Champions League Final 2019 | Spurs v Liverpool (1st June)

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Samid, May 8, 2019.

1. May 25, 2019

Hughie77 New Member

Spurs will lead up till 89nth minute . Pool get a dodgy VAR pen, equalise, extra time, and pens, Allisson will be told to do a Grobbelar, wonky legs thing, and totally mess it up, spurs win on pens. Maybe?
  2. May 25, 2019

Hughie77 New Member

Serious, I think Spurs can do it, the game at Anfield they should have, won and not lost it. They can play two ways spurs, go long or keep the ball, pool play one way, press press press, cause mistakes hit them high up pitch. If a team doesn't make mistakes on the press, they find it harder to score.

Hope Kane is fit? Lorente is one who can hold up ball from a longer game, it's going to be interesting . But I think Spurs can do it.
  3. May 25, 2019

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Given the circumstances, two clubs from the same league who haven't won a trophy between them in two decades battling it out in the CL final, I find predicting the outcome of this encounter near-impossible.

That said, my gut says Spurs will pull it off.
  4. May 25, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Just out of interest, are you all happy with Matip starting? Surprised Gomez hasn't come straight back in after injury and I think with his pace you'd be more comfortable for those occasions when Robbo and TAA are caught upfield and they get the ball quickly to Son or Moura....
  5. May 25, 2019

Rob Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Matip’s actually done really well since he started getting regular game time. Can’t see him not playing the final, but it’ll be interesting to see how we line up next season with four capable cb’s.
  6. May 25, 2019

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Yeah I've been really impressed by Matip when I've watched you play. Brings the ball out of defence really well and I really don't see him making any errors.

Seems to go under the radar because obviously Van Djik is world class, but Matip has turned in to one of the better defenders in the league this season I think. With him, Gomez and VVD you're set really well in that department.
  7. May 25, 2019

ArjenIsM3 Full Member

Pool are obviously the better team but I hooe Spurs pull it off. That would cement Klopp as a bottler.
  8. May 25, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    No it wouldn't.
  9. May 25, 2019

ArjenIsM3 Full Member

3 lost CL finals + losing against a side that is 26 points below you in the league? Yes, in my mind it definitely would. I'm fine with you still loving him though, suit yourself
  10. May 25, 2019

Casanova85 Full Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    If Klopp loses the final, then Manager of the Season surely will go to Pep, not Poch.
  11. May 25, 2019

Klopper76 "Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think a big factor in this game is how well Spurs handle TAA & Robertson. If they can get a handle on those two then it’ll go a long way towards beating us.

If they’re allowed to get forward then I think Spurs will struggle.
  12. May 25, 2019

Rob Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Me too. Quite the turnaround from being clear fourth choice and a player whom I was largely indifferent to. Shows how important it can be to have a capable partner as both Matip and Lovren got far better once Van Dijk was signed.
  13. May 25, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Agreed. We badly struggled in the second leg vs City in wide areas, and if that happens again we will lose. Can't allow Robertson/TAA space to get those crosses in.
  14. May 25, 2019

Skills Snitch

4-1 to Liverpool
  15. May 25, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Managers can't bottle anything. They aren't on the pitch, how do you bottle managing a game? I've never understood this. It's yet more lazy use of the bottling tag.

Losing one game against a team who are an underdog but still knocked out Ajax, Dortmund and City would not be a bottlejob. In other finals he has been an underdog so it's not a pattern.
  16. May 25, 2019

Casanova85 Full Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    You can't be serious.
  17. May 25, 2019

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Interesting. So you think Poch is going three at the back then for the final? Alde, Verto and Sanchez?
  18. May 26, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I am. I really don't understand how a manager gets so nervous for a final he somehow translates that to the players on the pitch.

Managers don't play games, only players can bottle situations, unless the manager gets panicky and makes a super defensive sub which backfires etc, but Klopp hasn't done that.

Maybe if he's twitchy pre-game that'll rub off on the players, but again I always find this shit so vague .. but then the 'bottling' tag is like that in general.
  19. May 26, 2019

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Hopefully fecking not, we've looked woeful 9/10 times we've gone with 3atb.
  20. May 26, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Please no. I would consider putting Verts to LB and starting Toby and Sanchez.
  21. May 26, 2019

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    I doubt it. But playing with a back 4 doesn't have to prevent Rose or Trippier (or whoever) from getting forward when needed. For example, it's always possible for Dier as DM (if he is picked to play) to temporarily drop back in between the 2 CBs, who can then split wider if needed to cover any vacated flank.
  22. May 26, 2019

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I know, that's why seeing the word wingbacks got me excited. :)

So if it's 4 at the back I can imagine the majority of play will be with Mane and Robertson to exploit Trippier. Salah might get a look in against Rose on the odd occasion .
  23. May 26, 2019

Scroto Baggins Full Member

Klopp to ruthlessly exploit Trippiers defensive fragility, something like 75% of attacks down his side of the park. Standard Gegenpressen, look to overwhelm Spurs and get in early, take the wind out of their sails. A 2-0 or 3-1 lead before fatigue really starts to kick in around the 60th minute or so from said Gegenpressen is what Klopp would be hoping for. The thing is Spurs are certainly no slouches fitness wise, and can maintain a high tempo press of their own. If you burn yourself out too early they have more than enough in the tank, and with the attacking talent they have, to hurt you later in the game. Spurs seem to be slow starters as well, maybe I was just lucky in the games I have watched where their first half was a snore fest. Feels like they pick up momentum as the game wears on but rarely come out of the traps and blow teams away. Liverpool have that in them and I dont think Spurs do.

This certainly wont be easy for Liverpool, some Pool fans thinking they will walk it are mistaken and not giving the Spurs squad enough credit. But Liverpool should win, league position tells us they are the better side overall but in a one off game anything can happen, Mo Salah dives, Llorente handballs, should be a good match for the neutrals.
  24. May 26, 2019

TheLiverBird Full Member

Only the deluded Ones, we all have them

Any sane Liverpool fan (yes there is such a thing, we do exist) does not think we will walk it against Spurs

Yes we are a better team than Spurs, but Spurs are a fantastic side themselves in a position they will want to capitalise on just as much as Liverpool.

This is not going to be easy for any side, both teams have the quality and desire to Win this Final.
  25. May 26, 2019

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
  26. May 26, 2019

Klopper76 "Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"

Supports:
    Liverpool
  27. May 26, 2019

Supports:
    Spurs
    As far as I know every player is in full training, though one or two - e.g. Kane and Winks - might not be fully match fit.
  28. May 26, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Can see Aurier starting. Needs to watch he dosen't do anything crazy but he has plenty of big match experience from his time at PSG.

I thought the general feeling was Trippier had an awful season and does feel like an area Liverpool will overload to really exploit.
  29. May 27, 2019

Dumbstar Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    How many players with zero matches played in the last few weeks / months can Poch risk throwing into the final? We might risk Firmino and maybe Keita (unlikely with Nabi as we have fit midfielders raring to go) but that's about it.

At this rate seems like Spurs may risk Aurier, Kane and Winks. Maybe Dier?
  30. May 27, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    No doubt about it your certainly in a better position squad wise than us. There is a reason you are favourites... really no excuse for you not to win ;).
  31. May 27, 2019

Ban Full Member

Problem with Spurs is they sometimes begin on a bad foot so Poch needs to change things at HT. They can't afford that this time imo cause Liverpool will probably go gung ho from the 1st minute.
    One can only hope this rest and no games will fo more harm to Liverpool than to Spurs.
  32. May 27, 2019

So Spurs have the option of Trippier who is great going forward but has been found wanting a few times defensively. Or Aurier of the rash challenges. Actually how is Aurier still even at Spurs? Seems like he has been there for years and done nothing, like Lamela.
  33. May 27, 2019

Supports:
    Spurs
    Aurier has been at Spurs for less than two years - this summer will be only his 2nd pre-season with us.
  34. May 27, 2019

Speedy30 Liverpool Fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    We went gung ho against Barca as we had no choice. It'll be a bit more cagey against Spurs I think and we'll b wary of their counter-attacking threat as they will be of ours.
  35. May 27, 2019

Feels like he has been there longer.

Whats the news with Keita and Firminho? Both were making good progress.
  36. May 27, 2019

Needham Full Member

Are you really a Liverpool fan? That post was incredible. Unless you're forum grooming us all like some high IQ paed.
  37. May 27, 2019

jackwanson New Member

Supports:
    Man City
    A lot more pressure on Liverpool to win it. I personally think this could be the beginning of a new era for Liverpool FC or the beginning of a very rapid decline. Despite what crazy RAWK fans think, losing another CL Final after barely losing the PL will absolutely crush this team. Expect tons of players leaving if they lose. You will probably begin to see a very quick fall from grace if they were to lose this FINAL. On the other hand, if they were to win? I don't think they will lose any players and sign a couple to become stronger next season. Expect them to challenge City for the next half decade. I truly believe in momentum in sports. Weather it's a game or a season. This is it.

That being said. Expect Liverpool to win 2-0 or 3-1. Also expect 100 times the news coverage when Liverpool wins compare to City winning the PL.
  38. May 27, 2019

utdalltheway Sexy Beast

Kane looking to be fit to play, whether it’s off the bench or a starter.
    Back in 2014 the championship playoff final, the CL final and the Monaco GP qualifying were all on the same Saturday.
    Now it’s all spread out, which isn’t great, imo.
  39. May 27, 2019

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    This isn't really based on the evidence we have available though, is it? Liverpool must have been devastated to lose the CL final last season, especially in the manner that they did with Karius almost wholly at fault, and how did they respond...by recording their highest ever points tally in the league and getting to the final yet again. This is a strong Liverpool side, both technically and mentally. I also don't see a mass exodus if they fail to win, in fact I don't see why it would have much bearing on their outgoings. If anything, you could argue them winning it might make a few more amenable to leaving as they may feel they've won the top prize with Liverpool and want to try their luck elsewhere.

If you were a player wanting to sign for a football club right now, and you looked at clubs that you think are set up to challenge for the foreseeable future, Liverpool would have to be near the front of the list for many. That will be the case win or lose against Spurs on Saturday.
  40. May 28, 2019

St Red KRAP

Harry Kane ready to go.

He swears on his daughters life he's fit.