Chris Smalling | 2018/19 Performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances Forum' started by MyOnlySolskjaer, Jul 13, 2018 at 20:49.

1. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:49

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

[​IMG]

Full Name:

Christopher Lloyd Smalling
    Date of Birth:
    Nov 22, 1989 (28)
    Nationality:
    England [​IMG]
    Height:
    1,94 m
    Foot:
    Right

[​IMG]
  2. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:52

JB08 Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

I hope he's only here as a backup. Not good enough on the ball, for me personally, to start every game.
  3. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:53

MadMike Full Member

It started already! He hasn't even touched a ball yet :lol:
  4. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:54

MyOnlySolskjaer Creator of Player Performance threads

Our best defender, feck off all haters.
  5. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:55

JB08 Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

I mean... I haven't seen anything over the summer to change my mind :lol:

I have absolutely nothing against him at all. I just think we can find better suited centre backs than him.
  6. Jul 13, 2018 at 20:55

Hephaestus Full Member

Only surprise was it was the second post in the thread :lol:
  7. Jul 14, 2018 at 01:19

Bwuk Full Member

I would of thought the World Cup this summer would of shown people how valuable it is to have a CB who can pass the ball.

None of the teams in the semis have a poor on the ball starting CB.

If Smalling continues to be a starter next season we’ll see much of the same struggle to get the ball played in between midfield lines.

He should be back up at a club like ours.
  8. Jul 14, 2018 at 01:22

ti vu Full Member

The semi also showed the teams that can defend when being pushed back, got to the final.

Smalling has flaw but until we can find the solution, we just don't fix what's not broken.
  9. Jul 14, 2018 at 01:25

Bwuk Full Member

Croatia had Lovren and Vida who were quick to get the ball forward and recycle possession when Croatia were on top and helped maintain the tempo and pressure.

Maguire, Stones and Walker are all very good on the ball, Stones and Maguire were outstanding in the tournament.

Varane, Umtiti, Alderweireld, Kompany and Vertonghen are so far ahead of Smalling it’s not even funny.

Smalling would of been perfect in the late 80s, early 90s as a defender.
  10. Jul 14, 2018 at 01:40

ti vu Full Member

What about when England had to defend? They couldn't protect their lead with the defenders itself made mistake. And the passing game didn't exist. Croatia didn't fare better with their passing game when being put under pressure. It's the whole team and especially the midfielders that help control the game and brought other into game.

Varane is hand down being the best CB in the tournament doesn't mean France has been always playing well when it comes to possession. They was erratic vs Australia and needed individual creative spark to win it. Peru got back in second half of their second group stage game. It's the ability to defend that see them through than they could shut Peru down with possession. Denmark game was real bore. Argentine had upper hand when it comes to possession. Only Uruquay game is one they could boast about keeping thing ticking about their possession. Belgium is the team with more possession in the semi final. Guess what France defending well is what matters. The only goal came from a corner when Toby didn't mark Umtiti tightly and Fellaini couldn't spot the danger quicker. Belgium didn't create much. Belgium had same problem vs Panama in first half and Japan. For all their possession, it's not necessarily useful. Their easier game comes when the other side doesn't take defending serious.

Moral of the story: Unless you can beat the other team in possession game, then at least having a plan B. One half of football and beating supposed weaker opponents doesn't make a strong team. Improve on what we have instead of exchanging for a different problem
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 01:52
  11. Jul 14, 2018 at 05:54

Isotope Full Member

Here's to another good season for Smalling the lovable beast.