Centre-half options just not good enough - Neville

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by #07, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Aug 10, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

2. Aug 10, 2018

Ballache Full Member

I wish we would just put our confidence in the players we have instead.
    Ok we didn't get a new CB, but it doesn't really help anyone to keep putting our players down.
  3. Aug 10, 2018

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

Jose bought two CBs already. So no, Jose is not right and neither did we offload these players

And LB and RW was not addressed either
  4. Aug 10, 2018

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

No one knows about average defenders who are not good enough for United better then Philip Neville's own brother
  5. Aug 10, 2018

littlepeasoup Full Member

Looks like the #5 shirt will go vacant for a year. Rojo's been given #16, which is what I think he wears for Argentina? (Could be wrong on that one).
  6. Aug 10, 2018

Witchking Full Member

Jose brought 2 defenders of his own. How come he escapes criticism but woodward gets it because a new cb was not purchased?
  7. Aug 10, 2018

12OunceEpilogue Full Member

I would like a commanding, composed presence at the back, which I feel our current crop is lacking, and a further option would help us use a three at the back where necessary with more confidence.

However I think it was a shame and a missed opportunity that the window seemed to come down to getting any half-decent centre half with no-one looking at our problems in wide areas. We're at least stocked at CB, where players could improve and develop understandings, whereas we have no right winger and an unfancied player, a kid and a nothing footballer understudying two ageing warhorse-types at FB. Regardless of our need to improve centrally I don't see how we could fail to prioritise the wide areas this summer.

I largely blame the board for how the window turned out but Jose has brought in two defenders already, not getting a third this summer is nothing compared to how poorly we've done in stocking our wide areas.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  8. Aug 10, 2018

cyberman Full Member

I wonder if we would be after another CB if Bailly wasn't always injured?
    Right now he can only trust Smalling and Lindelof.
    Any cover is reliant on who's fit that week, even that doesn't include the fact Jose simply might not rate Jones and Rojo.
    At this stage its like saying we have both fullback positions covered because we have Shaw and Darmian.
    Its nonsense.
  9. Aug 10, 2018

Ramshock CAF Pilib De Brún Translator

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Neville is a moaning twat Would be at home here
  10. Aug 10, 2018

11101 Full Member

Hopefully this will be Lindelof's year to settle down and become a starter, then we just need Bailly to stay fit and we are sorted. If not, at least it's only one CB we need to buy.
  11. Aug 10, 2018

Patrick08 Full Member

They are the future , the current ones need replacing and Jose is right.

In the end it's all about the money. The club dint wanted to spend big on any new cbs but if they costed less they would have got that regardless of the age.
  12. Aug 10, 2018

FootyGirl88

I think jose wanted to rehaul the entire defence from starting 11 to the squad.

So Rojo, Smalling and Jones would have gone at some point if we bought another defender.
  13. Aug 10, 2018

Witchking Full Member

The club did not want to buy players who were short term fixes and had no guarantees of winning the title with United.

They would have based this on the current style at United and what jose has done with the funds which were provided for him.
  14. Aug 10, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    This "short term fix" argument is a load of bollox. Even if you ignore the fact we've signed plenty of players as old and older than Toby already, the bloke is a central defender who can be expected to perform at more or less the same level for at least another 3 or 4 years i.e. longer than the first two post-Fergie managers combined! Not to mention that this briefing implies the board were happy to sign Godin. Who is 32 years old!
  15. Aug 10, 2018

adamwest Full Member

Sick of all this negative bullshit. Get behind the players we have. It's pathetic the way not only Jose is letting things pan out but how legends such as Scholes and Neville are talking.

Hopefully the players think "feck them i'll show them" but i'm not sure if that's going to happen.
  16. Aug 10, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Don't think Jose wanted a load of young defenders in there, unless the genius that is Ed Woodward can come up with someone who is a leader and can organise the defence. Jose might have thought Harry Maguire is showing signs of being that man? Ed has an obsesssion with Varane, he is not going to leave Real Madrid. If our captain was vocal it might have helped, but he can barely speak English nevermind organise his defence.
  17. Aug 10, 2018

Ballache Full Member

Feels like it.
    I mean listen, we all want this team to improve and start winning shit again. We have 5 senior cbs at the club, we need to get behind them now. Shitting on our own players isn't going to achieve anything. How about we actually work with the players we have and try to improve them? Bailly and VNL are under 25 which is a young age for cbs, give them confidence and improve them instead of moaning about not signing Jerome Boateng.
  18. Aug 10, 2018

Dec9003 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I'm not sure they're capable unfortunately. Maybe Bailly and Lindelof have a chance because they're young but Jones and Rojo are bad and Smalling is average on a good day.
  19. Aug 10, 2018

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

We'd wish we had Phil Neville at right back nowadays.
  20. Aug 10, 2018

CM10 Full Member

It would make feck all difference without addressing the more important issues in the squad anyway (which Jose was content to leave unresolved). I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it.
  21. Aug 10, 2018

devilish Phil Neville's #1 fan

I doubt he's aiming at Bailly and Lindelof though but more about the older heads whose been kept around despite proving anything remotely consistently good throughout their entire career. Dumb and Dumber are close to their testimonial game. Rojo has been here for 4 years despite giving us 4 decent months of good football and Shaw is pretty much on the same boat for giving us 3-4 good games.

Bottom line of the story, the club doesn't buy well and take years to get rid of the rubbish.
  22. Aug 10, 2018

MonkeysMagic New Member

Irrespective of the fact that our CB contingent can play fantastically well for 89 min but all have a ricket in them to concede a goal, my main issue is with their fragility.

Even with 4 CB options, at any given time 2 of them are on the treatment table so there does not appear to be competition for them to personally improve. I hope we do manage to get a stable parnership and concentrate on issues further up the pitch but time well tell.
  23. Aug 10, 2018

Xaviboy New Member

We need a leader at the back. Someone that can read the game and instruct others. I know we were used by Godin and had no interest in coming but would of been ideal and Toby from spurs. If we are to revert to the 3 at the back. Toby to the left Godin in the centre and Baily to the right of the defense would of been good. Godin as captain.

I am remaining positive going in to this season. I think we have the players. Just need to be better going forward just need to be more positive attacking. Sanchez and Pogba are the players that take risks with the ball we need more like that. Roll on tonight.
  24. Aug 10, 2018

Kyriacandro New Member

Correct me if im wrong but when they were fit jose alot of the time actually preferred them to smalling. When Jones was fit he was selecting him ahead of smalling. Hence why Jones went to the world cup
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2018
  25. Aug 10, 2018

Smores Full Member

So you won't be wanting a new CB or fullbacks in Jan or next summer then?
  26. Aug 10, 2018

AndyJ1985 Full Member Verified Moaner

Well Jose bought two of the defenders who make up that defence.
  27. Aug 10, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Jose should start the season with his two signings. Give them a fair chance. Lindelof got one year to adapt but now it's time to deliver on the pitch. Bailly needs to stay injury free. Bailly and Lindelof on paper will complement each other very well.
  28. Aug 10, 2018

Smores Full Member

Even combined they cost less than VvD and Laporte. I really don't understand this argument you're all parroting. If those players cost a bomb sure Jose deserves stick but they were squad level fees.

Personally i think Bailey will be first choice anyway and the bigger issue is offloading the shite defenders he inherited. Blinds the only one gone and its taken long enough
  29. Aug 10, 2018

settembrini Full Member

Bailly is weak in the air and Lindelof is even worse. Very easy to exploit that partnership.
  30. Aug 10, 2018

Murray3007 Full Member

to be fair he is right but for me it aint the weakest area of the team, we needed a RB, LB n RW much more then we needed a CB. not sure why more isn't being made of that.
  31. Aug 10, 2018

Devil may care Full Member Verified Moaner

Godin had a €25M buyout, Spurs wanted over double that for Alderweield.

The thing is Mourinho must have known this when he bought them, so why did he buy them if aerial defending his his priority for a CB?
  32. Aug 10, 2018

Murray3007 Full Member

Bailey's fee then was not squad player prices, it was a big fee for a CB then, now prices have increased they don't look as bad
  33. Aug 10, 2018

Who cares?! The price is irrelevant to the duration of the "fix" and Chelsea just paid three times the Godin fee for a fecking goalkeeper!
  34. Aug 10, 2018

Not to mention that a) it might be another season or two (if not longer) before they're in their prime and b) even if Mourinho did sign a dud he should be allowed to correct that mistake. Expecting him to have an 100% record in signings in any area of the pitch is basically setting him up to fail.
  35. Aug 10, 2018

Smores Full Member

Exactly, especially on the second point.

It's a bit ironic (don't ya think) as the situation has been created exactly because he did the opposite of what people accuse and went for potential rather than the quick fix.

I mean as a genuine question not a statement , would people have preferred if we had gone for experience and used Smalling/jones as squad players??

Personally I do think we should have combined the money on those two and gone for one big name but it's hardly a massive mistake.
  36. Aug 10, 2018

afrocentricity Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Did one of the Neville's feck your sister or something?
  37. Aug 10, 2018

Enigma_87 You know who

+ he might want to play 3 at the back. And you can't do that with two donkeys in the team in Smalling and Jones.

If Woodward was so worried about finances he should've pulled out the finger out of his a** and sell the deadwood like Rojo, Darmian, etc to free some funds.
  38. Aug 10, 2018

Robbo* New Member

Not sure young players today are cut out that way - seem to be a bit more fragile than in years gone by
  39. Aug 10, 2018

abdo99 Full Member City Lover

We've bought 2 Centre backs with a lot of potential in the last 2 years. Need to get the best out of them first. Our priority was LB, RW and possibly another CM. The only way a CB should move to the front of the list is if an exceptional option like Godin becomes available. You don't hesitate when its that caliber of player. Otherwise the board did well to stand their ground with the names we targeted.
  40. Aug 10, 2018

cyberman Full Member

Nah, it was Smalling plus Jones for a while, Smalling never really spent time on the bench