Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Macern, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Feb 7, 2019

POF Full Member

I don't mean Galactico signings and I agree with the rest of your post. United spent big money on Keane, Rooney, Ferdinand, Carrick, Van Nistelrooy, Stam, etc. They weren't Galacticos but the club were happy to spend what was necessary because they wanted those players. Not a profile or position but those particular players.

They didn't go for David Batty instead of Keane or Vassell instead of Rooney because they were cheaper. If Koulibaly has the talent, mentality and personality the club wants, then he's worth the money.

I really hate the stories of "I want a centre back and have given a list of 5 to the board". With that type of recruitment strategy, if you end up with a top class centre back partnership it will be pure luck.
  2. Feb 7, 2019

Luciano Venturini New Member

De Ligt will be the centre back in 5 years time at Madrid/City/Barca where we'll all sit around and say "why can't we buy a player like that" just like we did with Varane.

Koulibaly is a good option but agree with previous statements that he's going to cost a bomb and will only have one big contract left in him.
  3. Feb 7, 2019

Fracture90 Full Member

I value Varana but should we be really offering 100 million for a player who's having a disappointing season and as one other poster had mentioned, he's won it all, bar EURO. His motivation could be a suspect.
  4. Feb 7, 2019

Charles Miller Full Member

Boubacar Kamara?
  5. Feb 7, 2019

Macedonian Red New Member

It will be a big mistake if we pay 100m for CB and don't strength other weak areas.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2019