Champagne on ice lads

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by B Cantona, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Apr 20, 2011

B Cantona Desperate

and lasses

Cracking game tonight. Bad news for Arsenal. Them and Chelsea six behind, we have a strong goal difference, and lets tell it like it is, we'll batter Blackpool who are doomed on final day

We'd have to drop points in three of the next four games to chuck this away

Not for me...
  2. Apr 20, 2011

cold-zebra Clare Baldings Daughter

Not necessarily. Lose two and either of them could catch us on goal difference.
  3. Apr 20, 2011

pauldyson1uk Full Member

I agree , Spuds have done is a massive favor tonight , makes last nigh's result seem not that bad.
  4. Apr 20, 2011

712 Formerly '711' but that was a ridiculous username!

We haven't got a strong goal difference at all.

Chelsea's is 4 worse than us and Arsenal 6, so we lose 2 games 0-1 that's a change of 2, they win by 1-0 that's another 2. Except it's not likely 4 games will be won by only 1 goal.

If Chelsea caught us on points they would almost certainly have a better goal difference, and my money would be on Arsenal to have too.

Let's beat Chelsea and finish it.
  5. Apr 20, 2011

Allforone Full Member

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
    We should be all but there, the position now means even if we lost to both Arsenal and Chelsea theyd still need us to drop another game somewhere else AND go perfect right till the end themselves.

We surely cant feck this up, although last nights game has me a tad worried.
  6. Apr 20, 2011

beardsleybob Full Member

Bit premature wouldn't ya say. 5 games left, playing our two title rivals and you want to celebrate? Personally I won't be supremely confident unless we win our next 2 games. Then I'll consider us to have one hand on the trophy.
  7. Apr 20, 2011

B Cantona Desperate

Last nights result wasn't that bad anyway, Newcastle gave us a bloody good game and were deserving of a point. I think some have unrealistic expectations at times

Still, no doubt Spurs have given us a little more breathing space. We'd have to go completely off the boil to even give our rivals a hope, and that's if they win all their games
  8. Apr 20, 2011

Man-United Full Member

You gotta be joking, let's play Everton first eh? I thought people would learn that United never do things the easy way, this is not even close yet. Come back with 3 games to go and see.
  9. Apr 20, 2011

cj_sparky Full Member

Win our home games, don't lose to Arsenal....Job done.
  10. Apr 20, 2011

Allforone Full Member

Just to add if it does go down to GD Chelsea go away to Everton in the final day, Arsenal go to Fulham and we host Blackpool, youd like to think wed be able to win by a bigger margin than the others if need be.

Truth be told we shouldnt be dropping 6 points.
  11. Apr 20, 2011

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's

If you don't win on Saturday i'll start to hope. Beat Everton though and it's all over for me.
  12. Apr 20, 2011

Man-United Full Member

Yeah exactly. Let's say we lose away to Arsenal which is by no mean unlikely, they are a good side and can beat us.
    Then Chelsea has two home games before us, so it would be down to 3 points and Chelsea having a goal difference on their side as we lose and they win = goal difference switch, shock....

The game at Old Trafford against Chelsea is the massive one now.
  13. Apr 20, 2011

Allforone Full Member

Or even a bad case scenario of losing to Arse and only drawing at home to chavs would still be enough as long as we won the other 3.
  14. Apr 20, 2011

Hitchcocker Full Member

For me, it's still the Arsenal game. Fail to beat them, you have a chance.
  15. Apr 20, 2011

Brophs The one and only

You'd expect us to win on Saturday. Arenal away will be tough after playing midweek and then we'll have to play Schalke and then Chelsea in quick succession. It could easily happen that we don't get a point out of either game which might bring our goal difference to equal or worse. If that happens we might have to a Blackburn who are fighting against relegation. And then there's the Blackpool game which shouldn't be a problem.

It's far from over. Playing our two main rivals one after another means that it we don't lose either we should be fine but neither will be an easy game when you take into account our away form and the fact Chelsea have realised that Drogba's their best bet.
  16. Apr 20, 2011

Galactic Incorrigible pest

Good. Not strong. But yea, we are in a good position. We just have to draw one fo the matches against Chelsea or Arsenal at the least. But anything can happen in football :nervous:
  17. Apr 20, 2011

kietotheworld Banned

I don't understand this, if we beat Everton and you and/or Arsenal win your games, you're still 6 points behind us, and we still have 2 of our toughest games of the season to come. Not only that, we have another away game at Blackburn after Arsenal (we've won less than 30% of our away games this season). Blackburn is a game I see us as more likely to drop points in than Everton at home.
  18. Apr 20, 2011

B Cantona Desperate

It warms me that there are so many pessimists who follow us. I admire that!

But look at it objectively. We're odds on, even assuming our rivals win all their games, we'd have to lose at least two games of our final five - where we have three games at home which has been a fortress, and play the team most out of form in the league this calender year on the last day. And beyond that, we've just beaten Chelsea home and away in the Champions League, and were very unlucky to lose at their gaff earlier in the season... Arsenal can't score for toffee at home... we'd have to be well off our game to lose both of those

I'm confident. Not counting my chickens, but super confident. If you can't win it from this position you don't deserve to be champions
  19. Apr 20, 2011

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

We can lose the match against Arsenal and still win the title. Actually we can lose against Both Chelsea and Arsenal and still win it.
  20. Apr 20, 2011

Badunk Full Member

There's always twists at the end of the season. I'm not counting my chickens.
  21. Apr 20, 2011

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's

You can lose all your games and still win it.
  22. Apr 20, 2011

Xander45 Know-It-All Champion May 2009

I have full confidence in our ability to not lose to both Chelsea and Arsenal, but one step at a time. Everton are next and they won't be a push over.
  23. Apr 20, 2011

SATA Full Member

Don't Chelsea have Spurs at home after the West Ham one? That's a potential banana skin for them with Spurs still chasing for fourth
  24. Apr 20, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    we need 9 points. thats it.
  25. Apr 20, 2011

Lance Uppercut Loves turn based games

I am not counting my chickens, but I'm glad that Chelski didn't go on this run three games earlier.
  26. Apr 20, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I fecking hate threads like this. Someone says don't tempt fate, someone else says the Internet can't influence football matches and round and round it goes.

Obviously, this is just a thread on the internet, but is it really all that flaky to feel uneasy reading it?
  27. Apr 20, 2011

kietotheworld Banned

Objectively, we're massive favourites, and I'm confident we'll win it, but I'm not buying any champagne just yet.
  28. Apr 20, 2011

Hitchcocker Full Member

You say that with ease but we lost to both Liverpool and Chelsea in a short space of time.
  29. Apr 20, 2011

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

I knew someone was going to post this
  30. Apr 20, 2011

beardsleybob Full Member

Looking at the fixtures, beating Everton is essential. After that game we have Schalke twice, Arsenal and Chelsea in the following 4 games. Should we win that game it'll give us the chance to reassess our position and proceed from there. Will SAF go all out in the Schalke first leg or will he play conservatively whilst looking ahead to the Arsenal game? I'm thinking the PL games will get priority until the CL final (fingers crossed we get through). As I've said already I feel two consecutive wins in the league and we have it tentatively sealed.
  31. Apr 20, 2011

Raven Blade Dull

We've relied so much on our good home form, but what if that goes off the boil? If we manage to deal with Everton, then Arsenal at the Emirates, then I will be a lot more confident.

For now i'm not even thinking of champagne. This season has been far too unpredictable.
  32. Apr 20, 2011

Aye but that was Liverpool (game raising bastards) and Chelsea away, not Arsenal who's home form is dodgy and Chelsea at home.
  33. Apr 20, 2011

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Awesome, win all our home games and we are champions. Good thng considering we probably won't win either of our aways, but that doesn't matter.
  34. Apr 20, 2011

friendlytramp More full of crap than a curry house toilet

We will drop points again on Saturday I reckon that will blow it wide open again
  35. Apr 20, 2011

B Cantona Desperate

This isn't an Allardyce Blackburn anymore remember, this is a Steve Kean Blackburn, and under him they've falled right into the shit, and might be going down yet... I fancy us to take all three in that game myself. I think we'll beat Chelsea, draw against Arsenal (though a loss wouldn't surprise me), beat Everton and have a celebration thumping Blackpool on last day
  36. Apr 20, 2011

rednev God Save My Gracious Queen

Done and dusted. Game, set and match. It's in the bag. Etc.
  37. Apr 20, 2011

I hope that Blackpool don't go down because of it though.

No it's not.
  38. Apr 20, 2011

Number7 Ret's Slave

Let's not assume an easy game against Everton. They're more than capable of winning at Old Trafford...especially as we don't know what team Fergie will put out with Shalke 3 days later
  39. Apr 20, 2011

Hitchcocker Full Member

Arsenal at home, in spite of their form, will very much be up for it against us, the same way you'd say about Liverpool and Chelsea still worries me. It is great that we're effectively playing both games as if we are 1-0 up but I wouldn't say with absolute confidence that we wouldn't lose both games.
  40. Apr 20, 2011

buckooo1978 Full Member

i have a feeling we might drop points on saturday - its almost in our nature to make things hard for ourselves

i think chelsea are the main threat - arsenal will drop more points

i think the games away to arsenal and at home to chelsea are the games where we will win the league