe if big Fellaini wants to leave he may go this January and we would need another physical specimen (with more skill) sooner rather than later. So I can see the reports of us watching Savic being true.
  30. Dec 7, 2017

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    No chance Mr Bean lets Ozil go in January.
  31. Dec 7, 2017

Infra-red Full Member

Not sure I see the United board sanctioning a big spend in January on a player (Ozil) who will be available for free just 5 months later. If we're actually interested, it will happen in the summer.
  32. Dec 7, 2017

Oldyella Full Member

I think we need a second alongside Pogba, would help free him up. Teams atm can basically double mark him as he provides so much of our penetrative play. Look at kdb, he gets so much more space than Pogba as teams cannot leave Silva alone to double up.
  33. Dec 7, 2017

Coxy Full Member

That’s what I thought on football manager too. I’d wait till the summer... then Liverpool sneaked in and offered 20 million = he went there in January. You snooze, you lose.

Someone will surely make a bid
  34. Dec 7, 2017

Ikon Full Member

Absolutely....!
    Those clubs that are serious about landing Ozil & Sanchez will most definitely make their move in January when the players can negotiate.
    Making an offer of about 25-30% of their true market value could get you to the front of a very long queue, with the selling club grudgingly accepting a knock down fee rather than have the players walk away for nothing in a few months time.
  35. Dec 7, 2017

Mani Full Member

That should be dream, but I doubt we get all three in Jan.
  36. Dec 7, 2017

Infra-red Full Member

I agree that bidding in January is the surest method of securing the player. I just don't see our board sanctioning it, because it doesn't make financial sense. The rationale will be "if the player really wants to play for us, he'll bat away the January offers in favour of a summer move here".
  37. Dec 7, 2017

philipc777 Full Member

The difference may not be that great though. Player can demand more money in the summer due to no transfer fee involved and you are in a bidding war with other clubs over the salary, add-ons etc..
  38. Dec 7, 2017

Infra-red Full Member

I'm not convinced Ozil will be quite as in demand as all that. There will be a number of clubs in for him, but a bidding war, I'm not so sure. We'd have to offer a competitive salary (north of £200k p/w) anyway, and although the signing fee in the summer would no doubt be substantial, I doubt it would come close to the face-saving fee Arsenal would feel obliged to demand in January (£20m+).
  39. Dec 7, 2017

2 Man Midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

Every time a dubious source says the player prefers Madrid.
  40. Dec 7, 2017

Bastian Full Member

I actually think this debate is thread-worthy. Whether Pogba is suitable for a midfield 2 or whether he'd be better served by having 2 midfielders give him a free role.