Dejan Lovren

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by VorZakone, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Mar 11, 2018

Eyepopper Lowering the tone since 2006

Maybe he should've had his 6ft4 £75m CB mark Lukaku from the get go, rather than Lovern.
  2. Mar 11, 2018

TheReligion Abusive

Agreed. Especially when Klopp moaned about United playing direct to Lukaku post game and said it's what he expected!
  3. Mar 11, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Not going to bother with prices they're all crazy really, I've seen a number of defenders struggle for us over the years and he's just stood out, he can be lackadaisical at times but the lad really is top drawer. Look maybe the Liverpool curse hits him and he does do a Lovren but he has attributes that seem to transcend any system which was initially my major concern in signing him from a side with a different style of play .

Yeah it does he's won like 85 percent or something of aerial duels, and we would have known Jose's gamelan beforehand it's absolutely absurd we didn't set up to counter it. Even if we didn't want to switch them over at least do so when the ball is dead or have Can sit on him to box him in rather than giving him a free header. I don't know if it was on Klopp or if instructions weren't carried out. It seems ludicrous to think we didn't bother to counteract our opponents most potent weapon.

In the grander scheme of things I am slightly worried by our away record against the big sides this season, given the upcoming CL games. It's a stark contrast to last season and my own theory is it's 50/50 tactics and personell. Hopefully we can rectify it if not we'll likely tweak in pre season.
    I can't see Klopp compromising the way he plays next season too, but he might have to if he doesn't get the players in.
  4. Mar 11, 2018

Angry Virginian New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Their tactics don't work like that. Lovren right CB and VVD left CB. Switching them on the fly during play would invite an even greater disaster. Switching them from left to right and vice versa also would l not work as Lukalu would just go to whatever side Lovren was on.
  5. Mar 11, 2018

Android1974 Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups City Lover

I was made fun by Liverpool fans when I suggested he might start ahead of Matip. After the game, Mourinho had some unusual statements, saying Lukaku had experience with him and was confident of facing him. Pretty humiliating, if you ask me.
  6. Mar 11, 2018

Eyepopper Lowering the tone since 2006

What would be a greater disaster than conceding 2 goals from identical plays, as a matter of interest?

You don't have to permanently switch your CBs, you just have to say "when DDG has the ball at feet and is going long, make sure youre on Lukaku!"
  7. Mar 11, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Lovren used to play on the left of Matip IIRC. VVD being right footed should have no problem switching during the game if Klopp gave instruction. I meant the most expensive CB can't do a job helping out the team? What would be greater disaster? VVD is even shittier against Lukaku in aerial duel?
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  8. Mar 11, 2018

LLMU Full Member

I guess they were studying how Lukaku seldom wins header against defender. And saying yes Lovren can handle him easily.
  9. Mar 11, 2018

Angry Virginian New Member

Supports:
    Tottenham
    You originally suggested having VVD mark Lukaku. What if Lukaku started by posting up VVD before DDG run up to the ball but ran over to the Lovren side once DDG is into his run up. Should VVD continue tracking Lukaku to the Lovren side and leave open a gaping hole on his original side? If the answer is no your suggested tactics of having VVD mark Lukaku at all highballs does not work in the real world.
  10. Mar 11, 2018

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Funny how Liverpool fans rate Matip, many said he was one of the best in the league and all that, he isn't even first choice ahead of Lovren and Lovren is as average as they come.
  11. Mar 11, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva

How we were "park the bus" United and how Liverpool would never stoop so low.
  12. Mar 11, 2018

Rooney in Paris Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down Scout

He had 6 decent months at Southampton in an incredibly defensive set up and next to a CB in the form of his life. He'd been torrid most of the time at Lyon (OL fans were glad to get rid of him), and he's shown what quality of defender he is once again. He's just very poor.
  13. Mar 11, 2018

engulfing Full Member

Average is an insult to most premier league defenders, the average premier league defender may not be extremely technically accomplished but most have better decicion making abilities. Lovren just doesn't think very well.
  14. Mar 11, 2018

RC89 Full Member

Ha. Bet he goes home and just thinks about how shit he was and cost Liverpool the game all on his own.
  15. Jul 11, 2018

Infordin Full Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Plays in a Champions League final and now in a World Cup final. :lol:
  16. Jul 11, 2018

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Tbf to him he's done really well this world cup. Normally a mistake waiting to happen but he seems very assured for croatia
  17. Jul 11, 2018

IrishRedDevil Full Member

He was getting roasted in the first half tonight. Why do people overlook this? He was grabbing players and playing more rugby than football. He always looks nervous and likes to flap and moan.
  18. Jul 11, 2018

Aboutreika18 Full Member

He's one of those defenders who struggles when he has to lead a defence but is perfectly capable of being a competent partner to someone more dominant like Fonte, van Dijk or Vida.
  19. Jul 11, 2018

ti vu Full Member

More like he plays for a team with a defensive tactic. He was dedent for Soton too. He still looks very very at time too, but being less exposed, helped him not to fall apart
  20. Jul 11, 2018

Raw Full Member

How he didn't even get one yellow card is beyond me.
  21. Jul 11, 2018

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Wow, I hadn't thought about this. Apparently the quality of players is better today compared to 10-15 years ago...hard to believe when a guy like Lovren is playing such finals.
  22. Jul 11, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    He's not as bad as made out. He's good with us next to VVD and thrived in the Southampton system.
  23. Jul 11, 2018

IrishRedDevil Full Member

It’s trying to rewrite things. Most Liverpool fans I know were furious when he was given a new 5 year contract and wanted a new CB this summer.

Do you honestly think tonight’s first half performance was good?
  24. Jul 11, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Loses both miserably to a far superior team. Have no worry about that.
  25. Jul 11, 2018

NYAS Full Member

Did anyone just see his interview on BeIN Sports? The cnut called himself one of the best defenders in the world :lol:

Hope someone can find that video online soon
  26. Jul 11, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The gap between France & Croatia is substantially smaller than the gap between Real & Liverpool in my opinion. That's going to be some midfield battle on Sunday :drool:
  27. Jul 11, 2018

izec Full Member

Vida and him are doing great. They are not the best partnership at the WC, but they are surprisingly stable
  28. Jul 11, 2018

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

France will win comfortably. By two goals minimum. They’re the only team in the tournament without a weak area.
  29. Jul 11, 2018

Tommy bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered

Supports:
    Liverpool
    If they concede the first goal & can't play with 10 behind the ball, I can see Modric/Rakatic unlocking their loosened defence & perhaps grabbing a second. If France score first, it's over for me.

But yeah, on topic, Lovren has been pretty good since VVD came in, and while lucky to get away without a booking tonight (or even a sending off), he wasn't bad there either. I'd rather see us improve on our keeper & midfield before we swapped him out honestly.
  30. Jul 11, 2018

Stookie Nurse bell end

Played with a level of shithousery tonight. Don’t know how he didn’t get booked. I couldn’t stand the thought of him lifting the WC.
  31. Jul 12, 2018

Liver_bird Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I want him as 3rd choice. But at the end of the day barring 2 awful performances he was part of a pretty good backline last season.
    He is what he is. He's not world class but he's capable of playing to an extremely high level. His brainfarts will always negate that though.
  32. Jul 12, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    My question is why can't he put up his Croatia performances in a Liverpool shirt?
  33. Jul 12, 2018

SER19 Full Member

Thought for the first hour he was having a career ending performance along the lines of neville at west brom or blancs last few games here. He is truly such a limited defender. Ended up making a decent block at one point and croatia were collectively resolute but he really is dreadful. Thought early on that sterling would have a field day the way england kept releasing him early. Mbappe could well ruin him, vida not quick either. Not sure deschamps will but id play mbappe through middle, playing giroud plays into their hands
  34. Jul 12, 2018

ti vu Full Member

I wrote in my post earlier something along the line: defensive tactic. He is still shaky, but with more protection from wingers, wide attackers work hard to help defending, a decent defensive midfielder and 2 midfielders that composed with their passing. It relieves plenty of pressure. Defending set pieces, there are bunch of aerial capable players to help him out so he is not to go against opposition best aerial threat. Basically he is less exposed to 1 vs 1 & outnumbered situation, and doesn't have to worry about pacy forwards with acres of space behind his team high line
  35. Jul 12, 2018

Kapardin Full Member

He's improved over time. Been pretty decent for Liverpool as well.
  36. Jul 12, 2018

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber Thus says Kemo

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
    That makes great sense actually. I suppose Pool signing Keita and Fabinho might help in terms of protection from midfield at club level
  37. Jul 12, 2018

AgentP Full Member

Come on France, please don't let Lovren become a world champion!
  38. Jul 12, 2018

Adisa likes to take afvanadva

Look at this muppet.
  39. Jul 12, 2018

TheGame Full Member

Best in the world :lol::lol::lol:
  40. Jul 12, 2018

MaxiPaxi likes to shove his mum's boiled eggs up his rectum

fecking hell. Becoming a true Scouser. The delusion is strong in this one.

Muppet.