Critically panned games you enjoyed

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by KirkDuyt, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Oct 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    A not so subtle take on the Critically acclaimed games you couldn't get into thread.

I personally loved both Force Unleashed games and way back in the day Ultra man: Towards the future for SNES. Fecking loved that game, but apparently it's really bad.

So, come on bunch of video game hipsters, which panned titles did you enjoy because of your unique (shite) tastes
  2. Oct 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Never thought I'd find myself in the pityful situation of bumping my own 0 reply thread, desperately asking if no one has anything to contribute, but here I am.

Some other shite games I enjoyed:

Final fantasy X-2
    Dynasty Warriors (any really)
    All Guitar Hero games
  3. Oct 29, 2018

Redlambs Creator of the Caftards comics

Officially the best poker player on RAWK. Your cas
    Deadly Premonition.

I love that game :lol:
  4. Oct 29, 2018

Kaos Full Member

Yeeesss!

Though it’s not necessarily universally pannned by the critics, just heavily divided opinions. Reviews ranged from a 2/10 to a perfect 10 :lol:
  5. Oct 29, 2018

Slevs likes to play with penises

The Star Wars Force unleashed games.

I've just gotten a gaming pc after many years of not gaming and desparately wanted a star wars game.
  6. Oct 29, 2018

Cloud7 Full Member

Don’t think I’ve ever really played any games that were widely criticized and I ended up loving them. There are loads of games that are rated as average that I really enjoyed (Final fantasy XV, the two digimon story games on the PS4 etc) but none that were really rated as outright horrible.

Just wanted to give some contribution to keep things going @KirkDuyt :D
  7. Oct 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Thank you, :wenger:

Still havent played FFXV. Should I? I do love JRPGS, but I don't know, from 13 and it's 10 sequals onwards I kind of lost interest.
  8. Oct 29, 2018

Cloud7 Full Member

Honestly, it’s quite different to the usual JRPG. For one thing it’s real time combat running around an assigned area. The best part of the game for me was the relationship between the four heroes, I thought that was really well done. The visuals were quite good as well, and there are some really spectacular scenes. Storyline wasn’t as good as the top notch FF games like X, IX and VII, but I enjoyed it. Felt quite sorry for the villain when you really learn what happened to him.
  9. Oct 29, 2018

Siorac Full Member

I had a lot of fun playing SWTOR which was criticised by a lot of people for lacklustre endgame etc.

Can't think of anything else really. The gaming media has a habit of overhyping and overrating games but games that are widely panned are usually panned for a reason, I guess.
  10. Oct 29, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

Xena for PS1. Loved that game. Not sure if it was panned or not. Anyway, I really fecking loved that game.
  11. Oct 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I played that for quite a long time actually. Huttball and the battleground with the cannons was awesome.

The end game raids were a bit meh, but still, enjoyed it thoroughly.
  12. Oct 29, 2018

Siorac Full Member

Yes, Huttball and Alderaan Civil War! I really liked the PvP and I'm normally not a PvP guy at all. Got to something like rank 94 I think. Huttball was so much fun, so original. Knocking people into the firetraps never got old, or leaping to your friend at the end line to score.

Good times.
  13. Oct 29, 2018

padr81 Mr. MoneyBags

Supports:
    Man City
    AC: Unity... when that game got finished and most the bugs were killed imho it was a fantastic game.
  14. Oct 29, 2018

The Cat Full Member

I enjoyed Dragon's Lair even though most panned it.

Was cool being the guy in the arcade who could finish it and get surrounded by people watching.
  15. Oct 29, 2018

Twins Full Member

Came in to say that, it's such an awful game mechanically but what the hell, it's full of weird characters and feels just like Twin Peaks - the game. Absolutely brilliant experience.
  16. Oct 29, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

There was this weird co-op game that me and my friend thoroughly enjoyed. It was shit but we had a blast. Can't remember the name.
  17. Oct 29, 2018

Red-Man-Walking Fully Erect

The undisputed King of shit yet outstanding :lol:

18. Oct 29, 2018

Bill.s.preston Fluffybunnykins - needs to bulk up (with cake!)

Captain America and the Avengers on the Megadrive?
  19. Oct 29, 2018

Welsh Wonder A dribbling mess on the sauce

Best thing about FFXV was getting stoned irl and salivating over the food on the game
  20. Oct 29, 2018

Zlatattack Full Member

Re-Volt. I don't think it got panned, but it never went big. I really enjoyed it though. It was a racing game where you raced toys in the streets, or around the house. Just a lot of fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-Volt
  21. Oct 29, 2018

Mrs Smoker Full Member

Supports:
    Panthère du Ndé
    Starcraft, got panned for its stupid story back in 1990some in one of our PC magazines.

I love it tho.
  22. Oct 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    I still play Starcraft with mates, but I'm quite sure Starcraft is one of the most critically acclaimed RTS games in history isn't it?
  23. Oct 29, 2018

Siorac Full Member

Oh, if that's how we do this then Football Manager. I read a review which complained that it was just a lot of numbers and you can't actually go and play football in the game.
  24. Oct 29, 2018

Alex99 Rehab's Pete Doherty Scout

I remember reading a review of X-Men: Next Dimension on PS2 that gave it either 0 or 1 out of 10, with the tag line reading, "Piss Poor" but I loved it.
  25. Oct 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Ohh I remember Spider man / X men Arcade's revenge. That was apparently shite too, but I loved it. I do remember having to do the fecking annoying first level everytime you went game over.
  26. Oct 29, 2018

Wittmann45 Full Member

I loved playing Star Wars: Shadows of Empire. Kind of remember that it was not the most well received game, but I can't really remember the general perception. The Battle of Hoth level at the beginning was fantastic, and the speeder bike level was nearly impossible to control, but I loved it for some reason
  27. Oct 29, 2018

ArmandTamzarian Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Asassins Creed Unity - I bought this on a discount long after all the glitches got fixed, thought it was pretty good.

The Order 1886 - was a previous generation game gameplay-wise and a little on the short side but with gorgeous graphics, strong voice acting and a decent storyline. Definitely a few mis-steps made making this but on the whole I had fun with it & thought it was a good oul jaunt.
  28. Oct 29, 2018

Ainu Full Member

Not sure you're doing your own thread justice with this post to be honest. Final Fantasy X-2 wasn't anywhere close to being critically panned, in fact most critics rated it in the 80's and even low 90's. The battle system especially received a lot of praise and is still regarded as one of the best in the series. As for Guitar Hero, the first couple of games have a meta critics score in the 90's, they were generally seen as excellent and original games back then.

The Order 1886 would be a better shout. The critical reception was lacklustre at best and often pretty scathing. I enjoyed it for what it was.
  29. Oct 29, 2018

Chairman Steve Full Member

I’d say I loved Carmageddon 2 for PC when it was panned. The physics engine and damage mechanics in it were extremely good for when it came out in around 1999 or 2000. Its soundtrack was comprised of Iron Maiden tracks and I thought it was an all round awesome game.

I also liked Robot Wars: Arenas of Destruction for PS2... I’d say I loved that because I really liked Robot Wars back then and I only wanted to play with the official licensed robots they had, rather than create a crappy looking generic robot that the game ultimately wanted you to do, to compete against other crappy looking generic robots. I’d probably hate it now because of the random immobilisations of robots with no warning and no way to seemingly combat against it, which did happen in real life but mad annoying in a video game.
  30. Oct 29, 2018

SquishyMcSquish Full Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I enjoyed playing Ryse: Son of Rome.

Though .. that may be mostly down to the fact I got it free. Sure, it was a mindless hack and slash, but it looked good and I had fun. The cheesy ahistorical nature of it made it a good laugh.
  31. Oct 29, 2018

Cnaiür urs Skiötha Full Member

I enjoyed most Hack‘n‘Slay games like Viking, The First Templar, The Cursed Crusade, Hunted, Knights Contract etc.
  32. Oct 29, 2018

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Dante's Inferno was quite good as far as hack n slash games go. Very obvious God of War ripoff, but still.
  33. Oct 29, 2018

DrRodo Full Member

I loved jurassic park for SNES but apparently the critics said it was a shit game. Now its some sort of cult game it seems

Also Doom 3 was great for me it was slow paced and terrifying
  34. Oct 29, 2018

Cnaiür urs Skiötha Full Member

Dante‘s Inferno has been great. I think it did pretty well in the reviews though.

I really liked the atmosphere of it.
  35. Oct 29, 2018

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Supports:
    United!
    Thanks.
  36. Oct 29, 2018

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

I remember this as a completely different game. Now I've got to go look for it
  37. Oct 29, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

FF X-2 was definitely not panned critically, whilst it was definitely not the most popular release at the time. It's still a decent, light-hearted game (makes sense if you know the previous story) with fun combat.
    Pretty sure at the time there was an element of basement-dwelling neckbeards with zero craic having an issue with three main female characters causing backlash online.

To be fair that element has only grew in recent years I suppose (see SWs).
  38. Oct 29, 2018

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

The Legend of Dragoon ended up with 74 on metacritic by reviewers and is more correctly placed at 9.2 by players.

Shadow hearts on 72 by critics instead of 90 where it should be.

As for FFX-2 it was disliked because of the battle-system, not because of a woman as the main character. One of the most beloved and highest rated jrpgs of all time, FF6, had a woman as its main character.

But then again, I can't expect someone who hates FF8, 10 & 12 to know what a good game is.
  39. Oct 29, 2018

Minimalist Full Member

That's not what I said. It was three female characters (only) and it was very light-hearted compared to the regular series.
  40. Oct 29, 2018

Ødegaard formerly MrEriksen Scout

There will always be small groups of people spewing shit online. The neckbeards who were doing so because of the all-female cast aren't representative for why the game wasn't seen as good amongst the fanbase.