Cumulative English League titles since 1889

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Damien, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jan 1, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

From /u/Chrisixx on reddit (click bottom right corner to view full screen).

2. Jan 1, 2018

RedFish Full Member

Excellent viewing, even if I am biased.:)
  3. Jan 1, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

SAF :keano:
  4. Jan 1, 2018

17Larsson Not a malefactor just a lagomorph

That was a satisfying watch
  5. Jan 1, 2018

2 man midfield Incestuous Modern Woman (Dumper!)

Viewing it like this makes you realise just how much Liverpool pulled away in the 70s and 80s, and just how good Sir Alex was to turn that round.
  6. Jan 1, 2018

Cassady Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    I enjoyed that but I see youse are starting to look at the past and it's funny to see this.
  7. Jan 2, 2018

carvajal Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    I thought Chelsea and Tottenham had more titles. Aston Villa start so well...
  8. Jan 2, 2018

Paz ex-Goldman Sachs Janitor, Martial hater

That is amazing!!
  9. Jan 2, 2018

Skills Snitch

Villa and Arsenal (till Villa got relegated) were the only two clubs to never have played outside the top English division.

Edit: I'm wrong. But they had spent 105 years in the top flight.
  10. Jan 2, 2018

septic Full Member

Kinda sad in a way that the league is dominated now by so few. It must have been nice back in those early years when loads of different teams were capable of winning titles. Won’t ever get that now with the financial might of the big clubs.
  11. Jan 2, 2018

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin) Staff

Speaking of the past... I'll try and do one for the SM league since I've got nothing to look forward to there at the moment :(
  12. Jan 2, 2018

Sunspear17 Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    It's interesting how successful Northern clubs have been. Arsenal being the first club in the south, and specifically London to break that dominance up. It would be intriguing to know the reason behind the North producing such dominant clubs, even some of the best English players to be fair.
  13. Jan 2, 2018

Needham Full Member

Simply a more concentrated intense love and playing of the game in traditional industrial and mining heartlands. That's all over the shop now but many clubs have their literal origins in working mens associations.
  14. Jan 2, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

You're obviously not the brightest spark. The video runs to the current season.
  15. Jan 2, 2018

Rafateria Banned

Nice. What was interesting was that up until around the early 50's (some 65 years after the league's formation) there was only 1 title separating 6 clubs (Villa, Sunderland, Arsenal, Liverpool, United and Everton). Shows how money changed the game.
  16. Jan 2, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Amazing, fergie arrives like a train.
  17. Jan 2, 2018

Organic Potatoes Full Member

Supports:
    Colorado Rapids
    Now I know why all those Preston North End fans I run into in Oklahoma are so stuck up.
  18. Jan 2, 2018

B20 HALA MADRID!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Leicester won the title two years ago. 4 different clubs have won it in the past 5 years with three other clubs besides this finishing 2nd in this period.
  19. Jan 2, 2018

septic Full Member

Leicester is an anomaly.

The title will realistically only ever be won now by a handful of clubs. City, us, Chelsea mainly. With the other 3 ‘big 6’ clubs thereabouts. The table is a lot more predictable now, no denying that.

The likes of Everton, Sunderland, Villa, and the like competing now is practically impossible.
  20. Jan 2, 2018

Manchester Dan Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Those Liverpool and United dominant spells were incredible really, near impossible to replicate now.

Surprised to see City do have some history though. :confused:
  21. Jan 2, 2018

Handré1990 Full Member

Thanks for the share! SAF is such a unique master of the game.
  22. Jan 2, 2018

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy Scout

Thrilling stuff, it started out a bit slowly and stodgy with too many random characters, and i thought the middle bit where Liverpool surged away seemed a bit like unrealistic storytelling, but then it really came together towards the end, what with the comeback finale of United to over take them, I could fully appreciate the satisfying story the director was trying to tell. The Epilogue was a bit pointless, but overall would recommend.
  23. Jan 2, 2018

deafepl Full Member

Mini-league between Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, United and City is so unpredictable since last time United won the premier league and it is impossible to retain title, for an example, United won the league then finished 7th next season, Chelsea won league then suddenly finished 10th, Liverpool were close to winning EPL 2013-14 and lost out to City and dropped to 6th next season, Leicester City who won the league and all of sudden they were in relegation battle until Liverpool games then suddenly they turned corner and look like world beater after beating Liverpool 3-1, they went on 6 winning streaks and finished 12th eventually.

Also, Everton could complete with the strong 6 clubs for a title or 4 spots if keeping spending 150m or so. EPL is at its strongest peak, so-called "dominant" is gone cos the likes of big six club will keep improving quality of the club and strengthen themselves. I think United have a good chance of winning next season, the only 3-4 position needed a urgdade, away from being favourites for the title, Chelsea and Liverpool literally will improve too, City could find it difficult to retain titles next season especially when their rival strengthened themselves but even though City will be favourites for titles.

Sunderland or Villa could complete if they have same financial powers and pull off big name signing. Everton is already there in the same tier as Arsenal and Spurs for financial powers, Newcastle United could be there soon on the way if bought by a billionaire and could do a City/Chelsea thing.
  24. Jan 2, 2018

deafepl Full Member

You were supposed to dominate the league since last time United won the league but it is too late for now, "dominant" is gone.:( I've missed the day when United was so dominant.