David de Gea - 2013/14 performances

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KM, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 22, 2011

stand_free Full Member

Looks much more assured tonight.
  2. Aug 22, 2011

ricky-romeo Full Member

quick throw which lead to the second goal.well done.
  3. Aug 22, 2011

Danny1982 Full Member

Crosses and long shots are his weaknesses. He didn't show that he has improved that much in those categories tonight.
  4. Aug 22, 2011

judge2nd Full Member

Much better performance tonight. He was shaky on the one late cross, but that aside, i thought he looked fairly competent, confident, and assured. Well done.
  5. Aug 22, 2011

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

I fecking love this guy. Brilliant performance from him tonight. Really thrilled about his future with us. I bet the media with still have something to say about him. They will somehow write about his miss when Bale headed the ball and Defoe hit the post.
  6. Aug 22, 2011

WR RedCafe FIFA League Season 1 Winner

What i like about him is that even though he's low on confidence, he still opts to pick out a pass instead of simply hoofing.
  7. Aug 22, 2011

Kraftwerker Formerly RedAddict

Still finding his feet. Have to be patient.

Clean sheet. That's what matters.
  8. Aug 22, 2011

JayWalker Ball Spotter

Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
    Decent game tonight.

Some criticism is OTT. He does need to bulk up though otherwise he'll get bullied.
  9. Aug 22, 2011

ha_rooney Full Member

Much better performance as was expected, fumbled the cross but that part of his game will improve. Distribution is excellent, looked calm throughout the game and he's responded well to all the crap that was written/said about him.
  10. Aug 22, 2011

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

His distribution is unreal. He obviously needs to work on how he deals with crosses/airial challenges. That will come with time. Otherwise a good day at the office for De Gea.

He's going to have one hell of a day at Stoke, though.
  11. Aug 22, 2011

KGBhoy Full Member

Crosses are something that coaches will work on. He's a good shot stopper and great with his feet. Will make mistakes, but can be forgiven at 19 coming into a new league, new country, new language.

If he pulls through this, he will be a lot stronger mentally.
  12. Aug 22, 2011

#07 Full Member

Pleased for him tonight. He looked assured, grew in stature as the game went on and I think it was important for him personally to keep a clean sheet. He needs to stop flapping at crosses but that will come (preferably before the Bolton and Stoke games next month :P)
  13. Aug 22, 2011

Sir A1ex Full Member

Apart from holding on to just about every long shot, many of which a lot of other keepers would have only pushed away.
  14. Aug 22, 2011

Lance Uppercut Loves turn based games

Defoe is a little cnut.
  15. Aug 22, 2011

RDCR07 Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

His distribution the whole game was wonderful. His calmness, his touch, his passing is also starting to show.
  16. Aug 22, 2011

marjen Desperately wants to be like Noodle

Clean sheet, safe grip by a large, and much better distribution.

We know his reactions are great, so we just have to work on those crosses. His slight frame doesn't do him any favours there. All in all great stuff from him tonight I thought.
  17. Aug 22, 2011

Randall Flagg Worst of the best

Better but still pretty dodgy. Lets be honest

But it will come.
  18. Aug 22, 2011

CentreForward Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil

What's with the long range shots. Kicking is excellent, wonderful shot stopper, ok at set pieces, distribution is very good....but damn if only
  19. Aug 22, 2011

vanrooney Full Member

His distribution is better than that of VDS imo, and that says much. In other areas he has to learn. The presence in the area is one thing you learn with age imo. we will have to give him time and he will make mistakes. All in all i like what i have seen until now.
  20. Aug 22, 2011

RedRonaldo Full Member

He is beginning to show us what can he do on the pitch.
  21. Aug 22, 2011

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    still not perfect but getting better.

his passing is insane. towards the end of the game he just started to take the piss with his passing.
  22. Aug 22, 2011

amolbhatia100 Barbiturates ain't got nothin' on me

Presence will take a little time. It's more to do with this league being a completely different one in terms of it's physical challenges as compared to La Liga. It's a culture shock for him.

His distribution is MUCH better than VDS'. It's absolutely superb.
  23. Aug 22, 2011

Brophs The one and only

If that was almost any other keeper it would be considered a pretty solid performance. Certainly nothing to worry about with a bit of work and once he settles a bit.
  24. Aug 22, 2011

mufcwarm92 Full Member

Some great distribution, a fair few decent stops and a clean sheet. Good day at the office.
  25. Aug 22, 2011

Shimo Full Member

Glad he got that game under his belt. It probably motivates him even more now that VDV was having such "disrespectful" shots at him. But, right now he is a bit of a weak link in our defense. He'll get better as the season goes and his confidence grows.
  26. Aug 22, 2011

Tibs Full Member

Aside from a few little wobbles, he did well.

A few more games and we'll be laughing at the question marks over him
  27. Aug 22, 2011

dave2528 Full Member

This is what I think we can expect from him for a while, until he matures, until he get's used to the League, language, etc...

You can see that he has that something special though. The distribution is already top notch.
  28. Aug 22, 2011

Bear Attack Full Member

To be honest, Van Der Sar's distribution is a bit overrated. Especially in the latter portion of his time with us, he would foil many counter attacking opportunities by hoofing the ball up the pitch when the attackers haven't even returned to their positions yet.
  29. Aug 22, 2011

Zarlak Steve Round (Moderator)

Truth like rain don't give a fuck who it falls on.
    Yeah but come on, it's not Fifa... he doesn't get to spend his skill points on his attributes and turn up much better for the next game... these things take time, not a week. What he's doing right now is pretty much exactly what should be expected of him.
  30. Aug 22, 2011

Amir Full Member

Kicking brilliant throughout. Everything else, just about perfect for 80 minutes, not so much afterwards. Maybe it's about concentration, but I'm happy with what I saw. Spurs were shot-happy, clearly instructed to shoot whenever possible, but he didn't give them any encouragement and handled everything well. So a first clean sheet, and we'll take it from here.
  31. Aug 22, 2011

vanrooney Full Member

Yeah but nevertheless he was good at it. VDS biggest assets imo were his presence in the area and of course shot stopping. I think the hardest thing to learn as a gk is to boss the penalty box, so de Gea will need time and we will concede some goals. On the other hand we will make some because of his distribution. Until now its 1-1 for him in the PL.
  32. Aug 22, 2011

Anduin Full Member

His distribution was outstanding... not much wrong with his overall performance tonight either. Keep it going, David.
  33. Aug 22, 2011

Eugenius Full Member

His perceived weaknesses seem to be more of a mental thing, I doubt he'd be spilling equivalent shots at Atletico. Let him learn the language and bulk up etc.

You can't teach distribution and footwork though so he could be top top class in future.
  34. Aug 22, 2011

MUFCgal Full Member

First, and foremost it's of vital importance that he got a clean sheet in front of a welcoming OT crowd. I particularly liked the way everytime he received the ball and got it in his hands, the crowd cheered and clapped, it was fantastic to see him get that backing and hopefully it'll give him confidence.

Secondly, his distribution is class. His kicking is good, he had a little moment where he tried to take it round the Spurs player, was under a bit of pressure but he was kicked.

Let's hope he can build on this.
  35. Aug 22, 2011

Danny1982 Full Member

I'm not saying he is a flop, but responding to those saying that he's ALREADY shown great improvements in tonight's game, I was merely pointing out to the fact that he hasn't, although he wasn't tested that much tonight..

He is still insecure in crosses and long shots, however the long shots that he received today were worse than in the previous games.

It takes time for a keeper to improve those things, and he is still young, he'll definitely learn. I just hope he learns fast enough.. Today we won and everybody is happy, but he still needs to improve..
  36. Aug 22, 2011

Dave89 Full Member

Spurs' "testing" of him was patronising at times.
  37. Aug 22, 2011

Pogue Mahone Poster of the year 2008

"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
    Defoe is a dirty little cnut.

Hope De Gea won't let it rattle him. Judging by his composed response to a pressure situation tonight, I doubt he will.
  38. Aug 22, 2011

iAm20Legend Full Member

His Kicking is good, his quick throws out are excellent. Will really help against teams who've pressed up high against us. He's going to get plenty of long shot practice in the next few games and that should only help him :)

But he still has his work cut out when it comes to dealing with the high ball into the box. He needs to put some serious bulk on, and maybe stick out elbows or knees and show he's going to give as good as he gets, or else he's going to find it really hard against stoke and bolton with cnuts like Davies eager to break his ribs.
  39. Aug 22, 2011

ralphie88 Full Member

Stinker from him tonight I'm afraid. Looked weak on crosses and handling, not to mention nearly being humiliated in the first few minutes with some appalling decision making.

Looks like Jim Leighton Mk II at the moment. Hope I'm wrong. :nervous:
  40. Aug 22, 2011

Hellboy Full Member

More questions than answers tonight, the potential is obvious, but we must be patient with him. Bolton away will be a great game for him to prove the doubters wrong (in 2 weeks I think).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.