Danny Welbeck - 2013/14 performances

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KM, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Feb 27, 2012

Annihilate Now! ...or later, I'm not fussy

No he didn't... stop exaggerating.

Apart from the header, he had the one chance where the keeper was on top of him before he could cleanly get his shot away, which he was off balance for... it was a chance, but not exactly "top drawer" in my opinion.

That was in fact his only attempt at goal apart from the header, so that's 1 other chance...

I know some people are harsh on our players at the best of times, but feck me, it's a bit ridiculous to crticise them for things they haven't even done.
  2. Feb 27, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    You're right that there were only two chances in the last 10 minutes.

He had a couple more in total though. One of them ended in a brilliant save, the other was cleared off the line.
  3. Feb 27, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

He just turned 21 back in November..easy to forget that given he has been around the fringes for a while. It's one of the reasons why people are perhaps more forgiving towards him than say Rooney or Berbatov.
  4. Feb 27, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

Ok just saw the MoTD highlights, and while they aren't a great indicator of the match. I would say those who are saying Welbeck's finishing was poor are being incredibly harsh on him.

From the MoTD highlights

16th minute, very good save by Ruddy, not sure what Welbeck could've done more
    64th minute, chipped shot over Ruddy, saved off the line by the Norwich player.
    That Header was ofcourse awful and should've scored, no doubt about that.
    89th Minute, Ruddy again did well IMO, quick off the line and made himself big so that Danny's angle wasn't that great and the norwich defender was in a very good position to make a goal line clearance anyway.

I thought Hernandez and Giggsy squandered fairly easy chances tbh.
  5. Feb 27, 2012

RyanGoggs Insists on dating women in public places - for the

The header was really the only bad miss. Other than that it was really a case of good defending and goalkeeping. The fact that he is getting the chances is the important thing here, on another day he could have had his first hat trick but it just wasn't to be.

I think he plays better as the strikers leading the line, which obviously he couldn't do yesterday as Rooney was out. Fantastic prospect.
  6. Feb 27, 2012

I'm always right Banned

I thought he made a mess of that tbh, from that position he really should've scored, the "saved off the line" part makes no difference.

He was brilliant yesterday though, but he should've had his name on the scoresheet at least once.
  7. Feb 27, 2012

Nathan Full Member

It was an off day for wellbeck, he made some good runs and was unlucky that the goalkeeper blocked him.
  8. Feb 27, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

What could he could've done from that situation?
    He tried to chip the goalkeeper, which as far I think was pretty much the only option for him and the defender was in very good option.
  9. Feb 27, 2012

I'm always right Banned

I personaly thought he should've put his foot through a volley.
  10. Feb 27, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    I'm inclined to agree. He under-cooked the chip an' all.

Great movement to get in that position though.
  11. Feb 27, 2012

I'm always right Banned

Yeah definitely, such a brilliant footballer already. I know you've always rated him highly Pogue but I'm personally very surprised as to just how good he is.
  12. Feb 27, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

Agree with the above assessments as well. It was always going to be saved. He could actually have squared it for a simply tap in for Nani but the latter only made his run at the very last moment so there was no way Welbeck could have seen it.
  13. Feb 28, 2012

NewDawnFades Full Member

Great insight from Welbz

Manchester United question Athletic Bilbao over £77.50 ticket price | Football | guardian.co.uk

I don't even
  14. Feb 28, 2012

Mick1991 Full Member

:lol:

Sexual innuendo minefield.
  15. Feb 29, 2012

Worked himself into the ground today. Great contribution especially as he had almost no service
  16. Feb 29, 2012

Walrus Oppressed White Male

Annoys me because people will probably say he had a poor game, but as said, he had no service and was playing a lone striker role with an out of form young (or shite gerrard) behind him. Worked hard and fought well, good performance in my eyes, the problem was some of the players behind him.
  17. Feb 29, 2012

ArmchairCritic You got pets me too mines are dead

Everyone hypes up Terry and Parker as lionhearts when they play for England but neither of them have the work rate of Welbeck, the lad bust a gut out there. The was one moment when he was pressing high and Gerrard was just standing there and Welbeck was gesturing for him to come and help him press. England need more players like Welbeck, he's going to absolutely terrific in a few years.
  18. Feb 29, 2012

AttackingFlair Full Member

He did well considering Gerrard and Young were awful. When Rooney is back, he should get more joy.
  19. Feb 29, 2012

evra Full Member

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
    Gerrard is such a wasteful passer of the ball.
  20. Feb 29, 2012

This.

Them playing together for club will help the synergy massively too of course, but its hard to overstate how shite Gerrard and Young were (despite the latter scoring).
  21. Feb 29, 2012

Would love to see Rooney Welbeck and Sturridge together.
  22. Feb 29, 2012

Brwned Have you ever been in love before?

Thought it said it all when he was arguably the best passer on the pitch, certainly the only one who looked to open up the game with any passing moves. Embarrassing really.
  23. Feb 29, 2012

Very, there was one point when he dropped back to the right back area and played a smart little pass to his right to a CM in a difficult position, then a few seconds later Gerrard tries to play a ridiculous Hollywood pass. Welbeck was trying hard to link up with everyone but the England players looked a bit confused by the concept of short, sharp passing.
  24. Feb 29, 2012

Get Rooney and Cleverley in there and hell, move Jones into CM beside him, and let the good times roll.
  25. Feb 29, 2012

And Wilshere :drool:

But this is England, good times will never roll.
  26. Feb 29, 2012

beller2000 Full Member

for want of a better phrase 'if he grows some balls' he'll score a load more goals. seems to be afraid of being clattered. stick the head in son! i like Danny but wish he would just be a bit more fearless/ruthless cos he could be fecking devasting!
  27. Feb 29, 2012

I think Danny might still end up bulking up a little, but you are right beller, he could occassionally look to get a little more stuck in.
    Rather that than him getting himself injured though.
  28. Feb 29, 2012

Antisocial Full Member

Gerrard didn't mesh with him at all well whilst he was on, maybe if he wasn't ruining decent passing moves with unnecessary long-balls the partnership could've had a chance.

I was happy when Welbeck was finally subbed for United-reasons, but I'd have liked to see him and Campbell have some time together, certainly as England were forced to attack at that stage.
  29. Feb 29, 2012

Aye, it was a shame that it was only in the final periods of the game that England really got an attacking impetus going and started giving the striker(s) some chances, Welbeck was starved for service, put in an immense shift but will no doubt get hammered by the papers and various fans because he was unable to do his job along with doing the job of the #10 and CM as well.
  30. Feb 29, 2012

Pexbo Takes body parts and sells them on Amazon.

Our Danny is used to playing with players like Cleverley who pass and move and link up with him. Gerrard is far to direct to gel with Welbeck, he prefers a striker ahead of him who'll work hard to pick up scraps.
  31. Feb 29, 2012

FlawlessThaw most 'know it all' poster

The Sun have given him 5/10. Only Young (also scored 5/10) and Gerrard (4/10) didn't score higher than him. So according to them the likes of Barry, Parker etc all had a better game.

I don't think England will take with Welbeck
  32. Mar 11, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

He had a good game but another horrific miss for him today. Luckily it didn't mean anything in the end. Just needs to work alot harder infront of goal and compose himself more.
  33. Mar 11, 2012

Kelvin Banned

fergie look concerned when taking him off, did he pick up some sort of injury I wonder?
  34. Mar 11, 2012

Top for all gif enquiries, contact Olly

He was brilliant again today. I can't wait for him and Cleverley to play together again.
  35. Mar 11, 2012

Carl has permanently erect nipples

I thought he was brilliant today. Granted he fluffed an absolute sitter but he was at the heart of a lot of our best moves.

All hail Wellback.

EDIT: Not to mention he was playing on the wing...
  36. Mar 11, 2012

Adam-Utd Full Member

To be fair it was hardly horrific, it was a very tight angle, on his weak foot and he was unbalanced.

I think we can forgive him for missing that one!

Apart from that he was outstanding today, he just glided passed the opposition and some of his touches / ball control was fantastic.

He sure is developing very nicely
  37. Mar 11, 2012

I'm telling you when he gets that end product, shit's about to go the feck down.
  38. Mar 11, 2012

Godfather Full Member

Good game. Incredible miss though.
  39. Mar 11, 2012

Makki QUITTER

freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
    His passing around the edge of the box is immense.. Just needs to work on his end product and he'll be a world beater.
  40. Mar 11, 2012

Orton Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

It was horrific, the goal was wide open and he should have scored regardless. Like i said, good game from him though. Just needs to work on his finishing.