Chris Hughton leaves Brighton

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by 48 hours, May 13, 2019.

1. May 13, 2019

Yagami Full Member

Shame. I've liked him since his toon days.

only time will tell. They might benefit like Southampton did when they replaced Adkins with Pochettino despite many of us thinking it was absurd at the time.
  2. May 13, 2019

Nickosaur Full Member

It's the right decision. Brighton were safe around xmas, should never have been in a relegation fight. Instead our form dropped off a cliff, and in the end we only stayed up because 3 teams were even worse than us. How many of you watched much of Brighton in 2019? :lol: I don't blame you, but the performances have been dogshite. I was at the amex in February and we could all tell something wasn't quite right.

Chris Hughton is a Brighton legend for getting the club promoted and stabilising the club in its first season in the PL. You can tell from Bloom's statement that it was a really tough call. But letting him go was absolutely the right decision.
  3. May 13, 2019

padzilla Hipster

Steven Gerrard is being linked with the Brighton race. Presumably Brighton are impressed with how he finished a distant second in a two horse race in Scotland.
  4. May 13, 2019

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    I do think Bas Dost has a quite similar ouput as Murray, but I also think that those kind of players are much better when used against teams that are not interested in applying high pressure.

But then again, those players are highly dependent on what their team mates can create for them. It's pretty much better rely on mobile forwards, but those kind of players are usually rich club targets and won't stay much more than a couple of seasons in the club.
  5. May 13, 2019

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    Rangers budget is significantly smaller than Celtic, though.
  6. May 13, 2019

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Not a mad decision. 10 in a row without winning and really should have been relegated as Carfiff had goals against them in 2-3 games in the final minutes that cost them points.
  7. May 13, 2019

UpWithRivers Full Member

Perfect job for Ole Solskjaer. He has managed Cardiff not done well but then moved to Molde and he has done alright. Think he is ready for the step up.......
  8. May 13, 2019

Brophs The one and only

But significantly bigger than the rest of the league, no?
  9. May 13, 2019

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    Indeed. They took a while to recover, but they are doing it step by step. It will be a matter of time until they win the title again.
  10. May 13, 2019

Robbie Boy Full Member

Reminds me of when Ipswich got rid of big Mick last year. That went well.
  11. May 13, 2019

promisedlanchiao New Member

Brighton having the cheek to sack him is literally the equivalent to city sacking pep now. Like just look at their squad, it’s absolutely terrible.

Hope they go down now, and maybe they won’t spawn a win against us at the amex next season for once without hughton.
  12. May 13, 2019

Brophs The one and only

Maybe. I love Chris, hope he's the Ireland manager at some point and he's seemingly, a thoroughly decent bloke, but I think Brighton are a club with a lot of potential upside, not to mention a pretty decent budget by the standards of most PL strugglers. I think the patterns of Newcastle and Norwich, though there are mitigating factors, can't be entirely ignored. Nor can the obvious downward curve the club has been on for a large part of the season. I suppose the question is, would they have been able to do more had they allowed him to recruit in his own way.
  13. May 13, 2019

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    :nono:
  14. May 13, 2019

Leroy The Red Full Member

Always a risk when you sign players in that way. Dutch league is not the place to pinch players, unless they play for Ajax. The likelihood is their great stats are a result of playing in a poor league.
  15. May 13, 2019

Skills Snitch

:lol: such a typical caf response. Outrage that a club sacks a manager who didn't manage to relegate his club
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  16. May 13, 2019

Skills Snitch

No, no, no. Every club is a managers pet project. Once you have the job, you should have it for life until you royally cock it up. That's the way football should work according the caf's managerial philosophy
  17. May 13, 2019

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

I have a feeling he’s gonna be next Celtic manager
  18. May 13, 2019

No Idea For Nickname Full Member

Oh bloody hell, I'm already depressed with our players and season, now this!! Where does it ends?
  19. May 13, 2019

Enigma_87 You know who

He has done a great job for them to get them to PL and stay there. However probably reached his ceiling and both need to move on.

Their form since new year has been shocking.
  20. May 13, 2019

Acole9 Outstanding

It does seem a bit strange, I imagine they've got a replacement already sorted.
  21. May 13, 2019

beergod Full Member

I wonder if they use their analysts for picking the new manager too. :lol:
  22. May 13, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Can’t agree, they will not get anyone to improve if the rumours about the transfer policy are true. The Moneyball theory doesn’t translate to football that well. It works in games where you have a sport of mostly set plays and clear periods of attack and defence. I’m football there are far to many variables to take into consideration. I would bet money on them getting destroyed next season.
  23. May 13, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Probably, it’s a very effective way of analysis in some sports but not football. I’m football so many games are desided in the transition phase where simple hard work and determination matter.
  24. May 13, 2019

InLevyITrust Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Can’t see them liking past LennonTBH.
  25. May 13, 2019

bond19821982 Full Member

Well, we did exactly the same with Jose. So this is happening everywhere.
  26. May 13, 2019

Mal donaghy Full Member

Its because hes Fatima Whitbread's older brother.
  27. May 13, 2019

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    On the one hand, he's done a decent job at Brighton. On the other, would he be able to keep them up next season. On a third hand, would anyone else?

Big Sam, they are calling yooooooooooou!
  28. May 13, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I can understand it.

Firstly Chris Hughton has done magnificent job at Brighton and overall is a good manager. However he does have his limitations.

The rot set in second half of the season and they got very lucky in the end Cardiff couldn't win at Fulham otherwise it would've gone to final day.

Now the dilemma for Tony Bloom is....due to his great service do you give him the benefit of the doubt for next season, spend another 50m and then you start with 1 win in 10 and have to sack him in October/November or do you do it now and at least give yourselves a good chance? I'm sure Brighton will get some good applicants for the job with their stadium.

It's similar to his time at Norwich. Had a solid first season and then they wasted ridiculous amounts on likes of Ricky Van Wolfswinkel. Even he got most of the season and only left in April 2014 when they were all but down.

Brighton were doing fine but ultimately their attacking signings haven't been good enough. Locadia and the Iranian guy cost 30m between them! Was also looking forward to watching Izquierdo this season but he's hardly played.

Edit: Can see Hughton ending up at West Brom, feels the right sort of role for him.
  29. May 13, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

They've scraped staying up - which is a good result, but they've done it with some dreary defending, and often not even having an outlet up front.

They can see what will happen next year, and hope someone can perform a miracle to take them to the next level.
  30. May 13, 2019

RedPed Full Member

They were probably expecting to be challenging for top 6 and getting to a cup final this season so decided to act now, ready for a title challenge next season.
  31. May 13, 2019

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

Dunno, think they would have announced him already. Too much bad publicity around him
  32. May 13, 2019

nore1975 Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Seems harsh. Got them promoted. Kept them in the PL two seasons running. I do concede that his run this year is poor. But would have thought he had enough credit in the bank to have another season. He can be proud of his work at Brighton.
  33. May 13, 2019

The Mitcher connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Yeha but what's him being mixed race got to do with anything?
  34. May 13, 2019

Nickosaur Full Member

Fair enough. I think the majority of Brighton fans agree with the decision bloom has made. It's still sad of course but Brighton have more chance of progressing as a club without hughton than with him. I'm more optimistic at a new appointment than if hughton had remained - there were rumours (so of course take with a pinch of salt) that he had begun to lose the dressing room. I began wondering that myself when I watched them earlier in the year. Fight was gone. It's the right decision and the right time for change.
  35. May 13, 2019

Nickosaur Full Member

Yeah it's a little frustrating. Brighton ended up deep in a relegation battle they should not have been in. Keeping hughton would have been more of the same next season. Theres a chance to follow Southampton's lead - bring in a younger, more progressive manager. Of course it's a risk, but the risk was higher to keep things the same and stick with hughton imo.

This will be brightons third season in the PL. I don't think the aim should simply be 'avoid relegation' again.
  36. May 13, 2019

Bojan11 Full Member

Brighton needed to move on.

This isn’t a Curbishley type sacking. Charlton under Curbishley never looked like getting relegated.

Just look at the Brighton first half performance vs Newcastle. That’s how they played for 5 months. They would have gone down if they kept Hughton on next season. He’s taken the club as far as he can.
  37. May 13, 2019

always_hoping New Member

Thats a ridiculous decision by Brighton. A Premier league club because of the great work by Chris Hughton and thats the thanks he gets?
  38. May 13, 2019

DavidDeSchmikes Full Member

3 wins in 23, no wins in their last 9 which only saw 3 goals scored, turgid football at times. £31m combined on Locadia and Jahanbaksh.
    Club record signing Jahanbakhsh didn't have a good season, and there weren't enough goals from the forwards (apart from Murray).

Regarding their transfer policy, this is taken from reddit
  39. May 13, 2019

Skills Snitch

I'm sure he wasn't working for free.
  40. May 13, 2019

neilv93 New Member

Think he'd be ideal for Boro if Pulis doesn't renew. Already has two Championship promotions under his belt.