David de Gea - 2013/14 performances

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KM, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 15, 2011

Commadus Banned

As a GK I am of the strong belief that a GK should be physically intimidating. When you have players like Jones, Davies, Carrol, Huth, Shawcross etc you really do need a physical presence to intimidate them.

No outfield player will come in hard on a GK they know will come with their elbows knees and isn't bothered about breaking someone in half.
  2. Aug 15, 2011

phelans shorts Full Member

The problem may be more with them talking to him too much, it's very disconcerting having people talk to you in a language you don't understand.

I can't see mch problem with Spurs tbh, I think their fitness will be hugely suspect given it will be only their 2nd game, the first being against hearts 4 days earlier.
  3. Aug 15, 2011

Havak Pokemon master

Yeah, I don't think they'll be that much of a problem either, there's just the potential of it in the first 45-60 without Ferdinand and Vidic there. If Crouch is still there I'm sure they'll try to test him, but I can't see them getting the chance to really have a go at him like certain other teams will. While Spurs and Arsenal are teams that will be finishing top 6, I think they're two of the least likely teams to rough him up as they like to play football. They're both at Old Trafford as well, so the crowd behind him should do him a lot of good before a tough, bruising trip away to Bolton.
  4. Aug 15, 2011

Also let's face it, for someone as big as Crouch is he is woeful in the air.
  5. Aug 15, 2011

#07 Full Member

I think thats more important than being physically intimidating. I wouldn't call Edwin physically intimidating besides being tall but he was nobody's fool and would happily crack you in the head with a fist if you got in the way of his attempt to punch the ball. What we saw yesterday was West Brom trying to bully De Gea. Shooting at him from distance, jumping in on him at corners.

There's a reason keepers tend to get known for being a bit nuts and thats cos the best of them generally develop this 'persona' of being fearless to the point of stupidity/insanity. De Gea needs to get that. He should overcome his nerves by psyching himself up.
  6. Aug 15, 2011

Havak Pokemon master

Woeful at scoring with his head, yeah. But de Gea looked a bit nervous trying to pluck a ball out of the air against West Brom players. He wasn't stretching his arms out to reach high enough above the players. If he can't do it against them yet, I don't fancy his chances against a 6ft7 lamppost. Hopefully if he can't claim it, he'll let Smalling challenge and just be ready for a knock down.
  7. Aug 15, 2011

That's quite harsh, both times he failed to claim it after going up he was either manhandled or elbowed in the face, Crouch doesn't have enough control of his limbs to do that.
  8. Aug 15, 2011

Commadus Banned

I looked again at the Shane Long Elbow. De Gea was a bit slow to react - he wasn't off the ground so he was reaching up with his arms leaving his face exposed.

I think he needs to learn how to jump with his shoulder for protection. Ie when he goes for a ball he first jumps then reaches rather than what he did which was just reach.
  9. Aug 15, 2011

Commadus Banned

Players won't back into you if they know they will get a knee into their back. Watch Jens Lehman he was a sizy chap but he would always jump with his knee hanging in the air.
  10. Aug 15, 2011

Havak Pokemon master

I guess it is, but he still certainly lacks the confidence to think "I can use my hands to catch his before you get your head on it." His body position, shoulders / knees, leap etc aren't quite there for English football yet. Even if Crouch isn't going to crash into him, I can see him actually still winning the ball. Hopefully I am wrong, I am a fan of de Gea despite these latest comments :lol: I just don't think the concerns are unwarranted.
  11. Aug 15, 2011

MancFanFromManc Full Member

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
    De Gea is a long term solution. Shame he's dropped two clangers already, but hey ho, dust off, move on. He'll be under more pressure when it costs us points, he'll learn

Lindegaard will come in to take the pressure off at some point.

I have every faith that De Gea will be a top keeper for many many years for us
  12. Aug 15, 2011

I've played in goal myself, I'm fully aware of this...
  13. Aug 15, 2011

Maciek Arrogant prick who is best ignored

"We had a player that once said to me Rooney and Ronaldo weren’t good enough. Can you believe that? He actually said they weren’t good enough and he wasn’t prepared to wait until they were. That’s what happens, that’s the problem with potential – people don’t identify potential, they’re very poor at it. I’ve identified it all my life within young people – I know potential, I know how it can be developed and I know how to have faith in it - young people surprise you when you give them an opportunity. And that’s what this club is about. So when you see Manchester United at the moment with all these young players, you can’t see Manchester United three years ahead because you’re not thinking about that."
  14. Aug 15, 2011

AVARiCE Full Member

Guillem Balague has just said some stuff about de Gea, mainly that he's excellent and whatnot. I'd start worrying right about now, lads.
  15. Aug 15, 2011

KiD MoYeS Good Craig got his c'nuppins

He talked sense in fairness, to give de Gea three months to settle and to ask the same questions at the end of the season, he thinks he'll be considered in the top three 'keepers in the league by then.
  16. Aug 15, 2011

Commadus Banned

Top 3 at the moment - Cech Reina Hart?
  17. Aug 15, 2011

KiD MoYeS Good Craig got his c'nuppins

I think that is fair.
  18. Aug 15, 2011

Commadus Banned

De Gea would be doing exceptionally well if at the age of 20/21 he equals them 3.
  19. Aug 15, 2011

Escobar Poster originally known as Michel04

Glad to see the Caf is patient and willing to ignore his early mistakes.
  20. Aug 15, 2011

Talking Vulture He's shit, move on.

He'll be reet. New club nerves, that's all.

He just needs a few pints of Newcastle Brown and a couple of pie barms to bulk up and he'll be tough as old shite
  21. Aug 15, 2011

Kelvin Banned

22. Aug 15, 2011

I think its fair to assess him after 3 months. Before, it just doesnt make much sense and we always knew that we were buying potential that has to be developed, a la Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani, etc. Like these, he has the potential to be world class
  23. Aug 15, 2011

24. Aug 15, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Hansen's assessment is such a joke. De gea can't lose the faith of his team mates after just one game.
  25. Aug 15, 2011

BAMSOLA Has issues!

This.
  26. Aug 15, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    Fantastic
  27. Aug 15, 2011

Ace Full Member

Two games played, two mistakes, two victories.
  28. Aug 15, 2011

Plan M Banned

We've got a very good goal keeping coach in Eric Steele - he'll be spending a lot of time with De Gea and teaching him about the English league and how to improve his game, make no mistake about it.
  29. Aug 15, 2011

vanrooney Full Member

He made a few good saves and of course this two mistakes. We won so nothing happened and he will learn. Lets judge him after say 10-15 games. Only to mention it, bit if Fabio hadnt lost the ball cheaply the chance would have never occured. Fabio wasnt up to his standard at all imo.
  30. Aug 15, 2011

Cold_Boy Banned

I guess you can't really blame the idiot media and pundits.

They are always desperate to find faults with United.And we have won both our games so far and shown some real potential in the rest of the areas of our squad.

So they will be finding something negative to write about and De Gea makes perfect sense for them.Although there is no use of common sense there.
  31. Aug 15, 2011

golden_blunder mijn naam is Golden Blunder en ik hou van team LVG

Once he beefs up a bit and has learnt enough English to command his defence, then we'll see him get better and better.

At the moment it must be very difficult for him, trying to get by without knowing the lingo
  32. Aug 15, 2011

Cold_Boy Banned

And did anyone see DDG's reaction to our winner?
  33. Aug 15, 2011

Mickey Banned

Stop paying attention to this a while ago
    Who in gods name said that?
  34. Aug 15, 2011

BAMSOLA Has issues!

My guess has always been Ruud.

Yeah he touched the cross bar in thanks, I think he also might have crossed himself.
  35. Aug 15, 2011

MadDogg Full Member

“Manchester United never lose, they just run out o
    I'm sure that was the idea, but I would say getting him involved as much as possible would actually be the most settling thing for him. If you've just made a mistake the last thing you want is to just be standing there the next 10 minutes not doing anything and mulling over the mistake. Get him on the ball when there's no danger and let him feel a bit more in control again.

I noticed it a couple of times in the first half (especially after the mistake). Times where I expected a defender to play it back to him as that is what they would've done with VDS, but instead they attempted to force the issue and played a harder ball to another defender who wasn't really in a great position either.

Like I said, it was likely to try to take the pressure off him. But giving him the ball more often (as long as it wasn't putting him under immediate pressure obviously) probably would've been the better option.

I can't remember it happening again after Jonny and Jones came on.
  36. Aug 15, 2011

Red Dreams Full Member

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
  37. Aug 15, 2011

vanrooney Full Member

Ruud maybe. Wasnt the biggest fan of Ronaldo.
  38. Aug 15, 2011

Cold_Boy Banned

Yes but Ruud has always wanked about Rooney in the media ever since we signed him.
  39. Aug 15, 2011

BAMSOLA Has issues!

What he says in the media and what he says behind closed doors are two different things which goes for every player except Joseph Barton.
  40. Aug 15, 2011

Cold_Boy Banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.