Chelsea 2018/19 - You can bank on Barkley

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by duffer, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Oct 27, 2018

Kentonio Full Member

But as a striker you lose a lot of what he offers, in terms of his ability to pick the ball up fairly deep and drive through the midfield. Conte tried him as a striker and he did very little.
  2. Oct 27, 2018

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    This craze that any technically good player should play further up is getting rather silly.

At Chelsea alone there's Gallas, Luiz, Cesc and now Jorginho and RLC.
  3. Oct 27, 2018

Synco Full Member

Erm... I think he isn't there anymore.
  4. Oct 27, 2018

Dancfc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Im talking about overall, forgot to include the been.
  5. Oct 27, 2018

Synco Full Member

Makes sense, just looked a bit funny in that list.

Edit: Ah, I have only now understood what you actually meant. Sorry, nevermind.
  6. Oct 27, 2018

Theafonis In love with @Eboue

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Sell Willian and sign Jaden Sancho :drool:
  7. Oct 27, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

I don't want no ex-Watford players thank you very much.
  8. Oct 27, 2018

horsechoker Sailor vee, this is a right off.

no ex-Watford players want you!
  9. Oct 28, 2018

TheMagicFoolBus Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    True, but in Conte's system the striker has to play with their back to goal & there is much less emphasis on playing to feet compared to Sarri - I just am never sure RLC will be defensively capable of playing in midfield outside of a #10 role.
  10. Oct 28, 2018

ZolaWasMagic New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    That is the one thing that annoys me with some of our fanbase. If one of our 18yr olds bangs 4 in against another EPL2 side, they want them in the first team. It infuriates me no end. Then RLC bangs in a hat trick against a woeful BATE and now talk of him being ahead of Kovacic? Get in the bin ffs. RLC needs another loan IMO so as not to stagnate because I still dont think he is better than any of our mids besides Drinkwater, albeit different positions

In the last 18 months I have seen our fans desperate for Colkett to be in the squad, then they moved onto Dujon Sterling, then Aina, then forgot about all those and decded they wanted Mount in the squad (which he will in 2-3 yrs), then it was Abraham who is nowhere near good enough, now it's CHO.

Just proof that they go with whoever is flavour of the month and clearly dont watch them enough to properly judge.
  11. Oct 28, 2018

Fans are just hungry to see a youth player given a chance, not sure why that would be the one thing that annoys you about our fanbase but OK.
  12. Oct 28, 2018

Cassidy No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Nah he just needs a transfer, he was very good for Palace last season he should just leave, but being a Chelsea fan I guess its difficult for him.
  13. Oct 28, 2018

Varun Moderator Staff

This :lol:
  14. Oct 28, 2018

Hazard Warning New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I’ve been supporting this club for close to 26 years and this is the best football we have ever played. Even if we win nothing, get Sarri signed up for life. What a man.
  15. Oct 28, 2018

Kentonio Full Member

Really impressive performance today, with no Eden in the team. Shows we’re not some one trick pony. Especially good to see Morata back on the score sheet, Giroud coming ridiculously close, Willian on top form and above all Ross Barkley absolutely shining.

Despite his goal I wasn’t that impressed with RLC today, but good to see him getting more minutes.
  16. Oct 28, 2018

FujiVice Full Member

Has there ever been a time when three teams have went into November unbeaten in the Premiership? And does this add to the fact this is a piss pot league with loads of shit teams in it or that its more competitive?
  17. Oct 28, 2018

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Think it just shows the gulf is huge between top teams and everyone else really, compared to last few years when top sides could drop points v anyone.
  18. Oct 28, 2018

Kentonio Full Member

I don't think the lower teams are any weaker than before, I think we just have 3 teams coming into top form at the same time for the first time in a number of years. The top players in the PL have been underperforming for years as Europe has proved, but last year it started to change and this year even more so. It's a good time for English football (as long as Liverpool don't win anything).
  19. Oct 28, 2018

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

Another excellent result for them today. I dont think we'll ever score 4 goals again.
  20. Oct 28, 2018

Orc Pretended to be a United fan for two years

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Our midfield 3 were awesome today. All 3 barely ever take more than one or two touches and they make it look effortless.

Jorginho is a gem and makes everyone around him better. Fantastic player. And in the matches where Sarri rests or subs him out, Cesc has been training to play in that same way.

We've never had this sort of quality depth in midfield. Jorginho, Kante, Barkley, Cesc, RLC, Kovacic. So good.
  21. Oct 28, 2018

Mb194dc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Probably true, for me City will be the most consistent and get 100 points +. Think we'll need 80 + for top 4. Haven't seen the game today, sounds like Morata getting his confidence back though.
  22. Oct 28, 2018

royce987 New Member

How many years has it been since Chelsea has had genuine depth in midfield?
  23. Oct 28, 2018

Prometheus Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I don't know. He missed some sitters.
  24. Oct 28, 2018

Lampard, Ballack, Makalele, Essien, Mikel, Joe Cole, Steve Sidwell. The was probably 10 years ago.
  25. Oct 28, 2018

Rajma Full Member

Must be good. We have Matic.
  26. Oct 28, 2018

Just heard the post-match interview. Barkley is the most scouse sounding person ever.
  27. Oct 28, 2018

antihenry CAF GRU Rep

Carragher is worse.
  28. Oct 28, 2018

Kentonio Full Member

He’d have had 2 if Hart hadn’t pulled off a really top class save.
  29. Oct 28, 2018

Nickholas New Member

If the foreign speaking managers can learn to speak English, surely Barkley could afford to have a private teacher for a couple of hours a week ?
  30. Oct 29, 2018

ZolaWasMagic New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Thats not the point i made. I am all for youth being involved, but winds me up people desperate for them to be in the squad without ever watching them play
  31. Nov 14, 2018

Bergman New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Out of the title 'race' already imo. You can't give a Pep team a 4 point lead. We'll be joining them soon. Would be shocked if we are in with a shout by the time we play City 3 Jan.
  32. Nov 14, 2018

Mb194dc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Don't think we were ever in it. Not with the Europa games and completely new system of play. Goals for the season top 4 and a trophy, ideally the Europa League but basically take anything. We've got a reasonable draw in the league cup even though Bournemouth are no pushovers, one of Spurs or Arsenal definitely going out, hopefully someone else will fluke City out, then we've got a good chance. That would be good as Sarri never won anything.

We're playing good football, didn't break the bank and getting good value in the market. I think if manage to keep Kovacic, and develop some of our youth players along with 1 or 2 high quality signings we might put in a title challenge in a year or two. City are so good though, if they improve and keep Pep it's always going to be difficult.

I definitely don't want us to be qualifying for the CL for the sake of it though, like Spurs etc seem too. We need the squad depth / quality to win it again or what's the point anyway? Can make nearly as much £ from the Europa and also get a trophy.
  33. Nov 14, 2018

We will go unbeaten in the league, get more points than Arsenal's "invincibles" did but will still finish a mile behind Man City
  34. Nov 14, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Not a chance Chelsea go unbeaten
  35. Nov 14, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

Lack of a striker doing them in. If someone like Auba was leading their line, you'd guarantee a free-scoring side with Sarri's style that would probably challenge City strongly.
  36. Nov 24, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Have a bit of an air of flat track bullies this season, can pass the ball for fun v bottom 8 but Spurs are demolishing them, they just about got a draw v Man. United and also thought they were fortunate to beat Arsenal second game. Yet to face Man. City aswell which gives things a bit of a distorted look.

Of course still early for Sarri but think a fair few were going OTT about their style in the first few weeks. Not got a world class striker and David Luiz in a back 4 is always an accident waiting to happen.

To Chelsea fans, would you rather attempt this style in a 3-5-2 or keep the 4-3-3?
  37. Nov 24, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    And Liverpool was?
  38. Nov 24, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Even game for me. Chelsea had more possession but then they were the home team. Shaqiri and Salah missed some good chances before the Sturridge wonder goal.
  39. Nov 24, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

I'll be honest I don't get the Jorginho love in either, no doubt he'd look amazing at City though
  40. Nov 24, 2018

ZolaWasMagic New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    We are one top striker away and CB from being a very strong side. We were always going to buy a striker in January IMO, and id like to see our side after Sarri gets a few windows to get players out and in.

Jorginho is very good. There is talk of us re-signing Ake using our buyback agreement which i would not be against, in place of Luiz. Luiz is a terrific footballer but is not a centre back. If we could get maybe Ake, Pulisic and someone like a Insigne from Napoli in Jan, id be very confident of top 4. Still am regardless.