Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Macern, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Jan 26, 2019

starman Full Member

Trim some fat getting rid of Rojo and Jones and get in Toby for 25m in the summer
    And next summer bring in De Ligt, who will cost alot, but money well spent if he continues to progress how he's been doing.

I do like Koulibaly but I don't think we should be spending a massive amount on a player that only has one more contract in him and has never played in the PL
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. Jan 26, 2019

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

I agree. At least we should try really hard
  3. Jan 26, 2019

ManRed Full Member

Would go for Toby for £25m and rather save the funds for top quality RW, RB and CM
  4. Jan 26, 2019

Beagle Full Member

Anyone here rate Nathan Ake?
  5. Jan 26, 2019

sideshow_bob New Member

I find it unlikely that we're interested in Alderweireld. He turns 30 this year, is not good in the air, slow, has had knee & hamstring injury causing him to miss 38 games over 2 seasons. Also, why would we want to give 25m (or whatever his clause is) to Spurs who clearly need money to strengthen.

Instead I'm hoping we go for at least 1 of these 5 guys below. All great in the air, pretty good on the ball, fast enough, have the right age profile & should last us for a decent number of seasons:

Gianluca Mancini with 5 goals & 1 assist in 15 appearances for Atalanta this season. 23 years, 1.90m. ~ About €25m

Nicola Milenkovic from Fiorentina. The Serbian Tower is tallest on this list. Versatile enough to cover RB if needed. 22 years, 1.95m. We already had a good bid knocked back supposedly. ~ About €50m

Nico Elvedi from Gladbach. Among the best in the BuLi right now. Time to make the step up. 23 years, 1.87m. ~ About €40m

Dayot Upamecano from RB Leipzig. We've been after this fella awhile now. 21 years, 1.85m. Currently out injured with a knee issue but come the summer window we should know the extent of the injury & swoop like how we did with RVN. ~ About €50m

Eder Militao of Porto. Quite possibly the best of the lot. Comfortable with the ball & versatile enough to play even at DM or RB. 21 years, 1.86m. Unfortunately, Real may have already beat us to the punch like how they did with Varane. Hopefully it isn't true or the deal collapses. ~ Supposed Clause Now: €50m June: €75m
  6. Jan 26, 2019

Frosty Logical and sensible but turns women gay

What about Gimenez? I've heard loads of hype about him but haven't seen him play. Is he any good?
  7. Jan 26, 2019

Kidders Full Member

No
  8. Jan 26, 2019

Mylock New Member

I rate Ake, has premier league experience, fast, good in the air, left footed, looks a fine player. I believe he'd be well worth buying as a option on the left side of the defence and also cover for shaw.
  9. Jan 26, 2019

settembrini Full Member

Ake would be a smart signing for us. He has outperformed all our current CBs over the last two seasons and it's a big plus that he prefers to play as the left sided CB with Lindelof/Smalling/Bailly all more comfortable on the right.
  10. Jan 27, 2019

Fracture90 Full Member

I would very much like us to go after Le Ligt if it comes down to getting him or Koulibaly. Koulibaly is better player atm, but De Ligt has a higher ceiling.
  11. Jan 27, 2019

robbieromance New Member

Supports:
    Blackburn Rovers
    I think he’s really good and surprised he never gets mentioned. Lots of experience at the top end of the league and UCL, has played next to Godin most of his career and is still only 23/24. He’s also got different qualities to Lindelof, more aggressive and physical.
  12. Jan 27, 2019

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Would be my no. 1 choice if having a free pick from every CB on the planet.

Perfect combination of experience, physicality, good age, solid on the ball and a leader.
  13. Jan 28, 2019

ravi2 Full Member

Is he attainable and if so how much do you reckon he would cost?
  14. Jan 28, 2019

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
  15. Jan 28, 2019

devilish Juventus fan who used to support United

Skrinair then
  16. Jan 28, 2019

Beagle Full Member

And he's young and looks like a driven individual. Really like him and think he is quite decent right now but can go far.
  17. Jan 28, 2019

Fracture90 Full Member

When you put it like that, even Maguire fits the bill.
  18. Jan 28, 2019

robbieromance New Member

Supports:
    Blackburn Rovers
    HM is nowhere near as fast as Smalling...
  19. Jan 28, 2019

Fracture90 Full Member

Of course, that goes without saying.
  20. Jan 28, 2019

ravi2 Full Member

So lets assuming Skrinair, Giminez & Koulibaly all are going for around 100m Euro, who do you feel is the best fit for our team?
  21. Jan 28, 2019

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    All of them are good fits, IMO — very little between them if you equalize for age and experience.
    • Škriniar is physical, good in the air, decently experienced by now and fairly comfortable on the ball.
    • Koulibaly has similar characteristics but he's at his peak, arguably a Top 3 centerback right now, and the closest thing you'll get to a guaranteed performer for such a big financial outlay.
    • Giménez has the greatest potential of the three, the youngest but has paradoxically played the most big games in big competitions with Atlético and Uruguay, and also the most aggressive defender/marker. Though he has suffered some injuries in recent years, and has the the worst aggregate health record of the three — which is a tad bit worrisome:
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jose-gimenez/verletzungen/spieler/250845

If push came to shove, I'd probably go with (subjective personal ranking as targets for United): De Ligt (youngest but a generational talent) > Koulibaly > Giménez > Škriniar ~ Milenković (has come up leaps and bounds, and is the tallest of the lot at 6'5" — for the height fetishists out there).
  22. Jan 29, 2019

SwansonsTache incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

23. Jan 30, 2019

Robertd0803 Full Member

Yeah he is a beast.Really strong defensivley any time Ive watched him. Could do a lot worse but there are better options out there.

And he would cost a fortune anyway so may as well concentrate on Koubaily, De Ligt etc.
  24. Jan 30, 2019

Macern Pee pee pants

I know a guy from Amsterdam, proper Ajax fan and he goes on and on about De Ligt. I haven’t seen him that much, but feck it let’s buy him:wenger:
  25. Feb 4, 2019

INF-AMOS Full Member

Maguire has to be a good shout at the end of the season? So dominant in the air, good distribution, a constant goal threat at set pieces plus fully tried and tested in the Prem. He was a constant problem for us in our own box yesterday against Leicester.

He's not blessed with great pace but neither were Steve Bruce or John Terry.
  26. Feb 4, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Maguire for £30-£40 would be a fair deal. But given that they wanted £75m for him then no.
    Regarding the pace issue: If we are going to (God forbid) play the way we did under Mourinho next season, parking the bus, sitting low and defend against crosses... Then HM would be perfect. If we are going to play the way we are doing now, where the centrebacks are pushed high up and might have to defend 1v1 then HM would not be the best fit.
  27. Feb 4, 2019

onemanarmy Full Member

Inter's Zinho Vanheusden is going to be a real baller imo. He's only 19 and missed almost a whole season in 17/18 with a bad injury. Inter has loaned him to Standard Liège to make sure he gets the necessary games to complete his recovery. He's played almost 20 games this season. At 19 he's a leader, level headed and technically very good for a CB. He's being compared to Kompany and I think he'll be in the NT soon.

Of course you can never tell if he is going to make it at the highest level, but he looks to become a very good player.
  28. Feb 6, 2019

Rozay Master of Hindsight

I think this may be the summer where our long-standing interest in Varane actually becomes a full blown ‘saga’.

I think Real would sell him for what we’re willing to pay, and everyone connected to our club seems to love him and I imagine he’s the one we want above all.
  29. Feb 6, 2019

POF Full Member

They'll have a red hot go at Koulibaly in the summer. He'll be ridiculously expensive but all of the noises suggest that he's the one they have identified.
  30. Feb 6, 2019

Kostov Full Member

If there is a chance of a transfer for Varane at the same price as Koulibaly, it would be stupid not to try it I think.
  31. Feb 6, 2019

MetoTTT New Member

I just can't see Real sell him when they're shite and need massive rebuild. Varane is one of very few of their players (right age too) to build a team around.
  32. Feb 6, 2019

GBBQ Full Member

I'm not convinced Madrid would sell but I do wonder whether Madrid would build a team around a defender. They're all about attacking and I think if selling Varane freed up enough funds to buy, say, Neymar (for arguments sake) then maybe they would do a deal. Highly unlikely but I don't think they would rate a defender as highly as an attacker.
  33. Feb 6, 2019

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

Koulibaly shut both Mbappe and Salah down with ease when he played against them.

I haven't seen him anywhere else other than those games but he was excellent. Calm, physical and commanding in a similar vein to Van Dijk.

Looked like he would fit well with Lindelof to me assuming we can't get the fitness issues and the brainfart issues out of Bailly.
  34. Feb 6, 2019

Rozay Master of Hindsight

They have had a disappointing season collectively, and Varane by all accounts has had a disappointing one personally. I imagine they would want to spend a lot of money this summer, and £100m for a centre half, a non-Spanish centre half, will be seriously considered I think. I just can’t see Real being that attached to a defender. They are all about fantasy forward players. Come to think of it, I doubt many teams would turn down £100m for a defender. And as he hasn’t been that great just lately, I personally think they would take it.
  35. Feb 6, 2019

Fosu-Mens Full Member

How much will he cost? £100m for him would mean that we will limit our spending on other positions.
  36. Feb 6, 2019

GBBQ Full Member

Yeah, PSG have inflated the market for world class attacking players and if Madrid need to replace BBC it wont be cheap.
  37. Feb 7, 2019

POF Full Member

I quite like the thinking though. Don't settle for 3rd or 4th choice because they're a cheaper option. A-graders only. It will raise everyone's level.

It's better to spend £100m and big wages on a superstar than 3 x £30m players who aren't good enough.
  38. Feb 7, 2019

sam147 Full Member

We need a CB who is good in the air, has pace and is comfortable on the ball. Lindelof is not the best in terms of speed and he is just decent in the air. Varane is the guy who ticks all the boxes but he won't leave. Skriniar is a quality player but he doesn't tick the boxes either. De Ligt maybe but he is very young. Alderweireld definitely not. Koulibaly yes. He has brilliant recovery pace, he is good enough in the air and one of the best on the ball. That being said I would take anyone of those mentioned over another season of keeping Jones, Smalling and Rojo. In fact, I would sell all three sign a CB and keep Tuanzebe. Enough of the dross.
  39. Feb 7, 2019

Freak Born a freak always a freak.

Galactico type signings have never really worked for us to be honest. Veron, Di Maria, Falcao, Basti, Sanchez to name a few. The only one that worked that comes to mind is Van Persie.

Fergie usually looked for players at lesser clubs with potential and hunger to step to a bigger one. And that’s the way we should go.

I would definitely prefer Koulibaly over Varane. How do you motivate a player who’s won everything there is to win in the game to come to Manchester United and do it when he has no real ties to the club.

Koulibaly is at a lesser club with the potential to step up in a much bigger one.
  40. Feb 7, 2019

In Rainbows Full Member

The signings that have worked best for us are very talented young players. De Gea, and Martial are two such signings. Pogba was a Galactico, but he was only 23 when he came to United.

In other words, we should go for de Ligt and Sancho (not related to this thread).