Dani Pacheco: "Good luck negrito"

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Liam147, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Jun 6, 2012

Wonder Pigeon 'Shelbourne FC Supporter'

I might be wrong, but did the report on the Suarez-Evra thing not state that Suarez didn't say negrito, he said negro?
  2. Jun 6, 2012

sammsky1 Full Member

Thank you and Good Night. Anyway, let the scouse sort ou thier shit. One of own not involved. Can only imagine the opinion of FSW!

/ thread
  3. Jun 6, 2012

alastair ignorant

Part of the issue is that no-one in society is really aware of what is racist and what isn't, especially foreign people.

Having worked in a school in France for a year, whenever the staff discussed things in English with me, they would forever be using words that don't get used here any more. Coloured being a prime example.

I have no idea what's racist anymore really - I didn't the word 'negro' was a bad thing, particularly. Obviously you wouldn't call someone it, but I didn't know it was so offensive. It gets to the point when there's 20 people in a room with one black person and someone asks you to point him out, and you end up struggling over what he's wearing as opposed to saying 'he's the black guy.'
  4. Jun 6, 2012

manutddjw Full Member

Sir Alex hacked Pacheco's twitter and tweeted that, so all his cohorts in the anti-Liverpool media (which is everyone), FA, UEFA, FIFA and UNICEF can unsettle and impose rules to punish Liverpool, to keep them from the trophies that they would clearly win.

It was smart to target Pacheco because he is the best young striker in the world and Sir Alex was shitting himself at the prospect of having to face a front 3 of Pacheco, Suarez and Carroll, with Gerrard bossing the midfield.
  5. Jun 6, 2012

Gambit Desperately wants to be a Muppet

Yes.
  6. Jun 6, 2012

Wonder Pigeon 'Shelbourne FC Supporter'

Jeez, you'd know alastair is upper middle class anyway.

Kidding. Mostly.
  7. Jun 6, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    :lol: So true.

I honestly think people are too sensitive, and anything with race connotations is a potential negative.
  8. Jun 6, 2012

Ole's_toe_poke Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Can it really be racist if Johnson isnt offended by it and accepts it as a term meaning 'mate' or 'friend'?

Bit of a non story really.
  9. Jun 6, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

That is true. People need to lighten up to an extent. If someone is black then they are black, if they are white then they are white. Using an adjective to describe someone is not racist. If you are using it in a negative way then it is racism I.e. "i don't talk to blacks". There has to be a cut off point as to what is acceptable and not, political correctness has gone completely mad and over the top.
  10. Jun 6, 2012

kietotheworld Banned

You're correct. Even Suarez didn't claim he said negrito in his evidence.
  11. Jun 6, 2012

fergieisold Full Member

Didn't use that word against Evra...
  12. Jun 6, 2012

Bross Noggie Pez Dispenser

Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
    Storm in a glass of water. Theres obviously nothing in it. People calling for bans are being absolutely retarded or more likely biased because theres a liverpool player involved.

Kind of humorous how Europeans in general seem to have the belief that we can decide what's universally correct and not to say or what terms to use. If Johnson thinks it's ok to be called a negrito then that should be the end of the matter.
  13. Jun 6, 2012

charleysurf Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

Suarez used racist terms to try to wind up Evra on the pitch, hoping he'd react and get sent off or something. A scumbag move.

This is absolutely nothing like that.
  14. Jun 6, 2012

SecondFig Full Member

This again?

Suarez didn't "unsuccessfully argue that "'negrito' was not a derogatory term in the Spanish language" - the entire issue, and the only reason he could be found guilty (given the he said/she said nature of the offence) was that Suarez admitted using language that referred to a player's colour and this (regardless of whether it's an insult ) is clearly banned under FA rules.

Tl;dr: Suarez's guilt wasn't dependent upon "negrito" being an insult, merely referring to Evra being black was enough.
  15. Jun 6, 2012

kietotheworld Banned

Incorrect, it had to be as part of abuse for him to be guilty.
  16. Jun 6, 2012

Xander45 Know-It-All Champion May 2009

Thanks for reminding me of this,

Probably Mockney's best work.
  17. Jun 6, 2012

kouroux Full Member

Mockney aced it.One of the best videos of youtube
  18. Jun 6, 2012

Ramshock Full Member

Rodgers has his work cut out with that lot.
  19. Jun 6, 2012

SecondFig Full Member

Sorry, you're correct, I should have been more specific.

The point wasn't whether "negrito" was an insult in of itself, it was that Suarez had used insulting language, which "included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour", so regardless of whether negrito is an insult or not, it clearly refers to Evra being black - in the context of forming part of an insulting interaction that was enough to find Suarez guilty.
  20. Jun 6, 2012

Nobby style Full Member

This. He's obviously using it as a term of endearment. And not even necessarily derogatory to someone you don't know.
  21. Jun 6, 2012

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    If Suarez said he didn't say 'negro', would he still have been found out? Was there any evidence other than his confession?
  22. Jun 6, 2012

antohan gets aroused by tagline boobs

It's not happening in your country, it's on the internet. Should the internet standards be narrowed to the least permissive level?

I agree, a Liverpool player doing that is asking for trouble. Needless.

You are the ones with a giant chip on the shoulder. There is nothing backward or wrong about people being referred to according to their skin colour so long as no one is aggrieved, which is the case here.

Doesn't make the slightest difference as far as Suarez' argument is concerned. Either can be used, I use them all the time with friends of mine.

What mattered was the context and intention to cause grief and in that sense negrito would actually be worse as you are not just black but, by using the diminutive, you are also being called small/tiny/irrelevant.

I've been there countless times, fecking ridiculous. A typical scenario: going back to a store or when told to go speak with X, then being asked about who you spoke to previously... They are all white bar the one you talked to but end up going round in circles describing his height, build, etc. when the simple straightforward thing is "the black guy" without in any way meaning to be offensive, just clear and precise.
  23. Jun 6, 2012

Cold_Boy Banned

:lol:

"Lets get this started" again.
  24. Jun 6, 2012

#07 Full Member

Exactly. The key thing is context.

You can tell that using the term 'negro' in the middle of a heated argument and having pinched the guy's skin isn't going to be friendly.

Pacheco on the other hand is just saying good luck to a friend.

The only story here is Sky Sports again misreporting what Suarez actually said to Evra.
  25. Jun 6, 2012

TheReligion Abusive

I think the point people are making is why use the term and give people something to talk about in the first place considering everythinig that has happened previously?

Idiocy really.
  26. Jun 6, 2012

Walrus Oppressed White Male

Absolutely.

Lets turn it on the other foot - if someone refers to me as White, do I take it as an insult? Now fair enough that caucasians dont have a history of racial abuse but if we truly think that we are past that stage, surely you cant keep referring back to that as an excuse for double standards.

Referring to someone by the colour of their skin isnt inherently bad or negative in itself. Its no different to the colour of ones eyes or hair and shouldnt be treated as such just because in the past there have been negative connotations associated with it. Obviously, using the colour of ones skin as an insult is racist, but only when used in that sort of context, in my opinion.

Anyway this is probaby the wrong thread for this debate so I will stop there.
  27. Jun 6, 2012

Nobby style Full Member

The difference is that in Latin America the racism is much more of a passive sort whereas in the United States and Europe it's of an aggressive, even violent strain, such as Nazi, KKK, and banana throwing assholes. You would never see these sort of organizations or actions in Latin America. This is why races mix and get on so much better down south, and one can speak of it more openly. Make no mistake, racism exists, but to a much different extent.

You don't see such a large influx of immigration here though, as you do in the Northern World, which again brings a more aggressive reaction.

Seems like whole sectors of the United States continue to be resentful that "negritos" ever got their freedom or that apartheid was abolished and that civil rights took hold. They had to fight their bloodiest war to stop slavery while everywhere else finally came to a civilized realization that enslaving blacks was morally wrong. Loads of Gringos have never gotten over this.
  28. Jun 6, 2012

Maciek Arrogant prick who is best ignored

They still don't get it. Suarez said to Evra: "I don't speak to blacks"...

Negrito - offensive or not, it was all about the context.
  29. Jun 6, 2012

The Neviller Banned

Drenthe never played for Barca, he played for Madrid, so Messi wasn't conversing with a teammate, he was talking to an opponent. He also didn't call him "negrito" either, Drenthe claims he said "Hola, negro" on a number of occasions.

As much of a disgrace as anyone else doing it. I've always thought Messi was a bit of a cnut.
  30. Jun 6, 2012

Crustanoid Full Member

Pacheco was put up to it 100%

Whether it was Suarez, KKK or Andy@Allerton though, nobody can be sure
  31. Jun 6, 2012

Judge Red Don't Call Me Douglas

The word Suarez used was 'negro' and he used it in a wholly offensive context. His punishment wasn't nearly enough.

As for Pacheco, if he wants to use Spanish terms when tweeting to Glen Johnson and trying to defend Suarez, he shouldn't preface them with the not very Spanish 'good luck'.
  32. Jun 6, 2012

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Just a little harmless joke I'd imagine because of the Suarez thing. But you aren't allowed to say anything on twitter *sigh*
  33. Jun 7, 2012

vuc First Team Serb

If Johnson is aware of what negrito is (and being team-mates it's fairly certain that he does), and is friends with Pacheco then who the feck cares really?
  34. Jun 7, 2012

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Initially wasn't it believed Suarez did say Negrito? but yet everyone condemned the use of that word anyway.
  35. Jun 7, 2012

Eugenius Full Member

For clarity Suarez told Evra he kicked him because he was black and then when Evra said he was going to punch him, he said "come on negro, negro negro".

This was found by the language expert to be offensive and racist in Uruguay and elsewhere.
  36. Jun 7, 2012

Sylar Full Member

I swear the report itself that was published didnt make a mention of the term "negrito" with regards to Suarez saying it to Evra. I remember newspapers publishing it and the whole of Rawk becoming experts on that word, but then a week later the findings were released and the word was never even said so the whole thing was null at that point.

Or am I remembering it wrong?
  37. Jun 7, 2012

Ringo 07 Full Member

The world has gone mad. For the media to make a massive fuss about a friendly jibe from one team mate to another is disgraceful really! Negrito or similar versions is a very common friendly remark in all countries that speak Spanish or Portuguese
  38. Jun 7, 2012

Damien Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)

Yes - but only by the newspapers.

No you're spot on there.
  39. Jun 7, 2012

simonhch Full Member

:lol:
  40. Jun 7, 2012

Red Hand Devil Plan M ish

"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
    Probably a classic case of someone havin a few drinks on a live chat forum & not thinkin, we've seen it on here tbh & racist comments are quite rightly punished by banning!

Been to quite a few parties here in Dublin where Brazilian women where there & they referred to us Irish blokes - mostly behind our backs, as gringo's. I didnt take any offence of course, but my Brazilian mate told me they were being intentionally offensive because of the famous pale Irish skin & them not particularly liking the Irish male!