Contracts | Lots of players with one year left

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Bastian, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Aug 6, 2018

Bastian Full Member

We've got quite a lot of contracts expiring next summer and we don't look like selling anyone bar Darmian in this window. Next summer could be quite a transitional period. Then again, if ambitions are more top 4ish and less title challenge-ish we might give out loads of contracts this winter.

Contracts that are up at the end of June 2019:

Juan Mata
    Ander Herrera
    Chris Smalling - 1 year option (according to MEN)
    Phil Jones - 1 year option (according to MEN)
    Luke Shaw
    Ashley Young
    Matteo Darmian - 1 year option
    Antonio Valencia - 1 year option
    David de Gea - 1 year option
    Anthony Martial - 1 year option
    Andreas Pereira - 1 year option (both parties)

11 players. We'll likely try to get Dave signed to a new contract asap if we have any clue whatsoever and Martial we'll take the option to extend, if only to keep up his value.

This might help motivate some of those players..
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. Aug 6, 2018

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Should be sold this window in addition to Darmian, or else we would need to increase their wages and making them even harder to sell( bar Mata who will leave on a free next summer):
    Juan Mata
    Ander Herrera
    Chris Smalling
    Phil Jones
    Luke Shaw
  3. Aug 6, 2018

UnrelatedPsuedo I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

De Gea won't re sign.
  4. Aug 6, 2018

CallyRed Full Member

Jones will probably be released, snapped up by Everton, plays 30 times in 4 years, then finishes his career back at Blackburn.
  5. Aug 6, 2018

YouOnlyLiveTwice Full Member

Where will he go then? Looks like real madrid is signing Courtois.
  6. Aug 6, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Execute all 1 year options bar possibly Valencia (and sell Darmian). Extend Smalling, Herrera and possibly Mata. Release the others.

To be fair, I have no idea why we didn't try to get some money this summer for the likes of Malta, Jones, Shaw and so on, considering that they will likely leave for free next summer unless we give them new contracts which will be very risky considering their age and ability.
  7. Aug 6, 2018

pascell Full Member

I think we'll lose Mata, Herrera and Shaw for free. Mata will go back to somewhere in Spain or head to Germany, Herrera has already reported to have been offered a lucrative deal to go back to Bilbao and Shaw will go to somewhere like Newcastle.

Herrera we could have got good money for, he's easily worth £30m in today's market.
  8. Aug 6, 2018

FootyGirl88

How have we not sorted out De Gea's renewal yet?
  9. Aug 6, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

Arsenal style
  10. Aug 6, 2018

Rood nostradamus like gloater Scout

Pretty sure we had a similar situation this time last year, everyone stayed and very little changed
  11. Aug 6, 2018

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Bar De Gea, every single one of them still has to prove they’re worth a new contract at a club with aspirations of being the best in Europe (for differing reasons). Depressing as feck but the truth hurts, right?
  12. Aug 6, 2018

littlepeasoup Full Member

Mmm, hit me with some of that sweet legalese.
  13. Aug 6, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Those might all take a bumper pay rise seeing as we set that precedent for Fellaini (and if rumours are to be believed, Rojo).

Yes, it does. I always find it useful to imagine them being at other clubs and think which ones I'd like us to go for. The reality is not many. Bar de Gea, there are a couple I think are highly professional and solid squad players: Tony, Young, Mata and Ander. The first two are pretty much nearing the end of their careers and we could have maybe done with selling Mata as likeable as he is as we don't really play any system that utilises him properly. Whatever we do, I think we need to develop a long-term strategy as a club and manifest it with ambition.

I don't think we had a comparable situation then to be honest. 11 players is quite a lot. The year after we've got 6 players coming to the end of their deals (which includes Grant and TFM). Those referred to above are half our squad really.
  14. Aug 7, 2018

BluesJr Full Member

I'd honestly only keep De Gea, Martial and Andreas if he does well this year. Of course that won't be the reality as we'll actually need a squad.
  15. Aug 7, 2018

AltiUn likes playing with swords after fantasies

You're not wrong, I'd be tempted to renew Martial and Herrera as I feel we could get good money for them if it came to it, jury's out on the rest.
  16. Aug 7, 2018

liamp Full Member

Yeah, the squad contract situation could result in a pretty interesting scenario. Let's say we're off the pace and not looking like title challengers by December. If Jose wants to extend Young, Jones, Smalling and, hypothetically, Mata because they're his soldiers would you let him? You're left in the position of extending some expensive players into their 30s for a manager who may not even last the season...but he's still your manager. Conversely, you could let a bunch of contracts lapse and make it easier for the next guy to operate with a cleaner wage list. It's scary to me that Woodward is the one responsible for choosing what to do in that predicament.
  17. Aug 7, 2018

ErranMorad Full Member

I don't think the first post is correct. Everyone besides Shaw, Mata, Herrera & Young have an option of an additional year.
  18. Aug 7, 2018

Bastian Full Member

By everyone you mean Smalling and Jones? This is according to Transfermarkt. Presumably we've already taken those options on Smalling and Jones.

Out of all those players I think we're obviously extending Pereira, or giving him a new contract. Martial and Dave are no brainers. And of the rest Ander is the most likely to get a new contract, even with view to selling him next summer. Seeing as our finances are so limited we're probably willing to sell most of the others now if it means we can fix the first XI by Thursday afternoon. We've just read about Mata for instance..
  19. Aug 7, 2018

Kag Full Member

Mata, Herrera, Pereira, Martial, Smalling and Valencia (on one of those old man deals we loved to give Giggs/Scholes etc.) are all players that I'd happily see remain here. They're all good players and offer something to the squad.

Shaw is on his final chance otherwise he should be off. I don't really care for Young and wouldn't by sorry to see the back of him.

Jones is a tricky one. He's actually a good defender that gets way too much stick (hence literally every manager for club and country has started him when fit). His injuries, however, are just too frequent. If it's another year of messing around then we should renew and look to sell for some decent money next summer.

Smalling and Jones come in for lots of criticism (unfairly) but you'll be hard pressed to find better back ups anywhere. This is assuming Mourinho buys his third centre half this week.
  20. Aug 7, 2018

Bastian Full Member

@Kag
    The issue (IMV) isn't whether they have something to offer as squad players (they probably all do). It's more that our finances are tight and there probably is a lot in the reports that we need to sell to buy. Read an interesting post by ravelston where he goes into our finances and concluded that we'd have 15m (+ what we've made in sales this summer) left to spend without deferring payments into the future. Then there's the size of the squad and the small matter of the wage budget.
  21. Aug 7, 2018

Bastian Full Member

Compliments of @ErranMorad Luckhurst claims here that the club has a 1 year option on both Smalling and Jones. Not sure which is correct, Transfermarkt or Luckhurst.
  22. Aug 7, 2018

Kag Full Member

I take your point but I'm sure I've read before that our wage structure is probably lower now than it has been at some points in the past. I also read something about the percentage of the club's turnover in comparison to wages being lower than clubs like Liverpool and City.

We can sell some of these players but we'll also have to settle for a reduction in quality and huge transfer fees to replace them. I mean, it's possible this season that Herrera finds himself fourth (even fifth) choice in central midfield. Smalling or Jones could well be third and fourth (one of them fifth, again) choice this season, too. Few clubs can boast that kind of depth and I wouldn't want to see that tampered with unless we were using academy kids a lot more often to subside it.
  23. Aug 7, 2018

Bastian Full Member

We've cleared a few from the wage list but I think after signing Alexis our wages went a little up again. From what I understand our wages aren't a problem (I've read that too, our ratio is quite healthy) but the overall finances are still an issue (annually dividend payments of 25m and 20m servicing debts) with 68m being paid this year for previous years transfers and another 68m next year. Add it all up together and we maybe cannot afford to have loads of squad players on high wages. Personally, I'd hope that after signing one top class centre back in the next couple of days, next season we'd look to incorporate Tuanzebe into the team as 4th/5th choice, getting rid of two of Jones/Smalling/Rojo.
  24. Aug 7, 2018

Jinn Full Member

We still have 3 weeks after the close of the English window to sell Darmian, Rojo and Mata.
    David de Gea - 1 year option - will renew.
    Anthony Martial - 1 year option - will renew or be sold in January depending on performance or attitude.
    Andreas Pereira - 1 year option (both parties) - will renew depending on performance this year.
    Chris Smalling - As much as I don't rate him, he's good option to have if there is no replacement.
    Phil Jones - Same as Smalling.
    Luke Shaw - Same as Martial.
    Ashley Young - will get a 1 year renewal if we don't get a replacement.
  25. Aug 22, 2018

ErranMorad Full Member

When do guys believe we are likely to see a movement on this? Are we going to allow Shaw, Herrera, Young & Mata to leave for free at the end of the season? Will De Gea and Martial sign new contracts?

Smalling, Jones, Darmian, Valencia, Pereira, De Gea and Martial - will all need a new contract unless we are planning to sell them in the summer.

This is some Arsenal level feckwittery.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  26. Aug 22, 2018

11101 Full Member

Our four priorities imo. The rest we can afford to let go on an individual basis if they try to play games.
  27. Aug 22, 2018

westmeath Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Keep DDG, flog the rest (and then sell them...)
  28. Aug 22, 2018

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Im actually worried this my be the case. Where would he go then? Juve? PSG? Barca?
  29. Aug 22, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Unfortunately I expect they'll all sign extensions even though a lot of them need shipping out

Juan Mata - new contract
    Ander Herrera - new contract
    Chris Smalling - new contract
    Phil Jones - new contract
    Luke Shaw - new 5 year contract
    Ashley Young - new 2 year contract
    Matteo Darmian - 1 year option taken up
    Antonio Valencia - 1 year option taken up
    David de Gea - New 5 year contract
    Anthony Martial - 1 year option taken up
    Andreas Pereira - 1 year option taken up
  30. Aug 22, 2018

SirAF Ageist

Only Shaw, de Gea, Pereira and Martial should be kept. Maybe Herrera too.
  31. Aug 22, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

I don't understand this recent policy of ours of letting player's contracts run down to the final year before renewing them, especially in an inflated market where player's easiest way of moving clubs is to just let said contract run down. Why are we doing this? I know we obviously don't want to keep a lot of these players but we could get good money for a Mata or a Herrera or a Jones with a long contract so it makes no sense to me to see this shit.
  32. Aug 22, 2018

I'd let them all bar Dave leave to be perfectly honest
  33. Aug 22, 2018

Who knows, maybe it's the players agent's refusing to meet the club for negotiations because like you say they can get huge signing on fees if they leave the club on free transfers

Wenger did say he could see the trend happening more and more and while he's a figure of fun for many Wenger does know what he's talking about
  34. Aug 22, 2018

MUFC OK Full Member

Agree with this, the rest are not good enough. I'd argue Smalling deserves an extra year.
  35. Aug 22, 2018

MUFC OK Full Member

Problem is, with the wages they'd demand it will be difficult to flog them to clubs of their level. No one else is paying Jones 120,000 a week or whatever he is on.
  36. Aug 22, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

Yes, that's a fair point but again that's bad management at a club level for paying these players more than they're worth.
  37. Aug 22, 2018

DomesticTadpole Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

As most will be out of contract, then that been no money coming in. This is seriously bad from the club. Most should have been sold already. So we will waste next summer discussing contracts with a majority of them, it will be a majority, then they will cry that the window is too short and we didn't have time to do business for new players. Some it could be Fellaini MkII, will they resign or not. The club have got seriously lazy and disorganised on this side of things.

I agree with @Massive Spanner that some are vastly overpaid and it will be a nightmare to sell them. Some will also want a pay rise to resign. It is a mess.
  38. Aug 22, 2018

FootyGirl88

Again we have to ask what exactly is Woodward plan here? Why is he letting so many players run down their contracts without either renewing or selling them?
  39. Aug 22, 2018

NoLogo Full Member

De Gea's contract needs to be extended at any cost.

Martial I would like to see extend but he probably doesn't want to.

Pereira and Shaw I would like to see extended as well.

The rest can leave for all I care.
  40. Aug 22, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

I don't know what to be more concerned about - losing some of those players on a free or their contract being renewed.