Chris Parker - so called Manchester hero

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bojan11, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Jan 3, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...iled-as-manchester-bombing-hero-admits-thefts

Another case of people rushing out to help somebody when we had no backstory about this guy.
  2. Jan 3, 2018

MAME DIOUF 32 Full Member

The Guardian article was updated with further details later. He also took photos of the bodies and tried to sell them to the press.
  3. Jan 3, 2018

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

homeless person turns out to be scum. Shocked

But this really is lower than low
  4. Jan 3, 2018

esmufc07 Elvis has theft the building Scout

You've certainly castigated a whole group of people there. Well done.
  5. Jan 3, 2018

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    Don't agree with that at all.
  6. Jan 3, 2018

fair enough

So you would disagree if I thought that majority of homeless had a long history of anti social behaviour?
  7. Jan 3, 2018

Jericholyte2 Full Member

It's easy for us to be so morally superior when we have roofs over our heads and, whilst I'm disgusted by the actions, can you blame the guy in a situation he's in for trying to get some money?

I'm not condoning it in the slightest but I can certainly understand why he did it.

Perhaps we should spend more time helping these people off the streets so they don't have to stoop to such actions.
  8. Jan 3, 2018

Tom Van Persie No relation

You do know a lot of homeless people have serious mental health problems, right? That doesn't make them 'scum' Stupid thing to say tbh.
  9. Jan 3, 2018

yes, I can. There is no excuse for this individual
  10. Jan 3, 2018

ivaldo Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I know, right? Bloody men.
  11. Jan 3, 2018

Cascarino Full Member

Supports:
    Swansea
    It depends how you define anti social behaviour, someone sleeping in certain city centers is guilty of anti social behaviour, depending on the law.

What I will say is that I've done a lot of work with the homeless for various charities and as a full time position, so I feel confident in saying that I've probably known more homeless than the vast majority of people. What I've learned during my time in these roles is that many homeless people have mental health problems, addiction problems, or have had incredibly tough lives and need help. As a group, they come in all sorts, I've met kind and honourable homeless, I've met those who were liars and cheats, and I've met many who were scared and alone. Basically they're just men and women who live in terrible conditions, and like 'normal people' you get the good and the bad.

So I don't know if I disagree with your assessment that the majority of homeless have had a long history of anti social behaviour, but I can say confidently that some of the best and kindest people I've known have spent time on the streets, some of them still out there.
  12. Jan 3, 2018

Jericholyte2 Full Member

So hypothetically speaking, no home, no food for god knows how long, not even shelter, and you would be 100% sure not to take an opportunity to get money? Like I said, it's very easy to say, "Oh well I would NEVER...." when you've never had to face it.
  13. Jan 3, 2018

hobbers Full Member

No such thing as a modern day saint.

Or any saint, for that matter.
  14. Jan 3, 2018

Nuts Full Member

Sad story. Can only feel sorry for someone reduced to that behaviour.
  15. Jan 3, 2018

Redlambs Creator of the Caftards comics

Officially the best poker player on RAWK. Your cas
    You really don't help yourself sometimes.
  16. Jan 3, 2018

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

You're an incredibly vile person, sometimes.
  17. Jan 3, 2018

the unknown one. Full Member

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
    Oh dear. :nono:
  18. Jan 3, 2018

Xcited Full Member

When my grandmother originally moved to the UK she was homeless for a couple of years.

She was probably the greatest person I've ever met, I was very young when she died, so my recollection of her may be distorted as it's from the eyes of others.

However when she eventually met my grandfather and found a home, they opened up their home to hundreds of homeless people out of the kindness of her heart spanning over several decades.

She believed, what most others believe. The homeless are not homeless by choice. They are still people, some good, some bad.

The majority of homeless people are vulnerable people with drug addictions and mental health issues, others just people suffering from cash-flow issues.

One man she invited into her home in the late 70s rewarded her by finding her 15 years later and presenting her with a cheque of the value of £2000, a considerable sum in the 80s.

I myself work in taxation and welfare, I work very closely with our housing department and homeless persons unit.

You would honestly be surprised at the sheer number of homeless people, we must be looking at tens if not hundreds of thousands in London alone. Some homeless people are just down on their luck... Not this one though... he' a cnut. And in my eyes even if he was wealthy he would still be a cnut.
  19. Jan 3, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Homeless != on the streets. There's probably a few million technically homeless in the UK. I was homeless for a couple of months from August to October but wasn't on the streets, not taken drugs or stolen from people so cheers, Randall for tarring everyone with the same brush.
  20. Jan 3, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

People were dying or injured and he was just going through their belongings. That’s a scummy move homeless or not. If he helped them like he originally said he did then he would have been awarded.

How would you like it if one of your relatives collapsed on the street and a homeless person decided to search their belongings rather than help.
  21. Jan 3, 2018

Ramshock The spacegoats did it

Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
    Wtf?
  22. Jan 3, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

I wouldn’t say majority.

But there is a small portion who enjoy breaking into empty business premises and squatting. They seem to know the law and their rights, so I wouldn’t use the mental health excuse for them. It costs the landlord a fortune to kick them out. Those sort of people as harsh as it sounds can get fecked. It cost someone i know a lot of money to evict these cnuts. They left the property in a right state and graffiti all over the walls. So that’s another huge amount of money he has to spent to repair.

There’s lots who don’t resort to that behaviour or what this cnut did.
  23. Jan 3, 2018

I know someone with a similar story to that.

With this chap though I Just Can’t get my head around how even after being hailed the hero he still went and tried to sell photos of the victims.
  24. Jan 3, 2018

Jericholyte2 Full Member

I would think it was horrendous, as I said that I would never condone it, but I get the fact that desperate people do desperate things to get by. This isn't a case of the guy cashing in to buy a holiday home, he was doing was he did so that he could eat.
  25. Jan 3, 2018

buckooo1978 Full Member

not to justify what the guy did as it was scummy but when you have no roof over your head, are sleeping in cardboard on cold rainy nights, don't know if you will eat the next day etc it can blur any moral compass

desperation from the guy perhaps but awful all the same
  26. Jan 3, 2018

redman5 Full Member

In a world of my own. People know me here.
    I'm an atheist, but this situation got me to thinking that if there was a god, & he wanted to test someone's moral foundation, then this would have been a scenario to do so. A man down on his luck & with very few prospects of getting himself up off the floor. Then suddenly he's thrust into the middle of a terrible incident where people significantly more privileged than him needed his help. He had 2 options. One was to help the wounded, with the prospect that eventually he may be forgotten & his miserable existence would still continue. The other option - the one he took - was to take advantage of the situation so that his miserable existence would, in some small way, become more bearable, for a couple of days at least. He obviously wasn't to know at the time how the consequences of his actions would have such a polarized effect on his life in the future. Initially a hero, with £50,000 raised for him to help set him up on a path that most of us take for granted. Sadly he's now an even bigger outcast than he was when he gazed at the gutter watching his life's potential drain away with the cold, Manchester, rain.

God obviously doesn't help those who help themselves. & karma is a vicious bitch.
  27. Jan 3, 2018

Penna Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak) Staff

Homeless people are just people with nowhere to call their home. Being homeless doesn't lessen your humanity in any way. There but for the grace of God go many of us.
  28. Jan 3, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

That guy is a wanker. But yeah people we're setting up fund pages to buy him a house from what I can remember.
  29. Jan 3, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

I feel for the homeless 100% but taking photos of the dead to sell to the papers is unforgivable.
  30. Jan 3, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Ironically, he will not be homeless for much longer.
  31. Jan 3, 2018

buchansleftleg Full Member

That guy behaved appallingly but there are going to be many more revelations to come out about this event over the coming months.

This will not prove to be the most shocking one.
  32. Jan 3, 2018

hobbers Full Member

How exactly was he taking photos of the dead by the way? Please dont tell me he was one of these homeless with an iphone types

Also I dont give a damn about his circumstances, he's a total piece of shit for a) stealing from people who were lieing there seriously injured or dead and b) trying to sell photos even after being hailed a hero. The positive public response to what they thought he was doing didn't even slightly reform him. He is vile.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  33. Jan 3, 2018

Sparky_Hughes Donkey Buggering Tyrant who cheats at Monopoly

Your grandmother sounds like an amazing person mate
  34. Jan 3, 2018

Xcited Full Member

A better person than me, I'd never be able to do anything of the sort :nervous::lol:
  35. Jan 4, 2018

Steven Seagull Full Member

You’d need a real lack of empathy towards his victims to defend this arsehole
  36. Jan 4, 2018

Zarlak my face causes global warming

Truth like rain don't give a fuck who it falls on.
    Actually it's the complete opposite, people are "defending" him because of empathy. Plus they're not even defending him, just saying they can at least understand the temptation for someone who has that kind of shitty life to do whatever they can to improve their situation before they die one night in the cold, starving because they've got nowhere to go after that situation has taken a toll on them over the years. You'd need a real lack of empathy not to be able to grasp that. Empathy doesn't have to only side with one person.
  37. Jan 4, 2018

Green_Red Full Member

If you treat a man like an unimportant piece of thrash dont be surprised when acts like it.
  38. Jan 4, 2018

redman5 Full Member

In a world of my own. People know me here.
    How far would their empathy stretch if a homeless person stole their wallet/purse & money ? How forgiving would they be if they stole it whilst they were lying critically injured in the street ?

Empathy for someone being homeless is one thing. Using it to justify criminal activity is misguided & morally wrong.
  39. Jan 4, 2018

Redlambs Creator of the Caftards comics

Officially the best poker player on RAWK. Your cas
    Do we know this is the case here though? Do we know he is a victim of anything other than his own doing?

In any case we are talking about robbing from seriously injured people. Definitely have empathy with the homeless, I myself have donated for 20-odd years now on a monthly basis to shelter, and Randall's post was a disgrace...but to do what this man has done? You can have empathy for his situation in the first place, but what he did was pure scum and cowardliness and we should always be surprised when humans act like this to one another. Just accepting it is why we still wallow in it.
  40. Jan 4, 2018

Ady87 Full Member

What an absolutely terrible post.