1. We've added a new Women's Team sub-forum to discuss all things related to the new United Women's Team.

Also, the FCUoM forum has been closed due to inactivity, with its threads moved to the Football Forum. To discuss FCUoM and Salford City moving forward, please use this sticky thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Club's domestic PR strategy

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Beachryan, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018

Beachryan More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

If you spend more than 2 minutes in almost any thread, you'll come across mentions of how we're treated differently by any number of parties: refs, journalists, pundits, ex-pros and so forth. A lot of this is just fans being fans, but I feel like a reasonably intelligent, old(er) person who can be objective: we definitely aren't given any 'rub of the green'.

Instead of citing examples (cause seriously, there are loads) I feel like the club should have a strategy to deal with it. For example:

1. Get more ex pros into major punditry positions, and have them be just as shamelessly biased as the other ex pros. If I were a neutral listening to Owen Hargreaves, or Martin Keown, or Jamie Redknapp I would start to think United had spent more money than any club, benefited from more bad decisions than any other club, were hugely underachieving and were about 10th in the league. We need to get some pro-United balance in there. The only United players outside of Neville allowed to speak on Sky appear to be those happy to criticize us (hi Scholsey!)

2. Go on a f*cking charm offensive with the media. Have media appreciation days. Give out free truffle risotto to the press viewing areas. Hand out fleece blankets when it's cold. Invite their kids to see the players. Send em friggin Ubers to get em to the games. Basically, be just as disgustingly opaque about bribing their bias as City do. Remember: the media can't help itself to write enough positive articles about a club whose sole existence is make the public forget that their owners are responsible for actual deaths. And they're the 'good guys' in the UK. Why do you think that is? Because journalists are disgusting, unethical people who like nice things, and we need to abuse that fact.

3. Ham up the history, and use the power of nostalgia. Get puff pieces out about Fergie once a month. Get agents to give exclusive of today's new players meeting old ones and posing with the trophies. Have lovely boyhood shots of Lingard, Rashford, McTominay etc bleeding everywhere. Have a friggin clock with the minutes since we last didn't have a youth product in the squad. Make us the 'good' guys.

It seems we're all relegated to the ABU media being a fact of life, but PR and comms is a profession for a reason. As good as we are international presence, I believe a better domestic campaign would - most importantly - deliver us some actual benefit on the pitch.
  2. Feb 4, 2018

Santos J Full Member

Don't know why people give a shit about it so much tbh. Every club's fans think media/refs etc. are 'against them'.
  3. Feb 4, 2018

crossy1686 Full Member

I’m all for it because it would simply crack our rival managers, especially Pep. He’d have fecking melt down if the press called him out in our favour.
  4. Feb 4, 2018

Valar Morghulis Full Member

Supports:
    BBW
    The media would call him out in our favour if we were currently the dominant team on the pitch but we're not. Eventually they will turn on him if shit hits the fan, they always do and they always will. Oi Oi lads!
  5. Feb 4, 2018

beedoubleyou Full Member

Or.... let's not bother and just get a bit better on the pitch. It has zero impact on how we play and it's all the sweeter when we win. I'd really prefer us not sucking up to the gutter press for favourable headlines.
  6. Feb 4, 2018

esmufc07 Elvis has theft the building Scout

Feck the media and what they think.
  7. Feb 4, 2018

prateik Full Member

Nah. I want us to be hated. feck everyone else.
  8. Feb 4, 2018

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

I'm probably being paranoid and sounding like a RAWKite, but I'm half convinced City Football Group are paying journos to be on their side. All the unsavoury aspects of their business is completely ignored or brushed under the carpet. The reaction to the Sanchez deal from most journalists seem to indicate we spent nearly £200m on a player we effectively got for a trade. Just look at Oliver Holt's latest article on City.

Also think Jose would have been lambasted to high heaven if he had just put out 6 subs to simply make a point.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  9. Feb 4, 2018

Eire Red United Full Member

No way. Would rather be hated for our success and feck the rest.
  10. Feb 4, 2018

Denis' cuff Full Member

Of course it matters

Referees have been terrified of giving decisions in favour of United for years, for fear of the resulting vilification.

Earlier in the season Andre Marriner explained a no brainer he didn’t give us by saying he didn’t want to be the star of the show on motd

Of course most fans see everything through rose tints but in all my time watching the game it has never been this bad until the past few years. Consistently bad. Anywhere else on the pitch, that one on McTom was 100% a fk. The worrying thing is that oppo players are realising they’ll get away with it.
  11. Feb 4, 2018

Subho611 Full Member

City definitely have a robust PR machinery going on and we are the favorite whipping boys. It works because it sells - underdog club forever under the shadow of the bigger club in the city is doing better than them.

People love anti-incumbency and that's why the papers favor the challengers more than the established players. City will get the taste of the same medicine once they win the league this year and fail to do anything of note next year (if that happens). Then you will read headlines like "City is free fall as Guardiola departs" etc. after a while.

So, no we don't need to be worried about it. Also, I sincerely hope this is not an indirect way of ranting against the obvious penalty that wasn't given yesterday.
  12. Feb 4, 2018

Coleyoscar New Member

Couldn't agree more. All decisions in United's favour are poured over and relayed endlessly by the Scouse and Arsenal infested TV panels, decisions the other way are ignored, or laughed off. No excuse for the awful referee decisions United regularly suffer but It's an explanation.
  13. Feb 4, 2018

Beachryan More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

That's my thinking too. If you believe there's even a chance that our on field fates are being influenced by narrative, we have to start to change it.
  14. Feb 4, 2018

Denis79 Full Member

What are they going to do when we're back at the top?
  15. Feb 5, 2018

Xaviesta Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Maybe David May and Paddy Crerand should have joined the mainstream media instead of MUTV.