Cleverly & Anderson

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Ramshock, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012

Ramshock poster of nonsense

Cleverley & Anderson

How important is it that these two stay fit next year and become our central midfield or are they too unreliable already to build an attack around? There is no doubt they seemed to have a rapport and understanding earlier in the season with some memorable interchange play but the nagging doubt about their endurance will always be there.
  2. May 7, 2012

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

They won't be our "central midfield" for 2 or 3 seasons yet. Carrick has a big role to play yet. I think we'll still see Cleverley getting a few games wide before he makes the Centre his own.

I pray to god they can both get fit though.
  3. May 7, 2012

BD94 A boob

Its important that they both stay fit, obviously, but I don't see them as being the starting CM pairing. They don't provide enough defensive cover to play in a 2-man midfield. One of them will play with Carrick (or a different) DM if we buy one most of the time. However, its vitally important that they stay fit for as much of the season as possible, to avoid having to play Rafael, Park or the likes in CM.
  4. May 7, 2012

ha_rooney Full Member

We played some great attacking football with these two in midfield at the start of the season but our defence was left exposed on many occasions in the early games when Carrick did not play. I think these two would work well enough in a 4-3-3 but perhaps in 442 formation you need someone like Carrick or Fletcher who will be able to do the defensive job better than Ando or Cleverley.
  5. May 7, 2012

I beg to differ, after that early season form together they would have kept Carrick out if they stayed fit imo. They were almost telepathic in their passing at times.
  6. May 7, 2012

I agree but as both mature as players they would tighten down that midfield better but yeah probably would work better in a 3 or 5 midfield at the minute.
  7. May 7, 2012

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

They will never be our midfield two on a regular basis, it's too offensive and wouldn't work long term.
  8. May 7, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

I have honestly lost faith in Anderson. He has been given plenty of time to develop along with opportunities to shine yet he constantly fails to deliver.

Decent enough squad player but not what we hoped for when we bought him. Don't see that changing either.

It also seems silly to pen all our hopes next season on Cleverley being fit as he looks tidy but nothing more at the moment in my opinion.
  9. May 7, 2012

Maciek Arrogant prick who is best ignored

Not yet. We're shit in defence with only them in central midfield.

But 4-3-3 in Europe (especially away from Old Trafford) with Carrick and them sounds good. Or at least we should try. That's how we should play more often next season.

By the way, I thought Anderson was already finished?
  10. May 7, 2012

Leroy The Red Full Member

Cleverly isn't proven yet but we should definitely look towards giving him as many games as possible next season.
    Anderson is a lost cause, literally, what do we do with him? He's not that good, he's been here for 5 years, each year is the same thing, 3 good games, 12 mediocre games, injured for 4 months. But why sell him now? But then he's taking up space, it really is a puzzler.
    But I'd much rather we focus next season on Carrick/Cleverley and "new signing".
  11. May 7, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I don't see them ever becoming our main midfield partnership if I'm being honest. They were good at the start of the season admittedly, but they didn't do enough to shield the defence at times and were too gung-ho. That's not to say that they didn't play well, because they did, but we were lucky that the rest of our forward players were playing so well, controlling games and scoring so much that we didn't have to worry about our defence too much. I think their midfield partnership would have been exposed very quickly if they had been paired when the rest of our frontline was not fit and firing.

Cleverley is the more natural forward thinking player. Anderson isn't good when it comes to workrate, so even though he can sit a lot deeper than Cleverley I don't think he can really do a good job of tracking back or shielding the defence. I don't see him making it here. If a players only relying on his ability on the ball for a top club, then he has to be truly world class on it. Anderson isn't. He can improve, but I just can't see him reaching the level we want him to.

Cleverley will hopefully be a long term player for us though. The key will be though whether his injury problems this season were just natural injuries, or whether he has genuine injury problems which we have only discovered now and will keep recurring. If he can stay fit though, I can see him and a new top class midfielder, or Carrick, being our long term midfield partnership in midfield.
  12. May 7, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

How many games has Cleverley actually started for us? 6 or 7? Anderson is hardly reliable either, and I can't see that changing. Hopefully injuries wont stop Cleverley from shining next season, but as a partnership I cannot see it happening very often if at all.
  13. May 7, 2012

SER19 Full Member

Been here 5 years now and other than his first season he has constantly underwhelmed. I agree with you and would be tempted to cut ties,possibly in art exchange for a legitimate midfielder.
  14. May 7, 2012

davisjw Full Member

Cleverly is young enough, and coming off a big injury, that he'll get little injuries throughout next year - much like Rafael has had to face.

Anderson we know is crocked and is crocked at some point every season. I would not count on him and would use him as trade bait. (does that even happen anymore?)

If we're relying on those two, Fergie didn't do his job and bring someone in during the summer. We must buy. There's no room for messing about.
  15. May 7, 2012

I think he is but the boss doesnt, if we dont have any new options when the season starts then we will have to rely on these two as well as Carrick and we wont know about Scholes and Fletcher.
  16. May 7, 2012

I rate them both hugely but it's not in our nature (since early 2000's anyway) to play such open football. It really was back to that old style "don't care how many we concede because we'll score more" style of play.

Carrick provides a huge amount of protection and control to our midfield which is invaluable and I don't see Ferguson benching him for explosive attacking play any time soon. We've got enough on the offensive with two attacking wingers and two strikers as it is. Unless we play with wingers who offer some protection I don't see that changing to six attacking players. I'd like to be wrong, I really would.
  17. May 7, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

I think Fergie has a few interesting decisions to make this season.

I fear if he continues to rely on Anderson and refuses to move on from him we are going to struggle.

I think Carrick has been very good this season considering how his form had been prior to that. He still has alot to offer us. Cleverley will and should get games, but he shouldn't be first choice just yet.
  18. May 7, 2012

KingEric7 Conspiracy enthusiast

I think even I'm fearing for Anderson now. It would be absolute suicide to rely on these two at the moment, in my opinion.
  19. May 7, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

Totally agree.

Without Scholes and Carrick this season would have been over for us along time ago.
  20. May 7, 2012

Name Changed weso26

I know we won those games and scored a fair few goals, but the amounts of chances we were conceding through midfield was unreal.
  21. May 7, 2012

Inigo Montoya Full Member

It was mentioned by quite a few on the Stretford End yesterday that while we rely on not only Anderson, but the Giggs/Scholes combo we will struggle.The latter two are legends without a doubt but we need to move on
  22. May 7, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

Scholes has been superb for me this season. Can still do a job and would certainly have him back again if he wished. That said, we need to stop relying on him and I think that is something that the other players need to look at and step up to.

I don't see a regular place for Giggs in the side, and this season has been fairly mixed for him in my opinion. Some good goals and good spells mixed with poor passing and spells of clear tiredness which is to be expected at his age.

Scholes' game will allow him to carry on but there is no way on earth Giggs can offer the same in the middle of the park as his range of passing isn't good enough.

We need to move on and I think if the money is available Fergie should do it this season.
  23. May 7, 2012

Bape Full Member

Agreed, which is giving us a real dilema right now. They have potential but are injury prone, they are inconsistent but are young. Theres no chance Cleverley is going anywhere, and Anderson has little resale value.

Either way, I seriously hope Fergie doesn't put all his faith in them (Fletcher as well, given his condition) and again refuse to bring a new centre mid this summer.
  24. May 7, 2012

mo0 Full Member

*Cleverley
  25. May 7, 2012

Inigo Montoya Full Member

With Fletcher's future uncertain, that's 4 midfield positions
  26. May 7, 2012

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

I thought the pair of them were a revelation earlier this season. Shame about the injuries.
  27. May 7, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

This is the problem Fergie has when doing business now.

He needs to sever his emotional ties and some pride with Anderson, and start a fresh.

For me, only Carrick and Scholes offer us world class in the middle of the park.

Cleverley has potential and that is it. Anderson I don't think will cut it and hasn't shown anything lately to suggest he is about to step up. Fletcher has missed alot of football now and at his age things won't get any easier.

I genuinely think we need to offload and freshen things up as on paper we have a hatfull of CM's but they are simply not good enough at the top level.
  28. May 7, 2012

Thinking about it, the figures were heavily skewed by the pot shots at De Gea.
  29. May 7, 2012

Bape Full Member

Scholes should only be used sparingly next season, he's my favourite player ever but we can't just rely on him and Giggs.

Anderson is a strange one. He has potential, he showed that in his first season but he hasn't built on it since. I'm not convinced we've figured out what his best position or qualities are either. At the start of this season he finally showed some consistency and I was thinking it would be his breakthrough season, but then got injured again.

I agree with what you're saying though, bottom line is injuries is part and parcel of it all, just look at Hargreaves. If Anderson stays next season, that will surely be his last chance to prove he can cut it with us.
  30. May 7, 2012

KiD MoYeS Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Would genuinely be shocked if Anderson lasted the summer here.
  31. May 7, 2012

jakec nightclub John Terry

David Grays birthday should be a holiday.
    A fit Anderson is one of the best premier leage midfielders in the league in form. Would be silly to sell him, he's done much more for us then Clev has, that's for sure.
  32. May 7, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

I'm sorry mate but that's just not true. A fit Anderson on form is a decent Premier League midfielder. He's got fairly good ability on the ball but nowhere near enough to compensate for the fact that he doesn't work hard at all and isn't an overly intelligent player who has a gift for reading the game either.
  33. May 7, 2012

adam118 Full Member

Think Anderson will play a big part next year. Just cannot see how there is any benefit to selling him. No one will want to buy a player who has been injured all season. We may as well keep him and see how he develops if he can get a full season under his belt. I have no idea on his injury record, is it always the same injury that keeps him out for so long or are they different each time?
  34. May 7, 2012

BD94 A boob

Nah, sorry, but thats not true. Even if that was true, he isnt fit enough to be trusted as our first choice CM.
  35. May 7, 2012

Like many others, I've lost all faith in Anderson, feel he's had his chance, his lack of consistency and fitness problems with all the injuries, he's nowhere near the required standard to be starting midfield for Manchester United.

As for Cleverley, he's had an unlucky season, the jury is still out and it remains to be seen if he'll be a top quality centre midfield player for us.
  36. May 7, 2012

gza the genius Full Member

I can't believe how much stock some people are putting in to their performances together at the beginning of the year. It lasted like 5 games. Despite all that Carrick has done over the course of the year people are still ready to throw him out immediately at the thought of these two being fit, I just find it odd.
  37. May 7, 2012

I love Carrick, the midfield pairing of Anderson and Cleverley though gave us something I hadn't seen since the 90's. I want to see more. Nothing wrong with that. They were dynamic and exciting.
  38. May 7, 2012

They tore apart a shite Tottenham, people have been giddy since. They were good together against mostly poor opposition, did the two start in the 1-6 or was it just Anderson? 'Cos Anderson was feckin' shite vs. City.
  39. May 7, 2012

I though Anderson was one of our better players v city.
  40. May 7, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Cleverley's fitness is really important for his development next season.I don't know what to think about Anderson anymore