Controversial decisions that the dust has settled on

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by SER19, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Dec 26, 2017

SER19 Full Member

Football fans love a moan. And there is nothing quite so stubborn as a football man indignant about a decision, or even a neutral who gets carried away in a big talking point moment.

Having reviewed two horror shows by clattenburg against us recently (the vardy penalty and Herrera red card versus Burnley) that now that the dust has settled firmly I feel even more vindicated in suggesting that was a referee with an agenda, it got me thinking about some others.

Whether the ref was right or wrong and what the general reaction at time said about the people or teams involved. So what controversial decisions or decisions people were adamant about do you feel should be clear cut now the dust has settled.

I'll get the ball rolling.

The vieira red card in the 0-0 when Ruud missed. The Arsenal fans were furious about this. It riled the players up something awful and without it the entire full time goading probably wouldn't have happened. Nor the battle of the buffet and nor the revenge a year later. Speaking only about the Arsenal fans, that incident was a clear red card and it still maddens me when people say van nistelrooy "dived" or got him sent off. He made a tiny little jump away and vieira was idiotic.

The hazard ball boy incident another clear red. He's hardly assaulted him and it's not the big sexy story people wanted when they heard he "kicked a ball boy", but like vieira it was idiotic and one angle shows clearly that he did kick him, a child, and had no real chance of kicking the ball. Red given all good, never became this big event, all good. What's incredible rewatching and remembering the analysis, is the commentator sympathy for him. Watching the relay and blatantly taking hazards side. To me, now that we can talk calmly about it, it's a sign of some serious hazard obsession among many media heads that I often cite examples of.

Herrera red versus Burnley never in a million years a red card, an insane decision.

There are many examples of dodgy penalties we got that I argued at the time were legitimate, e.g. Rooney versus arsenal.

But the one that caused such furious uproar and was held up as some sort of exhibit of 'only at old Trafford' was the Gomes foul on carrick in 5-2 game. That probably caused more self righteous indignation than many decisions, but on rewatching, again, the ref got it right. And even if you still feel he didn't, it was hardly a catastrophe. Gomes messed up.

So what other decisions, not just united to you feel either even more strongly about, more honest about or flat out the opposite about now you can judge them more clearly?
  2. Dec 26, 2017

Richard Cranium Banned

I am still annoyed about the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge in the season they beat us by 1 point. 09/10 possibly without looking it up? They were given a free-kick that wasn't and scored from it. But for that dodgy decision, it'd have finished 0-0. They'd have two less points, we'd have one more and have won the league.

I am also annoyed about the season were City beat us on goal difference. They played Spurs a few weeks before the end of the season. Balotelli blatantly stamped on Scott Parker (IIRC) and should have been sent off. He then went on to score a late penalty and they beat us on GD. Frustrating.

Two isolated incidents that if refereed correctly, would mean two more titles for us.

Inb4 "it all evens out over 38 games" philosophy.
  3. Dec 26, 2017

Ish Lights on for Luke

Nani not a red vs Madrid.

Rafael not a red vs Leceister.
  4. Dec 26, 2017

BluesJr Full Member

That Chelsea game was even more annoying considering it was postponed due to 'snow' outside Stamford Bridge in December. We were in great form and they had a few injuries I think, we would have won.
  5. Dec 26, 2017

Kentonio Full Member

The Hazard ballboy thing was a red, but calling him a 'child' is misleading. He was a 17 year old who had posted this on Twitter before the game..
  6. Dec 26, 2017

IAmAWinner New Member

You are thinking about 10/11, when the Chelsea game was postponed. Didn't matter anyway we won the title.
    09/10 was lost when we drew against Blackburn. Berba completely bottled in Rooney's absence.
  7. Dec 26, 2017

noodlehair "It's like..."

Drogba's offside goal that effectively won Chelsea the league at Old Trafford. No dust to settle really. It was clearly offside and what makes it worse is that neither he or the defenders were making any movement, so the linesman either deliberately got it wrong or, even more amazingly, wasn't actually watching the game. Probably the worst and most suspect decision I can remember in any football game involving us.

Rafael red card vs Bayern Munich...still baffles me. Not so much the secnd yelllow as the number of times before that the same offence was committed by other players and not punished.

When we won 3-2 at Stamford Bridge against 9 men...remember this one at the time and thinking Chelsea had othing to complain about. Watched the game back a few months ago and it's a shambles from the officiating point of view. The second red card in particular was ridiculous. It should have been a yellow card minimum to Evans for the foul and instead Torres is given a second yellow for diving. Again extremely suspect as a year later te same ref (Clattenberg, surprise) nearly won Liverpool the league when Suarez very clearly dived right in front of him and he refused to give a second yellow card.
  8. Dec 26, 2017

SER19 Full Member

Haha didn't realise he was 17 at the time of the incident. And he made a massive meal of it and rightly got some shit at the time. Still though, mindless by hazard and I think had it been a certain other players commentators arguing his defence would be arguing the exact opposite which is strange
  9. Dec 26, 2017

BluesJr Full Member

Ah, well corrected. Pogbagate?
  10. Dec 26, 2017

sunama Baghdad Bob

17 year old is a child. Trust me.
  11. Dec 26, 2017

Snowgoons New Member

He definitely had a real chance at kicking the ball away from under him, as that is just what he did. While doing so the ball boy did get hit in the side so the red card was correct no matter the fact that the ball boy and his mates did everything in their power to take things slow all game. Something he admitted on his twitter the day/hours BEFORE the game that he'd do.
    As for the sympathy for Hazard in that situation, I did not see it. The clip I've seen the commentator is completely shocked as if he's never seen anything worse in his life. Made me sick listening to.
  12. Dec 26, 2017

Kentonio Full Member

I actually agree in legal and emotional terms, but it was used in some media here to paint a false picture of what actually happened. At 17 he could have been one of the players actually playing in the game, so it wasn't exactly the 'adult viciously kicks a child' incident that some people tried to make out.
  13. Dec 26, 2017

Oldyella Full Member

Chelsea game, that goal was also offside If I remember correctly to compound the first bad decision.
  14. Dec 26, 2017

Kostov Full Member

Does anyone remembers when Adebayor scored with his hand at Old Traford for Arsenal? We ended winning the game by Hargreaves's free kick but that was blatant and often forgotten.
  15. Dec 26, 2017

Kentonio Full Member

Good post. I think all of us could look back on some of our teams games and if we were honest we'd have to say the same thing.

Clattenberg was a massive hate figure for us for a long time though, I was actually really surprised when I started posting here and found United fans hated him too. :lol:
  16. Dec 26, 2017

IAmAWinner New Member

It was when Rooney got injured against Bayern in UCL quarterfinals 2010. Missed the game against Chelsea, then rushed back for the return leg against Bayern which aggravated the injury and missed the Blackburn game. The Bayern-Chelsea-Bayern 2010 week is for me probably one of the worst weeks of supporting United ever. To this day I am still absolutely certain, had Rooney been fit we would have won the UCL/EPL double.
  17. Dec 26, 2017

2 man midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

Newcastle, 2011/12, we drew 1-1. Newcastle got a penalty which shouldn't have been and we lost the league on goal difference.
  18. Dec 26, 2017

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Hazard was right to kick the shit out of that ball-man (if you can legally drive to the ground, you're too old to be a ball-boy).
  19. Dec 26, 2017

SER19 Full Member

Doesn't really matter if the ball boy had a mega phone and was shouting that he was time wasting.also if your commentator slated him for doing it then great he should be. The fact that there was people in football acting like he did nothing wrong was straight up weird.
  20. Dec 26, 2017

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Rafa red for Bayern. Ribery is paedo cnut!
  21. Dec 26, 2017

Chelsea 2009 semi vs Chelsea was probably the worst fecking refereeing I’ve ever seen. Certainly robbed of a final.
  22. Dec 26, 2017

royboy16 Full Member

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
    Resulting goal was a free against Carrick I think which was very harsh.
  23. Dec 26, 2017

Dominos Full Member

In 07/08 we turned up at Stamford Bridge towards the end of the season and put in a shit show of a performance, Chelsea were all over us and we couldn't string 2 passees together. We lost 2-1 and I think they went level on points with us.

It was a penalty that won it for them for Carrick handball, and there was outrage on here over the decision. The league is corrupt, the ref is corrupt, never a penalty, the FA hates us.

I remember being baffled at the time as it seemed to be one of the clearest handballs you're ever likely to see.

The videos on youtube are fairly shit, this was the clearest I could find.

7.47 for the handball.

I think this shows how much narrative plays a part in how people view decisions too. If that game happened this season, firstly our manager and players would be slaughtered for such an inept performance - instead at the time the caf excused the team and decided to blame the ref instead. Second thing to consider is Carrick was popular on here at the time, if that same incident would have happened during the years Carrick was a scaepgoat 09/10 - 11/12 - the Caf would have slaughtered him for being such an idiot.
  24. Dec 26, 2017

Dominos Full Member

Also, Rafael was a clear 2nd yellow against Bayern. A cynical breaking up of a counter attack like that is a text book yellow. I still don't get the contraversy. I remember calling for Rafael to be subbed at half time because he was too much of a risk on a booking.

And although this doesn't have much to do with the decision, Bayern were also better than us in 3 out of 4 halves of football during that tie. Bayern had a decent chance of going through without the sending off, I say that because they created a big chance at 2-0 and missed it, and then pulled one back to 3-1 before half time and started the 2nd half well to the point Ribery was having a run at our defence which resulted in Rafael's stupidity. The 2nd reason is at that point in the season we were knackered, we couldn't keep the pressing up that we did in the first half, and the games after we turned in a pathetic performance against Chelsea at Old Trafford where we lost 2-1 and Blackburn 0-0 which lost us the league, the players were completely out of gas.
  25. Dec 26, 2017

Dominos Full Member

The Drogba offside goal was a shocker, I remember vividly I could see in real time how far offside he was, I didn't even need a replay. However it's worth noting we were 1-0 down already and our performance that day was very very poor, we turned up to a title decider at our home ground and we were clearly 2nd best.

Macheda scored late on to make it 2-1, but it was clear handball, he's basically threw it into the net, which no one on here ever acknowledges.
  26. Dec 26, 2017

RedStarUnited Full Member

The Chelsea one you are talking about I remember very well too. And in the return game at OT, Drogba scored from an offside position. So both games could have been draws and we lost the league by a point.
  27. Dec 26, 2017

RedStarUnited Full Member

I still dont think thats a pen. Carrick is pulling his arm out of the way, which is why the cross still went into a dangerous area.

And yeah we did play bad that game but remember we were in between the Barcelona semi final games in that period. The game before it was tough for us too, Blackburn away when Tevez equalized in the last minute.
  28. Dec 26, 2017

Cal? CR7 fan

The Scandal of Stamford Bridge, the ref and the game that established the Barcelona dominance. :nono:
  29. Dec 26, 2017

Dominos Full Member

The ball has travelled a fair distance before reaching Carrick, you can't block the cross with your arm there and claim it's been blasted at your hand.

Let's put it this way, if we're denied that penalty next time we play Chelsea there will be uproar on here.
  30. Dec 26, 2017

gormless Full Member

I still think we would have beaten Chelsea in the final if they had made it. Terrible decision and cost Utd a legacy as one of the greatest teams of all time
  31. Dec 26, 2017

The butterfly effect in full fecking swing!
  32. Dec 26, 2017

Cal? CR7 fan

Indeed, we had a very good record against Chelsea that season.
  33. Dec 26, 2017

SER19 Full Member

This is the type of thing I was after, not so much blatant ones that everybody knew was shocking like Chelsea Barca or the Henry handball. For what it's worth I would now call this a pen and probably argued that it wasn't back then. As watching has matured my very simple rule is "if it was the other way would I have claimed it?'. I'd certainly have wanted a pen for that
  34. Dec 26, 2017

Eyepopper Lowering the tone since 2006

Now that the dust has settled, I reckon that Pedro Mendes shot against Carroll might have actually crossed the line.
  35. Dec 26, 2017

SirAF Ageist

The dust will never settle :mad:
  36. Dec 26, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Nani''s red v. Madrid
    Rafael''s red v. Bayern

Both were shocking and had a huge impact to the game.
  37. Dec 26, 2017

arthurka Full Member

Hahahaha...

I still hate that fecking ref..
  38. Dec 26, 2017

Gareth williams New Member

Supports:
    Everton
    The hazard ballboy incident. Maybe it is a red but Swansea should have been charged after the game. That ballboy was 17, related to 1 of the directors and openly admitted beforehand he intended to waste time
    That whole incident was brought on by Swansea. Also he really didn't kick him either and he probably should have
  39. Dec 26, 2017

Dominos Full Member

Yes this thread hasn't gone as intended in the slightest :lol: people are just using this as an excuse to complain about any decision that hasn't gone United's way over the years.
  40. Dec 26, 2017

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Lampard's wrongly disallowed goal v Germany got a fair bit of coverage but it could've got more considering.