Danny Welbeck - 2013/14 performances

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KM, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Mar 11, 2012

Ash_G Full Member

Another good performance. I wasn't too keen on him playing wide but he linked up well. If jones was a better attacking outlet on the right it would have been even better. It's encouraging that he can play in multiple positions.
  2. Mar 11, 2012

Coca Cola One balled wonder

It was a bad miss. No excuses. He should be scoring there.

His overall performance was excellent though. He's gonna be a fantastic player for this club.
  3. Mar 11, 2012

Anderson8 Full Member

All round game is really good, but he does lack that little bit extra in terms of end product/cutting edge, hopefully that'll come soon.
  4. Mar 11, 2012

Moriarty Full Member

A bit more composure in front of goal and he'll be all right. I think he snatched at the chance being unaware of how much time he actually had. That awareness will come with age. This lad will be the business in time.
  5. Mar 11, 2012

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    only thing missing was the goal...otherwise he was so calm...very skillful player.
  6. Mar 11, 2012

Ubik Full Member

Needs a goal and then all these chances will start being put away. Scoring 10 in the league will be a good haul for his first full season as a regular.

The backheel in the first half was :drool: worthy
  7. Mar 11, 2012

Will Absolute Full Member

Yep. He has creativity, imagination, skill - and workrate. If he could finish, he'd be a United player. Hopefully that's just a matter of time.
  8. Mar 11, 2012

gooDevil Worst scout ever

I really love the way he plays, full of effort yet calm and creative on the ball, plays without any fear.
  9. Mar 11, 2012

wr8_utd :'(

Super work rate, very good in the build up, can play multiple positions but it's his finishing which needs to be worked on. He's missed a lot of good chances this season and once he improves on that , he's going to be one of the best in the League.
  10. Mar 11, 2012

StanleyCupboard Full Member

He has such a lovely silky style of play, just dragging and comforting the ball around as if it were on a string. A bit like Berbatov with pace.
  11. Mar 11, 2012

kouroux Full Member

The link up, the willingness and the general technique are really good.He's just a shit finisher (at the moment).
  12. Mar 11, 2012

Amar__ Full Member

It's interesting how he dribbles players with ease, they just cannot stop him.
  13. Mar 11, 2012

kouroux Full Member

It really was.The angle wasn't that tight tbh and even if he was unbalanced, he had the time and space to easily slot it home.It didn't matter in the end
  14. Mar 11, 2012

Drainy Full Member

Strikers go through periods where their finishing is off, I wouldnt worry about it. He's going to be a top player.
  15. Mar 11, 2012

Wowi Rød grød med fløde

Even without top finishing he's a very good United player imo. A bit more composure in front of goal and he'd simply be an even better one.

I love watching him play and although he probably didn't play his favourite position today I think it suited him very well. He's very good at roaming around and find space between the opponents, and when he receives the ball he often plays it first time or runs past an opponent. He's already a very good player and he's going to be a fantastic one. Clear sign that our academy still works fine despite what some people say.
  16. Mar 11, 2012

forevrared Full Member

Not to mention he hit it on the half-volley.
  17. Mar 11, 2012

adam118 Full Member

He seems to have everything but just need to improve his finishing. He could be a big player for United for many years to come.
  18. Mar 11, 2012

Elliott Likes Loan Stickies

Did he come off injured? Sir asked him something with a concerned look on his face as Danny sat down.
  19. Mar 11, 2012

Amir Full Member

But after speaking with the forward, Ferguson does not have any serious concerns.

"He thought he was feeling his hamstring tighten up but then the next minute he said the pain had gone so I think it was just a bit of tightness," he said.

"We just said we'd take him off, take no risks, with 10 minutes to go and hopefully he'll be okay."
  20. Mar 11, 2012

Thanks for that, Amir.
  21. Mar 11, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Personally, I think the two biggest areas of his game he needs to try and improve in are his technical ability and finishing.

Physically, he's pretty much there. Not only is he a hard worker, but he's also strong and can battle for most balls, and he can also hold players off as well which comes in handy.

He's shown glimpses of technical ability, however I do think that it's an area he has to work in as he often looks rather clumbsy when he's running with the ball.

He is a decent finisher, and it's not his finishing in itself that it is the problem, it's often the type of shot he chooses to go for. There's been many an occasion where it's been best for him just to put his foot through it and go for it, however he's decided to go for the finesse shot instead. That can be rather frustrating at times.
  22. Mar 11, 2012

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

Very good player but hopefully will get more clinical with time. Overcomplicates things or isnt ruthless enough in front of goal.
  23. Mar 11, 2012

I think you've got that mixed up a bit. Technically he's a special player but his physical development has been very rapid over the last few seasons and he's still somewhat adjusting to it. The "clumsy" moments are fewer and further between then they were just last season and, though he's probably still got some filling out to do, will soon be a thing of the past.
  24. Mar 11, 2012

Cheesy Full Member

Nope, would have to disagree with that there. I think calling him a 'special' technical player is taking it too far at the moment. He potentially could be, however at the moment he's not. His dribbling is quite good, however his ball control, for me, could still do with a lot of work. The clumbsy moments on the ball have still been happening far too much this season.

His physical development has been rapid, but I think it's just about finished now. He's still growing, but he's strong and quite big as well.
  25. Mar 11, 2012

Decotron Full Member

Think people need to chill out about what and where hes lacking. His current rate of progression is fantastic imo. Theres not many others learning their trade at the top level
  26. Mar 11, 2012

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Yup. Good analysis that.
  27. Mar 11, 2012

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself

He sometimes remind me of Luis Suarez in a way that his overall play is very good but his finishing for a striker is average. Although like we've have seen with Ronaldo and Rooney, finishing can be improved.

Very good performance today btw, just shows what a versatile player he is, inspite of playing in a unnatural position, he was still able to be very good.
  28. Mar 12, 2012

Jinn Full Member

Schmeichel - define a great player: “It is a play
    When he gets more clinical in front of goal(and it will happen), we will have HENRY part II on our hands.

If we get our midfeild sorted, i can see us playing 4 3 3 quite often with Rooney, Welbeck and Hernandez all starting.
  29. Mar 12, 2012

AttackingFlair Full Member

Im glad he can play out wide too, at certain points in games we'll need that extra goal threat so having Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck and Nani on the same pitch would be a good option.
  30. Mar 12, 2012

I'd be delighted if he comes within even miles of Henry.
  31. Mar 12, 2012

Jinn Full Member

Believe
  32. Mar 12, 2012

We're talking about the best striker the premier league has seen and one among its two best players overall. I'd rather not set myself such insane expectations of him.
  33. Mar 12, 2012

Will Absolute Full Member

We used to think that he was weak there, but there was no sign of that today.

Welbeck tries a lot of 'fancy stuff' that doesn't always come off, and when it fails, he can look ineffectual. But as he matures his 'success rate' is increasing rapidly. Where before a defender might get a foot in and nick the ball, now Welbeck gets away.

He really is an exciting prospect.
  34. Mar 12, 2012

Jinn Full Member

I can see it happening though. If Welbeck's progression continues steadily, he just migh t suprise us all. He has all the attributes to go on and be an outstanding striker.
    Let's not forget, Henry was playing as a winger at 19. Took him a while to get going as well.
  35. Mar 12, 2012

Vinay Muppet in Training

O yes. He already has such wonderful composure and elegance on the ball. His technique is excellent and he loves conducting the game... He is taking the reigns of our attacking game very gradually...
  36. Mar 12, 2012

Feed Me I'm hungry

It's been a really good breakthrough season for him.

Sure there's the odd downside, such as the wayward finishing, but you expect that with a young player.

The positives are that his intelligence and technical ability are through the roof. He's physically excellent too.

We're looking at a potential PotY candidate in the future if he can start gilding his all round performances with goals.
  37. Mar 12, 2012

kps88 Full Member

He's going to get even better when Cleverly starts playing regularly.
  38. Mar 12, 2012

Lastwolf Full Member

Yeah some of the training video's between him and Cleverley are scary good, even Rio said if they can translate that into a performace in a actual game, they will be lethal.
  39. Mar 12, 2012

Siorac Full Member

Why people say that wide forward is an "unnatural" position for him? If anything, centre-forward is: it doesn't let him make the most of his dribbling skills but exposes his one big weakness, his finishing.

If anything, he's a natural wide forward with his tendency to roam and his ability to dribble. In a fluid 4-3-3, he could be a beast with Rooney in the middle and an in-form Nani or Young on the other flank.
  40. Mar 12, 2012

Jonno Full Member

Yeah those one-twos he loves to do with Rooney are becoming very evident, Roo often encouraging it