1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Chris Smalling image England flag

Chris Smalling 2017-18 Performances

Jump to: Chelsea 1:0 Man Utd

View full 2017-18 profile

6.0 Average rating
45 Appearances
4 Goals
20 Clean sheets
4 Yellow cards
  1. Jul 10, 2017

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

[​IMG]

Christopher Lloyd Smalling
    Nov 22, 1989 (27)
    England [​IMG]
    1,94 m

[​IMG]

2. Jul 10, 2017

ThanksBoss26 Full Member

Don't think he'll still be with the club come the end of the window.
  3. Jul 10, 2017

klayton88 Full Member

He has to know he has little chance of game time behind Bailly, Lindolf & Rojo.
  4. Jul 10, 2017

MadMike Full Member

He might be shite at playing the ball out of the defence, but I like him as a defender. Still consider him less error prone and calmer than Bailly or Rojo.

I'd keep him ahead of Jones personally, I think Smalling's both better and more fit. But we'll see how this plays out. Realistically, one of the two will have to move on.
  5. Jul 10, 2017

SouthPredators4 Full Member

You cannot be serious.
  6. Jul 10, 2017

Robbie Boy Full Member

Could well be gone for the start of the season and I would be happy enough with that.
  7. Jul 10, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    It's just ridiculous
  8. Jul 10, 2017

sincher "I will cry if Rooney leaves"

I prefer him to Jones too. He is not as good a footballer but he can be a beast in the air and his head is in proportion with the rest of his body, meaning he is available for more games.
  9. Jul 10, 2017

flappyjay Full Member

Everyone is writing him off, this place is gonna have a meltdown when the season starts and he is a regular starter and probably vice-captain
  10. Jul 10, 2017

Robbie Boy Full Member

Regular starter? Absolutely no chance.
  11. Jul 10, 2017

Crackers Coolest Cracker in the box

Supports:
    JusticeForBan
    Herrera has already been given vice-captain, but I see your point. I think he'll be a competent backup if he can remain injury free. Rojo and Bailly are higher in the pecking order, and I imagine Lindelof will be too.
  12. Jul 10, 2017

I am not sure about regular starter but I do think the place alongside Bailly is basically up for grabs. I don't think Lindelof will start in the team unless he has an amazing pre-season. Would not be hugely surprised if it was any of the others. Nor that surprised if we sold Smalling.
  13. Jul 10, 2017

Craig Ward Full Member

Doubt Jose would have tracked Lindelof for so long and paid a huge fee if he wasn't coming into be a starter.

I think Smalling may stay as back up, until Rojo is fit at least.

Bailly and Lindelof are out 1st choice CB's, barring injury or a very poor run in form
  14. Jul 10, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

That picture in the OP :lol:

I've often been a staunch defender of him, but started to lose patience with him as the season went on. He was solid in the final though, to his credit. Despite a poor season, his good games for United far outweigh the bad ones, IMO.

However, I'd still rather we binned Jones over him. Smalling has his niggles, but is generally more reliable and has been more reliable over longer periods. I think a centre back department of Bailly, Rojo, Lindelof and Smalling (with the infill option of Blind and Carrick in dire emergencies) is decent. As maligned as Smalling often is, there's not a team in the league who has a 4th choice centre back as good as him. Some clubs don't even have a 4th choice centre back!

Keep him another year. I think both CB positions are up for grabs, though Bailly and Rojo have a head start by having better seasons in 16/17 (though I assume Rojo is out til December-ish?). Let Smalling fight for it if he wants to. If he wants to leave for first team football in a World Cup year, then we shouldn't stand in his way, but we'd need to replace him, due to Rojo's absence, Lindelof's inexperience in this league and Jones being Jones.
  15. Jul 10, 2017

I am sure Lindelof will be considered a first teamer in the fullness of time, but not so sure about the first game and especially given Rojo has just come off the back of a very good season, though might depend on his fitness, and pre-season in general. Bailly and Lindelof would be an exceptionally young first team pairing (not that that is a bad thing).
  16. Jul 10, 2017

LawCharltonBest Obsessive dog poo sniffer & anal about tweets

Hasn't Wenger always had a thing for him? Seems an Arsenal type player to me. Their English players must be getting low too
  17. Jul 10, 2017

If he did move, he would likely make a great signing for another club...
  18. Jul 10, 2017

ADJUDICATOR FULL MEMBER

Supports:
    THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
    Big season for Smalling and Martial.
  19. Jul 10, 2017

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

You dont pay 30m for a defender who's not gonna play.

If there's something we knew about jose is that he knew a good defender when he sees one : baily last year didn't have adaptation season crap and slot right into the team since day 1.
  20. Jul 10, 2017

Bruno8 Full Member

Just one of the many English lads at the Club who are facing uncertain future. Next season will be even worse for the British lads because I cant see Mourinho buying and English player anytime soon.

Rojo was on the verge of being sold last summer and did well to stake his claim for a spot in first XI. Hopefully Smalling will do the same
  21. Jul 10, 2017

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

I think they have more than us in their established first team.

Welbeck, Gibbs, Walcott, Ox, Chambers, Holding, Wilshere is back with them and Ramsey counts too.

We've got Jones, Smalling, Lingard, Rashford, Young, Carrick, Shaw, and then the young players who haven't really broken through, closest being Tuanzebe. It's probably Carrick's last season. Might be Young's too.

Not sure it really matters though. City have fielded matchday squads with zero English players on more than one occasion. I don't even know what the rules are on that anymore.
  22. Jul 10, 2017

ThanksBoss26 Full Member

Wenger has tried to sign him a couple of times I think. Definitely when we got him and he enquired a couple of seasons back, according to rumour anyway.
  23. Jul 10, 2017

Z_Wolf Banned

It's absolutely scandalous him and Fellaini are at still at the club especially after spending so much. We need to rid ourselves of these non-footballers but instead we add more of them.
  24. Jul 10, 2017

Nori- Full Member

I dont understand why people want Smalling out but are happy for Phil Jones to stay. In Van Gaals last season, Smalling was immense next to Blind. I think he was even in contention for our player of the year. So we know he is more than capable.

Phil Jones on the other hand, never fills me with confidence when strikers are running at him, is always injured and doesn't look like improving anytime soon. I's sell Jones and keep Smalling
  25. Jul 10, 2017

Robertd0803 Full Member

Poor Mike is the only one whose picture in the original post has him looking like an utter buffoon. Any other player I checked has either a stock photo or a PR photo. Even Jones has a picture of him heading the ball ffs (and not the Arsenal clearance either).

Anyway I can imagine he will be gone soon. Id rather him than Jones though that's not saying much. The problem is I believe Jose doesn't trust him after the Chelsea debacle and the aftermath and despite having little to no option to pick him for the Europa League wont have swayed his mindset.
  26. Jul 11, 2017

Oldyella Full Member

Unless someone comes in with a decent sized offer, I can see us keeping hold of them both till the winter transfer window, at which point we will try and move a CB along, my preference being Jones but it will basically be a shoot out between now and then about who does well enough to stay. We are just overstacked there now despite our regular injury crisis.

Rojo will be close to returning then if not already back, we will have ensured Lindelof has settled in and got used to the pace of play in the PL (hopefully) and that Bailly hasnt caught 2ndseasonitis.
  27. Jul 16, 2017

The Mitcher connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Solid today.
  28. Jul 21, 2017

Sammyjunn Banned

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    Didnt watch the full match, fell asleep. But watched the match for as far as the Roberts chance and Lindelof incident. He did hold Roberts but way too light for a penalty and then made an excellent challenge. He's been defending properly again it seems.
  29. Jul 21, 2017

podurban2 Full Member

Enlighten me, who have we added?
  30. Jul 21, 2017

Havak Pokemon master

He's better and more reliable than Phil Jones. I think both will be here until at least January, however. No guarantee Rojo will get back to the level of last season and he probably won't even bit fully fit until the busy Christmas period anyway. No point in leaving ourselves short.
  31. Jul 21, 2017

Robbie Boy Full Member

Kind of want rid at this stage. I just don't rate him at all.
  32. Jul 21, 2017

Halftrack Full Member

Z_Wolf considers Lukaku a donkey, basically.

He seems a gem of a fan, really.
  33. Jul 21, 2017

MadMike Full Member

We keep a clean sheet and nullify City's attack, Mike has a good game, but people in here still just parrot the "I want him gone" line. :rolleyes:

At the moment he's ahead of Jones and Lindelof while Rojo is still out injured for quite a while. Add to that the fact he is the tallest and best header of the ball out of our CBs, as well as the best man marker.

I expect him to be on the pitch against WHU in our EPL curtain raiser. He's going nowhere.
  34. Jul 21, 2017

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    If Rojo can't play until the new year's, I'd keep him. He fits well with every other CB we have and you can't count Jones in until he plays a full season.
  35. Jul 21, 2017

Leftback99 Full Member

This. I don't know why there's such a desperation to see him sold given our alternatives.
  36. Jul 21, 2017

M Bison Full Member

Supports:
    York City
    Makes me laugh the bipolar opinion on him. He was deemed a world class centre back, the best in the league by many not so long ago and now he is written off and seen as not good enough.

He's a good option to have in my opinion, certainly good enough to play a part in our squad and i expect him to get plenty of game time.
  37. Jul 21, 2017

vi1lain caf sexpert

Precisely this. Smalling has been our best defender in the first three games so far imo, with Bailly not too far behind.

But some people just don't rate Smalling because he's clumsy and awkward looking, that's their problem. Jose seems to rate him, and his opinion is the only one that matters quite frankly.
  38. Jul 21, 2017

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    That one brainfart aside, I thought he had a decent game. The double block in the first half was a terrific piece of defending.
  39. Jul 21, 2017

Trigg aka Trippin_Stoned

I like Smalling but I cringe every time the ball is at his feet. Always feels like a disaster waiting to happen unfortunately.
  40. Jul 21, 2017

CG1010 Full Member

I wouldn't want him sold either. It would be good to have atleast one season where we have sufficient cover for our annual CB injury fest. But I would put Jones (when fit) above him. Jones and Rojo formed the best CB partnership for us last season and if he wasn't as injury prone, he deserved to be in first XI IMO.
    (yes, I am a big Jones fan)