Day 26: England vs Croatia Waist Coat Semi-Final

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by K2K, Jul 10, 2018.

?

What is 'coming home'?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2018.
  1. Football (England to beat Croatia)

64.9%
  2. England football team (Croatia to beat England)

35.1%
  1. Jul 11, 2018

Patrick08 Full Member

Not bizzare one Bit. English rarely concentrate on technical side of the sport in any sport.
  2. Jul 11, 2018

Foxbatt Full Member

Should he have played Cahill and Jones or at least one of them as a CB? Stones went to sleep for the second goal. I think this was where England lost. The defence was at fault for the 2 goals conceded and these should not have been conceded like this at this level.
  3. Jul 11, 2018

Grinner Fat gutted, hairy shouldered, stinky Arse. Staff

Supports:
    Arsenal
    In the 70's we had dinosaur managers who overlooked our talented players for cloggers and workhorses.
  4. Jul 11, 2018

kidbob Full Member Knee-jerker

:lol: Touche
  5. Jul 11, 2018

Nikhil Banned

Wow, I didn't know Eboue did that. If so, that was an absolutely awful heartless thing to do. He also celebrated Charles Krauthammer's death in the CE forum which I found really classless.
  6. Jul 11, 2018

Mogget Full Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Some do. I have at times.
  7. Jul 11, 2018

Vato Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    How many times has that happened with Spain throughout the years because their style was "boring"?

Altough I have to admit that you won't find many (if any) spanish Madrid fans who root against the national team.
  8. Jul 11, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Well, I've rooted all my life for Argentina and Holland without having any relations with them, and felt pissed of when they lost (especially in 2010). Probably I haven't felt more pissed of for a football match bar 2 UCL finals we lost.

This WC, I chose Croatia and Switzerland to support, and have been happy so far. But I don't think that I would might if they lose the final, they already did much better than I was expecting them to do.
  9. Jul 11, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Yes. And Rooney in midfield with Peter Crouch in attack. That would have been so England and football would have come home for real.
  10. Jul 11, 2018

Grinner Fat gutted, hairy shouldered, stinky Arse. Staff

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Jones! FFS
  11. Jul 11, 2018

Cloud7 Full Member

I don’t think you can. I have players I like from loads of different countries, and without the tribal loyalty that club football brings with it, I’m able to watch them and want to see them doing well.

In international tournaments I often change the team I’m supporting every couple games :lol: I’ve always found it really weird that people can be die hard fans of another country when they have absolutely no connection to said country.
  12. Jul 11, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Almost everyone here who rooted against England (or for the other team) isn't English.
  13. Jul 11, 2018

endless_wheelies feeling dizzy

It's because of recent history like losing to Iceland, then the last squad before the World Cup containing the likes of Tarkowski, Mawson etc that added up to make everyone just write us off as a Burnley among international teams.

Not sure we have the best players in the league like you say - they are mostly just first team fillers than genuine stars like Hazard, De Bruyne, Pogba etc - but a 50/50 toss up vs Colombia, beating Sweden then another 50/50 v Croatia is about where we should be.

The impressive part was the style, consistency and togetherness - 3-5-2 was definitely built more for Foden/Sancho/Sessegnon/etc more than Henderson/Alli/Lingard/etc.
  14. Jul 11, 2018

P-Nut0712 fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Kane playing in midfield was suicide. Couldn't keep the ball or play to a tall striker. Was like playing with 10 men at times. He was world class against Colombia, but looked out on his feet ever since.
  15. Jul 11, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Can play him in next match so he can try and tackle Hazard properly this time.
  16. Jul 11, 2018

Robertd0803 Full Member

Modric is simply amazing. No other word for him. Thought Croatia looked knackered and legless in the first half but then started playing in the second. Wouldnt say no to Peresic and Mandzukic.

Thought too many England players didnt contribute enough, Kane, Delle Alli and Henderson were very quiet, Lingard and Rashford didnt have their best nights either.

Kane being Golden Boot winner will be a bit odd.

Maguire was very good and Trippier ran himself in to the ground. Walker blocking getting injured but then getting up to clear again before collasping in a heap showed great desire and reminded me of Terry vs Algeria?

For all the talk that this is the start of something Im not sure I agree. The likes of Spain/Germany/Italy will be under immense pressure to do better in Euro 2020 and Belgium/France will still be stronger.Wont make it any easier for England.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  17. Jul 11, 2018

hellhunter New Member

Maybe it's just semantics, I can easily understand why they wouldn't root for England, but for me there is a difference between not rooting for them and being actively happy when they lose, at least as long as you have no connection / support for their opponent.
  18. Jul 11, 2018

Irrational. Full Member

Definitely agreed with you on this part. It does look very promising for England. Reminds me of the numerous times Germany got to the semis, before they eventually got the mix right with Lahm, Schweinsteiger and youngsters like Muller. (We'll ignore this tournament :D:wenger:)
  19. Jul 11, 2018

hellhunter New Member

Sure, that's a more than valid reason, but there is a certain type of United fan who revels at every England loss, no matter who they're playing. That is confusing for me, especially when it's a team void of Terrys and Gerrards.
  20. Jul 11, 2018

Jed I. Knight The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

Sure. I’ve been an England fan for as long as I can remember following football, and it hurts just as bad seeing England go out as it does my own country. Although in fairness, we barely ever qualify.

I’m a United fan first and foremost, sure, but whenever I go over I love to attend some lower league matches as well, and meet and talk to all sorts of people who just care about football as much as I do. When England are playing, they represent that culture of football that is what makes the game the special to me, even if I don’t have an English passport.

So tonight I’m gutted.
  21. Jul 11, 2018

Man of Leisure Full Member

Was impressed by the job Trippier did last season. There was a reason Pochettino was playing him even when Walker was there.
  22. Jul 11, 2018

OverratedOpinion Full Member

I think he was our best player. I spent big parts of the tournament amazed at what it felt like having a right back with good delivery.
  23. Jul 11, 2018

Carolina Red Moderator Staff

Depends on what you consider a connection, I guess.

I root for France, but I’ve been to France a few times and loved it, love their history, etc.
  24. Jul 11, 2018

Carolina Red Moderator Staff

Well said.
  25. Jul 11, 2018

Fingeredmouse Full Member

I'm not sure England have a national anthem. That's the British one.
  26. Jul 11, 2018

InspiRED Full Member

Congrats to Croatia, I thought it was deserved in the end.

We should have been more ruthless in the first half. I would usually back Lingard to at least hit the target from that position.

Modric ran the show in the second half, a true world class performance. Getting overrun in midfield led to us physically breaking down late in the second half.

Thought Henderson had a good tournament but this was a step too far for him and we need more quality in the middle of the park which will hopefully be coming from our successful youth squads.

Glad I don't have to see us try and play out from the back against France's midfield at least.

Hope Croatia win it.
  27. Jul 11, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

They don't but they start football matches with this (Scotland doesn't).

Regardless, this isn't the point. The point is that it is a bit ironical to talk about unelected leaders of EU (which isn't true considering that they are elected) and the lack of democracy as a reason to leave EU when one of the two rooms of the senate and the entire crown are unelected.
  28. Jul 11, 2018

Raw Full Member

I probably have another 11 or 12 more World Cup before I die. I still don't fancy my chances of seeing England win it!
  29. Jul 11, 2018

GeorgieBoy Full Member

Supports:
    Manchester United.
    I would just like to apologise for the bolded part of my post I sent early on in this thread. I was drunk and upset we had lost; so apologies to all non-English United fans I pissed off.
    Club>Country.
  30. Jul 11, 2018

Demyanenko_square_jaw Full Member

The sheer arrogance of Neville calling Croatia a very poor side at half-time. England bottled this, all they needed to do was keep playing like the first half, it's not like they were doing anything too taxing, but they came out for the second like they had all just collectively realised this was a game they were supposed to throw and. Offered nothing different tactically after Croatia equalised.

That Lingard shot from the edge of the box after the best move of the game, where he just tamely tried to pass it into the corner instead of carrying it forward or hitting a properly struck shot and Stones awareness for the winner must have been very infuriating moments for England fans.
  31. Jul 11, 2018

Sing you a song Full Member

Absolutely gutted tonight I’ve waited a lifetime for England to get to a final.Youthful enthusiasm carried us through an easy draw to the semi’s where we inevitably got found out . Southgate did a great job dragging a mediocre squad this far ,but we seemed to freeze at the moment of truth ,
    . I’m 60 now so think I will never see England in a major final ( I don’t remember 66 ) theplayers are not good enough and with multi millions available to the top clubs for transfer funds I can’t see the England team improving much.
    I thought too many players went missing tonight with Dee Lingard ; Kane the main culprits
  32. Jul 11, 2018

Fingeredmouse Full Member

Yes, I got that.
    Just curious that the perceived national anthem is an Imperialist anthem which, as you rightly say, celebrates the power of monarchy.
    Perhaps, there's something in these facts that underpin some of the discomfort many feel regarding the English national side.
  33. Jul 11, 2018

Revan Assumptionman

Nah, I think that for most (at least for me) it is because the team, pundits and people felt bullish before the tournaments, only to get eggs on their face every single time, which make it hilarious. Now, this time it wasn't the case, and so a lot of people which usually want England to lose, felt sympathy for them (even rooted for them against Sweden), but still old habits remain.
  34. Jul 11, 2018

MDFC Manager Full Member

All the English arrogance, in a simple nutshell.
  35. Jul 11, 2018

Cassady Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    There was no way England were winning tonight. They create no goals from open but apart from that their lack of experience was the key for me. I read last night about the difference in trophies won and big games the players have played in. It was men against boys out there tonight and it showed.

I had France / Croatia final at 25/1 that I put on after the group stages so happy from a gambling sense.
  36. Jul 11, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Shots fired ?
  37. Jul 11, 2018

Cassady Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley

Supports:
    Accrington Stanley.
    Also... they bookies always had England favs which baffled me. Inplay too at 1 - 1 England were still favs and as the game progressed England were still favs. Baffling.
  38. Jul 11, 2018

GlastonSpur Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum

Supports:
    Spurs
    I really don't care because it's so obviously and untrue and ridiculous claim.
  39. Jul 11, 2018

Andycoleno9 Full Member

Btw our players and even manager who is cool and calm said after the game that they were pissed how england underestimate them. Lovren especially.
  40. Jul 11, 2018

Guy Incognito Full Member

Bloody knew that would happen. :(