1. United Hour Podcast: The First Wobble
    Dismiss Notice

Decision to start Fellaini

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Ayush_reddevil, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mar 13, 2018

Ayush_reddevil Full Member

Can anyone think of a logical reason for this decision in the second leg of a 0-0 tie against a Spanish team . I actually don't mind Fellaini in general and he can be useful in certain circumstances but what exactly was his role in a game like this against a team that doesn't play long or crosses much at all ?
  2. Mar 13, 2018

Utdstar01 Full Member

Worst decision he's made at the club so far. I don't think that's even an exaggeration.
  3. Mar 13, 2018

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Pogba actually was much worse when he came on.

So I'm not sure if it would have been any better if he started.
  4. Mar 13, 2018

Jacko21 Full Member

Did anyone predict him to start?

I was actually taken aback when I saw his name on the team sheet. I was convinced McTominay would retain his place or Pogba would start.

We put a couple of diagonal crosses in for him, but that can't have been the only tactic and the reason for his inclusion.

Surely he wasn't resting McTominay? And with Pogba not fit to start.
  5. Mar 13, 2018

Vilev Banned

It's easy. Remember these moments, where we crossed the ball into the box and Fellaini was there on a far post, he even headed it down towards Lukaku dangerously once?
    Well Jose hoped that it won't matter that we play poorly for like 80-90% of the time. We will get that one chance from open play or set piece, we score and then we close the shop and keep it 1-0.
  6. Mar 13, 2018

Eire Red United Full Member

Surprised McTominay didn’t start given how well he’s been playing. Idk what’s wrong with Pogba he really needs a kick up the hole from someone.
  7. Mar 13, 2018

Crazy thing is that this aspect actually makes our play even worse , as soon as he plays we forget normal link up play and just launch it to him
  8. Mar 13, 2018

TrebleFan99 New Member

There’s no good reason for starting Fellaini. Absolutely disgusting.

I defend Mourinho constantly but this evening was a disgrace. To get the tactics so wrong in both legs is just unacceptable.

Fellaini wasn’t even particularly bad tonight but if that’s who United starts in a European elimination match at home then feck it all.

I could not have possibly imagined a worse effort tonight. We need a major rebuild and that is very concerning given the money spent in the last 2-3 years. We didn’t even look like we belonged in the last 16.
  9. Mar 13, 2018

gza the genius Full Member

I knew how we were going to play once I saw that Fellaini was starting but in the context of the actual game he played well. He had a couple good chances and we didn't concede. Mctominay probably needed a break a we got worse when Pogba came on so criticising the choice to play Fellaini seems a weird one.
  10. Mar 13, 2018

Vilev Banned

Yeop, that is the plan.
    You need a proper attacking play to actually pass you way out of defence. Jose does not do those. So a hoop towards Lukaku and Fellaini seems like a decent way out.
  11. Mar 13, 2018

Rifer Full Member

The actual problem is letting Matic left isolated.

I blame Mourinho for this one.
  12. Mar 13, 2018

abdo99 Full Member

He is not United quality. He tries his best but desperately lacks quality. What do three managers see in him that we can't? I'm baffled.
  13. Mar 13, 2018

Leroy The Red Full Member

Yeah, said that in the performance thread. It might literally be the worse decision Mourinho has made since joining. And there was literally no logical reason for it. Sevilla don't have tall players, they're not a long ball team. He's not started in months, th mind boggles.
  14. Mar 13, 2018

kitress New Member

We didn't lose the game with Fellaini on. We lost the game with Pogba's coming on for him. Half of Pogba's passes were to Sevilla players and those were simple passes.
  15. Mar 13, 2018

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

It wasn't so much starting him, it was more the way he played him.

When the team news came out, I thought Fellaini would sit next to Matic - you know, a proper double pivot. As it was, Jose ended up playing Lingard and Fellaini above Matic, which was a very strange decision, to say the least.
  16. Mar 13, 2018

Issue is that in a tie like this you can't afford to be cautious and let it drift , once it got to 60 minutes at 0-0 it was always going to be harder for us because there would be no time to come back
  17. Mar 13, 2018

James Peril Banned

It was very cute seeing Fellaini loft balls over the defensive unit, trying to aim at our attacking players on the run. Didn’t make the passes of course, looked like some unfortunate kid that had won a lottery during half-time. Then you realize it’s the Champions League and we need a goal.... and Fellaini is dictating our play.
  18. Mar 13, 2018

redshaw Full Member

I feel no McTominay was worse. He covered the back four well on the deck against Liverpool, just what we needed against Sevilla to break from the back.

I'm not a fan of Fellaini, he does more bad than good and hope he's replaced in the summer, I would've gone with the team that beat Liverpool with Rashford on the left but tonight Fellaini went off while at 0-0. 65 mins in and five minutes after Fellaini went off I could see Sevilla knew it was their night, then on 75 mins they just waltzed through the middle for the first goal so easily.

Certainly I was not confident when I saw Fellaini starting from nowhere and Rashford after a great performance at the weekend put on the right. Jose could've brought McTominay on though, we were still 0-0. Jose fecked up the start and the subs at 0-0.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  19. Mar 13, 2018

Jazz Full Member

Should have stuck with McTominay. The kid plays well with Matic, why change that??! He didn't do anything to get dropped for Fellaini who clearly wouldn't be match fit to be starting a game of this magnitude.
  20. Mar 13, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Whatever Jose envisioned Fellaini bringing to the side clearly didn't come off so yeah that decision is on him
  21. Mar 13, 2018

adexkola Arsenal supporter

Me, and you. Yo momma, and yo cousin too.
    Supports:
    orderly disembarking on planes
    We were still level when he came off. Not sure why he started. It's a shame that McTominay didn't start, in retrospect.
  22. Mar 13, 2018

All 3 United His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.

Erm? If Pogba is playing like that in training. Jose had zero choice.
  23. Mar 13, 2018

I was angry when the news came out that pogba was starting over mctominay , imagine my horror when I realized it was Fellaini
  24. Mar 13, 2018

Ish Lights on for Luke

This. Left Matic completely isolated and overrun. And we ended up trying to hoof it to Lukaku and Fellaini.

Fellaini, just recently back from an injury, should have been brought on in the 2nd half - either when we were chasing the game to use him as a plan B or if we were ahead, to try and shore up midfield.

I’m more shocked that McTominay never started, especially after his Pool performance. Lingard is another who’s sat on the bench recently. Should have been Mata starting ahead of him. Rashford should have stayed on the left. All in all, really confusing selection and tactics.
  25. Mar 13, 2018

paulscholes18 Full Member

Think it’s Jose’s way of trying to get him to stay, no way should Mctominay have been dropped after his performance vs Liverpool
  26. Mar 13, 2018

Jericholyte2 Full Member

At least he'll be gone in the summer.
  27. Mar 13, 2018

BigBebe Full Member

I have no idea where Fellaini was meant to be playing. At times he was our forwardmost player, other times a defender, the one thing he didn't do was to help Matic control the midfield. So we ended up punting it up to Lukaku, time and time again with Rashford, Lingard and Sanchez feeding off scraps.

To play against a Spanish team without controlling the midfield is utter nonsense.
  28. Mar 13, 2018

Greck Full Member

Hoofball target but Sevilla saw our game against Liverpool and did well defending those channels and our aerial outlet. Should have stuck with a lineup that could mix it up like we did Chelsea and Liverpool. Instead we put all our eggs in the hoofball basket
  29. Mar 13, 2018

walkinhop Full Member

I keep seeing Pogba being mentioned. Who do you think is responsible for his lack of belief lately? Where is his arrogance? He's been shot just like any other creative player we have. Sanchez is poor, Martial doesn't play.
  30. Mar 13, 2018

breakout67 Full Member

I don't really understand it, Lukaku has been improving at being a target man, yet he felt the need to use Fellaini for that.

I felt we didn't have enough players going for the second balls, Fellaini was knocking the ball down and no one was getting to them.

This obsession with Fellaini is really strange, because Mourinho isn't known for hoofball. His teams are solid at the back, and quick at counter attacking. Fellaini does very little to make us more solid, and is not good at counter attacking whatsoever.
  31. Mar 13, 2018

gza the genius Full Member

Who else was supposed to play though? Pogba was too hurt to play three days ago and as good as Mctominay has been he wasn't going to help us out going forward any more than Fellaini did. Fellaini wasn't the issue for me, it was switching Rashford to the right and then not bothering to make any changes up top until after they already scored.
  32. Mar 13, 2018

engulfing Full Member

I though Fellaini played pretty well bar some poor shooting. He was causing sevilla problems. Fellaini is overpowered in European matches because teams are not used to players like him.
  33. Mar 13, 2018

Devil may care Full Member

The usual suspects are bringing Pogba up but forget that issue, McTominay should have started if we were using a double pivot as he's worked well with Matic there. I will say that not playing Mata was just as bad of a choice as playing Fellaini.

Despite the handshake in the tunnel after the Liverpool game I do feel there's an issue with him and Mourinho.
  34. Mar 13, 2018

The Purley King Full Member

McTominay should start you daft cnut.
    /thread
  35. Mar 13, 2018

R'hllor Full Member

Its not a decision, its auto pilot.
  36. Mar 14, 2018

Andy_Cole Full Member

I was annoyed when I saw him on the team sheet. Fuming now. When he’s on we play good ball.

I think Jose needs to go. With Fellaini following.
  37. Mar 14, 2018

wolvored Full Member

Think its Mous way to get tree to sign a new contract. Fergie wouldnt have had him in the squad if he wasnt prepared to sign a new contract
  38. Mar 14, 2018

groovyalbert Full Member

Starting Fellaini over Pogba, McTominay and even Mata was idiotic. He’s not played for four months and Lukaku has proven himself the perfect aerial target in recent weeks. Tonight the eyes of Europe were on us and that’s what we showed. Just wow.
  39. Mar 14, 2018

bond19821982 Full Member

Decision to start him was okay but he was asked to play high up in the field. If we had a solid base of 2 midfielders, it would have been fine.

Baffling decision from one of the most decorated cup managers.
  40. Mar 14, 2018

Sylar Full Member

Cos he's one that Jose believes in
    Sad as it is, if he didn't get injured I don't think mctominay gets as many minutes/ games as he has has

But regardless i think it was bonkers to drop mctominay for somebody who hasn't started before today
    Pogba was worse though lol

Playing him in a midfield 2 should not be happening for United in 2018... yet here we are