Croatian NT

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Ban, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Aug 15, 2018

Ban Full Member

I'm not sure how many posters this thread will attract but I'll give it a go.

Despite some talk about him leaving Dalić is staying which is obviously great. He has some disagreements with the FA and claimed some people there wanted to kick him out (bunch of cnuts) but Šuker gave him the support.

3 legendary players already retired, Ćorluka, Mandžukić and Subašić. Every one of them a legend in their own right. Ćorluka was the first name at CB position long time, before that he played as a RB. didn't make a fuss about being phased out, on the contrary acted like a leader from the bench and players looked up to him.
    Mandžukić is the 2nd best scorer in our history with 33 goals, behind Šuker. Always gave his all, a warrior and beloved by Croatian fans and fans of most clubs he played for, especially Juventus. Role model of a player.
    Subašić saved 4 penalties in the WC, what else to add. Represented Croatia in 3 major tournaments and overall a great keeper. Also really popular among other players.

We have players who can jump in instead of those 3 but the main question is are they the last ones to retire. Hopefully Rakitić and especially Modrić won't follow suit. Luka will play 2 more years I hope although we need to make sure our team has life after him so to say.
  2. Aug 15, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Who do you have coming through post this quality set of players?

Would like to see a Croatian at United for you.
  3. Aug 15, 2018

izec Full Member

I understand Corluka and Mandzukic, but why did Subasic retire? He is only 33 and thats pretty young for a GK
  4. Aug 15, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Modric will surely call it a day as well will he not?
  5. Aug 15, 2018

Ban Full Member

We have young Kramarić and Santini who is pretty good in Belgian league. Also some even younger ones who I can't remember. :D not sure if Kalinić will ever get called again.
    As for keepers, Lovre Kalinić will be a new number one and he's a pretty good keeper. Also there's Livaković from Dinamo is nr. 2.

As for Luka and Rakitić if they retire we don't have anyone to replace them. We'll need to completely change our ways so to speak.

Hooefully I'll se a Croatian in United shirt in my lifetime. :)
  6. Aug 15, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Who would you suggest would be a good signing for United in the future? Being objective of course!

I like the team ethos that seems to run through the NT. Alot of underrated quality too with Perisic being a prime example.
  7. Aug 15, 2018

Thomas A.Anderson Full Member

Well, short term Perišić would be a great addition at RW, he's better than Mata and Lingard. But that ship probably sailed.

In the future it's tough to say, I don't really see somebody like Modrić or Rakitić who can be world class. Maybe Nikola Moro and Lovro Majer, but it's a long way for them. It's a shame that Pjaca had that serious injury.
  8. Aug 15, 2018

No Idea For Nickname Full Member

Today I heard that Luka and Rakitić are next. Not sure about Rakitić.
    Yes, love that kid, if he can avoid injuries, he can be excelent player. Looking forward to see what Benković can do in PL, for now only because of his last name!:D:angel:
  9. Aug 15, 2018

Ban Full Member

As @Thomas A.Anderson said I still maintain Perišić would be a great addition but thats a past.
    Right now I think Kramarić would be a great buy. Can play on the wing but he's best as a striker, can play behind the striker too.

Also Moro is a good shout too.
  10. Aug 16, 2018

LolYo New Member

Croatian here. We"ll be more than fine, I think. We got some really good young players coming up and some of them will surely develop into real quality over the next few years.
    The player I really like is Filip Krovinovic of Benfica, was arguably their best player last year and remember reading a stat last year that they won pretty much everything with him, lost many games without him so clearly he meant a lot to their team. If he has another good season this year, no reason not to, he"ll be on his way to big leagues.

Modric looks bound to retire but really hope Rakitic decides to stay, at 30 he still has another world cup in him perhaps.
    If Kovacic pans out at Chelsea, along with Rakitic, Brozovic, Krovinovic, thats still a pretty good midfield.

As for other positions, might be in minority here but I prefer Kramaric as a striker over Mandzukic. Other options are Livaja, Santini, maybe even Brekalo, more of a winger perhaps though.

At left back we should be much improved with Sosa and Barisic.

As for wingers, plenty of talent there, too. Hope Pjaca and Halilovic bounce back, Vlasic has a lot of talent.
    Ante Coric just signed for Roma, great talent.
    Majer, Moro, too. Balic and Rog, who knows.

We need Kovacic and Krovinovic to develop into genuine world class and at least one of these players I mentioned above which is likely I think and we"ll be a really good team for Euro 2020 and World Cup 2024.

The way I see it personally, most imminently, Krovinovic is the next big thing out of Croatia and we should keep tabs on him, other players I mentioned might take a few more years but Krovinovic is ready to blow up right now. Perhaps Pjaca too. Long shot would be Halilovic as all the talent is there but his head doesnt seem to be screwed on straight for whatever the reason.
  11. Aug 16, 2018

Ban Full Member

@LoIYo great post. Personally I think both Halilović and Ćorić wasted their talents already. Their head is the problem, they think they've already done it all.
  12. Aug 16, 2018

It's to early to tell for Ćorić, Dinamo isn't exactly a healthy environment. At least it wasn't till this summer.

Yeah, Krovinović had a fantastic season and then that big injury came, hopefully he can bounce back.
  13. Aug 16, 2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Quality side who need an overhaul now. Who are the best players coming through?
  14. Aug 16, 2018

LolYo New Member

Too many to name honestly and you never know with those things, some pan out, some dont, circumstances happen etc but if I were a betting man, I see Krovinovic of Benfica and Brekalo of Wolfsburg breaking out this year and moving to bigger teams.
    Brekalo is a speed demon, might absolutely break out this year.

The way I look at it, we are a staple in world football, not a one hit wonder.
    Think it wont be too much of a rebuild and should be a fairly easy transition especially if Kovacic can successfuly fill in for Modric. Its a big ask but if he can do it, we're back in business lol. Its of huge importance that Kovacic really establishes himself at Chelsea.

Most importantly perhaps, the team will finally have a bit of stability as coach Dalic decided to stay and Mamic shouldnt be as much of a burden going forward Its unfortunate but that whole thing probably cost us quite a bit in the past.

Last decade we had a really dominant midfield but going forward I think we will be really good out wide. Many of our young prospects are speedy wingers now.
    Also, we have some really good talented defenders, too.
    Gotta take the wait and see approach but given how manh talented youngsters we have, I'd say the odds are that at least a few of them will hit their stride as early as this season.

So yeah, there's some if's there obviously but nothing out of reach IMO.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  15. Aug 16, 2018

1950 New Member

GK: Lovre Kalinić (28, Gent) should take over the number one spot. Arguably on the same level as Suba already with better reflexes. Some talents next in line could be Livaković (23, Dinamo), Letica (21, Brugge), Posavec (22, Hajduk, on loan from Palermo) and Šemper (20, Chievo, on loan from Dinamo).

CB: The least problematic area imo. Lovren and Vida have some years left in the tank and there are quite a few talents with real potential in Ćaleta-Car (22, Marseille), Benković (21, Leicester), Pongračić (20, Salzburg), Kalaica (20, Benfica B), Katić (21, Rangers) and also Jedvaj (22, Leverkusen). Mitrović (24, Brugge), Milić (24, Anderlecht) and Elez (24, Hannover) should not be written off either.

FB: The forever problematic left-back position needs a major upgrade, but Sosa (20, Stuttgart) is not quite ready yet. Barišić (25, Rangers) could get a chance, maybe Mamić (22, Rijeka) as well. Vrsaljko has the right side on lockdown, but there doesn't seem to be much coming after. Jedvaj is an option if he can get out of his slump and Juranović (23, Hajduk) if he takes the next step.

CM: Pašalić (23, Atalanta, on loan from Chelsea) is getting whored out as an eternal Chelsea loanee, but at least he's getting minutes, while Rog (23, Napoli) is being wasted in Naples. Balić (20, Udinese) is finally starting to get some game time as well. Bašić (21, Bordeaux) just got a move while Moro and Šunjić (21 and 20, both Dinamo) should stake a claim in the coming season or two. There is also Bistrović (20, CSKA), who is apparently rated highly and the obvious candidates from the WC squad (Kovačić, Brozović and Bradarić), who are in their mid-twenties.

AM/WF: Ćorić (21, Roma) and Halilović (22, Milan) need to prove that they have the right menality. Brekalo (20, Wolfsburg) is probably the biggest attacking talent in Croatia. Pjaca (23, Fiorentina) and Krovinović (22, Benfica) have been set back by injuries unfortunately and then there are also Vlašić (20, CSKA, on loan from Everton), Majer (20, Dinamo) and Ivanušec (19, Lokomotiva).

CF: I think Mandžukić will be the biggest loss. Kramarić (27, Hoffenheim) is great, but the system needs to be adjusted to get the best out of him. Rebić (24, Frankfurt) might move to the centre as well. In the short-term Santini (29, Anderlecht) will surely be called up for his great form. Livaja (24, AEK) is a bit of a maverick, but could still make it if he finally sorts his head out. Not sure if there are any youth players in this position who have what it takes.
  16. Aug 16, 2018

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Thanks @1950 and @LolYo. I thought Croatia was a bit done after the WC, as i didn't know well the players who were coming through the national team :)
  17. Aug 16, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    How does a country of 4 million consistently produce so many quality footballers.
  18. Aug 16, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

Just a hunch that might be completely wrong but I'd imagine a really streamlined and efficient system overall.

You've got less players to filter through to get the real top quality which means more time spent individually on development and more focus on the right skills for each player.

If you're only working with a small pool then that small pool will get more time.

Plus there'll be an underlying level of quality and coaching methods and direction that they aim to keep going.
  19. Aug 16, 2018

No Idea For Nickname Full Member

It's the food we eat, water we drink and air we breathe.

Great posts @LolYo and @1950. Btw, were you born in 1950?:wenger:
  20. Aug 16, 2018

And you are completely wrong.

We don't have any kind of system whatsoever, I'm not kidding. Croatian FA is so corrupt and full of imbecils it's a miracle that they can find their headquarters every morning. To have a functional system you need to have professionals, long term plans, education. In Croatia - one big no.

What's the trick? Biology. Genes. Not only in football, we have world class athletes in basically every sport, without any financial backing or system.

This part of world produces kids with giant natural ability and talents and those that are lucky escape to Germany/Austria/Spain/USA/Australia.... so that they can properly develop.
  21. Aug 16, 2018

I imagine he's a Hajduk fan.

My condolences.
  22. Aug 16, 2018

matherto ask me about our 50% off sale!

For some reason I'd completely forgotten about how corrupt the Croatian FA were, I know it's been covered on here, perhaps by yourself and definitely the other Croatian members.

Cheers for the clarification though. Didn't realise you were so proficient in other sports too.

Your genes make for beautiful women I know that much :drool:
  23. Aug 16, 2018

artursk New Member

There is something about the whole region.. Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, etc. Not only in football but also basketball and other sports. Don't want to be unpopular but I imagine a united Yugoslavia would totally dominate in quite a few sports nowadays.
  24. Aug 16, 2018

Demyanenko_square_jaw Full Member

Much better football culture than many other smaller Euro countries and less well off than many too, a lot more emphasis still on youth succeeding in life through Sport. Had enough success in the bigger leagues over a long enough period of time going back to players being allowed to move abroad eventually in Yugo days, that they are firmly entrenched in the top 5 league scouting systems.

They've reached that point as a small country where they don't actually need to produce excellent players anymore to draw notice, just your typical teenage\early 20s talents get snapped up en masse and then the German\Spanish\French etc system does the heavy lifting in turning them into international\world class players. You end up with a constantly enlarging pool of talent for the NT to pick from, even though like some of the Croat posters mentioned..they don't actually have greatly well organised set ups at home.

I think most of the Balkan countries had the footballing tradition and potential to get into this cycle, but Croatia are the only one to really maximise it in a way that has consistently benefited the NT, they deserve a ton of credit for that. The Serbs have failed there so far despite being similarly integrated as a scouting destination, and others like Romania have just been dragged down by all the corruption and disorganisation in their football setups.
  25. Aug 17, 2018

LolYo New Member

Also we will soon impose huge tarrifs to the US over Pulisic :)
  26. Aug 17, 2018

1950 New Member

I was born in 1911.

Maybe I should scratch Posavec off the list, now? :nervous:
  27. Aug 17, 2018

Ban Full Member

Imagine us if we had a system actually. :)

Up until recently we had problems producing fullbacks cause most teams played 3-5-2. Same with wingers, our youth systems were always a step or 2 behind what's happening in the world.
    Although right now except for Pjaca and Perišić we don't have true wingers imo. More AMFs or strikers which can work on the wing. Even without a system we qualify for nearly every major tournament and are a respected NT.
    In any case I don't expect done big crisis. Qualification to the Euro should be easy and the main thing is Dalić is staying.

BTW great, great post @1950. :)
  28. Aug 26, 2018

LolYo New Member

Who do you guys think will be our next striker? Livaja, Santini or Kramaric?

I gotta say, I watched Livaja a bit for the first time this week and I was shocked how good of a player he's become..or maybe always has been, dunno, never paid any attention to him before....but he's a pure player.
    Can someone tell me how the heck he never played for the national team before and how the heck he never made it to a big team?
    I know he had some attitude issues but he's still young and damn, does he have quality.

At times he seems like Modric in his ball retention ability, ability to dribble and pass ...yet he's a striker.

I mean, was I seeing it right, did he always have that ability or I havent seen enough of him.
    Either way, if he keeps it up, hard for me to imagine anyone else starting instead of him...and also he will get sold to a big club, if he keeps up the good play
  29. Aug 26, 2018

Mustinjo New Member

Saying he had some attitude issues is really putting it mildly. :D

https://m.24sata.hr/tagovi/marko-livaja-81942
    I mean just scroll through some of these headlines, you don't even need to read full articles. :lol:
  30. Aug 26, 2018

LolYo New Member

Ok lol..so he had a bunch of attitude issues lol.

But the player I saw was amazing. Again, didnt really watch him before but his talent isnt questionable, right?
    I mean I saw a player thats a striker, can score and does score but also his technique, he seems like he can be a deep lying midfielder lol, that he can control games with his pasing, ball retention etc..

Is my assessment good or maybe it was just one game? Cuz I mean if he calms down and gets his attitude isses sorted, what a player, eh.
  31. Aug 27, 2018

Ban Full Member

Krama should be the next strikers but he can plan on the wing too so a good chance for Livaja and Santini too. It seems Livaja has finally settled at AEK so hopefully he'll seize his chance. He's a good striker, more than enough quality for our man up top.
  32. Aug 27, 2018

Mustinjo New Member

You're not wrong, he is really talented and there's a reason Inter bought him as a teenager.

I was really impressed with a kid from CSKA, Bistrović. He is only 20 and I think he has a great future, expect him to end up in a top club in a few years.
  33. Aug 27, 2018

Acrobat7 Full Member

It’s actually 4.2m plus a further 2.5m in the diaspora. So rather 6.7m than 4m but nonetheless impressive.
  34. Aug 29, 2018

Mustinjo New Member

35. Aug 29, 2018

Ban Full Member

He can't help it.:lol:
  36. Sep 11, 2018

Bojan11 Full Member

So 6-0 down to Spain. What's going on?
  37. Sep 11, 2018

NewMember New Member

They’re obviously not this bad, have some real quality players. But they lucked out making it to the finals with the easiest route possible to the finals and then won most of them on penalties. Once Spain went out in the other bracket, you knew some bang average team was going to make it to the finals.
  38. Sep 11, 2018

Bola New Member

Not seen the game, but a shocking result against a Spanish team that is in a period of transition. No shame in getting beat away from home, but 6-0 and counting is awful.

A few new players in the starting line-up, but not far from the team that made the finals. Have they had a change of system that has messed the team up? Or has the squad just suddenly grown old?

Puts some of the results into context. Maybe shows how close England really were to a world cup final (had we gone 2-0 would the Croats have folded?). While it highlights that England have progressed, if they were unfairlycheated out of a draw with practically the same Spanish team on Sat.
  39. Sep 11, 2018

andyjgt1 Banned

Supports:
    Man City
    It seems to be a pattern, they reach their peak at the tournaments in years ending in 8, and have their worst performances in the subsequent qualifiers.

1998 World Cup - 3rd
    2000 Euros - DNQ (in a group containing "Yugoslavia", i.e. Serbia and Montenegro, and Ireland)

2008 Euros - QF, but were probably the 2nd best team in the tournament (they were better than Turkey, to whom they were unlucky to lose on pens after conceding a last-minute equaliser in ET, and beat Germany, who beat Turkey in the semi, in the group stage - Germany CB Arne Friedrich even said he was pleased not to be playing them in the semi)
    2010 World Cup - DNQ (group contained England and Ukraine; Serbia did qualify top of a group containing Spain btw, and Slovenia even qualified, beating Russia in a playoff)

2018 World Cup - 2nd
    2018-19 Nations League, 2020 Euros - ?
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  40. Sep 11, 2018

Ban Full Member

Maybe we needed that. After 20 minutes we disappeared.

Of course 3 players retiring didnt help plus we were missing Kramarić, Lovren and Rebić but nevertheless it was disgraceful. Hopefully we will come back from this in the next games and be ready for the Euro qualifiers which is where it's at.
    It doesnt work like that.