Champions League Round of 16 Draw

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Samid, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017

broccoli Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Supports:
    FCPorto
    As a Porto fan i just want to win the league. We have one of the smallest budgets since I remember so being in the knockouts is already a feat itself.

But I'd like to avoid City and Chelsea because i don't like the clubs. Psg would be boring too so bring on United, Liverpool or Spurs! Would be a good time to visit OT.
  2. Dec 7, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    The odds of us drawing Chelsea are 43%

Bring them on, it’s time for Messi to end his drought in style.
  3. Dec 7, 2017

groovyalbert Full Member

4. Dec 7, 2017

Sigma Full Member Scouse Lover

5. Dec 7, 2017

InfiniteBoredom Full Member

I don't understand all the fear of Madrid. We lost 2-1 in the Super Cup fielding our worst CB duo and they have been schooled by a Spurs team we beat in the PL. Ronaldo is hardly lighting it up this year either.

Bring them on I say, Juve and Bayern are harder nuts to crack.
  6. Dec 7, 2017

LennonNL nipple flasher and door destroyer

We’ll get Juve. I’m calling it right now.
  7. Dec 7, 2017

Cloud7 Full Member

We’ve played Bayern and Real in recent years. Would like Juve this time around.
  8. Dec 7, 2017

MZX7 @Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

Bayern may be beatable.

Real Madrid will up their game starting the R16. Their ego must already be massively hurting finishing second in a group topped by Spurs.

I'd love to see us knock out Bayern.

And City being knocked out by Real Madrid.
  9. Dec 7, 2017

Jaap Full Member

Bring on Real, Bayern or Juventus.
  10. Dec 7, 2017

Cal? CR7 fan

Yet he's top scorer in the CL again having scored 50% more than the next highest scorer.
  11. Dec 7, 2017

Varun Moderator Staff

They are having an average season but I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the games you've mentioned. The super cup is a friendly and the group stages is a formality for Spurs. If it was a KO game, they'd spank Spurs silly. Real in the CL KOs is a different beast, that's when they start taking the tournament seriously.
  12. Dec 7, 2017

NotQuiteManc Full Member

Supports:
    Higher Income Tax For The Rich
    We will get Juve, 'cos Pogboom.
  13. Dec 7, 2017

He's a lot better in the CL than Liga but have dropped off a ton from the form that saw him carrying them through the KO stages last season. Scored only 2 league goals as well. You can argue that it'd give him more incentive to perform in Europe seeing that the league is lost but if their form continues in this vein as a team sooner or later his CL record will be affected as well, and in all honesty APOEL and Dortmund are hardly the best defensive teams where he've scored the majority of his goals (7).

I don't buy that they werent serious against Spurs, you think they'd want to put themselves in a position where they would meet us or PSG or City from the first KO round? When a team is playing poorly in general it affected their form regardless of competition. They've also conceded 2 goals or more against Valencia, Girona, Malaga, Fuenlabrada, Dortmund, Spurs and went goalless against Betis, Bilbao, Atletico. Sure, we are not the favourite all things considered given that most of our attack are green in Europe and they are much more experienced in these types of game but on the whole it's more like 55-45 in their favour rather than the slam dunk some are talking about.
  14. Dec 7, 2017

Varun Moderator Staff

I agree with you on how you see the game. I'd have them favourites but by a small margin like you. That's just the Caf being Caf. I just don't agree with drawing conclusions from the games you mentioned.
  15. Dec 7, 2017

Cal? CR7 fan

We have seen plenty of sides give up on the league and concentrate on the CL and win it, they have a bigger incentive than most with the possibility of a 3-peat.

I’d make them favorites against any of the group winners.
  16. Dec 7, 2017

LLMU Full Member

Bring on the big team, being out of Champions League for so long means we need to play against the best. I trust Jose in preparing the team over two leg games.
  17. Dec 7, 2017

How many actually have done it? The closest examples in the last odd 15 years were Liverpool 05, Milan 07 and Chelsea 12. The majority of winners were league champions or involved in title race right until the end.

It'd be very unusual for a team playing this poorly in the league this early to go on to win it.
  18. Dec 7, 2017

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

Apart from PSG and Barcelona, I don't particularly fear any other team. With Mourinho I do think we can take any team.
  19. Dec 7, 2017

fishfingers15 Contributes to username and tagline changes

Real are unconvincing, but the games are actually played in Feb aren't they? Forms of teams may look different by then.
  20. Dec 7, 2017

McGrathsipan Full Member Knee-jerker

Liverpool have a chance this year.
  21. Dec 7, 2017

Daysleeper New Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Not with that defense, their ceiling is the quarter finals
  22. Dec 7, 2017

B20 HALA MADRID!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    This. It's not uncommon to see slow starts go all the way and bright starters to fade. I expect Real to look a different proposition once the stakes are raised.
  23. Dec 7, 2017

haram Full Member

All they've done is beat Spartak and Maribor at home. They will lose against anyone who can actually defend.
  24. Dec 7, 2017

Siorac Full Member

We failed to score over 180 minutes so our elimination was clearly not entirely down to average goalkeepers.
  25. Dec 7, 2017

2plus2is4 New Member

Supports:
    Ze Germans
    No it's not. They published the research on the official site of the university.
    https://epub.ub.uni-muenchen.de/11483/
  26. Dec 7, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

We always come across Porto in the KO stages, would be happy with them or Sevilla.
  27. Dec 7, 2017

Treble Full Member

Porto and Sevilla, then Shakhtar.
  28. Dec 7, 2017

Schneckerl Full Member

Besiktas - Basel
    Utd - Shakhtar/Porto/Sevilla

QF draw
    Utd - Besiktas/Basel
  29. Dec 7, 2017

Cal? CR7 fan

That’s more to do with the utter La Liga domination in recent years, Barca & Real are almost always involved in the title race.
  30. Dec 7, 2017

Pyroblazer That's a hot jacket, man

The super cup game isn't really a good example though. They toyed with us in that game and could have destroyed us in the first half. After those game all comments were like "It was the best team in the world, we did our best, still a bit too good for us etc.."
    Also I expect a strong Real Madrid side in March. It's not like we playing fantastic stuff either, even when we have big wins like against Arsenal it's in the kind of shittest way possible. It's not like we can play like that against Real or Bayern and get away with it.
  31. Dec 7, 2017

VanGaalEra Full Member

First try on draw simulator got us Shakhtar and the second try got us Juve.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  32. Dec 7, 2017

Even before that, it was always the rule, the English teams in mid to late 2000s, Bayern, Juve, Dortmund. Most of the semi finalists tend to be title contenders, with a couple of exceptions thrown in due to favourable draws like Schalke in 2011.

Point being, league form is a pretty decent indicator of your CL form in most years. If you are not playing well week in week out in the league, sooner or later it tends to catch up with you in cup competitions, rather than the other way around. I'm not saying that there's no chance they will improve, but of the last 2-3 months they've been getting worse and worse, and I watch quite a bit of their league games.

Well they toyed with us and ended up winning by a goal against the likes of Smalling and Lindelof and Blind (?). I think we have to accept at this point that with Mourinho at the helm we will come under the cosh against any elite team but our defense is actually pretty good especially at home and if the likes of Girona or Fuenlabrada can score 2 goals against them, why can't we?

I just don't agree with the notion that they are overwhelming favourite that we must avoid. At this point they are nowhere near the monster team they were at the end of last season and frankly looks a bit clueless in attack (we do as well, tbf). Neither team will be happy with drawing the other and it'll be a tight affair.
  33. Dec 7, 2017

NotBrendanRodgers honest Banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I'll take anyone except Juve!
  34. Dec 7, 2017

Nedved Full Member

It’s true that Juve have had a slow start, but that has nearly always been the case the past years. Allegri needs a few months to find his best starting XI and formation. We should hit form somewhere in February or March.
  35. Dec 7, 2017

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

Think we have a decent chance against any team.
  36. Dec 7, 2017

What's hurting you a bit this year is Dybala getting cocky and adversely affected Higuain's performances. Their shots per game have essentially reversed in comparison to last season. Still, you are pretty damn good in big games, as the win against Napoli last week showed.
  37. Dec 7, 2017

Darkhorsez Full Member

38. Dec 7, 2017

shahzadi Full Member

It could have gone to penalties, both goals in each leg were due to poor goalkeeping. No wonder we signed Van Der Sar straight after that season. Enough of Roy Carrol and Tim Howard.
  39. Dec 7, 2017

Sunspear17 Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    If one or more English teams don't get to at least the Semis this year, then it will be an utter failure. It's probably the best year of any because of how poor the big clubs have been.
  40. Dec 7, 2017

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

It was actually a centerback trio, but even so including two of the same that won at Arsenal, etc.