Did we take our success for granted as fans?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Eddy_JukeZ, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Feb 12, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Seeing that Rio, Vidic and Evra thread makes me realize that we had some superb players(I know they were superb at the time, but their legacy grows every year considering the players that have 'replaced' them) that were United through and through, and led by the great man himself.

From that period of 2006 to 2013, it was arguably the most successive period in the club's history and it seems like it's been decades since that considering the years that have followed.

It's been 5 years without a proper challenge at the title now.

I suppose I'm wondering if anyone like me wishes they appreciated those times even more.

I knew the years following Fergie would likely be tough, but didn't think it'd be like this.

I'm not old enough to have witnessed the barren years the club endured and I really got into United right after the World Cup in 2006 and our incredible success followed afterwards.

It just makes you appreciate how great our team used to be and just showcases how extraordinary SAF really was. I don't think there's a comparable manager in any team sport in what he did.

That next league title whenever it happens will be extra sweet as you take them for granted before.

Curious if anyone else(young or old) feel the same.
  2. Feb 12, 2018

Keeps It tidy Hates Messi

Duh
  3. Feb 12, 2018

Ian Reus Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

I started supporting United when the FA cup was the important trophy for us during the Ron Atkinson era.
    I probably took top 4 for granted after SAF left though.
  4. Feb 12, 2018

Hephaestus Full Member

Think this is it for me. I knew that when Fergie left that we weren't going to be quite as successful or win as many titles, that's an impossible standard in a league that produces consecutive winners so infrequently. I just didn't see the drop-off being so big that we've finished in the top four in only one season since.
  5. Feb 12, 2018

Sylar Full Member

Not only that, but seeing how opposition team fans are reacting now, I also was too nice to them when we were winning everything. I should have been a sore winner if anything.
  6. Feb 12, 2018

Trizy Full Member

I could swear there has been a thread titled pretty much the same every season since Fergie :lol:
  7. Feb 12, 2018

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

I certainly did. Under Sir Alex, it felt like I would either go to games or watch on TV with a feeling of "hurry up and win then" as if that was the only possible outcome. When I'd go to games, there was generally that air of expectancy among the majority of people there. It also meant that when we didn't win, I personally got more annoyed about it than I do now, because it seemed impossible that we wouldn't win. United always win. If we weren't winning with a minute to go, you still believed we could, and we often still did. That feeling is long gone.

When I went to games in the Moyes season, despite the football being horrid, the atmosphere was largely quite fun. That air of expectancy was gone. We didn't feel invincible and felt more of a need to drive the team on. OT was quite loud that year, as it was often quite flat in the last years under Sir Alex, except for big games. Winning wasn't a habit anymore. It was hard earned.

Now when we lose, I don't sulk for the rest of the day/weekend like I used to do, because we don't always win anymore, I don't completely expect it. When winning becomes a habit, not winning becomes inexcusable. We probably took that for granted as fans, as the run of success was so long. For a lot of fans, United were hugely successful for the vast majority of their lifetime.

Definitely should have gloated more. Especially as I went to school in West Yorkshire surrounded by Leeds fans.
  8. Feb 12, 2018

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Yes we did take success for granted

Being a hugely successful football team for a large number of years tends to have that affect on us simple fans. It's a natural reaction.
  9. Feb 12, 2018

Sky1981 Fending off the urge

We're successful in the past because there's not many competition there.

The proper sugar daddy club saf beat is chelsea, city are just starting up.

So if you put jose team today against our 90-00 oppositions we will win the league.
  10. Feb 12, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

That's doing a disservice to those Arsenal teams. They didn't amount to much in Europe, but domestically they were excellent.

To suggest we were only successful without much competition is insane imo.

Our title wins in 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 were probably during the most competitive and most quality top heavy the Prem has ever been since its inception.
  11. Feb 12, 2018

The invincibles? They're good. But here's a catch, name the third dominant team around that era. I don't recall anyone manages to really gives fergie a bang for his bucks other than a few odd dark horse one year wonder.

Compared to today where city and chelsea constantly taking turns in winning the league
  12. Feb 12, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Yes. We took winning as guaranteed and some are struggling now to accept we're no longer best club in England and a lot of work need to be done.

We have been above all English teams by the time SAF retired. Moyes getting 7th place immediately after SAF retiring reset the whole club ambition to getting top 4 instead of competing for the league. The other teams continued their development while we sunk lower and lower. Now we're trying to play a catch up. If we had got a competent manager after SAF that at least finished in top after SAF retired, we would have been in bar with all other top teams by now. We fecked up the transition from SAF.

Now we're trying to catch up with other teams who had taken several steps ahead of us. It hurts some of our fans who are used to success and only success but we'll need patience whatever they liked it or not.

I think these kind of periods always make you love the team more, appreciate any trophy won as it's not that easy and realize if you really support this club because you love it or you were just a glory hunter from the start.
  13. Feb 12, 2018

Eddy_JukeZ Full Member

Jose's Chelsea?

Wenger's Arsenal certainly gave us a challenge too. Not like either were 1 year wonders.

City haven't won the league since 2014. Hardly them and Chelsea taking turns. Every time they've won the league since Fergie retired, they've followed it up with a pathetic title defense.
  14. Feb 12, 2018

Jose chelsea i did mentioned that in my op. But before that there's only arsenal and that that.

For most of saf era we're like madrid of england minus the barcelona
  15. Feb 12, 2018

Gopher Brown Full Member

What should we have done differently exactly?
  16. Feb 12, 2018

Massive Spanner Thinks Geoff Shreeves has one

wow, bonkers.

The best Arsenal teams under Wenger and Chelsea circa. 04/09 were better than any side we've been up against post SAF other than the City one this season. Also the PL top four have been rubbish in Europe this decade in comparison to last decade.

If Fergie was still in charge from 2013-now we'd have probably won the league another three or four times. The man was amazing and it's doing a massive disservice to him to say we were only as successful because of a lack of competition.
  17. Feb 12, 2018

Ian Reus Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

Got a better manager in after SAF to overse the transition.
  18. Feb 12, 2018

Gopher Brown Full Member

I’m not sure the fans have that sort of power
  19. Feb 12, 2018

Denis' cuff Full Member

No doubt younger fans did but tbf, understandably so. We older ones had a greater perspective and awareness of the transitional nature of the game. I’d totally given up on anything other than permanent Liverpool success and then.... :) Paisley went and in came Fergie.

If it’s all you know you think it’s forever.
  20. Feb 12, 2018

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Let me take this thread in another direction if I may and ask the question

'How many more years without winning the title till you become concerned that we'll become the next Liverpool?'
  21. Feb 12, 2018

James Peril Banned

Very natural - and expected, but I also think most people knew bad times were coming and planned for it to happen. It's only healthy to be honest, both for us as fans and the competition. Saying that, we are 2nd in the league and we lifted two trophies last year as well as the Community Shield. Clubs like Spurs and Liverpool are at an all-time high in the Premier League-era, their fans feel they are flying, but both clubs are behind us in the table and have absolutely no idea what it feels like to lift a trophy.
  22. Feb 12, 2018

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I know I didn't, I really truly worried about the club once it was known that it was SAF's final season but more importantly when the club started to get linked with David fecking Moyes :houllier:
  23. Feb 12, 2018

FrenchRed Full Member

Same, my first game I remember properly was the 1985 cup final when I was 7 or 8 (and a bit of the 82/83). For me we were always a cup team, with my Liverpool supporting mates giving me stick about not having won anything for years.

I didn't expect us to slip so badly since SAF as we were a well oiled unit both on and off the pitch, but I also didn't expect the board to appoint absolutely appalling replacements in Moyes and Vangle. I blame a lot of the damage on the board. The rebuilding Mourinho has had to do can't be understated.
  24. Feb 12, 2018

Random Task Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I wasn't all that concerned when Fergie retired, I had enough faith in the club that they would appoint a worthy successor. I expected a seemless transition and continued success inevitable. It wasn't until Moyes was announced as the new manager that I truly began bricking it.

We all remember where we were on the day David fecking Moyes was granted the United job. It was a cold, dark day for any true United fan.
  25. Feb 12, 2018

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

Disagree with your posts in this thread.