Copa Libertadores Finals | 2nd leg at Bernabeu | River wins

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by IFC 1905, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Nov 29, 2018

IFC 1905 Full Member

I woulnd't be so sure they won't be able to fly....
  2. Nov 29, 2018

BrianMcClair'sBarnet Full Member

I think it's a good call.
  3. Nov 29, 2018

el3mel Full Member

4. Nov 29, 2018

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Tickets being split 50/50, hoping I'm able to get one.
  5. Nov 29, 2018

Mick321 Full Member

Disgusting decision. Sad to see so many supporting the South American’s getting screwed over but it’s the I’m alright Jack attitude isn’t it? As long as a few Europeans can go!
  6. Nov 29, 2018

IFC 1905 Full Member

It's all about the money
  7. Nov 29, 2018

RedTiger Full Member

Libertadores...ironic.
  8. Nov 29, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Seen this on Reddit, but it's ironic having the final in Spain, given the actual name of the competition. Shout-out to Simon Bolivar.

Edit: dammit
  9. Nov 30, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

Create an unsafe environment for the players and innocent fans and then act surprised when you lose the right to host the game.

USSF President declined chance to play it in Miami and Qatar were apparently offering way more money along with all expenses being covered.
  10. Nov 30, 2018

DrRodo Full Member

Lol all this circus seems like something wouldve had happened in the 70s football, but somehow it happens on 2018.
  11. Nov 30, 2018

Sgt.Major New Member

The biggest final in the history of club football ruined. What a shame.
  12. Nov 30, 2018

MrMarcello Full Member

Would Liverpool/United get this nasty pre-CL Final?
  13. Nov 30, 2018

haram Full Member

Well the scousers attacked the City bus last year.
  14. Nov 30, 2018

Gibb11 Full Member

this is absolutely mental, but ok bring it on.

On second reflection thank god the venue wasn't Dubai thus creating one of the biggest alienations of Football in it's entire history, Bernabeu makes much more sense with it's argentine links? Plus in a way promoting this final to be watched not only in South America but much more European interest aswell. I mean yes still probably alienating a little to South America.

50/50 divide aswell which is contraversial, it's like oh feck this format lets jump a year early with a neutral venue. Why isn't this game being played at another venue in the continent?

Still bring much more excitement, I just hope the fans get a chance to create their usual atmosphere, would be great too for the clubs/or FA to maybe help fans with flights or is this too much of an ask?
  15. Nov 30, 2018

Peyroteo Professional Ronaldo PR Guy

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    It must be the first time in football history that a 2 leg tie turns into a neutral stadium final in between the 2 legs.

It's like the first game never happened :lol: The stadium will even be 50/50 despite Boca having 100% of the fans in the first game. Nobody is even pretending this is a fair solution anymore, completely ruined it.
  16. Nov 30, 2018

Why would any other South American country want thousands of Argentinians descending on their country trashing the place and fighting each other?
  17. Nov 30, 2018

Cal? CR7 fan

Why would Spain want that?
  18. Nov 30, 2018

jojojo Moderator Staff

Welcome to Manchester reception committee
    I think that's just realism. Once they opted to go outside Argentina, fans of both teams were going to go. It's a lot easier for Madrid if they can operate ticket segregation and fans don't have an incentive to lie.
  19. Nov 30, 2018

Camilo Full Member

Just a different culture. Never judge.
  20. Nov 30, 2018

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Why did not they opt for Asunción, Montevideo or Santiago? I suppose for security reasons.
    Madrid is the city in the world with more Argentines outside of Argentina, so the atmosphere can be very good if they organize well the fan zones.
  21. Nov 30, 2018

Kostur Full Member

:lol:
  22. Nov 30, 2018

You think it is as easy to just go to Spain as it would be to Paraguay or a another neighbouring country?
  23. Nov 30, 2018

#07 makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Yes but if it was held in England the violence would not be allowed to get out of control.

The police in England have learned a lot since the 1980s, there are a lot of protocols the police have to follow when it comes to a game like United vs Liverpool. There would be mounted police, riot police, streets cordoned off, police forcing fans into certain areas to keep them from killing each other.

If it got really out of hand a full blown riot response would be triggered and the police would literally beat the living daylights out of us. If a big game like the European Cup final had to be cancelled because of crowd problems, if the mayors of Liverpool and Manchester hadn't gotten involved already, Westminster politicians would already be taking over the situation.
  24. Nov 30, 2018

MrMarcello Full Member

But what if United had taken care of Milan in the second leg and faced Liverpool in Athens in 2007?

How would another nation's security handle rival knuckleheads from England?
  25. Nov 30, 2018

Casanova85 New Member

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester Utd
    People for some reason refusing to accept that Buenos Aires police has failed completely.

Poorly managed metropolis.
  26. Nov 30, 2018

2mufc0 Full Member

Palacios playing in his new home.
  27. Nov 30, 2018

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

So how is the ticketing working? Are the just on general sale or what? Are fans are actually travelling across from Argentina for this?
  28. Nov 30, 2018

Spiersey Chelsea fan

The current quote is 5k each fans, 20k for argies in spain and 40k general sale. This is just from clued up Argie journalists so far so I'm guessing it's leaked. Hoping it's true as I'll get in the general sale then, booked flights and accom last night.
  29. Nov 30, 2018

Berbaclass Full Member

RM signed him?
  30. Nov 30, 2018

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Expected to join after the game yeah. Don't think its official though but as good as from reports.
  31. Nov 30, 2018

the_irish123 New Member

The correct punishment was to play without public in River, but Dominguez would never let the cash cow final to be played in such depressive conditions. This is what caused the shit show. If it was a Ro16 match none of this happens.
  32. Nov 30, 2018

Mibabalou Full Member

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'

Hey mate if you hear about ticketing or see what time its going on sale let me know, I'm very interested in going as well.

Cheers
  33. Nov 30, 2018

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
  34. Nov 30, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

Agree with you re: Boca, River and Independiente being a cut above the rest locally, but not really with that comparison.

I see absolutely nothing in common between Boca and Madrid, their origins/base and trajectory are rather different. If anything it's the other way around with River being more in line with Real ("Millonarios", accummulating star players, etc) and Boca somewhat being in their shadow until they dominated in more recent times (which Real have turned around again at CL level).

In any case, the only side that ever really had a Real-like Galáctico policy was Peñarol in the 60s. Tito Gonçalves (their captain and Uruguay NT captain) was called "Captain of Captains" because he had the captains of another 4 South American NTs playing alongside him.

Hard to replicate these days, I know, we can hardly hold on to any promising player past their 20th birthday :(
  35. Nov 30, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Definitely see the CL final being played in Tokyo in 5 years.
  36. Dec 1, 2018

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Absolutely disgraceful decision to play this outside south america. Peak banter to play the final of a cup named Libertadores in Spain :lol:

On the other hand, i will be in madrid that day, so it works for me :lol:

PS: if they really couldn't play this in SA, the best solution was to send the clubs back to their ancestral home of Genoa. Missed a trick there
  37. Dec 1, 2018

IFC 1905 Full Member

That was at the very begining, in the 30's where River broke the signing record 3 times in a row. But to be honest, and at least since I have memory of them, River is the one who has an attacking/barcelonesque football style (and historically) while Boca has always had this Madrid thing about winning from nowhere, looking unbeteable in the cups like Madrid does most of time. And as I said before, River produced and still produces many players that will go to Europe, the most recent case is Exequiel Palacios who will be a Real Madrid Player, but you've got Lamela, Lanzini, Dalessandro, Falcao, Alexis Sanchez, etc. While Boca has produced good midfielders (Riquelme, Gago, Banega, Leandro Paredes) but made their teams more based on the money.

Nowadays River brought Pratto by 11M USD which is absolutely crazy for Argentina's standards. So this money thing is almost equal, with Boca having the most expensive team at this Libertadores (followed by Independiente and Palmeiras with River coming in 4th place) according to Transfermarkt.
  38. Dec 1, 2018

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

River has typically been more free-flowing and Boca more robust and resilient, yes.

That doesn't make one akin to Barcelona and the other to Real any more than you can say River is like United and Boca like Chelsea or something like that.
  39. Dec 1, 2018

Fiyah Marshall New Member

Huge paintbrush! You should take broad strokes.

Some of the locals on both sides have already sold house &/or car to fund a trip. Once in a lifetime experience!
  40. Dec 1, 2018

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

Anyone who sells their house to go to a football match should be banned from the ground and taken immediately to an insane asylum.