Corners and other set pieces

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Di Maria's angel, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Mar 4, 2018

rpitchfo Full Member

I started a thread on corners a couple of years ago and got mocked for it but it's the one area of the game I'd like to see the next big rule change. You have no hope of scoring from a corner in general, all the evidence shows that. in my opinion a corner does not represent a fair trade off for the attacking intent that went into getting it ( which is why Barca just play it back). I'd love to see some new things, penalty corner if the ball goes behind the 18 yard box? Reduced defenders? I don't know but at the moment they are a waste of time.
  2. Mar 5, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

I agree with pretty much everything you said there. Would add that probably most of the fans think their club is shit at corners because there is a really small portion of clubs who are genuinely good at them.
  3. Mar 5, 2018

theREDMAN Full Member

I don’t know about you guys but I almost screamed in excitement last week when Alexis sent in a decent ball from a corner. One reason I dread corners is we don’t see consistent decent delivery. We all know it’s a crap shoot when it comes to scoring, but when good deliveries become consistent it ups the odds.
  4. Mar 5, 2018

desmondisback Banned

What about Pogba , Lukaku . Matic ? I do understand that heading ability isn't all about height and power etc but I would have thought that these 3 plus Smalling would be able to at least unsettle defences with their physical presence? I imagine most defenders aren't going to relish physically contesting for an aerial against any of these 3?

The irony of this is that Mourinho is known for having a "big" squad. I'm pretty sure we are under-utilising what we have.
  5. Mar 5, 2018

caid Full Member

I found some stats for defending set pieces a while back. I'll see if i can dig them up

6. Mar 5, 2018

Rifer Full Member

Corner is different than open play. Having the right physique is not enough if you want to score corner, need other qualities to go with it. Lukaku not so good at congested space and physical tussle, tend not to contest headers. Matic is not an accurate header, hardly a threat aerially. I like Pogba's effort in corner, he tend to contest for the ball on air, potential to get better but it's still hit and miss. Smalling often unsettles their defenders though, but since it's going out 9 times out of 10, hardly worrying.

Basically, physicality helps in attacking corner but not enough. However, having players with these physical presence helps more in defending than scoring corner. I agree we're underutilized though. If only the corner delivery would be more consistently good. No need to be great, but just enough to put into the dangerous area inside the box.
  7. Mar 5, 2018

Morpheus 7 Full Member

We are awful at corners, rarely beat the first man or we mess up a short one. This has been a problem for so long, I no longer think we will score when we get a corner.
    Really need to sort it out on the training ground. We could really benefit against sides that are poor at defending them, Liverpool being the perfect example. Not enough whip on them to even test a side. The free kicks are not much better, think Rashford is the best and it's not saying much. Need to test the keeper more. Think Sanchez can hit a good free kick but no excuses now, the team should be working better on the training ground. We need to take advantage of the height in the team.
  8. Mar 5, 2018

Jim Beam Full Member

Cheers. How old is that stats? And not sure what those percentage means, 37% of our total goals conceded came from set-pieces I assume?
  9. Mar 5, 2018

thegregster Harbinger of new information

10. Mar 5, 2018

caid Full Member

February 13th I wrote that post. So might have been missing a game or two at the time but its pretty recent. And yeah its a percentage of all the goals we concede
  11. May 4, 2018

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

All this height and we either overhit or underhit. This is easily the most frustrating aspect of our team.
  12. May 4, 2018

Acole9 Outstanding

We're an embarrassment on corners, pretty much a goal kick for the opponent. Are they all told not to beat the first man?!
  13. May 4, 2018

Irrational. Full Member

Rashford needs to be taken off corner duty, his driven corners are utterly shocking.
  14. May 4, 2018

willhse456 New Member

I actually thought Martial's corners were fairly decent. Why has it taken this long for him to take one?!
  15. Jul 7, 2018

FromTheBench Full Member

This world cup has shown importance of set pieces and particularly corners.

For a tall team United ought to work more on set pieces and convert a fair bit more.
  16. Jul 8, 2018

::sonny:: Full Member

Young and Rashord have to take them.
  17. Jul 8, 2018

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

I remember one year when Rooney and Van Persie were designated takers and United scored a bunch of goals. Never approached it with much seriousness since unfortunately. *insert pic of Phil Jones taking a corner*.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  18. Jul 8, 2018

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

Young should be the set piece taker. After all he was a winger who used to take them for Villa.
    Rashford doesn't do it for me.
  19. Jul 8, 2018

The Firestarter Full Member

It's not only who takes them, the actual prepared play is more important . Mourinho better call up Southgate for some ideas.
  20. Jul 10, 2018

cyril C Full Member

I think corner taking is more than just the delivers. First of all you have to talk about game plan and intent. I recall we took a short corner during 1 of LVG's game, at the 90th min, when we were a goal down. If the instruction was to take it slowly, pass it around, until you are absolutely certain that you can complete an attack run, then we can never score from a corner. Then you also need to consider the 3-4 attackers at the receiving end. I also recall Evra, not the tallest player, scored from corner.
  21. Jul 10, 2018

Robertd0803 Full Member

I actually cant remember the last corner we scored from.
  22. Jul 14, 2018

Liam13 New Member

When I watch United, Young will try and whip his foot around the ball from a set piece, but Mourinho needs to tell him to do the flatter delivery with his laces he does for England. They look so dangerous, and you have a big team who should be dangerous in the box (Matic, Lukaku, Bailly, Pogba, etc).

Rashford needs some time to get that technique consistent, when it works its fantastic, when it doesnt its useless.