City's Controversial Etihad Deal

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Coxy, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Sep 11, 2018

Coxy Full Member

Found this really interesting - and dodgy:

2. Sep 11, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

Can someone do a tldw version please?
  3. Sep 11, 2018

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

It's a well made video, but it does basically tell us what we all already know and is fairly well documented.

Also, it could possibly have gone into the ethical practices of the Abu Dhabi folk too...
  4. Sep 11, 2018

In order to dodge FFP rules, City's owners got Etihad to sponsor their kit and stadium for £400m which is roughly about £399m more then it was worth at the time.
  5. Sep 11, 2018

Cassidy No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

There is one about the Qatar world cup and also another on the City football group that are very interesting, available on the same youtube channel
  6. Sep 11, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

I, for one, am shocked.
  7. Sep 11, 2018

11101 Full Member

City fans will be along shortly to explain how the Abu Dhabi government owned national airline is in no way connected to the Abu Dhabi government owned football club in Manchester, and 400 million was actually a fair price to print their logo on the front of the 12 shirts they sold each year.
  8. Sep 11, 2018

JohnnyKills Full Member

Supports:
    United
    Yeah this is common knowledge I think.

The Sheikh is basically sponsoring himself, pushing his cronies to plough money into the club in grossly inflated commercial deals.

Look at the list of commercial partners on City's website and most are Emirati companies. It's not illegal - just the inevitable consequence of allowing states to own football clubs.
  9. Sep 11, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    Video shows FFP was nothing to do with saving clubs but the big clubs crying over Cities spending, they should have called it what it is, not FFP, But "UEFAs let's keep historically big clubs at the top and feck everyone else"

That said anyone who spells similar simmilar might not be a great journalist, though his facts seem pretty much common knowledge.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  10. Sep 11, 2018

MBSADSED Banned

Supports:
    Manchester City

Im not sure any City fan actually cares to be honest, it just serves as a few more straws for the green eyed monsters to grasp at.
  11. Sep 11, 2018

Fingeredmouse Full Member

Yes, it's a real meritocracy now that state backed reputation laundering exercises are in full flow. Power to the people.
  12. Sep 11, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

This is ancient history and has already been swept under the carpet.
  13. Sep 11, 2018

Coxy Full Member

I'm not surprised the historically big clubs cried foul - they got to where they did through sustained success - not instant success via spending huge money overnight.

Also just because they spelt something wrong does not discredit them - we all make mistakes.
  14. Sep 11, 2018

Mibabalou Full Member

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
    Video is fine but misses the real trick bye not explaining where the 400 mill came from to begin with. That’s the real kicker!
  15. Sep 11, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

Ahhhh, nothing new then really, I was actually talking to someone about this yesterday funnily enough. Cheers bro.
  16. Sep 11, 2018

Schmiznurf Full Member

Goodbye :D
  17. Sep 11, 2018

stevoc Full Member

More like ''UEFA's lets keep rich Arab states who buy football clubs in check and prevent them from pumping too much money into clubs and inflating transfer and wage markets beyond sustainable levels and making a mockery of European football. Turning it into nothing more than a Gulf state pissing contest.''

They still let Man City and PSG pump money into their clubs through fake sponsorships to levels that allow them to spend as much or more than any other club in europe. What more do you want?
  18. Sep 11, 2018

SadlerMUFC Full Member

I had absolutely no problem with City's owners dumping millions into the club. As a business owner, it isn't unusual to dump your own capital into your new business if you want it to grow. However, there comes a point where any normal business would either have to start pulling it's own weight, or the owner would shut it down. I believe City is now at that point where they are self-sufficient so all this investment has paid off and I personally welcome the competition. And this video is right, the derby used to mean a lot more to City supporters than it did to United supporters. I never used to really care about the City match, however City fans used to weigh the success of their season on staying in the top flight, and hopefully getting a result over United. Now it's a match that I look forward to every year...
  19. Sep 11, 2018

macheda14 Full Member

Or also to stop what happened to Malaga from happening. Which obviously didn't work out too well.
  20. Sep 11, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

:lol:
  21. Sep 11, 2018

The City Football Group one is a bit like this one - good and well made - but sort of telling you what you already know (just in a lot more detail). Actually thats probably a bit unfair, it's definitely giving you more new info then this one.

The Qatar one though is great, i'd urge anyone to watch it (video below for those interested)

22. Sep 11, 2018

dannyrhinos89 OMG socks and sandals lol!

Say it ain’t so.

They’re dodgy as feck we all knew that but if they were doing it at united would we care?...Nah.
  23. Sep 11, 2018

acnumber9 Full Member

If that was their intention they did a piss poor job of it didn’t they? They haven’t properly enforced their own rules.
  24. Sep 11, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Well this is truly shocking. City fans are great value though one has to admire how staunchly they will defend so rigorously things they a) never knew or cared about or b) i suspect would be viewed differently if it wasnt them getting a nice silver cup from their dubai friends every now and then.

In terms of uefas conspiracy to keep the top teams at the top i assume that explains the descent of juventus to serie b, ajax as a credible force, the decline in general of italian football.

Nope, football has always had spells and cycles and right now certain leagues reap the rewards of money which is tough on clubs from.football fanatic countries like portugal, turkey, greece, scotland, holland and many more. What it allows on the other hand is a club like tottenham to emerge and challenge and beat real madrid, borussia dortmund to have some good runs, atletivo to almost usurp barca and madrid. What isnt good is already financially benefiting clubs getting pumped in the arm by dirty money and telling us its all good. I bet ajax cant wait for the time they get to challenge the mighty man city. Lose the victim complex, clubs like porto showed that things arent impossible and i bet they wouldnt swap that phenomenal run for 20 years of financial doping
  25. Sep 11, 2018

VanGaalEra Full Member

26. Sep 11, 2018

11101 Full Member

It's a good video but it tries to paint Qatar as the innocent victims of a smear campaign by their neighbours and barely mentions the lies and corruption Qatar was right in the middle of when it was awarded.
  27. Sep 11, 2018

ash_86 Full Member

He gets it.
  28. Sep 11, 2018

AshamanKingpin New Member

Supports:
    Manchester City
    It's you guys that don't get it. Maybe City doesn't have history today, but the world doesn't end today. In 20, 30 years, continue this style of play, competing for trophies, Champions League, and City will build their own history. People naturally gravitate towards winners and the next generation will be up for grabs. Especially as European football is really penetrating the rest of the world. If City continue at this rate, they will have fans all over the world. Dunno why people keep living in the past. City will make their own past while others who continue to dwell on their past will end up like Leeds. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO BREAK INTO THE EUROPEAN ELITE WITHOUT MASSIVE INVESTMENT.
  29. Sep 11, 2018

It definitely doesn't do that - it says a few times that Qatar has horrible human rights stuff going on.

The actual corruption surrounding of the award itself needs a whole separate video.
  30. Sep 11, 2018

Treble Full Member

My thoughts too. Fresh money and more competition might be good within certain limits but what they do is well beyond the reasonable.
  31. Sep 11, 2018

ash_86 Full Member

The thread is about City's shady deals quoting false numbers to avoid FFP and not how they are taking over the world. The problem with Clubs like City and PSG pumping billions into the club is that that the trophies will feel hollow. There is no story attached to how the club slowly moved in the positive direction to become a super power. There is no difference between someone who just won a lottery and became rich and city finding a rich Saudi owner. Sorry but the emotional connect is just not there. Yes, you cannot become an Elite club instantly but Clubs like Tottenham and Atletico Madrid are doing it the right way. One step at a time ,measuring their success and progressing well.
  32. Sep 11, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    Glad you agree.
  33. Sep 11, 2018

donkeyfish Full Member

But it's okay since they have a saint manager.
  34. Sep 11, 2018

vangagal Full Member

Why its so hard to you to accept that that Manchester City only became relevant because mercy of Sheikh form Qatar without arab money City today would likely end up in League Two or Vanarama National League North. You was a yo-yo team before arab money came. Even Chelsea is a establish mid table club before Roman came.
  35. Sep 11, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    They are a calamity, they were bullied into FFP to stop the rise of clubs like City and Psg regardless of what people think of those clubs.
    They then said FFP was to stop clubs going out of business etc.. instead of honestly saying the big clubs didn't want anyone encroaching their territory.
    They got their slice of the cash from City and PSG.
    Said super rich City and PSG then bullied them into relaxing said rules.

Uefa are a joke and everything they do bites them in the arse.
    Fwiw, I think FFP should be abolished not for the good of City but because a lot of the clubs who were all for it have completely screwed themselves.
    With FFP Milan for example have no chance of ever becoming what they once were, they fecked themselves straight in the arse. How is it possible, they are now a club where premier league rejects and kids go to make a name for themselves.

The problem is City and PSG (regardless of what people think of them) are already through the gate.
    UEFA and the G14 or whatever they are called have just closed the gates too late for FFPs original purpose and all it serves to do now is turn leagues in one horse races, Spain is a 2.5 horse race, Germany 1 horse, France 1 horse, England for all the talk about its competitiveness has only been won by two money clubs and United (so 3 money clubs), Leicesters shock aside since Wengers invincibles. It's not competitive, its the same 3 teams since 2008. FFP kills anyone else getting in on it.

It's too late to stop City and PSG joining the top clubs, but it guarantees there will be no more.
    Without a sugar daddy their is zero chance of Forest, Villa, Everton, Leeds etc... becoming huge forces in English football again, all historically more successful than City or Chelsea and dare I say before the formation of the PL on a par with United. For them FFP means its done, their day is done. There are no cycles, no fixing it, no level playing field and never will be.
  36. Sep 11, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    Because you are full of shite mostly. First of all he's not from Qatar. Secondly City were in the premier league when he took over. Probably would still be a yo-yo club but most certainly wouldn't be in League Two. You should at least have a clue what you're on about.
  37. Sep 11, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    But the very video in this thread most people are loving said it was precisely to put it in Caf terms the big clubs trying to stop the rise of the oil clubs.
  38. Sep 11, 2018

If you really can’t see the inherent problems with nation states bank rolling football clubs to launder their international reputations and think that any argument around breaking football hegenomies justifies this, I can only conclude that you are blinded by your club loyalties. This issue goes far beyond simple investment in clubs and breaking into elite groups (an issue that has always existed in football). There’s a real problem with morally dubious states injecting cash into football teams to cleanse their image and it is not an issue rendered neutral by any argument regarding traditionally dominant teams.
  39. Sep 11, 2018

Glad you’re comfortable being a political plaything of a repressive state.
  40. Sep 11, 2018

I fecking would.