1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Centre Backs who can head the ball

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by golden_blunder, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Jun 10, 2018

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    He's not as dominant during defensive set-pieces as he is during open play, but he's not as bad as some make out. He uses his arms a fair bit but then so do plenty of other defenders, and he's been penalized for it what, once or twice in his entire career? It's obviously not as big a deal as many on here make out. It also has to be noted that he always covers the oppositions biggest threat, so invariably he's given a much harder job than anybody else in those situations.

So yeah, he could be better in that regard, but the fact that he's still comfortably our best in those positions show how much we rely on him.
  2. Jun 12, 2018

SteveW Full Member

Smalling is very dominant in the air. This thread is kinda typical of his treatment by supporters.

We've had everything from he doesn't score enough (not true) to his positioning is terrible so he's always fouling and giving away frees/penalties (also not true, his disciplinary record is actually very good)

Lets just be honest. He's gets stick because he's a gormless looking fecker and not a stylish footballer. The fact that he wins just about everything in the air or on the ground is secondary because people value style over substance. People have been selling this guy for years yet we still haven't found another CB who's as good as him. Perhaps it's time to just admit it's because he's good.
  3. Jun 13, 2018

BehemothTerror New Member

Vidic was king in the air. Id happily swap any member of our squad short of De Gea for prime Vidic :(
  4. Jun 13, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

Probably has better qualifications than yourself, is a millionaire I'd guess, to top that. So what qualifies you to judge his intelligence?
  5. Jun 13, 2018

tenpoless Full Member

Jones is the best at it no doubt.
  6. Jun 13, 2018

Trizy Full Member

Is that you, Chris? :lol:.

I wasn't judging his intelligence. Brain dead is a common phase used for someone doing stupid shit on the pitch. A low footballing IQ. See Jones for another example.

I'll bite your off topic bait though. I've a level 8 qualification (Irish Uni) and a masters. With some of the lads I met in my courses, trust me when I say having a qualification is not a measure of intelligence.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. Jun 13, 2018

Micky Targaryen New Member

In other words, we need someone like this..

and this..

Miss this crazy dude. :(
  8. Jun 13, 2018

Emmet Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

When Smalling first came he was useless in the air. The improvement has been unreal, I think hes up there as one of the best around dealing with aerial balls V big brute strikers
  9. Jun 13, 2018

golden_blunder Dreaming of a return to 4-4-2 Staff

He was understudy to 2 of the best though
  10. Jun 13, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

Just to add my thoughts that Bailly is awful in this regard. I still maintain the City/DeBruyne goal at Old Trafford two seasons ago was his fault (despite Blind getting the blame).
  11. Jun 13, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

You
    Yes mate of course you have a masters, everyone on the Caf does :lol:

I’d suggest has brain farts over being brain dead. Two very different things. If you had a real masters degree, I’d not have to explain!!!
  12. Jun 13, 2018

Ekeke Full Member

I think as long as you have 1 CB who you can count on for it its okay, same as with the passing. Its good to have 1 CB very comfortable on the ball but its not needed to have 2.

We have that with Smalling being good in the air. That said the other CB should at least be decent at it and not have it be a clear weakness

But yes I completely agree that you should have at least one of your CBs doing a great job defensively (positioning, heading, clearing, senseing danger) and its far more important than passing.
  13. Jun 13, 2018

Trizy Full Member

You're a very strange person.
  14. Jun 13, 2018

Red_toad Full Member

Yes mate but better than being deluded...
  15. Jun 13, 2018

Isotope Full Member

But then, what do you know about good CB. Didn't you have to google who Fernando Hierro was? ;)
  16. Jun 13, 2018

VP89 Pogba's biggest fan

I do rate Smalling for the most part but the way defended for Kompanys goal last season really pissed me off.
  17. Jun 13, 2018

Ribble Valley Red New Member

I agree with this. He's the only CB at our club that I want playing every match, same goes for England too. Why Southgate hasn't selected him is a mystery to me.
  18. Jun 13, 2018

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Miss him too. That second clip. If that was Smalling it would have been "nah, a top CB keeps that ball on the pitch after the tackle, he had 2 chances to do so but failed both times, sell."
  19. Jun 13, 2018

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Jones-esque
  20. Jun 14, 2018

Rozay Not good at posting fixture lists

It’s a necessity in the PL, as this is how the game is played.

This is partly why I preferred to sign a different profile of striker to Lukaku. It encourages a type of game that PL defenders are typically equipped to deal with. The likes of Craig Dawson are much more likely to relish a battle with Lukaku or Giroud than Aguero. PL have conditioned centre halves for years for aerial battles, and likewise, PL number 9s are usually built for this, so both defenders should be able to head.
  21. Jun 15, 2018

Trizy Full Member

I think the aerial threat with your back to gold is just a bonus. If the striker is strong and can hold up the ball then great but it's not necessary needed in the PL but either works. Every top striker regardless of build and height should be able score with their head. See Sanchez for example. One of the smallest players but has scored many a header.

For every Drogba, RVP & Shearer you have a Henry, Ruud & Suarez (to name some golden boot winners).
  22. Jun 15, 2018

Beachryan More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

I'm one of Smallings biggest critics and still believe we need to get rid, but his defensive heading is great.

In no way does it absolve the rest of his short comings, but anyone saying he can't head a ball is crazy.

So can talents like Shawcross, Morgan and Terry mind.
  23. Jun 15, 2018

poleglass red Full Member

PL you still need a centre half who can attack the ball in the air. A lot of Pl teams still have the big target man type. Glen Murray of Brighton bullied Lindelof badly v Brighton, Glenn fecking Murray. Even top teams like Spurs, we saw Jones lose flick header to Kane when Spurs scored right from the kick off. Bailly should be good in the air but he leaps and does this weird soft nod. Same with Matic, for their size and physicality they should be more dominant. I even remember back to when Pallister was here, he always had it tough against Niall Quinn and Drunken Duncan, always and he was excellent in the air.
  24. Jun 15, 2018

cathari New Member

Muppet warning.

Woody, please call up Andrea Bertra and then call me back. He is now our main target. Best, José.