Croatian NT

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Ban, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Sep 12, 2018

gaucho_10 Full Member

The moment Vrsaljko went out it was over. Rog is a CAM and without even a half-natural defender on the right it was complete chaos on the pitch.

Is that so hard to see? It isn't but butthurt English fans want to feel good about their team losing to Croatia in Russia so they say Croatia sucks.
  2. Sep 12, 2018

soccerMad New Member

They are going to have the international break anyway (friendly), so they come up with these. ;)
  3. Sep 12, 2018

LolYo New Member

No Lovren, no Vrsaljko. The backbone of defense. Lovren is so underrated, seriously. He is really good most of the time but when he makes a mistake, he makes really boneheaded mistakes but still, irreplacable in Croatian squad. When Vrsaljko was in the game, he set up 2 chances which should have been two goals.

Also Rebic was missed. His pace and work rate.

Croatia isnt deep. They cant just play without their starters and easily replace them. In that sense yes its not exactly a tier 1 team but at full strength it is. Its a team very dependent on being at full strength.

One takeway for me was that replacing Mandzukic will be so hard and I wasnt a fan of him really, thought he was overrated. Boy was I wrong, theres a reason coaches love him. Especially given the Kalinic situation, it really sucks.
    Maybe I'd just play Rebic there. Pjaca on the right wing. Or Rebic on the wing, Kramaric as a striker. But we need that pace and work rate. Kovacic was lost on the wing.

Something was just terribly off yesterday. We beat Spain with our 2nd team 2 years ago. Something just went badly wrong last night.
  4. Sep 12, 2018

FootyCrew New Member

You are overrating too much the past...i mean too much.

The only world cups much better than Russia 2018 were Mexico 70, Mexico 86, and France 98, the rest were meh (refering to average team quality)

Hell, i can't event count Germany 74, because aside of Germany,Netherands, and Poland...the rest of the teams were not so good.

Past is only good when talking about films and music...not sports.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018
  5. Sep 12, 2018

Pastore27 New Member

Supports:
    Paris Saint-Germain
    What ? I have no recollection of this, pretty sure it never happened.
  6. Sep 12, 2018

1950 New Member

And on the left. :wenger:

The 0-1 was defended shoddily by Pivarić & Brozović, but it was also a nice play by Spain, great ball by Ramos, great cross by Carvajal & a great run & header by Saúl. Fair play.

The 0-2 was down to nerves, the 0-3 was very unlucky. After that it was game over. 0-6 sounds terrible, but looking at it closely, there is no need to panic yet. With the missing injured players and those off on U21 duty, it should look a lot better. So far, Santini & Livaja don't seem able to replace Mandžukić though, as I feared.

And I don't understand the Rog experiment at all. He's not even playing for his club. Shouldn't be near the squad, never mind in a totally alien position.
  7. Sep 12, 2018

PepG Full Member

Supports:
    Ajax
    France beat Bulgaria 3:1 at Euro 1996, but Spain beat Bulgaria 6:1 at the World Cup in France 1998.
  8. Sep 12, 2018

gaucho_10 Full Member

Same here. It was a wtf moment when I saw his number on the board.
  9. Sep 12, 2018

promisedlanchiao New Member

If Kane hadn’t had the worst miss of his life in that game, we’re in the final. And even with the likelihood that France would have bummed us just like they did to Croatia, its a final and anything can happen. Sad just to think about it.
  10. Sep 12, 2018

promisedlanchiao New Member

I say and believe that Croatia are a good team, but wouldn’t other “butthurt” England fans prefer to say that we lost to a good team anyway also if we wanted to feel better?
  11. Sep 12, 2018

Gio 4 times Redcafe Draft Winner

Post World Cup hangover results are common fare, especially for a team that punched a little above its weight and whose smaller pool is vulnerable to fitness or motivation dips. A few other examples:

August 1998 - France 2-2 Austria
    September 1998 - France 1-1 Iceland
    August 2002 - Brazil 0-1 Paraguay
    August 2006 - France 3-1 Italy
    September 2010 - Argentina 4-1 Spain
    September 2014 - Germany 2-4 Argentina
  12. Sep 12, 2018

Bola New Member

While I was very happy with England, I can't help but think it was a missed opportunity. We were by far the best team in the 1st half and dominated then more than they did to us in the 2nd (a literal game of two halves).

Anyway, im derailing the thread. Bad stuff last night from the Croats, is this the start of 3 - 6 years in the wilderness?
  13. Sep 12, 2018

Ban Full Member

Yeah no. Your 1st paragraph is wrong. You didn't dominate us in the 1st, especially not more then we dominate you in the 2nd. You were slightly better but in the 2nd half and in OT there was just one team on the pitch.

And no there will be no wilderness.
  14. Sep 12, 2018

MJJ Full Member

How long is krovinovic injured for?
  15. Sep 12, 2018

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Yes,You are right,I was checking and that match didn't exist :nervous::lol:.
    They were talking about teams failing in friendlies after a good participation in WC and named that match as the end of Bulgaria but I guess that I misunderstood
  16. Sep 13, 2018 at 07:16

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Everyone can have a bad day at office. They are a quality side who will be fine. Maybe they just lack a bit of depth.
  17. Sep 13, 2018 at 15:51

LolYo New Member

Think he's fine now. Looking to make a return in october. Even though our midfield is stacked, I do hope Krovinovic gets decent minutes.

In a way it might have been better if Modric and Rakitic retired so we do the complete overhaul (I know I know, not a popular thing to say).

Krovinovic can hopefully play as a number 10 so we can push Modric back to the number 6 role where he is most comfortable and where he is truly elite. As a number 10 he's alright but we lose out in posession and he isnt really at his best.

I would like to try Modric-Rakitic-Krovinovic.

Hope for a full recovery cuz Krovinovic can play and he's a very creative player.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2018 at 16:06
  18. Sep 14, 2018 at 09:31

LolYo New Member

So according to index, Dalic will try out something that I very much support and was thinking along the same lines.
    He will try Rebic as a striker and will call up Brekalo from the youth team to replace Rebic on the wing.
    I support this for numerous reasons, number 1 being that we will have so much pace that way and we"ll be able to press teams all game long.
    Both Rebic and Brekalo are marathon runners so to speak, Rebic is a bull and Brekalo is just a ridiculous athlete, he would have had success in athletics had he not taken up football..

We got to find the right combination of players but this I think is something that will work.
  19. Sep 14, 2018 at 12:02

Ban Full Member

Good call, we need both Rebić's aggression and pace up front.

We need to find a Vrsaljko backup from somewhere too.
  20. Sep 14, 2018 at 16:09

1950 New Member

Yes, I like the sound of that as well. Rebić should be a better fit for our pressing trio upfront than Santini/Livaja, while Brekalo is an exciting talent.

As for right-backs:

- since Karačić opted for Australia, our U21 starter is off the list. Uremović has played there on occasion, but is a natural centre-back. Same as Jedvaj, Vida etc.
    - I imagine Juranović would be the first HNL option, although he started out as an attacking mid as well. Maybe Šitum? He is a forward, but had a decent handful of performances as a RB a while back.
    - Tomečak? Tičinović? Scraping the barrel now, never mind that they are not all that, but they're also converted wingers (a pattern is starting to emerge).

There is simply nobody even close to the level of Vrsaljko.

Fran Karačić is actually a weird case. Born in Zagreb, never set foot in Australia, played for Croatia U21. Declared for Australia NT (through his father's birthplace) ahead of the WC, but didn't make the squad. Imo a HNS feckup to let him slip away and even worse to keep playing him in the U21 after he already made his decision to represent another senior team instead of testing somebody else. Maybe there's a way to get him him back, as he wasn't called up for Australia yet.