Danny Welbeck - 2013/14 performances

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KM, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Jul 31, 2011

Hellboy Full Member

Very versatile and very good, I hope a couple of strikers are loaned/sold to accommodate him.
  2. Jul 31, 2011

Adzzz Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner

A Forest with Astro Turf Facility. Now a Guardian
    I have to say, Welbeck is an incredibly gifted footballer. I expect him to make it at United, possibly in a big way.
  3. Jul 31, 2011

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

He's no Sturridge though.
  4. Jul 31, 2011

FortBoyard Full Member

Assuming that all things are equal, who'd want to
    Do you mean that seriously? Or is it a parody of a previous opinion in the thread, I haven't read it.
  5. Jul 31, 2011

Twigginater WUM Alert!

He was fecking quality last night. Very impressive.
  6. Jul 31, 2011

Carl has permanently erect nipples

I know you're only joking but it's an inevitable comparison that will run and run. I've always said I'd take Welbeck over Sturridge, even when Sturridge was the 1 banging the goals in.

Sturridge plays for himself. He's far to greedy. He'll not make it at Chelsea and will probably go on to be a good striker at a good Premier League club. Welbeck is on the next level.
  7. Jul 31, 2011

Hellboy Full Member

Sturridge will be a Darren Bent type of striker in the future, whereas Danny is far more cultured and technically gifted. It will be really exciting this season with him along with Macheda (hopefully) and Cleverley.
  8. Jul 31, 2011

BAMSOLA Has issues!

Sturridge could possibly become a pretty important player for chelsea this season under AVB's guidance, I get the feeling that he will be the kind of manager who actually helps to bridge(pun intended) the gap between Chelsea's ageing squad and the younger talents they have around the squad such as Obi mikel, Josh McEachran and sturridge himself.

Although having said that Welbeck is a far more talented player than Sturridge on just about every level other than finishing. He is more techincally gifted and a much more intelligent footballer. I certainly wouldn't swap Welbeck for Sturridge as Sturridge's main problem is that he is a central striker with decent techincal ability who has been shunted out to the flanks on many occasions because he has better players ahead of him centrally.

Whether Chelsea can make that his more natural position or find a home for him centrally remains to be seen.
  9. Jul 31, 2011

datura Full Member

I think that's a poor comparison. Sturridge has a good eye for a pass, can beat a player, good shot from distance and a great touch. He's got far more to his game then Bent who is primarily a box player (and very good at it).

Welbeck looks more of a team player and better in the air and with his hold up play, but they are both good talents and England will hope they both fulfil their promise.
  10. Jul 31, 2011

Hellboy Full Member

When I compared him to Bent, I meant that he won't make it in a big club IMO, he will be a good PL striker just like Bent is, whereas Welbeck has a chance thanks to his outstanding ability. I didn't necessarily refer to his footballing qualities.
  11. Jul 31, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    Wellbeck would partner Rooney...except we have Chicho. not a bad problem to have.

we are so fortunate.

This lad is going to be some footballer. Just watch him go this season.
  12. Jul 31, 2011

Dwazza Van Hernandez A Special Kind of Hipster

he's going to have quite a season.
  13. Jul 31, 2011

Ace Full Member

With Hernandez out for the start of the season, I hope to see him get some serious minutes. I have a feeling he's still behind Owen in the pecking order (and rightfully so), but I'd like to see him given a proper run out. Exciting times ahead.
  14. Jul 31, 2011

pocco loco

Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    It's good to see him getting the recognition that his talent deserves. I think he could be the most influential of the players that joined/returned from loan this summer. People are talking about his finishing also, which I think is due to him not scoring his chance last night, but I don't think theres a problem with this part of his game really. Or atleast, one that he doesn't have the ability to put right.

15. Jul 31, 2011

pocco loco

I thought this video was worth posting also...

:lol:
  16. Jul 31, 2011

Alwyn Got rid of his pee

:lol: that's amazing!

"What are you going to wear?"
  17. Jul 31, 2011

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Rooney, Hernandez, Owen, Welcbeck, Berbaton, Macheda, Diouf wow just wow we are well stocked in this dep.
  18. Jul 31, 2011

Richter Hairy big footed Swede

His finishing/composure in front of goal has always been my biggest concern about him, then again the likes of Rooney,Ronaldo,Henry,Torres etc didn't score for fun at his age so it's hopefully something that will come with age and experience.
  19. Jul 31, 2011

Fiskey Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's going to be a top 10 world player, I really think he's very very special.
  20. Jul 31, 2011

Shimo Full Member

That little back heel to himself from Nani's ball last night was class. There was another ball where he had run offside on De Gea clearance but, he took the ball in a Berba-esque manner down. He's really showing some great promise, hope he gets a chance in some meaningful games ahead of Owen.
  21. Jul 31, 2011

Lance Uppercut Full Member

No chance.
  22. Jul 31, 2011

johnmufc More space between ears than Scholesy

I was ridiculed for saying he was a better footballer than Chicharito several months ago. Perhaps more people will begin to agree with me. Please do not misinterpret me, I think Chicharito is a a very effective player who suits us so well, but Welbeck has so much more to his game.

Welbeck can become an ideal modern forward, and Ferguson must give him at least 30 games next year. He is too good to have as a fringe player, and it is not fair on his development if he isn't given enough opportunities.

He deserves to start against City in the Community Shield, and I am confident he will impress.
  23. Jul 31, 2011

pocco loco

Welbeck's first touch has always been one of his strong points. This one in particular was my favourite

Dailymotion - sunchessv247 - a Tech & Science video

Why?
  24. Jul 31, 2011

Why is he not going to be ahead of Berbatov in the pecking order this season? Are you serious?
  25. Jul 31, 2011

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

I don't think he will be ahead of Berbatov by the end of the season but then people did say the same thing about Hernandez at the beginning of last year.

I reckon Danny will have a few issues over productivity to force his way in but he does have a lot of promise.
  26. Jul 31, 2011

Agreed.
  27. Jul 31, 2011

pocco loco

Yes, I'm being serious. It wouldn't be as big a surprise as you make out. You even went on to agree with a post that mentions Hernandez, who looked an even bigger underdog this time last season.

Edit: I'm saying that Welbeck could overtake Berbatov in the pecking order this season, not to begin with.
  28. Jul 31, 2011

Striker10 "Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

I might as well say it. Berbatov is a great player but he's not always consistent and he's not the best finisher in spite of his goals tally. Welbecks form for sunderland where he went on a scoring run, was something that didn't really happen for Berbatov. He was very patchy. So all these things people say Welbeck can improve on...
  29. Jul 31, 2011

I agreed with this:

Berbatov was the top scorer in the PL last season. Welbeck will be fighting to get past Owen.
  30. Jul 31, 2011

pocco loco

I edited my last post. Welbeck will show that he brings more to our game and, eventually, will overtake Berbatov. We all know the argument surrounding Berbatov's season last year, so I think Fergie will look past the goals and assess who is performing better for the team. Which I think will be Welbeck.

It'll be like the Nistelrooy/Saha situation all over again.
  31. Jul 31, 2011

I just saw your edit. He certainly could overtake Berbatov in the pecking order, but I don't believe it will be this season. Time will tell.
  32. Aug 2, 2011

KingEric7 Conspiracy enthusiast

So excited about Welbeck. My mate (a City fan) got it spot on yesterday when he said "he's such a United player".

Got great ability, fast and sometimes that bit of magic also. Hope he makes it as a starter at this club - will be a massive shame if he doesn't.
  33. Aug 2, 2011

adexkola American Arse

Tristate. In the street like a hooker's feet
    :lol: You know they are strikers right?
  34. Aug 2, 2011

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Don't know if this is posted, but what about this for a first touch: (at 3:42)

His first touch is absolutely brilliant, it takes him into so many good positions. Awareness seems to be really good.
  35. Aug 2, 2011

Elliott Likes Loan Stickies

Missed the US games as they happened so I'm watching them now in random order. Just done with the Chicago match, Danny was class. Underrated passer of the ball.
  36. Aug 2, 2011

Boss Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker

I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
    The Danster is doing big things!

Maybe he can start over the weekend!
  37. Aug 2, 2011

pocco loco

Don't be so simple minded. You'll see soon enough.
  38. Aug 2, 2011

Xander45 Know-It-All Champion May 2009

Scored and assisted so far in the game against Marseille, him and Cleverley are playing really well.
  39. Aug 2, 2011

#07 Full Member

Got nothing but good things to say about Welbeck. He's really coming on strong. I had my doubts about him before last season but he really blossomed under Bruce at Sunderland and since he's returned to United he's shown no signs of slowing down. Happy to have him in the squad he's got goals in him and is a nice player of the ball too.
  40. Aug 2, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Best players on the pitch so far (I'm watching on sky+ and only 40 minutes in)

I see that ESPN spelled Danny's name wrong, the mongs.