Davinson Sánchez - Ajax

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by RedMaestro, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 20, 2017

RedMaestro Full Member

Been reading a bit about this talented CB and he seems to be "the real deal", but unfortunately I've only seen highlights of his performances (means nothing). Haven't seen a thread about him, so can anyone who regularly watches him tell me about his qualities? Is he good enough for PL, Manchester United or is he still too young?

Born: 1996, Colombia
    Height: 1.88m

2. Mar 20, 2017

bucky Full Member

3. Mar 20, 2017

Sammyjunn Full Member

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
    He reminds me a bit of Bailly tbh, very strong, quick (not as quick as Bailly though), athletic, but also quite good on the ball, no nonsense defender when needed and he has scored a few goals as well. One of Ajax best players this season, but still very raw at times and imo needs 2 more seasons here, not United quality yet. Eredivisie strikers are very different from PL Strikers, he'd lose much of his physical advantage.
  4. Mar 20, 2017

RedMaestro Full Member

Are you sure? In the video clip I show of Davinson Sánchez you can look at when he takes the ball from Richairo Zivkovic - from minute 2.01. Don't know if you seen this player, but Zivkovic is the player that scored an impressive goal in which he ran extremely fast. From the independent -
    From minute 2.01:

This is where you can see Zivkovic run really fast:

Shouldn't this mean that Sanchez is pretty fast, maybe even fast than Bailly? Or is all because of the "timing"?
  5. Mar 20, 2017

Sammyjunn Full Member

Zivkovic is a speed devil true, but he slowed down a bit as he was running with the ball, Sanchez ran in the correct line and timed it to perfection, if it was a through ball, I think Zivkovic would have left him. He's fast but more like Koscielny fast I think than Smalling(of a few years ago or Bailly fast.
  6. Mar 20, 2017

RedMaestro Full Member

Still seems to be very impressive. Going to be interesting to follow this talented player. I should probably watch some Ajax games.
  7. Mar 20, 2017

Crashoutcassius Full Member

should we sign zivkovic haha
  8. Mar 20, 2017

Sammyjunn Full Member

Yeah, Barcelona wanted to have him before he moved to Ajax, Ajax got him now and Barcelona is keeping tabs. He is talented but so where many others at Ajax in recent years, just reserving some judgement. Ones to watch are Onana, Tete, De Ligt, Sanchez, Dolberg, Kluivert and possibly Nouri/Frenkie de Jong/de Beek. In the academy with Che Nunnely, Daishawn Redan (linked to various clubs) there are some good prospects coming up. Im a bit bitter tho as we threw away the title last year and Feyenoord is going to win it this year.
  9. Mar 20, 2017

Spiersey Chelsea fan

Watched a wee bit of him at Nacional and Colombia u20s, stood out in a couple of those games. One to keep an eye on.
  10. Mar 20, 2017

RedMaestro Full Member

A lot of interesting names. I've seen Kluivert once and he's seems to be really good. Usually difficult for players to great players to be good as well. But yes, it's difficult to know how good the players are and can be given the league's "standard".

I'm a bit surprised of Feyenoord's season. Probably Ajax "underperforming" in the league, or?

An off-topic question but speaking of children to famous players - how's Henrik Larsson's son, Jordan, been doing in the Eredivisie?
  11. Mar 20, 2017

Sammyjunn Full Member

Yeah the Eredivisie isnt what it once was but it doesnt mean good players cant come from it. I think I'd say good players need to be really proven first, and even that isnt guarantee. Memphis was proven but failed, while Wijnaldum who was excellent but Memphis still the star, is now one of the best midfielders in the Prem, as is Eriksen. It's a bit tricky. Havent followed Larsson at all tbf.
  12. Mar 21, 2017 at 16:55

Lordyfw New Member

Supports:
    AFC Ajax
    I haven't watched that many games in foreign leagues (am Dutch myself), due to lack of time this year (started a new study). Try to watch the resumes, but I think one can only judge a players performence when he's seen the whole match. Therefore I can't compare his performances with e.g. Bailly, as @Sammyjunn briefly did some posts above.

As for my view on him: he has an impressive debut season, no doubt. When I heared it was an official deal with Atletico Nacional, I was a bit sceptic and thought he would struggle. Not so much because I knew him and watched his play in Colombia, but more so because the defensive line the previous season was imo the best line Ajax had. Nevertheless he right from the start was our first-choice rcb, pushing Veltman to the rb-position (at which he had played the last months of the previous season due to injuries) and Tete to the bench (who had the beforementioned injury). Alongside the (for Dutch standards) experienced Viergever, he adapted extremely well to the league and quickly became the leader of our back-four.
    He's an aggressive defender, trying to boss the opponents attackers with his phisique and good tackling abilities. He's a good header (has already scored 4 I believe) and is a real threat in the box with free kicks and corners. Has a good shot in him as well, scored a nice one from a some 30-35 meters against Heracles Almelo three weeks ago. That goal is a good example of his forward thinking as well. He often rushes forward, with or without the ball, to help the offence (same as Viergever btw). At the start of the season this was not yet the case, but it's something he's currently developing. With his speed, as mentioned before and visible in the clip with Zivkovic, he has the possibility to recover in case the ball is lost and the opponent counters. And as soon as the ball is lost, he starts 'hunting' the ball (no idea if that's normal English terminology, but suppose you can guess the meaning). Sometimes this has a negative effect, but mostly he times well enough to at least not worsen things.
    Currently he's having a slight fallback in my opinion, making more mistakes, has more imprecise passes and has had two or three morronic moments in the last couple of games where he, instead of taking the easy route, tries to make some tricks at our backline to get past an attacker, but instead of losing the attacker, he loses the ball, since his technique isn't good enough to do such things. Good thing he tries things and there is a time and place for that, but that's most certainly not in those positions.
    I blame this fallback on fatigue though. In the summer he won the Copa Libertadores with Nacional, giving him minimal rest, and it's only his first full season in professional football. Quite the change if you ask me.

He's supposedly followed by different clubs, with Barcelona, who even tried to sign him last summer, being the most eye-catching name of course. Imo he should stay at Ajax for some more years, develop and hopefully help Ajax win trophies. Just like samyjunn, I'll reserve my judgement for now. There were, are and always will be interesting prospects playing at Ajax, but it is to be seen whether they will make it or not. Only last year Jairo Riedewald (the first-choice lcb before his injury, after that Viergever came in) was highly praised for his defensive abilities, yet now it's unlikely he'll get his starting place back from Viergever and it seems even Mathijs de Ligt, another of those hot prospects, has surpassed him and it looks like he'll leave in the summerwindow (though I hope not).

We'll wait and see.

Ps. Would love to post some video's of the moments I described, but being in the newbie-system, I can't upload them here, thus you must search them for yourself.

Feyenoord are having an outstanding season. They now have 69 points, only 2 less than the champion of 13/14 (Ajax), whilst there are 21 more points to be won. If they win all the seven games, it will be the second highest score ever in the Eredivisie. Nonetheless, Ajax is underperforming in the sense that the points they miss, are mostly against right-table teams (such as last game against Excelsior Rotterdam, 1-1).
    Regarding Jordan Henderson, no idea mate. Had a good start, but hasn't played in their last 5 matches. Don't know anything else.
  13. Mar 21, 2017 at 17:22

RedMaestro Full Member

Thanks for your information on Sanchez. Very interesting to read. If you'd like and there are specific Youtube highlights you want to show to better explain things, I or someone else can post them for you.
  14. Mar 21, 2017 at 20:04

Lordyfw New Member

Supports:
    AFC Ajax
    Have rewatched some of the match-highlights uploaded by Ajax. Apart from the standard highlight-video's on youtube (one of them has already been posted), there are several moments I think could help make a (more) complete image of him as a player. If you could be so kind to post them? As said, they're all from match-highlights at Ajax's youtube-channel.

Fc Utrecht v Ajax:
    - 4.11. Showing his pass-ability
    Fc Twente v Ajax:
    - 1.30 defending nicely and immediatly thinking forward
    - 4.40 preventing a 100% oppertunity from a counter
    AZ v Ajax:
    - 2.20 tries to do it with trickery at the backline, instead of clearing the ball
    Vitesse v Ajax
    - 1.14 tries to clear the ball, but doesn't succeed (twice)
    - 2.57 loses his man after a free kick
    - 3.33 used his body defensively well, although some referies might have seen a foul in it I guess
    Ajax v Heracles
    - 1.40 bad timing
    - 4.30 the goal I mentioned. Shot from a 35-ish meter
    - 4.57 preventing a 100% oppertunity

I have more (both positive and negative) moments in mind, but those didn't appear in the highlights, proving once again one shouldn't judge a player solely based on them.
  15. Mar 21, 2017 at 20:28

RedMaestro Full Member

@Lordyfw Here are the videos, sorry it took a while - didn't see the post at first. I've tried to start the videos from your preferred minutes but for some reason it's not working. I thought they would allow forums to show the videos but they want people to watch them from Youtube - there are maybe other videos out there, I can check if you want or is this ok? But you've at least written it so people can still find it very easy. Is this ok or do you need something else - have I missed anything? Must say you've done a really good job. Sánchez certainly has some parts to improve but I still like what I'm seeing.

Fc Utrecht v Ajax:
    Starts from minute - 4.11. Showing his pass-ability

Fc Twente v Ajax:
    Starts from minute - 1.30 defending nicely and immediatly thinking forward
    Starts from minute - 4.40 preventing a 100% oppertunity from a counter

AZ v Ajax:
    Starts from minute - 2.20 tries to do it with trickery at the backline, instead of clearing the ball

Vitesse v Ajax
    Starts from minute - 1.14 tries to clear the ball, but doesn't succeed (twice)
    Starts from minute - 2.57 loses his man after a free kick
    Starts from minute - 3.33 used his body defensively well, although some referies might have seen a foul in it I guess

Ajax v Heracles
    Starts from minute - 1.40 bad timing
    Starts from minute - 4.30 the goal I mentioned. Shot from a 35-ish meter
    Starts from minute - 4.57 preventing a 100% oppertunity

16. Mar 21, 2017 at 20:46

Lordyfw New Member

Supports:
    AFC Ajax
    Nah, it's fine this way. Those interested can check the links you provided. Thanks!
    And I'm with you. I rate him highly and he's shown to be a formidable defender in Eredivisie-terms this season, but before he could or should make the step up, he has to improve certain aspects of his game. But well, I sadly have to be realistic in saying that if he didn't need to improve, he would never have played for Ajax now.
  17. Mar 21, 2017 at 21:00

RedMaestro Full Member

Oh, ok and you're welcome.

True, but it's still a good move, with or without the need to improve. He's very young (especially for a defender) and is from South America where the game is probably a bit different to what is played in Europe. So he'll need time to both get used to the European style of football and also the cultural differences so Ajax and similar clubs are often a good "stepping stone". Usually takes some time regardless of the players quality.
  18. Mar 22, 2017 at 01:18

bucky Full Member

Very good post, thanks. Perhaps one of the mods can give you a like, if they haven't already. @Damien @Invictus
  19. Mar 23, 2017 at 00:34

Lordyfw New Member

Supports:
    AFC Ajax
    Thank you as well for the support. Have already been awarded a like for the post you quoted, but could still do with more, haha.
    If anything special happens regarding him, I will try to remember posting it in this thread.