David de Gea - 2013/14 performances

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KM, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 23, 2011

ralphie88 Full Member

Exactly as it should be.
  2. Aug 23, 2011

Lance Uppercut Loves turn based games

What shots? Bring some of your books to stand on next time.
  3. Aug 23, 2011

Sultan السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Our play maker.
  4. Aug 23, 2011

BAMSOLA Has issues!

To be fair the one that he spilt which Defoe followed up on and kicked him could have been more dangerous around a more alert striker.
  5. Aug 23, 2011

ralphie88 Full Member

Perhaps you had left early.
  6. Aug 23, 2011

I'm always right Banned

Being Man United's keeper is a tougher job than I thought, you guys are harsh as feck!
  7. Aug 23, 2011

Lance Uppercut Loves turn based games

Only those who are not worthy leave early. I am actually still there. I hid in the toilets to prove that I am, not only a *******, but THE *******. I figure I can elude detection 'til the weekend.
  8. Aug 23, 2011

I'm always right Banned

Bollox, top keeping. Defoe is as sharp as they come!
  9. Aug 23, 2011

SteveJ all-round nice guy

:lol::lol:
  10. Aug 23, 2011

ralphie88 Full Member

While we're at it, when did this myth about Schmeichel's start to his United career come about? He kept a clean sheet in his first 4 games and conceded a grand total of 3 goals in his first 14 matches for us.

Not saying that's anything to do with the price of fish re De Gea, but I've just heard a few folk repeating this myth.

Although, fr what it's worth, Schmikes was bobbins when he was De Gea's age (take a look at Euro1988!)
  11. Aug 23, 2011

bergen Author of gayest thread 07/08

SAF is one of the people repeating that myth.
  12. Aug 23, 2011

BAMSOLA Has issues!

If he had gambled as the shot was coming in he would have had more luck and it wasn't really top keeping as he should either have held it or pushed it wide one of the two.

This however is nit-picking and he did very well on his OT debut.
  13. Aug 23, 2011

Danny1982 Full Member

By the way, do you think De Gea's weaknesses could be his strengths sometimes?? Obviously everybody is talking about how vulnerable De Gea is at crosses and long shots.. Do you think that can affect how the players of the opposite teams will think when attacking us, which could mess up their usual plan and style of play, which in turn will work for our advantage in the end?

I have to say that definitely happened tonight.. I think Spurs would have had a better chance against us had they played their normal way and forgot about De Gea's weakness, which was definitely in their minds when they were on the attack..

Also does that mean that De Gea will receive more forced (and less dangerous) long shots and too many unnecessary (easy) crosses which will be a great training for him to improve and gain confidence quick in those departments?

At least I hope so..
  14. Aug 23, 2011

Ole'sbodyguard Full Member

Agree with this. Said it in this thread.

Schmiechel was quality from the moment he made his United debut and was an instant success.

That season was the first time United ever had the best defence in the league under Big Ron or Fergie and Schmeichel's arrival was one of the massive reasons we suddenly became a title challenging side in 91/92. The attack and the midfield was already decent enough.

By the end of the season he was recognised by most as the best in the country and Europe after Euro 92.

It's a myth. I think Fergie's been rolling it out to help De Gea's confidence.
  15. Aug 23, 2011

ralphie88 Full Member

Well yes, he also thought Schmikes made his debut at Wimbledon. :nervous:
  16. Aug 23, 2011

EvilChuck Full Member

I thought the same. Van Der Vaart particularly was ridiculous, just shooting from anywhere basically. Defoe at least once had a good chance to pass out wide to Lennon but instead chose to take an awkward shot off balance from the edge of the area. If thats how teams want to play, then fine. Its not every week that someone will hit one as sweet as Dzeko did, or a sweet as (I think) Huddlestone did late on tonight, and if people want to assume that De Gea is not good enough to make routine saves, then let them try pot shots from outside the box.
  17. Aug 23, 2011

Scrumpet There are no words

It was odd, he did very well under a lot of pressure for most of the game and was extremely composed, and then when the game was all but won a few errors crept in. In any case a clean sheet and a good OT debut. Should build his confidence somewhat.
  18. Aug 23, 2011

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    Long passages of nothing to do will do it to you.
  19. Aug 23, 2011

Ace Full Member

Looked confident enough today. Did what was asked of him.
  20. Aug 23, 2011

puNANI Full Member

In 2 months time he will be brilliant for us. The raw talent is there. He just needs to adjust to the English game and learn English so he can communicate with the others better.
  21. Aug 23, 2011

marcus agrippa Full Member

Wait...what?
  22. Aug 23, 2011

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    ... what
  23. Aug 23, 2011

Wibble In Gadus Speramus

Anything less than 100% perfect is being exaggerated beyond all belief. He had a good game with the odd error. He will benefit from more games in the PL and from United coaching who will be concentrating on his handling of crosses I'm sure. He will also probably bulk up a bit which will help with the physical stuff in the box. Not the finished article but a good buy IMO.
  24. Aug 23, 2011

Devil may care Full Member

He's doing ok, like I said he needs time and the constant scrutiny is not helping him.
  25. Aug 23, 2011

Ace Full Member

He's surrounded by players, coaches, family, and handlers at the club all helping him and rooting for him to succeed. I'm not sure he's reading many English tabloids or listening to what they have to say on Sky Sports. It's probably best his English isn't fluent.
  26. Aug 23, 2011

fatboy Full Member

If it was any other keeper, it would not even warrant a mention. The media is aware that this whole "wobbly De Gea" slant has legs, and they're just milking it for the benefit of their readers. This was always the danger with United keepers, and that's not to say the same would not happen to Lindegaard if it ever came to that.

All he can do is keep on working on his game, and hopefully the media will just pick up on other more newsworthy stories they can run with as the season progresses. United is hardly the ideal finishing school for keepers, but that's what De Gea will have to live with for now.
  27. Aug 23, 2011

Commadus Banned

Good = instead of parrying shots he held onto them showing good glove skills.
    He took good positions in goals so the shots were never troublesome.
    His footwork is excellent perhaps the best in the league already.
    Geneal alertness was good.

Bad = The cross he fumbled he made one major error - now to me it looked like it was more a dithering error rather than a purely technical error. Jones very early decides De Gea should come for the ball but he dithers before coming out. Now when he does come out he is jumping slightly to the side but reaching for the ball - this is why he fumbles it.

He is actually behind the opposition player when he takes the ball. The ball may have just skimmed off the players head - its very close.

The major point is that I don't think De Gea is jumping high enough he is still using his long reach to cath the ball this leaves him open to being hit.

Keepers like Reina jump early and high and try to get as much elevation into their jump so their arms are not at full stretch when they catch the ball. catching the ball with arms bent is always the best option. Also when you jump high and early you can get your elbow or knee up for protection neither of which De Gea can do if he doesnt jump high and reaches with straight arms.

The spill late on is nothing much - he recovered and showed good composure to reclaim the loose ball.
  28. Aug 23, 2011

gbgary Full Member

very composed, made all the right decisions, had a very good game on a big stage. hope he builds on it.
  29. Aug 23, 2011

Nathan Full Member

I thought overall he gave a very assured performance. Certainly the commentators John Champion and Danny Mills ripped into him at every opportunity which i thought was a bit unfair.

On debut i think he did well enough and certainly the crowd seemed behind his every move. His distribution was good and the routine stops were just that routine.
  30. Aug 23, 2011

I'm always right Banned

Exactly, what a footballer this lad is!
  31. Aug 23, 2011

iAm20Legend Full Member

Exactly, if that was Joe Hart yesterday, the pundits would be on about how great his distribution was, how he stopped everything, and just had a momentary lapse towards the end.
  32. Aug 23, 2011

LLMU Full Member

Really great feet ... esp that drag back before being hack down by VDV
  33. Aug 23, 2011

Carl has permanently erect nipples

A "stinker"? Utter rubbish by Ralphie there.

He had a decent game. Showed some good handling but then also had a 5 minute brain fart near the end.
  34. Aug 23, 2011

Livvie Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn

Someone said that half of Caf members were thick.
    I'd agree with that.

And it's quite scary. Because not many 20 year olds could handle the kind of pressure he's been under. So what will he be like when he's matured? :nervous:
  35. Aug 23, 2011

LLMU Full Member

a combination of Schmikes and VdS ?
  36. Aug 23, 2011

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    I like what I see
  37. Aug 23, 2011

ricky-romeo Full Member

de gea is already a better passer of the ball than he ever was.:lol:
  38. Aug 23, 2011

Devilton Banned

I want to see this lad gain a good 10-12 kg in a few years time and pack on some muscle mass. He looks fraile at times and I can only shudder to think what will happen when we play Bolton, Stoke or even Chelsea away.

There is quality there, but he needs to work on his physique (sort of like Welbeck had to a few seasons ago).
  39. Aug 23, 2011

Stretch Full Member

That was much much better last night. Everything he does is being put under a spotlight because of his earlier mistakes and our history with goalkeepers. He needs to work on his handling of crosses and then he'll be fine.

The shot spill last was not a mistake. Well, if it was then surely Friedel at the other end did the same when Rooney followed up his 'spill' with a shot, no?

So if he can put on about 10kgs in muscle, and work on his handling technique then we have a gem in the waiting.
  40. Aug 23, 2011

SharkyMcShark Horrified

Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
    Oh god, Mills was on one last night that was doing my head in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.