Champions League odds suggest the trophy heading back to Spain

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Niall, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jan 19, 2011

Niall All Powerful Super Being

There is around three weeks to go until the Champions League returns and it is little surprise that Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid are the two hot favourites to bring the Champions League back to Spain after Inter Milan were slightly shock winners of the competition last year.

Barcelona have been better domestically this season but they are likely to raise their game when it comes to playing Arsenal in the next round, a team that they destroyed in the competition last year. Barcelona have either won the Champions League or gone out to the winners in the last three seasons so it would be a good omen for Arsenal if they progress, but they have their work cut out to topple Barcelona who are around 11/5 in the outright betting. Barcelona are just under evens to beat Arsenal at the Emirates, Arsenal are around 3/1 to win that game and are as big as 25/1 now to win the Champions League.

Real Madrid are the second favourites in the outright betting, they have failed to make an impact in the competition in recent seasons but they have the services of Jose Mourinho this season, who won the competition last year with Inter Milan and previously with Porto. Madrid are best priced 4/1 to win the Champions League and face a relatively easy tie against Lyon, the French team are no pushovers but are 125/1 to win the tournament.

Best of the English challenge this year may be Man Utd, but it is Chelsea who are third favourites in the Champions League odds at 5/1 with most bookies, a fair way ahead of Man Utd who are around 8/1. Chelsea have the easier draw, they face Copenhagen whilst Man Utd will take on Marseille, and that has helped shape those odds although both sides should progress without too much hassle.

Spurs have arguably been the highlight of the tournament so far, breaking the scoring record in the competition in the process, and they are around the same price to win the Champions League as their opponents in the next round AC Milan. Both can be backed at just over 20/1. Spurs are yet to win away in the Champions League so far so one of the best bets of the next round could be AC Milan to win at the San Siro at just under even money.

There are plenty more great fixtures in the second round of the Champions League and still plenty of value to be had in the outright betting too. The longer the competition goes on, the lower odds you will get on your bets.

Get the latest betting news, tips, free bets and Champions League odds at OLBG.
  2. Jan 19, 2011

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    How are Chelsea still shorter odds than us?
  3. Jan 19, 2011

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    How do Real have such good odds? They've failed to pass the last 16 since 2005!
  4. Jan 19, 2011

kietotheworld Banned

They've virtually been given a bye into the Quarter Finals.
  5. Jan 19, 2011

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    They couldn't even beat wolves a few weeks ago
  6. Jan 19, 2011

kietotheworld Banned

Every team has a few bad games now and then. As much as they couldn't beat Wolves, you still wouldn't be banking on teams as poor as Wolves getting anything from games against them. They'll win over two legs, it's as close to a certainty as you can get in this competition, and by the time it gets to the QFs they probably won't be in such poor form any more.
  7. Jan 19, 2011

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Well we lost to Burnley last season and still made the quarter finals. I don't see your point.
  8. Jan 19, 2011

Enigma_87 Full Member

They have 3 wins in their last 12 matches in Premiership.
  9. Jan 19, 2011

K Stand Knut Full Member

Yo momma's so fat, she walked past the TV and i mi
    These odds are pretty much bollocks until the second round has been played. There is no way of telling who will play each other until the QF and SF draw is made. For all we know, Barca and Real will draw each other in the QF and then it will all change.

The odds released after the OF draw, and subsequent SF draw will determine more realistic odds.

As for Chelsea, 6 weeks ago, I would gave agreed with people saying that they will come good and beat Copenhagen but they still have not quite turned the corner yet. Even in their latest win, they looked susceptible to conceding at times. It will only take a few wins back to back to put them back on track but until that happens, they will still be there for the taking.

Copenhagen could quite feasibly beat them over 2 legs
  10. Jan 19, 2011

United Fan 101 Holds a Ph.D. in Football

Spurs more likely than Arsenal, say the bookies.

Poor gooners :lol:

Chelsea are ridiculously short, IMO.
  11. Jan 19, 2011

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Chelsea will probably be drawn against Shakhtar in the next round and Schalke in semi final though. ;)
  12. Jan 19, 2011

Red Defence Full Member

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
    If Arsenal beat Barca it's really going to turn those odds on their head.
  13. Jan 19, 2011

Cal? from Redcafe (matchfixing department)

Not going to happen, unless someone in La Liga injures a few Barca players before the tie.
  14. Jan 19, 2011

alastair ignorant

I've got a sneaking suspicion we might just do something. The home leg will be key - get a dull 0-0, take it to the Nou Camp, and just play long ball to Walcott all night long. None of their defence like pace.
  15. Jan 19, 2011

I really hope you do, just can't see it.

Inter last season, Chelsea the season before (albeit robbed), United the season before have shown exactly how you deal with Barca.

I just can't see Arsenal implementing that strategy or pulling it off even if you do.
  16. Jan 20, 2011

misterredmist Full Member

People read far to much into bookies "odds".

Firstly, sports betting is far more prevelent in the UK, so the English teams tend to get backed more by their supporters and the bookies have to adjust the prices accordingly.

But for punters who don't support any of the English teams in the UCL, and those that o but don't mind betting against their team, it does'nt take Einstein to work out that a stack load of cash will go on to the Catalan club.

As for Real, yes, they have'nt progressed through the round of 16 for a long time,but punters must look at their squad and manager and think that they have half a chance now.......

London have 3 clubs in the last 16 - I wonder if that's the first time 3 clubs from one city have gone through ? Mind you, I'm guessing only Moscow would be another city with more than 2 top flight clubs, so perhaps I've answered my own question....
  17. Jan 20, 2011

Madrid has 3 clubs in the top flight, but obviously Getafe won't get anywhere near the CL.
  18. Jan 20, 2011

Radamel FalCinao Shagawa Baby!

I'd go

1. Barca
    2. Man Utd
    3. Chelsea
    4. Real Madrid
    5. Bayern Munich

To be honest though, I can't really see anyone toppling Barca this year, it's a weaker CL, Chelsea aren't as good, we're probably still the same, Arsenal will probably get whooped, nobody knows what the feck Real are likely to do. Bayern are always dark horses who can spring a surprise or 2.
  19. Jan 20, 2011

Red Defence Full Member

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
    I'm rootin' for you alastair, if anyone can do it Arsenal (on their day) can.
  20. Jan 20, 2011

Anduin Full Member

You'll need a defensive masterclass performance to keep it goalless at the Emirates, can't see it happen myself. I wouldn't be too surprised to see you beat them at home because you're very good going forward and Barcelona's defence does not convince me in the slightest, but at the Camp Nou there is little light at the end of the tunnel. We will see whether Wenger has learned from last year or not.
    I'd love to see Barcelona going out though, only team in the competition I'm a bit scared of if we should face them.
  21. Jan 20, 2011

misterredmist Full Member

I think Arsenal will have learned from last season:

Knowing about Barca and being able to do anything to stop them
    are different matters though.............
  22. Jan 20, 2011

Barca are also a feckload better than they were last season. I don't think Arsenal will get anything out of this, they'll be lucky to avoid being trumped.
  23. Jan 20, 2011

Enigma_87 Full Member

Ditto.

But with Mourinho you never know. It could easily be:

1. Barca
    2. Real Madrid
    3. Man Utd
    4. Chelsea
    5. Bayern Munich

Although with no striker and always questionable defense I'd rather go with your odds.
  24. Jan 20, 2011

towcester_red Full Member

Barcelona will pick holes in that Arsenal back four, I cant wait to watch them get horribly exposed, again.
  25. Jan 20, 2011

ecantona7 Full Member

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
    I would've doubted Inter but with leonardo getting inter to play some good football and string together a couple of wins, I think Inter will knock bayern out.
  26. Jan 20, 2011

Inter were dark horses last year, nobody knew what to expect from them and they exposed that wonderfully. I don't think they're the team they were last year by a long shot either and I can't see them causing any surprises this year. Bayern can always be relied on to deliver on the European stage, typical Germans really.
  27. Jan 20, 2011

Devil may care Full Member

I think Barca are comfortably favourites right now, with a group of us jostling for position below them.
  28. Jan 20, 2011

I don't see 2-4 in your list being any weaker than Inter last season.