Could the right manager get Liverpool to constantly challenge for the league?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Wumminator, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Aug 12, 2017

Wumminator The Special One!

Simple question really.

Based on Liverpool's finances and place in the footballing hierarchy, is it possible to get them consistently challenging for the title?

I don't think they can. They don't have the finances, even if they won the title, their best players would be picked off.

What could a world class manager do at Liverpool realistically?
  2. Aug 12, 2017

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

A world class manager would do better recruitment even on a tighter budget than the Manchester clubs so yes they could but that's their problem attracting that world class manager in the first place
  3. Aug 12, 2017

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

I reckon Big Sam would do wonders there.
  4. Aug 12, 2017

thegregster Harbinger of new information

Klopp needs to bite the bullet and get rid of the dross like Lovren,Moreno,Henderson,Can,Origi etc.

Some of his signings haven't helped. They will all blame Moreno for today but Matip is rubbish. It's his job to organised the defense but he just can't do it.
  5. Aug 12, 2017

Someone Something

Challenge occasionally maybe, but to challenge consistently you need to have the financial pull to sign top players and keep your best ones, specially in the premier league.
  6. Aug 12, 2017

AshRK Full Member

When pochettino can make spurs challenge for the title ,surely a more clever manager than klopp can do it. He and Wenger should learn to be pragmatic. All this high pressing crap for 90 mins is not a smart tactics. This is why jose will always be a better manager than klopp,a pragmatic one.
  7. Aug 12, 2017

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Yes he could. Klopp could be that manager, but hopefully not.
  8. Aug 12, 2017

Wumminator The Special One!

Will Poch manage it consistently? We're already seeing the discontent it can cause when you're not a financial giant.
  9. Aug 12, 2017

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    This is nonsense.
  10. Aug 12, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Poch for me is a clever manager in comparison to klopp. It's funny after almost managing 100 games for Liverpool he still cannot teach them how to defend. What's the excuse will the klopp fanatics give now when this crap continues.
  11. Aug 12, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Care to explain.
  12. Aug 12, 2017

Glanville95 Full Member

As much as people love to hate Klopp. He is the best manager they have had in years, albeit he undeniably has his flaws. I don't think they can do a lot better than him tbh, they've done very well to get him in the first place.

But yes, they operate a tier below City, United and Chelsea - arguably Arsenal also. They just don't possess the financial clout to trouble the best over a consistent duration of time. Perhaps they'll win the league once soon, but that is likely to be an anomaly just like Leicester's title win.

Also their best players do get cherry-picked so they won't push on, invariably they tend to be Latin players also, Mascherano, Alonso, Suarez, Coutinho perhaps. It's no surprise that when Madrid and Barca come knocking they are going to have their heads turned. Perhaps the recruitment can be questioned.

They're just a club that will always meander around the top four and challenge every now and then. Like Arsenal.
  13. Aug 12, 2017

Bubz27 ACMarket employee

The debate Redknapp and Carragher are having here is funny. Redknapp says Van Dijk fixes it all. Carragher saying it's a system problem. They isolate their CBs too much in open play and play zonal marking.

I say it's Carragher who's right, which places the blame at the manager.
  14. Aug 12, 2017

RedFish Full Member

Feck you Verstappen.You fecked my Fantasy League.
    They could challenge for League 1 absolutely.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  15. Aug 12, 2017

Z_Wolf Banned

Klopp is the right manager for them. I think they'll be up there this season anyway.
  16. Aug 12, 2017

Bepi Full Member

Supports:
    Juventus
    Nah, this sort of player is instrumental to Kloppism imho so it is all the package really, himself included.
  17. Aug 12, 2017

Schneckerl Full Member

I wonder how many world class managers there are if neither of Mou, Pep and Klopp fit that category.
  18. Aug 12, 2017

Shuriken Banned

Haha Big Sam, what a fella. I actually agree though.

It could've been interesting to see him at a club with better resources than he's had previously in his career. After all, he can probably manage Real Madrid, never mind Liverpool… :D
  19. Aug 12, 2017

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    Sure.

Sir Alex dominated the league with a style of football that can't be classified as pragmatic at all. Pellegrini's City wasn't pragmatic at all.
  20. Aug 12, 2017

He's the right fit in that he'll always be second best but that's not really the point of the thread :lol:
  21. Aug 12, 2017

Minimalist Full Member

Nah it would be just as much a 'one off' as Leicester winning it - simply better odds on it.

Resources matter. Players matter.

A world class manager still needs top players and you need a lot of money to buy top players these days.
  22. Aug 12, 2017

Jose is certainly world class
    Pep will be judged on this season
    Liverpool should look at Ancelotti if he leaves Bayern next summer, I reckon he'd go there
  23. Aug 12, 2017

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

I really do think he's a hugely underrated manager and it would have been interesting to see what he could have achieved with a big club.
  24. Aug 12, 2017

Kapardin Full Member

Ancelotti won't work under the budget Liverpool operate with. Wrong fit for them.

If Klopp leaves, which I doubt, as he is the perfect manager to keep them yo-yoing in the Top 6 (their minimum target), it will be Benitez or *fingers crossed* Gerrard who takes over.
  25. Aug 12, 2017

Schneckerl Full Member

Anyone else or are there just two people in the world who are able to manage a club on a top level?
  26. Aug 12, 2017

Really? He's never striked me as a manager who spends tons of money, don't remember him spending loads at Milan, Chelsea, PSG, Madrid or Bayern
  27. Aug 12, 2017

Nogbadthebad Full Member

They have been having these defending problems for a decade or more, they had them when rafa was around. More than two dozen different centerbacks have played there under 4 or 5 managers, and they have struggled defensively through it all.

One defender bought from Southampton is not going to change all that.

Personally, I think its down to having a gung-ho midfield who leave the defenders wide open when they lose possession or try and defend set pieces, an issue since stevie-me, and expectation.

A lot of pressure on those players, many of them are not really expecting it I don't think, and most of them don't cope with it.Panic when things don;t go perfectly is also a trait going back more than a decade.
  28. Aug 12, 2017

Ish Lights on for Luke

I think if someone like Simeone was keen on a 10 year + stint there, he'd be able to, with their budget in mind.

Though this is all hypothetical of course.

SAF type managers will probably never be repeated again (success and longevity), but he basically had the recipe of success to win the epl nailed down, and it wasn't just continuously down to finances either.
  29. Aug 12, 2017

Of course there are others but they won't be available in the foreseeable imo
  30. Aug 12, 2017

AshRK Full Member

Lol sir Alex was the biggest pragmatic. He played according to the situation. Did u see us play against arsenal away or Liverpool away. He wouldn't play open and concede goals. He used to hit opponents on counters. He was a master of that and to say he wasn't pragmatic is a joke. He will hit on opponents weakness and take advantage of that. You cannot be dominant for 2 decades without adapting to the needs and being pragmatic.

Pellegrini won the league once and even that was thanks to gerrard and Scouse screwing up. If anything, the lack of pragmatism was his biggest flaw.

Point is you cannot just play one brand of football and hope everything works. Lvg was rarely pragmatic and that lead to his downfall. Pep is slowly learning it seems now, and that's why he has brought in physical players too. Klopp is not learning. He is more focussed on try to play high press and has no plan B. Have you ever seen a plan B with Liverpool. They play so open football, yes attack wise it looks good but when your defence is already crap and then you play such football for 90 mins, that is foolish to say the least.
  31. Aug 12, 2017

Kapardin Full Member

Those teams have had far better squads for him to work with. This Liverpool squad would be a no-go for him from the start, especially with the league more competitive than ever and he would want to spend like Pep is doing at City.
  32. Aug 12, 2017

entropy Full Member

How is Klopp not the right manager though? He is easily the most talented manager to have signed for liverpool in almost a decade. What else does one need? Do the clouds have to part and lighting strike twice as a forewarning for the right candidate?
  33. Aug 12, 2017

Shuriken Banned

For sure.

Hypothetically, do you think he would come back from retirement if Klopp would leave, or get sacked… for example?
  34. Aug 12, 2017

Rado_N Yaaas Broncos!

I don't think he'd be given the chance but yea in the hypothetical scenario where he was offered he'd almost certainly take it.
  35. Aug 12, 2017

EyeInTheSky Full Member

So basically if Liverpool weren't Liverpool ...

Even then no
  36. Aug 12, 2017

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    Not with that squad, no.
    Klopp, Jose, Pep, Ancelotti etc.. would all do about the same in very different ways.
  37. Aug 12, 2017

Alex99 Rehab's Pete Doherty Scout

Don't have the finances. A one off challenge every now and then perhaps, but not consistently. It's hard enough for the big money clubs to challenge consistently nowadays, so clubs without the financial backing to bring in top players don't stand a chance unless they get a miracle crop of youngsters.
  38. Aug 12, 2017

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Liverpool have enough money to win the league, they are just very dumb in the transfer market (like most English clubs). They should study Sevilla to see how you can build a very well functioning team on a limited budget.
  39. Aug 12, 2017

Eire Red United Full Member

Do you think so? It would be a serious coup for Liverpool if they could get him.
  40. Aug 12, 2017

Lentwood Full Member

This is going to come across as biased but my honest answer is no and their PL positions over the last ten years support me

Like it or not, they are now a 2nd tier club. When the top players go up for sale, they are nowhere near which means they are always relying on fantastic recruitment. They will pick up the odd Suarez and Coutinho but will lose them soon enough. This makes it difficult for them to get 11 top players together at any one time. Closest they came was under Rafa.

They will tell us different but I don't think any of their players, bar maybe Coutinho and Mane would get in our team - and we finished 6th!!