Corruption in Belgian football?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by onemanarmy, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Oct 10, 2018

onemanarmy Full Member

There have been arrests and several house-searches related to an investigation on corruption and match-fixing in Belgium today. Pretty big story.

So far:

House-searches at Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Standard and Kortrijk. Genk and Gent also under investigation.
    Club Brugge coach Ivan Leko has been taken for questioning, he wasn't present at the training this morning.
    Agent Mogi Bayat has been arrested. He's been responsible for a ton of transfers last couple of years, especially at Anderlecht.
    Agent Veljkovic has also been arrested.
    Ex-Anderlecht manager Van Holsbeeck is also being interrogated.
    Several of our top referees are also mentioned.

Could have big consequences for all parties involved.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. Oct 10, 2018

Wednesday at Stoke Full Member

Supports:
    Time Travel
    The league could face a ban from UEFA competitions if this holds.

3. Oct 10, 2018

onemanarmy Full Member

Some more information:

As part of a survey conducted by the federal prosecutor's office, conducted by the magistrate in Limburg, 44 house searches are being carried out all over the country this morning. At the same time, at the request of the investigating judge, 13 house searches are also carried out abroad, in particular in France, Luxembourg, Cyprus, Montenegro, Serbia and Macedonia. The simultaneous interventions abroad were coordinated via Eurojust. In total, 184 police officers and 36 police officers participate in this action in Belgium.

One of the agents who's been arrested is friends with the 2 referees and the Club Brugge coach mentioned.
  4. Oct 10, 2018

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    There is no such thing as corruption free leagues. Not even the EPL is a tottally clean league. People need to remember that nowadays football is more seen as an entretaining show bizz than a sport, and that involves a lot of money and influences.
  5. Oct 10, 2018

Kostur Full Member

Well if Clattenburg was talking about creating a show then hey, not overly surprised. Thought Belgium would be about dodgy youth practices though for some reason, perhaps for their renowned coaching and training.
  6. Oct 10, 2018

RobinLFC Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Not surprising that Bayat is involved. It's supposed to be with respect to criminal organizations, corruption and money laundering, which is also not surprising and a pretty regular occurence in football imo. Only weird thing is that Delferière and Vertenten, two referees, are apparently involved as well although they're friends with another agent involved (Veljkovic). Vertenten is a radiologist, can't imagine he'd put his job and reputation on the line for a wee bit of extra money whilst he's already earning bucketloads.
  7. Oct 10, 2018

Thetouch New Member

Dodgy topic title though...
    Main issue being investigated is money laundering and avoiding taxes made on transfers by 2 agents which happen to be very powerful figures in Belgian football.
  8. Oct 10, 2018

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Mogi Bayat is one of the shadiest men in football
  9. Oct 10, 2018

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Watford should be worried. Their transfers from the Pro League will be scrutinized.
  10. Oct 10, 2018

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    You can basically say that from almost every chairman from all professional leagues.
  11. Oct 10, 2018

Vernon Philander Full Member

In before the Fellaini / Lukaku fraud comments
  12. Oct 10, 2018

onemanarmy Full Member

He's an agent, and a very shady one.

He also organized the Dendoncker transfer to Wolves but indeed, the Watford/Udinese links are obvious. Kums, Okaka, Oulare, and in a lesser amount Kabasele are/were very average players, who were sold for millions to Watford, represented by Bayat. All together about 25 million in fact, which are huge numbers in Belgium. Nantes is another club he works with often, resulting in weird transfers.

He always seems to represent "lost causes" to me. Decent players who have an ok-ish season in Belgium, want to leave for a bigger competition but no clubs are interested. Queue in Bayat and couple of weeks later they are abroad, often for a decent transfer fee too. One or 2 years later they are back in Belgium, often failed miserably.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  13. Oct 10, 2018

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    So, I guess some clubs from Portugal will also be screwed. I think Portimonense has some connections to the Watford / Udinese agents.

Btw, Delpoitre transfer to Porto was also a very shady business: 6M € + clauses for a tall clumsy player that basically not even NES knew what could he do with him. Is this a legitimate deal or shady as it could be?
  14. Oct 10, 2018

Fosu-Mens Full Member

And his brother owns Charleroi, or parts of it at least. Bayat holds as much power in the Belgian league as Mendes does in Portugal.

If i am not mistaken this investigation in Belgium is part of a larger investigation in 7 countries. I would not be suprised if there is some serious paper shredding going on in Watford and other clubs around Europe.
  15. Oct 10, 2018

onemanarmy Full Member

Depoitre is exactly the type of player I was talking about. Decent enough for the Belgian league, not even close to being good enough for a better one. And yet, big transfer fee...

Yeah, the people at Udinese and Watford will be worried.
  16. Oct 10, 2018

Fosu-Mens Full Member

Bebe? Current agent is Gestifute, but Mendes became his agent only days before the transfer to Manchester United.
  17. Oct 10, 2018

MuranoLover Full Member

Mendes and Raiola should be arrested , not the ones winnings a couple of bucks
  18. Oct 10, 2018

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    Mendes does the same with youth portuguese players: Bernardo Silva, Hélder Costa, ivan Cavaleiro, etc were all sold to Monaco for 15M€ each :lol:
    Bare in mind that the only player who was actually used as a starter at Benfica was Cavaleiro and Bernardo Silva was very young and inexperienced at the time. So, offering 15M for a player who did not even played one full game as senior is a bit shady imho.
  19. Oct 10, 2018

Arruda Love is in the air, everywhere I look around

Supports:
    Porto
    I don't understand this. Are radiologists supposed to be rich or something?
  20. Oct 10, 2018

Supports:
    Porto
    Gestifute is Mendes' company, he's still his agent.

As shady as Mendes is I think the Bebé transfer was just massive naivety on the part of United. I don't see SAF conspiring in a money laundering scheme of that sort, specially given that he actually used the player in competitive games.

Mendes probably just made a marketing ploy. A few days earlier the cover of A Bola was about Real Madrid being interested in Bebé (almost certainly fake news bought by Mendes). After the fever of Ronaldo and Nani I think United just jumped on what they thought was going to be the next big thing without really looking at the player.
  21. Oct 10, 2018

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He’s basically involved in, say, 70-80% of Belgian league transfers. Got his fingers in everyone’s pies.
  22. Oct 10, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Rich enough that you don't need to commit fraud in your pass-time anyway. But yes, they're regarded as rich and I'd wager they earn in the top percentages of the (Belgian) population.
  23. Oct 10, 2018

Supports:
    Porto
    Is he a doctor specialized in radiology or a radiology technician? If he's a doctor he can make a decent bit of money, but being 30 he must have just finished his residency so no way he's rich already. If a technician how don't see how he will ever be.

Anyway I see doctors around here risking their reputation all the time with illegal and unethical schemes, and, unsurprisingly, most times these are the richer ones. For many people, more money just generates more greed.
  24. Oct 10, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The second paragraph is true, sadly. I see Vertenten is a candidate-specialization at the moment, so not exactly there yet tbh yeah.
  25. Oct 10, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt Scouse Lover

I don't have any worries about big English clubs. The risks far far outweigh the rewards.
  26. Oct 10, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Even doctors earn chump change compared to the riches on offer in football. It depends what kind of lifestyle you aspire to.
  27. Oct 10, 2018

donkeyfish Full Member

Disgraceful. EPL should make a statement by suspending 2-3 Belgians to set an example. Like Hazard, De Bruyne and Alderweireld.
  28. Oct 10, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

Not Lukaku and Fellaini?
  29. Oct 10, 2018

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Allow me to suggest Mignolet and Origi...
  30. Oct 10, 2018

donkeyfish Full Member

:lol:
  31. Oct 10, 2018

Revaulx Full Member

:lol::lol:
  32. Oct 11, 2018

onemanarmy Full Member

So it appears the investigation focuses on different cases (roughly translated from Dutch):

DV (Dejan Velkjovic) would have set up constructions with KV Mechelen, Racing Genk, Lokeren, Club Brugge and Standard to pay for hidden commission for his activities as broker and for hidden payments for players on his roster.

AB (Mogi Bayat) would have manipulated the transfers of different players in order to maximize their own brokerage fees, constructing them to keep these manipulations hidden from the clubs and players involved, using legal entities in France, England and Luxembourg.

The investigation indicates that DV (Dejan Veljkovic), in consultation with 4 board members of KV Mechelen, would have influenced the result of 2 matches directly or through friendly contacts, which seems to have been made with referee BV (Bart Vertenten) and various board members of Waasland-Beveren. Games mentioned are Antwerp-Eupen and KV Mechelen-Waasland Beveren.

Two journalists are also involved. They influenced the ratings of referee (Bart Vertenten) performances in the newspaper.

A European arrest warrant has been issued abroad for 2 persons, eighteen people will be brought before the investigating judge later today.

Apparently, a lot of luxury watches were confiscated during the house searches, as well as packaging of luxury watches worth up to eight million euros. 800.000€ cash was confiscated in Serbia.