De Gea vs. Schmeichel: best highlight reel?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Fortitude, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dec 2, 2017

Fortitude TV/Monitor Expert Scout

Not a thread about best keeper - this is purely about incredulous saves amassing to the extent that a tremendous and extensive showreel can be made for both of them.

DDG is rapidly putting together more saves of this calibre in his 27yrs than you're likely to see from even top keepers over a career, which is incredible.

Anyway, who's your pick?

Mods poll?
  2. Dec 2, 2017

Kush Full Member

DDG for me, best I've ever seen too.
  3. Dec 2, 2017

el3mel Full Member

David. Can't imagine how his YouTube video will be when he retires. A single video won't be enough.
  4. Dec 2, 2017

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

Todays match alone would make up a youtube montage.
  5. Dec 3, 2017

rpg Full Member

They both tie. De gea make better saves but Peter won everything in his United career and made saves at crucial match. Think the penalty save from Bergkamp before Giggs rampaging through 4-5 players and score past Seaman at the other end
  6. Dec 3, 2017

SER19 Full Member

The thing that sets de gea apart from other keepers is that he makes a higher number of saves that, has he conceded, nobody would have batted an eyelid
  7. Dec 3, 2017

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

One thing that stands out in Schmeichel's highlight reel is rushing out to cut the angle when one on one and knocking the ball before striker even noticed the keeper. He was brilliant at it.
  8. Dec 3, 2017

Longlivekeano Full Member

Diff type of goalies with diff methods, diff strengths.

- De Gea (reflexes, agility, accuracy of kicking, calmness)

- Schmeichel (claiming crosses, strength and physicality, accuracy and distance in throws, Organising Defence)

So a good YouTube video should feature both goalies
  9. Dec 3, 2017

Mr Smith Full Member

I've only been watching and following football consistently for about 10 years, but in that time, I can honestly say I've never seen a keeper with as sharp reactions as De Gea. No one makes difficult, lightning-quick saves as consistently as he does.

Whether that makes him the best, I'm not sure, but in terms of sheer reaction time, I've never seen anyone else that comes close.
  10. Dec 3, 2017

Lentwood Full Member

Schmeichel had unnaturally good reflexes for a big bloke but they pale into comparison with DDG. I honestly think DDG is the best GK ever. I’ve never seen a keeper like him
  11. Dec 3, 2017

championo Top Stalker

The standard to meet as a goal keeper was set by Schmeichel for me. DDG is almost there, there are clips of Schmeichel's making consistent saves as we saw from DDG against Arsenal. This is just a case of what have you done for me lately. If you want to refresh your memory, I leave you with this.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. Dec 3, 2017

Bury Red Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!

De Gea's shot stopping is now more consistent than Schmikes ever managed, particularly his ability to pull off multiple reflex saves from one attack.

I'd still give Schmeichel the slight edge for the other things he did though; his command of our whole defence, his ability to come out and close players down, the insane 90th minute runs into the opposition box for a Fergie time winner, the ability to catch and hold the ball even with one hand rather than parrying it back into play and particularly his NFL Quarterback like ability to throw the ball 2/3 the length of the pitch and still land it on Giggsy's toe or Sparky's chest.