Conversation Calcio: A Chat With Milan Fans

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by askabob, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Feb 13, 2010

askabob Full Member

On February 16, Manchester United face AC Milan in the first leg of the round of 16 of the UEFA Champions League. After being knocked out of the competition in the semi-final defeat to Milan in 2007, United will be out for sweet revenge as they hope to send their foes tumbling out of the European Cup at such an early stage (sorry Liverpool, group stages don't count). In order to commemorate this tie, I interviewed some Milan fans over at the AC Milan forums so we could get some input from opposition supporters.

When SAF logs onto the Caf tonight, he'll be delighted to find that Milan openly posted their tactics on the internet.Because the fans know everything, right? Right? I'll get my coat.

1. The first leg of the clash will be the first time David Beckham has played against Manchester United since his departure in 2003. Do you think this will affect his performance? Also, how will his return to Old Trafford affect him in the return leg?
    madterchot - Personally, I'm rather disappointed that the first question asked was regarding Becks. Like Sir Alex said, we shouldn't get carried away with this grabbing media headlines.

That said, it will be an occasion for him, but he's shown to be quite the professional ... he'll probably be more motivated to perform as Capello will surely be watching, as would a lot of Englishmen. Whether he starts though is still questionable, especially if Pato returns by then.

crazy4milan - I think Beckham is a very professional footballer, regardless of what most football fans believe of him. So maybe he'll get emotional, but I doubt he will let that affect his game, he might not end up playing at least as a starter.

[​IMG]
    Beckham's heart will always remain in Manchester​
    Sod-Lod - David will surely do his best to gain the attention, acceptance and applause of Mr. Capello but definitely the most he can do is accurate lond and cross passes, shooting free kicks and holding the ball.

2. Paolo Maldini is a man of great experience and knew AC Milan inside out, has his retirement had an affect on the club in any way? Are his leadership skills missed?
    madterchot - Maldini is certainly missed. Even though he's around the club most of the time, and its reported that he frequents the dressing rooms, when Nesta isn't on the pitch, we definitely lack leadership at the back. However, when both Nesta and Ambro are on the pitch, we seem to cope with his absence fairly well, although its evident he will never truly be replaced. However, Silva seems worthy enough to take his spot at the back - huge compliment to the Brazilian.

crazy4milan - Leadership like that will always be missed. But we have several players that can also carry that flag. In fact when we beat United 3-0, Maldini wasn't on the pitch, guys like Gattuso, Ambrossini, Seedorf and Nesta all took that role, and it's more than likely they'll take it again.

Soldier - Fact remains, you simply can't get over a player like Paolo Maldini. Never the less, we have a Nesta in defense that has done pretty a lot to cover that void. Silva has done a great job too. Many changed between last season and now, so it's hard to see where the "real change" happened. Kaka' was sold, Nesta came back, Carlo left, and Maldini retired. Thiago Silva started playing.

3. AC Milan faced Cristiano Ronaldo the last time the two clubs met and seemed to cope with him quite well. How will Milan attempt to deal with the current star of Manchester United, the in-form Wayne Rooney?
    madterchot - To me, Rooney is perhaps the most in-form striker in Europe at the moment. Drogba's hit a slump, but Rooney's really growing from strength to strength. I'd imagine Silva will be on him, if he's played as a lone forward. I think Silva has the pace and strength to cope with him. He's also very good on the ground ... what I'm more afraid of are Fletcher and Carrick's runs into the box. Our central midfield doesn't track back as well as they should.

Jasper - Ronaldo wasn't dealt by one person (Gattuso, Ambrosini and Oddo all hustled with him). And I think this will be/should be the case with Rooney. Seeing your team's last goals I'm sure there will be a lesson how to stop you guys at break (read: tactical fouls). Also, contrary to the belief of many, I do see your 4-5-1 working against us. The same way we did it 2005.

Christian - Rooney's a completly different player than Cristiano Ronaldo obviously. I don't think we'll let Gattuso or someone like that stay glued to him or anything like he did last time. As already said he's a player that currently plays where we're strongest.

4. Many expected Ronaldinho to step up after Kaka left for Madrid this summer. Do you think he has fulfilled the fans' expectations?
    madterchot - Has Dinho stepped up? Yes. Has he stepped up to a level similar to how Rooney's stepped up in the absence of Ronaldo? I don't think so. At least, not yet. This tie will surely give us an answer.

[​IMG]
    "High Five!"​
    Christian - Yes, it seems like it. I and most other people didn't have any expectations at all when we realised that we lost Kaká and didn't add much else to a squad that wasn't that impressive to be honost. And although things aren't to good right at this moment (mostly due to injuries), he has still turned things around and made the team play some great football.

Jasper - He's been decent but that's below expectations. Don't know who to blame - the fans for expectations or Ronaldinho for being not so special. I hope he will show his willpower to come back in the biggest stage against United. But he needs a team to support him as well.

5. Is Leonardo a suitable and long-term replacement for Carlo Ancelotti?
    madterchot - We all had our doubts at the start of the season, but he seems very knowledgeable about the game. Keep in mind this is his first season as a coach, so he's done remarkably well considering all the changes that happened in Milan last summer. Long-term? I'm not sure about 8 years ... but for next season, I think he's shown enough to be coach of Milan. Hopefully, he's more involved in our transfer activity this coming summer, as its been a point of criticism about our management over the years. However, that change is unlikely to happen overnight. Certainly would like to see more youth in the squad ... and was hoping that Leo would emphasize more on a youth policy of sorts.

Soldier - Most probably yes. He knows the team really well, which is fundamental for being a coach in Milan. That being said, Carlo treats matches way differently than Leonardo, but Leo has Tassoti there with him to do the balance Milan does. So I think the partnership of Leo and Tassoti is even better than that of Carlo, for one simple reason..Carlo and Tassoti seem to have a very similar way of thinking where as Leo and Tassoti differ, and that itself might be a blessing in disguise.

Jasper - Hard to judge. I think a little new blood became necessary. So it was nice to see Ancelotti finding a new adventure but if Leonardo is the answer for Milan only time will tell. We've been too a good period with him as well as a bad one. I guess the season needs to be played through to make conclusions.

crazy4milan - What he has done so far with this team is actually pretty incredible. Leo is a very smart man, and he knows football very well, in fact during the summer his target transfers were exactly what we needed (but we didn't get them). He also has motivational skills which are very important in coaches. The thing that could kill him is that he really has no more than 6 months of coaching experience at any level.

6. Manchester United are facing some problems with their finances because of massive debts accredited to the Glazer family. What is your opinion on Silvio Berlusconi's ownership of Milan?
    madterchot - While both owners aim to gain something from their respective clubs, there seems to be (to me) a huge difference between the two. For starters, as far as I'm aware, the Glazers seem to want to make money off United. Berlusconi, on the other hand, uses Milan for publicity. It has helped get him popularity, and perhaps thats why he isn't spending as much as he used to on Milan. Still ... his intention, I believe, isn't to make money off Milan. Thats a BIG difference, and a reason why I'm very content with having him in charge.

Soldier - People can criticize the way Berlusconi has been dealing with the club lately. Admittedly, it's cost us being "that" competitive. Never the less, it's truly important that a club has no debt in it. I'm glad with the way Berlusconi has dealt with the club recently. Sure, I'd love to see him spend, but Milan need to function without a Sugar Daddy...I hope we're on the right track.

Italian Tsar - We're incredibly lucky, despite our constant grumblings about less cash being spent on signings nowadays. Berlusconi made Milan what it is today, and though he has a personal interest in being the owner of the club, what with being a politician an' all, we can't bring ourselves to hate him. He's done lots for Milan.</strong>

7. Predicted line-ups?

Unanimously agreed:

Dida
    Abate--Nesta--Silva--Antonini
    Ambrosini--Pirlo
    Seedorf
    Pato--Boriello--Ronaldinho​
  2. Feb 13, 2010

askabob Full Member

Cheers to CZ for some of the questions and to phelans_pants for helping come up with the clever title.
  3. Feb 13, 2010

Clique Full Member

Second time around and you still call him Phelans pants.

Shorts wouldn't be amused. :lol:
  4. Feb 13, 2010

askabob Full Member

My goal was to wind him up :D
  5. Feb 13, 2010

Interval Level

:lol:

Sorry. Its kind of silly but just couldn't help it.
  6. Feb 13, 2010

prateik City Fan

what has he been watching
  7. Feb 13, 2010

EZee Full Member

the way he has been playing you would have to fancy nani to do well if that is theline up
  8. Feb 13, 2010

x42bn6 Full Member

We need to do one of these on RAWK some time...
  9. Feb 13, 2010

Clique Full Member

:lol::lol:, Brilliant find.

For those who don't understand Matherchot is a bad word in Hindi meaning Motherfecker.
  10. Feb 13, 2010

phelans shorts Full Member

I help you with a genius title and you repay me like this?

More importantly there is no underscore in my username askanob.

EDIT: actually I didn't help with the title I told him it!
  11. Feb 13, 2010

sammsky1 Full Member

Great effort. Enjoyed reading it.
  12. Feb 13, 2010

VoetbalWizard Banned

i am liking the retired maldini however. did you see the class of his beard yesterday at the udinese match?
  13. Feb 13, 2010

Raven Blade Dull

That was quite interesting. I look forward to our matches against AC Milan. It should be memorable in more ways than one.
  14. Feb 13, 2010

Mockney Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Interesting stuff...Nice work bob. I'm still amazed that italians put up with Belursconi to such an extent. He's a complete joke. A vain, corrupt, slightly racist, sleazy, ridiculous embarrassment of a media whore and yet they all shrug and go "meh, he's the best we've got, we don't mind"..and then even defend him when people mention it. It astonishes me, but hey, it's their thing, go for it.

Good to hear their thoughts anyway, are you gonna keep this inter-forum discourse going?

There are a couple of milan fans in the newbies I think...Special dispensations could be made me thinks
  15. Feb 13, 2010

VoetbalWizard Banned

burlesconi > glazer. fact.
  16. Feb 13, 2010

Clearly, but that isn't my point. As prime minister as well as football club owner. Even my italian family who hate him just shrug and go, "hey what can we do"...they just don't really give a shit about corrupt politics
  17. Feb 13, 2010

VoetbalWizard Banned

that's the italian mentality though. i quite like the laziness of it. :D
  18. Feb 13, 2010

EZee Full Member

[​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]
  19. Feb 13, 2010

phelans shorts Full Member

As a football club owner he's been very good IMO your right about his police career, infact Milan have gone downhill since he went into politics and wasn't so hands on with the club.
  20. Feb 13, 2010

devilish Full Member

He is still better then the people leading the left party, many of whom are communists with no idea of how to set a government that does not crumble after 10 minutes.
  21. Feb 13, 2010

It's all very well you all saying that, but if he was an english politician, he wouldn't of lasted 3 weeks. It's all incredibly funny from the outside, but the man is as bent as dale winton in a sauna rubbing Andi Peters with hot oil

Silvio Berlusconi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  22. Feb 13, 2010

VoetbalWizard Banned

maybe brown needs to shag a few brasses to loosen up. :D
  23. Feb 13, 2010

kps88 Full Member

Hmm so after all that Becks on the bench.
  24. Feb 13, 2010

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

:lol::lol:

Nice spot that
  25. Feb 13, 2010

askabob Full Member

[​IMG]

Anyways, you contributed "Conversation with Calcio" and it was my decision to delete the word 'with.' You can claim it as your own though :)
  26. Feb 13, 2010

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Great idea for a thread Bob. Very well constructed.
  27. Feb 13, 2010

McLovin Bites pillows thinking of John Terry

Good thread!

Maybe we can start doing this more regularly?
  28. Feb 14, 2010

Desert Eagle Punjabi Dude

That line up looks pretty strong.
  29. Feb 14, 2010

Pat_Mustard Full Member

A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
    Plenty of talent in there but its surprisingly attacking. Given that their keeper and full backs are by all accounts dodgy, we could cut them to ribbons given that their wide attackers aren't likely to do much in the way of effective defending and their midfield lacks the legs they used to have.
  30. Feb 14, 2010

It all depends on our approach to the game. We have gone to Italy and demolished teams in the past (Juve) and I get the feeling this Milan side is there for the taking. I would leave Scholes out and play Anderson. I think we can out hustle this Milan side and with Rooney/Valencia/Berbatov have enough up front to get the vital away goal/goals.
  31. Feb 14, 2010

Pat_Mustard Full Member

I doubt we'll see both Rooney and Berbatov play tbh. That would have annoyed me a few months ago but there's no denying that the 4-3-3 we've played recently has been very effective. As for Anderson playing instead of Scholes - he simply doesn't warrant it at the moment, and in the absence of Giggs, Scholesly nous could be priceless.

I do agree with you about approach though. We have to make sure Rooney doesn't get isolated and not be too hesitant about committing men forward to support him.
  32. Feb 14, 2010

I don't know about Scholesy. He has been playing well recently but that Fulham game is still fresh in the memory and I don't think we should be too reliant on him.
  33. Feb 14, 2010

Red Pavan shittest username ever manutddabest791

They should look to attack anyway, they are at home after all. And we will hit them on the counter.
  34. Feb 14, 2010

prateik City Fan

europe + away ... almost certainly going to be a 4-5-1

carrick-fletch pick themselves .. ando is out of favor .. cant even make the bench ahead of gibson .. with giggs injured (can play in the middle) , its going to be scholes

the lineup picks itself

vds
    brown-evans-rio-evra (vidic ?)
    carrick-scholes-fletch
    valencia-rooney-nani

doubts being the RB position (rafael?) and a pick between nani and park
  35. Feb 14, 2010

Pat_Mustard Full Member

There's always the worry at this stage of his career that his lack of legs could make him a passenger, I'll give you that. Those kamikaze tackles terrify me even more than usual with European referees there to punish them too. But if he can carry his recent form into the Milan match he'd be a massive asset. He's still the best passer we've got, and I don't think Milan's midfield have necessarily got the energy to hustle him out of the game, not with Fletcher and Carrick alongside him in any case. I would prefer it if Fergie makes the tactical switch he did against Arsenal (and City iirc?) and plays Scholes more advanced and Carrick deeper.
  36. Feb 14, 2010

Pat_Mustard Full Member

Sums it up really, although Valencia isn't a certainty either. It could just as easily be Nani and Park. I'm a Berba-lover, but I'd be shocked if he started this one.
  37. Feb 16, 2010

reelworld Full Member

I think it's more interesting that they're more wary of Fletcher-Carrick than Rooney. I've logged on to RAWK earlier, and one of the Milan fans there said the same thing.
  38. Feb 16, 2010

MUFC07 Full Member

Hadn't had time to read this askabob, but it was a good read.

Well done.
  39. Feb 16, 2010

ScholesClass Full Member

"If I had been born ugly, you would never hav
    Good read, very entertaining bob.
  40. Feb 16, 2010

Anderson Searl Reserve Team Player

Well in, make this a trend