Cristiano Ronaldo - performances 2017/18

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by SirAF, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Oct 15, 2017

Peyroteo ahahahahah feck off dad!

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    That calendar year thing is massively overstated in relation to his stats due to 3 things. Having an incredible amount of penalties, playing a lot of games including friendlies and playing plenty of full games (90 minutes). Take friendlies and penalties out of the equation and consider minutes played instead of games played and Cristiano's numbers for the 2013 calendar year pretty much match those of Messi in 2012. Both in goals and assists, while playing for a worse team.

Messi has 30 goals less in 150 games less because Cristiano played many more games as a youngster than Messi while Messi's played more games than Cristiano at their prime. If you compare their prime years, Cristiano averages less minutes per goal while generally playing for a worse team, he has a pretty superior record goalscoring wise in the Champions League knockouts in comparison to Messi and he's also proved it in 2 different teams who set up differently in 2 different leagues while in 2007/08 he had what was arguably the best season ever by a Premier League player. So I do think Cristiano's the better goalscorer of the 2 even if their numbers are pretty similar.

As for who's the better player in general, that's really a lot more complex and it depends on how you look at it. I'd pick Messi over Ronaldo if my team was set up in a certain way and I'd pick Ronaldo over Messi if my team was set up another way. I'll just say Messi's ability to control games gets massively overstated in these arguments, he's a player of the final third just like Cristiano and his direct impact on his team's goals is why he is who he is. Barça control 95% of their games even if Messi isn't on the pitch and on those other 5% they aren't able to control them now that their midfield got worse. This idea that too many people have that Messi simultaneously controls games like Zidane, is as creative as Maradona and is a better goalscorer than Cristiano is simply not true. He's definitely been the best in the world so far this season though, no arguments there.
  2. Oct 15, 2017

Kinsella New Member

Of course, but most people place creation with the ball over creation without it.
  3. Oct 15, 2017

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

The bolded part is where a lot of people make a silly argument. Messi was 17 when he made his debut at Barcelona. Also if you compare goals for club and country for both from when Ronaldo scored 40 odd goals at United in the Ballon D’or year, then Messi scored more goals,whilst without including Ronaldo when he was still raw. Even though Ronaldo is meant to be the greatest goal scorer of his generation. He isn’t, Messi is.

Also you are saying take out Messi’s penalties? Ronaldo has taken 115 and scored 97, Messi has taken 98 and scored 77. If you take out penalties then Messi’s goals per game is even better compared to Ronaldo than it is with penalties.

Messi for a few years had to play up front with Suarez and Neymar sharing the goals. Madrid focused all their goal scoring through Ronaldo.
  4. Oct 16, 2017

Cal? I always Loyalty CR7

You can easily turn the same argument around and say that Messi only has a better record in the earlier years because Barca were dominating in Europe due to better colleagues. Having Suarez and Neymar next to him also helps him pad his assists stats.

The same could be said with other seasons where Ronaldo scored more and Messi won the big trophies, the awards are almost always based on the biggest trophies won.

We only need to compare Barca before and after Xavi's retirement and see that Messi isn't the only reason they dominated, in fact, most of that team won the WC for Spain without him.
  5. Oct 16, 2017

shahzadi Full Member

This thread has again become a “Ronaldo cs Messi” thread.

:wenger:
  6. Oct 16, 2017

The holy trinity 68 The disparager

Like I said before, if you only include them both from Ronaldos 40 odd goal season at United, Messi has scored more. Yes Messi has played more games but 10 of them come from this season and last. If you include goals and assists then Messi has a way higher ratio of being involved in goals per game. Take away assists and Messi still has a better goal per game ratio. It isn’t all about stats either, take them away and you can just see by watching them who looks better (even in the past).

I have seen Messi do things and it is like how did he do that. I don’t get that same feeling with Ronaldo even though Ronaldo has been one of my favourite players for years and Messi hasn’t. It isn’t as if I am a fan of one and not the other either. Ronaldo is and has been an exceptional player. Top 10 ever for me. But Messi is top 5 in my opinion.

Anyway who cares really, both are fantastic and it has been a joy to have them both playing at the same time. We wont get 2 players this good playing at the same time together again for a long time.
  7. Oct 17, 2017

SirAF Ageist

8. Oct 17, 2017

FC Ronaldo Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

Postaldo became penaldo! :drool:
  9. Oct 17, 2017

Nero Full Member

Closing in on 100 Real Madrid penalties.
  10. Oct 17, 2017

SirAF Ageist

:lol:
  11. Oct 17, 2017

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

12. Oct 17, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Vintage Ronaldo run just now.

Looked good tonight.
  13. Oct 17, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP

He forgot he was 32 there.

Very good game tonight, always turns up for these big CL games recently. He should have definitely scored another one though
  14. Oct 17, 2017

Treble Full Member

Wow, fantastic run by Ronnie.
  15. Oct 17, 2017

MalcolmTucker New Member

Still has great pace when he wants to use it - no surprise really when you think about how Robben's pace has held up despite his injury problems.
  16. Oct 17, 2017

SS Full Member

17. Oct 18, 2017

Cal? I always Loyalty CR7

Oh well, he’s saving it for the latter stages of the CL again, hopefully not against United
  18. Oct 18, 2017

RedRonaldo Full Member

That's a very nice run...
  19. Oct 23, 2017

Trizy Full Member

Fifa "the best" POTY.

Nailed on for Ballon D'or now! Siiii
  20. Oct 23, 2017

Zizo-17 New Member

Wonderful,wonderful playerwhen Messi won all those awards,so many people(even me who loves him dearly) said it is imposible for CR to win his second BDO and saying he must not join RM when he has to compeit with Barca!but he worked and wored ,...look at him now on course to win his fifth!just amazing
  21. Oct 23, 2017

wr8_utd :'(

Already?!
  22. Nov 9, 2017

Arbitrium Full Member

Apparently upset with Isco because he didn't thank him quickly enough for an assist? Where do people get these stories from?

His >1GPG ratio is under a little threat if his performances continue, I dont know if he would leave Madrid without that record being intact.
  23. Nov 9, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    8 goals in 13 appearances so far this season but 2 of those appearances were the supercup games where he played 10-15 minutes. Last season after 13 games he had 10 goals with the 13th game being the hattrick game against Atletico so it's not really any different. Poor league record so far but it will inevitably improve as he's playing well and Madrid will most likely get their shit together.
  24. Nov 12, 2017

JamesB__ Full Member

Supports:
    Stoke City
  25. Nov 12, 2017

Sammyjunn Full Member

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    His general play has improved much the last year imo.
  26. Nov 14, 2017

RedStrudel76 New Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ano-Ronaldo-Georgina-Rodriguez-baby-girl.html

She's pretty stunning after just giving birth !

I heard from a reliable source the other day that he shagged Hayley McQueen when she was at MUTV a few years ago, lucky git !

He should retire from Portugal National Team after next years World Cup, Figo retired around his age, he is playing non-stop for one of the biggest clubs in the World, has so much time spent doing marketing.. has a newborn child and young family..

When will Ronaldo put the breaks on his career and be savvy enough to prioritise Real Madrid in order to prolog his career?

Surely after next years World Cup he has to pass the baton on to the younger kids? he won't play another World Cup at almost 40 years old in the baking heat of Qatar.. and he's already won the Euro's.

Surely a proper, intelligent discussions is needed about this? I've not heard anyone mention him retiring.. probably with the daft idea he can go on playing for both Real Madrid and Portugal until he's 40.
  27. Nov 14, 2017

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    I can only see him retiring if we get to the final, which isn’t going to happen. Qualification for the Euros is a lot easier now so we can just rest him if he needs to, there’s no need for him to retire when he’s this important for us and he’s still very well physically.
  28. Nov 18, 2017 at 23:41

RedStrudel76 New Member

Is it time to start accepting the decline of Ronaldo is real and happening before our eyes? is his body finally breaking down physically? It's almost half-way through the season, it isn't like we are just a few games into the season. Maybe questions need to be asked.

People use to say he is in fantastic condition/shape etc that he can do a Giggsy and easily play on at the highest level until he's 40, but just because one player can do it doesn't automatically mean another can just because he has a buff body.

I'm not saying he's finished, but maybe he is showing signs he isn't as superhuman as people thought. Father Time waits for no man.

He's still scoring in the Champion's League, but it's against Cannon Fodder against teams who are tactically set-up for him to score goals, but let's see when he has to step it up against the Elite when the pressure of HIM to perform and single-handedly drag Real Madrid through is on.

I'd love to see Ronaldo in the MLS, I think he would be amazing for the league. He's getting too relaxed at Real Madrid, he doesn't have to fight for his spot, he's won everything twice at Real Madrid, getting paid loads.. where's the motivation and ambition to push him to achieve more!? a change of scenario might be what he needs to get the Old Ronaldo back.

No matter how many Ballon d'Ors he wins and comforts himself with at night or stats and records of how many goals etc he has scored he will never be valued, respected and rated above Messi as this generations standout player. That's a fact he will have to accept sooner or later.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 23:47
  29. Nov 19, 2017 at 00:12

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

I'd say he doesn't particularly give a shit about the league this year.

His focus is a european treble and the world cup
  30. Nov 19, 2017 at 00:48

Number1 New Member

Even 'IF' he's in decline and i highlight the word 'IF' as people have said this before and he won a Ballon d'or, there's still not many players in the world better than him even now!

His and Messi's longevity at the top, I've never seen anything like it in modern day football. Players like Ronaldihno have their legacy by having a fantastic 3 to 4 years. Messi and Ronaldo have been at the top (and still are the top) for the last decade.

No matter if he goes to shit tomorrow, for me Ronaldo has rightfully earned his place as one of top4 greatest players of all time alongside Pele/Maradona and Messi.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 00:54
  31. Nov 19, 2017 at 00:50

Zoo Full Member

1 goal from 55 shots in La Liga this season.
  32. Nov 19, 2017 at 01:06

VeevaVee despite the protests, wears Ugg boots

That big opportunity near the end tonight was rough. Really poor first touch then had the opportunity to cut it back in classic Ronaldo style instead of the telegraphed shot but fecked it.
  33. Nov 19, 2017 at 05:32

Theafonis In love with @Eboue

Supports:
    Chelsea
    They guy has had a quiet start to the season (by his own standard), almost starting to think Madrid may play better without him in the team.

It's just annoying that he'll scoop the Ballon D'or for a 4th time when there are more deserving players.
  34. Nov 19, 2017 at 13:54

Sparky10Legend New Member

Its ok, he'll score in semi final of CL and final and 70% of the caf will say he deserves the Dor again.

Rinse and repeat.
  35. Nov 19, 2017 at 14:00

SirAF Ageist

:devil:
  36. Nov 19, 2017 at 14:29

Ish Lights on for Luke

37. Nov 19, 2017 at 14:31

Supports:
    Sporting CP
    He had a better match than Messi yesterday who was well below his standards and yet there's still comments like these. He'll win the Ballon D'Or because he deserves to win the Ballon D'Or as much as it pains a lot of people
  38. Nov 19, 2017 at 14:34

Adisa Full Member

It's inevitable time will catch up. Turns 33 in a few months. How time flies.
  39. Nov 19, 2017 at 18:40

gibers Full Member

1 goal in 50 shots. *** efficiency. Even for Ronaldo's volume shooting this is truly shocking.
  40. Nov 19, 2017 at 18:41

gibers Full Member

Getting Out-sprinted by Juanfran