Chelsea 2018/19 - Higuain to save the campaign from going down the drain?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by duffer, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Feb 11, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

It's certainly the most precarious moment of the Abramovic era.

Mourinho's first side served them well even during the years when they were being mismanaged by the likes of Scolari, AVB & Di Matteo and then fair play to Mourinho he rebuilt the side again bringing in the likes of Costa, Matic & Fabregas but since then Conte and now Sarri have done a right number on it and with Hazard potentially leaving in the summer it does leave them pretty fecked especially when the best their recruitment can bring in is the likes of a 31 year old Higuain and Pulisic who's warming the bench at Dortmund.

All it takes is for Hazard to stay and a couple of good signings rather than the dross they've brought in over the last two years and they could easily be up there again though. Like I said it's extremely precarious at the moment...
  2. Feb 11, 2019

Patrick08 Full Member

Arsenal's Kolasinac has the same problem as well.
  3. Feb 11, 2019

Bojan11 Full Member

The last decade they had a different squad. I just told you their last successful league winning team is broken up. Most of those players don’t play for them or getting old.

Yes any team can beat anybody on their day. They can apply to anyone in the premier league. Chelsea have been bang average. The FA cup last season was more down to us being inept. They parked the bus and obviously under Jose we won’t have any clue how to break down a team.
  4. Feb 11, 2019

Santoryo ripping the reward

:lol:
  5. Feb 11, 2019

RG 11 Full Member

That first mourinho side had 3 huge characters in Terry Lampard and Drogba. Which is why I think they were able to stay fairly successful even after mourinho left the first time.

Currently, I don't see that character in the team. And I think Roman has reduced his investment in the club significantly as well, right?
  6. Feb 11, 2019

Bojan11 Full Member

It had more than 3 characters.

They had Cech, Carvalho, Essien and Cole too. They had a consistent base of winners. Just needed the right managers.
  7. Feb 11, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Apart from us getting the top 4, there's nothing more I want to see than Jose going back to the Bridge for the final act, like Scream 3.
  8. Feb 11, 2019

Spiersey Chelsea fan

People are going overboard based on the City game, it was a freak scoreline. The first 4 goals are 3 massive errors and a screamer, you can’t account for those. First 30 minutes was pretty even, 1-0 city was probably fair at that point (if we disregard the errors). Heads dropped from 4-0 and the 2nd half was much more one aided than the 2nd, despite the smaller scoreline. Just a freak game where city scored every chance first half bar the Aguero miss. Yes Chelsea are a long way behind and are playing poorly but I don’t think much can be taken from the game yesterday really.
  9. Feb 11, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Bit harsh on Conte, who came in and dominated the PL in his first season after Mou's disaster season. This is what prompted Pep's big summer blowout the transfer window IMO (Finishing 15 points behind Conte).

Chelsea are a weird one, they are the most successful PL club of the last decade but it almost feels like a new team every year. I think the mentality side is where they are weak - it's as if they don't really care about their erratic form and are now just waiting to see who comes in post Sarri. same as they did 2nd season with Conte, same as they did 3rd season with Mou... when things are going well, they're great but once they drop a few points it's like they just give up.
  10. Feb 11, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

But look what Conte did in that second summer! Gets rid of Costa and Matic and replaces them with Morata and Bakayoko.
  11. Feb 11, 2019

FootyGirl88

:lol:
  12. Feb 11, 2019

tomaldinho1 Full Member

Wasn't the issue that he had no say on transfers? From articles at the time he had asked for neither Morata or Bakayoko if I remember correctly
  13. Feb 11, 2019

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Nah Kante would have literally intercepted at least 3 goals.
  14. Feb 11, 2019

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

15. Feb 11, 2019

robbie81 New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    This is the issue, once we are behind we suck. Doesn't even matter how bad the team is we are playing.
  16. Feb 11, 2019

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    It's been building for a while.

If they fail to finish top 4 then next season will be their 2nd straight season in the EL - when did that last happen?Couple that with the freezing of their new stadium plans and Hazard's likely departure and I start to wonder if this is the start of Chelsea's slide back to where they came from pre-Abramovich.
  17. Feb 11, 2019

RedTillI'mDead A Key Tool

I've seen a couple of fans trying to defend the Chelsea game. Sorry to say chap, but you need to get real, you were dominated, outclassed and rightfully beaten.

City could have made it worse, they practically played like they were in third gear and still ruined you.

The scoreline was not flattering.

You are dreaming if you think that performance was anything other than a complete disgrace from Chelsea.

I've just gone back to remind myself..
    First goal shit defending, ball crosses area for a tap in
    Second goal world class finish from Aguero, but two Chelsea players basically let him shuffle to the right for the shot, no sense of urgency.
    Third goal..forget mistake it was pure stupidity. Who in their right mind defends a ball by heading it right towards the middle of their area.
    Fourth goal..similar to Aguero, edge of the box, no defensive shape, great strike but there to be had
    Fifth goal...crap tackle, rightful penalty, more shit defending
    Sixth goal..more crap defending and a tap in

Even forgetting all 6 of those goals, Aguero missed an easy tap in, just missed connection with a diving header which would have been a goal and Jesus had a one on one which was well saved, but there to be scored. This could have made it 9

Chelsea had a few chances that were far from clear cut. One in middle of the area that was well managed by keeper, but not much to do. There was the Higuan save that was a brilliant shot and great save, but there to be saved as just above him. De Gea would have made that look far less dramatic.

Beyond that it was nothing chances like the Hazard run with weak shot at the end that was going wide anyway.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  18. Feb 11, 2019

Mastadon New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Hopefully Abramovich gets bored of football and these idiots drop out leaving us with one less team to compete with.
  19. Feb 11, 2019

FootyGirl88

When was last time Abramovich was seen? He used to go to every game.
  20. Feb 11, 2019

ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg Full Member

Didn’t he have his visa refused, which limited him to the amount of time he can spend in the UK?
  21. Feb 11, 2019

SungSam7 New Member

Think the UK denied him a visa during the summer and has failed to get one since. I remember reading the UK and Russian connection has been fragile since Russia has been accused of poisoning someone on British soil.
  22. Feb 11, 2019

FootyGirl88

That doesn't sound good
  23. Feb 11, 2019

MJJ Full Member

Good? It sounda brilliant.
  24. Feb 11, 2019

FootyGirl88

Good for Chelsea